Unspeakable—Roderick Arrington Jr. Dead at 7; Parents Charged

Do you see anyone advocating for the removal of homework or education because they don't believe in them?
I believe this is a subtle attempt to ''normalise'' the idea of ''scriptures'', ''God'', and religion as perverse ideologies.

There is a lot more to cases like these, which involve parents, and step-parents murdering, and abusing their children. Why make such a big deal of the
religious angle...

What?

You are the only person making 'a big deal' about the religious angle. No one else was.

Here is how this thread panned out..

People expressed disgust at what these parents did.. You expressed disgust because the word "bible" is mentioned.. Really.. It defies logic Jan.​

As I explained to Neverfly in a similar thread about a muslim women who murdered her child, and the reading of the qu'ran was implicated as a ''religious reason'' for
the death, there are other, more serious problem associated with this kind of disorder from parents and step-parents for which there is extensive scientific study and research which does not involve ''religion''.
There is a disorder for parents who murder their children because their child failed to do something like read a religious text now?

The woman beat her child to death and then set his body on fire to try to hide evidence of her crime because the child had not memorised parts of the Quran, because she and her husband (the child's father) apparently had a desire that their son would become a Hafiz and then they murdered him when the poor child was unable to memorise the Quran..

It is not the religion that is bad but the people who take it to these extremes who are bad.

There was no implication of a 'religious reason'.

The Marquis,

Is that not what I just said? Did you see anyone calling for such a thing?

I meant in general.

Did you see anyone arguing about the relevance of religion to this case?

Unless the killing/abuse of children, by their parents are isolated cases (which I doubt), what is the significance of this particular case?

You were. Take the time to read the responses above your first one, and see if you can figure it out.
No one was. Other than you. You were the first one to mention it.

Read above.

jan.

Notes on Missing the Point

Jan Ardena said:

Because it gives the impression that the "Bible" was somehow the cause of the boy's murder.
I'm surprise you have to ask.

Actually, it's not that I have to ask; instead, I'm surprised you went there.

For instance, there is a point I left out of my commentary, and I omitted it intentionally. Why? Because I figured it was time to give it a rest; after all, my side won last month, and the question is going to be settled, I think, come June.

It didn't seem like a point worth making; why push the point when it's not necessary?

Thus: Yeah. Every child deserves a mother and a father.

I would say, instead, that children deserve parents who actually love them.

Once upon a time, back in the 1980s, Tacoma, Washington was wracked by gang violence. When the headline emerged that a guy had been shot to death so that the bangers could steal his shoes, people were taken aback. And it's true, some tried to make a point about the inferiority of blacks. But for most, the point was that the gang situation got so bad that they were killing each other for shoes. Not because one didn't have any shoes, but because one wanted nicer shoes than the nice shoes he was already wearing.

Back then, it wasn't about black people. It was about how out of control the situation had grown. Today, sure, there are people who will exploit the Bible, and while it's true I think they have more legitimate reasons to wonder about the influence of religion than folks in the '80s had to wonder about the humanity of black people, it really is a subordinate point; one can certainly exploit this tragedy as a point about the dangers of religion, but guess what? You are the one who invited the question in this thread.

This was a seven year-old, and he was behaving much as a seven year-old is supposed to behave. Religion or no, it's an absolutely absurd reason to kill someone. Like the woman who killed her twelve year-old daughter by forcing her to drink bleach because the girl lost her virginity. Or the woman who killed her sons because she saw one of them kill a frog, and took it as a sign from God.

This is a problematic, even shocking, human condition. These clearly were not intelligent people; when the boy slipped into an unresponsive state, they actually called their pastor first. They needed to be told to take the boy to a hospital.

I intentionally left the problems of uneducated religion out of it. I intentionally left the question of those astonishing heteros out of it.

The Bible? That's one of the reasons the parents gave why the child was beaten to death. And yes, it is a somewhat shocking reason. It's not like the father who beat his teenage son into critical condition because he caught the boy sexually abusing the young stepsister.

People can introduce the politics all they want, but people understand the heat of passion when it's something like raping a young girl. Some would even cheer that thrashing, but those who wouldn't at least get the idea of the scale of the issues involved. This was lying about homework, or reading a Bible passage. This wasn't just a stupid reason to beat a child to death, it's a mind-bogglingly stupid reason to beat a child at all.

True, I expected the religious angle would come up at some point, but I can honestly say I didn't expect the religious to invoke the question. In the long run, yes, the question of religion arises, in either context, poor conduct or gay marriage. But either of those are largely exploitative political points; even I, who am generally hostile toward this manner of Christian faith, can look past that question.

I've known people who would take a swing at their young children for reasons having nothing to do with the Bible. The only real difference between them and the Palmers is pretty much accidental—they didn't kill their children, though we all know they easily could have. And, yes, just like the Palmers, it would have been an accident.

dtbgm04suokicked0.png

dtbgm04suokicked1.png

"Contractor or not, she's just a kid, Hei. They die more easily. You know?"

Not everyone has a talking momonga to remind them of the obvious. Of course, the Palmers shouldn't have needed one; Bible or not—this could have been about bedwetting or the cookie jar—it's a really stupid reason to beat a child. At least in Hei's case (cartoon frames above), Suo was dumb enough to point a rifle at him when she had no intention of shooting. If you're going to kick a kid twelve feet out a door, you really ought to have a reason.

Markiece Palmer didn't have a good reason to beat and shake Roderick Arrington Jr. to death. Dina Palmer didn't have a good reason to stand by and let it happen. When I see her weeping at her arraignment, it is not empathy I feel, but a poisonous spike of, "Why are you crying?"

The Bible? It's a really dumb reason to beat a kid, but it's the reason they gave.

Shall we start omitting such descriptions of tragic events in order to be sensitive to the religious? Is that what you would prefer? So that people never really know what all went into a tragedy because it might emotionally distress some religious person somewhere to think that some half-witted moron who beat his kid to death would cite a failure to read the Bible among his reasons?

I loathe eugenics in general, but these are the sort of parents that make it sound like a good idea to have a licensing system for reproduction.

After all, you need a license to have a dog ....

Tiassa, this is sadly all to common. I had reason to read the institute of criminology states on homocide a while ago and it's appaling, I can't pull up the graph now but it was at least somewhere between 50 and 60 percent of children killed were by the custodial parent and another 20 % the non custodial

Neglect was the most common cause of death followed by physical abuse

Back