Unspeakable—Roderick Arrington Jr. Dead at 7; Parents Charged

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Unspeakable
Allegations so terrible you hope they're not true

It is the sort of lede you never really want to see, and once you see it, you really don't want to believe it

Police in Las Vegas allege that a 7-year-old boy was beaten to death by his parents after failing to read the Bible or do his homework.

(Huffington Post)

According to the Huffington Post, seven year-old Roderick Arrington, Jr., arrived at a Las Vegas hospital on November 29, unconscious and unresponsive. The young boy died the next afternoon. Hospital personnel called police after young R.J. was admitted because "they observed severe bruising and brain swelling".

Police arrested the boy's mother, Dina Palmer, 27, and stepfather, Markiece Palmer, 34, and charged them with the murder of the boy. Investigators said that Palmer "stood by and let her husband" shake and beat the boy to death.

According to KLAS, the arrest report detailed "open abrasions on [Arrington's] buttocks, severe bruising to his thighs, marks and bruises on his back and shoulders and evidence of previous beatings."

Markiece Palmer stated the second grade student was spanked on Nov. 27 because he had lied about reading the Bible; he said the boy was also spanked the following day for not finishing his homework, according to police.

Police claim the boy's stepfather beat him with a spatula, belt and possibly a wooden paddle. Dina Palmer allegedly struck her son on his buttocks with both a belt and her hand.

The couple reportedly called a pastor before dialing 911. KSNV writes, "Pastor Kenneth Hollingsworth says he's as shocked as anyone that Markiece Palmer chose to call him before first-responders."

Markiece and Dina Palmer were both charged on Tuesday with murder, child abuse, and neglect.

Dina Palmer, above, weeps as she hears the charges against her in the death of Roderick Arrington Jr., her seven year-old son.

It is difficult, sometimes, to countenance certain human frailty. Small lies, like doing homework or reading the Bible, are expected behavior in young children; their brains instinctively seek behavioral norms, and certain behaviors are the mind's way of comprehending the boundaries of normal socialization. It is not so much that such behavior should be given free rein, but, rather, that it must be understood in its context. One can literally watch a child do something, ask them in the next second, "Why did you do that?" and hear an inevitable response: "I didn't."

This is, to a certain degree, normal.

But for those who reject, disdain, or are simply ignorant of psychological processes, lying is simply lying, and defiance is simply defiance; nature itself can become a moral offense.

There is a decades-old joke: "You need a license to have a dog, but anyone can have a child." Naturally, some days this just isn't funny, and if e'er we find such a day, this would be it.

In the end, one hopes there is some other reason Roderick Arrington, Jr., is dead. Parents who beat their children are a problematic question, but it should never, ever go this far. This is well beyond the pale intended by those who defend physical violence against children as a necessity of discipline. The allegations against Markiece and Dina Palmer suggest a horrific human frailty we rightly fear, for there is neither comfort nor justice sufficient to assuage the wounds inflicted upon those who loved Roderick Arrington, Jr. And there is nothing we can do to claim him back from death.

"Questions unanswered remain; alone they mourn a fragile mind." Fates Warning

Notes:

The Huffington Post. "Roderick Arrington, Las Vegas Boy, Allegedly Beaten To Death After Lying About Bible, Homework". December 5, 2012. HuffingtonPost.com. December 6, 2012. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ten-death-bible-homework-video_n_2245381.html

aka good parenting.

Also, social Darwinism at its best. Stupid people should breed.

I'm curious why the ''Bible'' is mentioned in this title.
Is it just not bad enough that the boy was murdered by his parents?

jan.

The obvious question

Jan Ardena said:

Are you really?

Well, let's put it this way, Jan: Why are you curious why the Bible is mentioned in the title?

Civilisation is merely paint. Artwork, even. An artist painting an idyllic forest scene.

Take away enforcement, and you get Sylvia Likens.

