US school pays Muslim student 350K in discrimination suit

Not good for her, not good for anyone.

I was bullied for being short, I was short because my dad and mother were shorter than average. I was bullied for always bringing strange foods to eat at school because my mother packed stranger than normal lunches. No one gave me 350k.

Not good for her, not good for anyone.

I was bullied for being short, I was short because my dad and mother were shorter than average. I was bullied for always bringing strange foods to eat at school because my mother packed stranger than normal lunches. No one gave me 350k.
And no one should.

"Anti-discrimination" is a bunch of nonsense. I am not defending discrimination, by the way; I am simply defending the freedom of individuals to choose the people they want to associate with.

codanblad:
i agree that i am forcing my beliefs upon others, but that's what every government does. ”

And it's stupid

i've hypothetically assumed control of the government and enforced my beliefs for the sake of the argument, i wouldn't presume to do so in real life.

in theory a government enforces the beliefs of the people and though we know the flaws of the system, we haven't come up with something better. so just calling it stupid seems uncalled for, its a system which has been refined over a long time.

“ in my posts i've assumed that we would be taking on that role. leaving people free to do as they please isn't what's best for society. ”

Ultimately someone must make the choices; therefore even with government, PEOPLE are still in charge. It's just some people over others; what makes them any better?

And you do not get to decide what is "best for society", only best for yourself.

theoretically those people are doing their best to represent everyone, its not a few people over others assuming superiority. and they were voted in, thats what 'makes them better'. when someone is in a position to influence/change society, they do need to decide what is best for society. its their job.

again, its hypothetical, and i do get to decide what's best for society.

“ i'm only trying to enforce non-privatization for primary and secondary education ”

That isn't your choice, however

hypothetically it is. if you're saying i'm not in charge of the universe, no shit.

“ what you're suggesting is segregation ”

No, I am suggesting free association. If people freely choose to associate with minorities and mix, then that is great. If not, I am not going to force them to.

taking into account there's already tension between groups who feel alienated from each other, what do you think widening the gap will result in? i agree it'll be good if they mix, but its unlikely people will, they stay in their own group cos its safe and familiar.

everyone is part of society whether they like it or not, and i don't think expecting them to help maintain social stability is a big ask. you're defending certain freedoms, but are you looking at the consequences. too much freedom is anarchy, and imo avoiding that is worth a couple of hassles.

Back