Until you give all animals equal rights to humans,

sorry i didn't mean moral relativism, when i said merit/integrity i meant truth. when i said relativism i meant 'truth is according to each individual.'

Fair enough.

what is an argument which supports 'consensus is a good indication of truth' or 'consensus is truth'? do you agree with either statement?

I agree with neither.
The reason for this being that in both cases, you're including this element of 'truth'. 'Truth', in my mind, has no relevance whatsoever to the ethical realm.
'Truth' is an epistemic function. Ethics is a function of judgement.

The reason for this being that in both cases, you're including this element of 'truth'. 'Truth', in my mind, has no relevance whatsoever to the ethical realm.

we're not discussing ethics, we're discussing your mentioning of the notion that 'general consensus is that general consensus is the best means of determining truth'.

how's this then: 'general consensus has no effect on the accuracy of information, unless you believe reality is defined by popular opinion'? i didn't realise this argument was over semantics until it was too late. did you really not know what i meant by truth?

we're not discussing ethics,...

..We should be (and were...), and if we're not, then this has gone off topic...(and then we'll get in trouble..).

...we're discussing your mentioning of the notion that 'general consensus is that general consensus is the best means of determining truth'.

I don't understand this.

how's this then: 'general consensus has no effect on the accuracy of information, unless you believe reality is defined by popular opinion'?

Your two clauses here are not necessarily (or causally) related.
Consensus is the sole source of accuracy of information.
Information and reality (sic) are not co-dependent.

i didn't realise this argument was over semantics until it was too late.

Ahh.. the beauty of semantics.
It's always about semantics... :)

did you really not know what i meant by truth?

Yes, I really did not know.
Nor do I still.

People much too casually toss around the word 'reality' with rarely giving any thought to the word and its attendant implications.

People much too casually toss around the word 'reality' with rarely giving any thought to the word and its attendant implications.

And some people give it so much thought they lose sight of their own basis for thinking at all.

And some people give it so much thought they lose sight of their own basis for thinking at all.

There are those people as well.

I'm not sure how it relates to a 'basis for thinking' (whatever that might be..) however..

Back