I'm curious why the ''Bible'' is mentioned in this title. Is it just not bad enough that the boy was murdered by his parents?
Religion is a hot topic in America. It has been since the "Born Again" revival began around 1980, just as we were all giving each other high fives and assuming that religion was finally fading away, as it clearly is in Europe and the Antipodes.

Religion is arguably the most divisive issue among us. For example it's at the root of two of our most contentious debates: abortion and gay marriage.

So any event that may show religion in a bad light is really big news.

Well, let's put it this way, Jan: Why are you curious why the Bible is mentioned in the title?

Because it gives the impression that the ''Bible'' was somehow the cause of the boy's murder.
I'm surprise you have to ask. :bugeye:

jan.

Religion is a hot topic in America. It has been since the "Born Again" revival began around 1980, just as we were all giving each other high fives and assuming that religion was finally fading away, as it clearly is in Europe and the Antipodes.

Religion is arguably the most divisive issue among us. For example it's at the root of two of our most contentious debates: abortion and gay marriage.

So any event that may show religion in a bad light is really big news.

Even if it has to be 'bumped up'?

jan.

Jan Ardena said:
Because it gives the impression that the ''Bible'' was somehow the cause of the boy's murder.
I'm surprise you have to ask.

No, it is because xtian religious extremism is what killed the boy. Many terrible and disgusting things are done to children by abusive parents in the name of religion, this appears to be yet another of these events. :(

Unfortunately, I am not surprised that someone has raised a defense of their actions. :puke:

No, it is because xtian religious extremism is what killed the boy. Many terrible and disgusting things are done to children by abusive parents in the name of religion, this appears to be yet another of these events. :(

Unfortunately, I am not surprised that someone has raised a defense of their actions. :puke:

Please explain the ''religious extremism'' in this case?

And while you're at it please explain why you think I'm defending their actions, or please retract the statement.

jan.

Last edited:
No, Jan, I think you'll find you're about the only one making any kind of connection in this sense at all.
It was you who bought it up to begin with.

Did you see anyone else making a big deal out of kids being beaten to death because they hadn't done their homework, and trying to shift the focus to education?
Get a grip.

Please explain the ''religious extremism'' in this case?
You don't think beating a child to death because he failed to read the bible and do his homework is "extreme"? You don't think people who put such importance on a religious text, to the point where they kill their child because he failed to read it are not religious extremists? What about the woman who beat her son to death and then set his body on fire because he had failed to memorise the Quran? Do you think that is 'religious extremism'?

And while you're at it please explain why you think I'm defending their actions, or please retract the statement.
Possibly because you are nitpicking about the fact that these people beat a small child to death because he did not read his bible and do his homework...

I'm surprise you have to ask.
Reading.. Comprehension.. Helps..

The child was killed because he supposedly did not read his bible (and do his homework). It isn't the bible that is at fault or the cause. It is the parents who beat him to death for having failed to read it.

No, Jan, I think you'll find you're about the only one making any kind of connection in this sense at all.

Did you see anyone else making a big deal out of kids being beaten to death because they hadn't done their homework, and trying to shift the focus to education?
Get a grip.

Do you see anyone advocating for the removal of homework or education because they don't believe in them?
I believe this is a subtle attempt to ''normalise'' the idea of ''scriptures'', ''God'', and religion as perverse ideologies.

There is a lot more to cases like these, which involve parents, and step-parents murdering, and abusing their children. Why make such a big deal of the
religious angle...

...''The mother of 7-year-old Roderick "RJ.... was investigated by Illinois authorities for striking her son at a video store six years ago....

... police were called to a Blockbuster Video store after a customer saw Dina Palmer, then known as Dina James-Beverly, strike her 17-month-old son, squeeze his head and push him face first into a video rack, according to a report obtained by the Review-Journal.....

...Palmer told an officer "she had hit her child as punishment for not listening to her" and "that she was raised to discipline children physically," the report said.''

http://www.lvrj.com/news/mother-of-dead-las-vegas-boy-faced-complaints-in-illinois-182619831.html

''Markiece Palmer told police that he had only spanked the boy twice, once after he moved to Nevada after living with his father and grandmother in Illinois, and again on the date he was admitted to the hospital. Palmer said he hit the child after the boy told him that he wasn’t his real father and that he hated him.''

http://morallowground.com/2012/12/0...ick-arrington-to-death-for-not-reading-bible/

As I explained to Neverfly in a similar thread about a muslim women who murdered her child, and the reading of the qu'ran was implicated as a ''religious reason'' for
the death, there are other, more serious problem associated with this kind of disorder from parents and step-parents for which there is extensive scientific study and research which does not involve ''religion''.

jan.

Get a grip.

Do you see anyone advocating for the removal of homework or education because they don't believe in them?
I believe this is a subtle attempt to ''normalise'' the idea of ''scriptures'', ''God'', and religion as perverse ideologies.

There is a lot more to cases like these, which involve parents, and step-parents murdering, and abusing their children. Why make such a big deal of the
religious angle...

...''The mother of 7-year-old Roderick "RJ.... was investigated by Illinois authorities for striking her son at a video store six years ago....

... police were called to a Blockbuster Video store after a customer saw Dina Palmer, then known as Dina James-Beverly, strike her 17-month-old son, squeeze his head and push him face first into a video rack, according to a report obtained by the Review-Journal.....

...Palmer told an officer "she had hit her child as punishment for not listening to her" and "that she was raised to discipline children physically," the report said.''

http://www.lvrj.com/news/mother-of-dead-las-vegas-boy-faced-complaints-in-illinois-182619831.html

''Markiece Palmer told police that he had only spanked the boy twice, once after he moved to Nevada after living with his father and grandmother in Illinois, and again on the date he was admitted to the hospital. Palmer said he hit the child after the boy told him that he wasn’t his real father and that he hated him.''

http://morallowground.com/2012/12/0...ick-arrington-to-death-for-not-reading-bible/

As I explained to Neverfly in a similar thread about a muslim women who murdered her child, and the reading of the qu'ran was implicated as a ''religious reason'' for
the death, there are other, more serious problem associated with this kind of disorder from parents and step-parents for which there is extensive scientific study and research which does not involve ''religion''.

jan.

1. You don't think beating a child to death because he failed to read the bible and do his homework is "extreme"?

2. You don't think people who put such importance on a religious text, to the point where they kill their child because he failed to read it are not religious extremists?

3. What about the woman who beat her son to death and then set his body on fire because he had failed to memorise the Quran? Do you think that is 'religious extremism'?

4. Possibly because you are nitpicking about the fact that these people beat a small child to death because he did not read his bible and do his homework...

5. Reading.. Comprehension.. Helps..
The child was killed because he supposedly did not read his bible (and do his homework). It isn't the bible that is at fault or the cause. It is the parents who beat him to death for having failed to read it.

1. I think beating a child to death is extreme.

2. Yes I do.

3. If that was the only reason, I agree. From what I read, I don't think that is the case.

4. I don't think it's nit picking.

5. ''Supposedly'', not ''definitely''.

jan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ten-death-bible-homework-video_n_2245381.html

Get a grip.

religious angle...

jan.

Get a grip.

religious angle...

jan.

P.S. I have the links to the quotes if anyone is interested.

Is that not what I just said? Did you see anyone calling for such a thing?
Did you see anyone arguing about the relevance of religion to this case?

Until you came along?

Well there's the problem. It's all you, sunshine. Alllll you.

religious angle...
You were. Take the time to read the responses above your first one, and see if you can figure it out.
No one was. Other than you. You were the first one to mention it.

Is that so terribly difficult for you to understand?

No one really gives a shit what Mormons think, you realise, until they come knocking on your door?

Back