Unnecessary Confrontations

LIGHTBEING,

Jan, sure, but why is it neccesary to take a God Hypothesis leap/position?

The decision to believe in God is no more or less scientific than the decision not to believe in God. My point is that science cannot determine whether or not God exists, by itself.

I don't think Science has an opinion on the subject if your talking about a Supernatural Personal God - but defaulting to that leaves more questions then it gives answers.

That boils down to a matter of opinion.

But that statement raises an interesting question.
If, as you say, science has no opinion on the subject, what is the basis of
non-belief by those who claim science disproves God?

Certainly science can speak on the improbability of such an entity or the need for such a deity, specifically in cosmology, biology etc. Does inserting a complex God into the equation really provide an answer?

An answer to what?

So the knowledge of the creator of the universe hinges on our own subjective perception of reality and one's own self-belief / belief system?

The ''knowledge'' of the creator of the universe like any other type of knowledge within the context of the subject matter. The context of God is essentially personal. There is no other way.
Like non-believers, believers can infer on information.
Without inference we wouldn't be having this conversation.

How is that, when there are a plethora of religions that practice Love and to Love God all with varying attributes to the one the love is directed to.

As I said, there are many ways.

I'm not saying everything we know about the natural world is wrong, it just isn't everything.

1) Why would one feel satisfied in assuming this?
2) Is it not more reasonable to assume or accept that everything we see....is everything and the unexplained is just yet another natural phenomenon that will eventually be explained by the advances in science? The later, IMO, is a strong belief in Humanity.

1) I don't feel satisfaction, it just is, at least from some perspectives.
2) I don't think science can explain everything, plus we are living in the here and now, not in some future.

Critical Thinking is ok? Critical Thinking should be required (specially with answering "The Big Questions"). Isn't it more reasonable to deploy critical thinking skills above all else then to invoke God to define your worldview?

As I said, critical thinking works under certain circumstances like in hindsight or future snituations, situations that do not really apply to us or require instantaneos decisions. Reality is right now, and we cannot always control our actions. Critical thinking can help to shape how we act, sure, but situations aren't always going to be as we envision them to be, but they require decisions all the same.
Name one critical thinker who never makes mistakes due to critical thinking?

jan.

spidergoat,

Science applies to anything that has an effect on the material world. God has an effect on the material world, so the concept can be studied by science.

The world IS the effect.

I don't have faith that the material world is all there is, I just believe it to be the case, based on the evidence that nothing non-material exists, and no evidence has ever been found for supernatural phenomenon.

You disregard all the evidence with sweeping statements, like ''mass hysteria'', believing all testimony to be delusional, or based in illusion.
You know science only deals with the material world, yet you claim there is no scientific evidence for the non-material.
It's little wonder you believe what you believe.

Science rejects any non-testable claims, and the idea of a God that can affect the natural world and remain undetected is non-testable. God explains nothing, since it cannot explain itself, and so leaves all questions still unanswered.

I believe God explains himself through scripture, and certain individuals throughout the history of the world. What is the basis of your disbelief in this? An explanation that doesn't include ''no scientific evidence'' would really liven things up right now. :)

You believe there are no elephants in your house because you can reason that it's an unlikely thing to happen, given that there are few elephants in your area apart from zoos, and there is no reason someone would put one in your house, even if it could support the weight and size.

I don't believe that there are no elephants in my house, I know, because there aren't any.

That's the same reason I believe there is no God. It's unlikely because it's unnecessary, it explains nothing, I've never seen it or experienced it, and all sorts of established science about the physical world would be contradicted by it.

If the world is an effect of God, then it explain everything, and is necessary.
You have seen it, and experienced it. And all scientific contradictions would be due to a lack of knowledge.

You may personally believe all kinds of things if it makes you happy, but you can't pretend that it's logical or supported by evidence that is in the least bit trustworthy.

Happiness, or pretence doesn't come into it, and I believe it is supported by evidence.

The essence is that firstly- wherever you seek your self you turn away from your self. Secondly- there is no self to seek. Looking for yourself is like looking for your glasses while you are wearing them.

That is the essense of your belief, the sum total of your experience (to that point in time). I can respect that. Why can't you respect my essence, my experience and my understanding of it? It's ironic, but you act the same as institute of christianity which for centuries forced the world to accept it's doctrine and disregard all others as nonsense.
You act as though we are all limited in the same way and to the same degree. As if we are robots, and must think exactly the same way as each other.

That's why I'm interested in atheism. We don't need to add belief, all we need to do is remove the obstacles of belief. So, please don't try to equate theism with incuriosity or lack of interest in the nature of self.

''Theism'' is merely a title, a name that describes a general state of mind.
I, like you, am a person, and I, like you, have my experiences and the oppotunity to experience them for myself, just like you.
Why do you feel it necessary to rubbish this? Variety is the spice of life SP, be happy with your life, and don't worry about others. We are, each and everyone of us different, that must mean something.

I do see myself as an agent of change. If Dawkins can do it, so can Ie . If Buddha can do it, so can you.

I'm not Dick Dawkins, and I'm not Buddha, I am me, and my experiences are unique to me. Try and understand.

jan.

@Jan Ardena --

My point is that science cannot determine whether or not God exists, by itself.

As I've already shown, yes, it can.

I don't think science can explain everything, plus we are living in the here and now, not in some future.

I'm reminded of a quote from Charles Darwin.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."

While it may be true that there are important questions which science can't answer(I stipulate "important" for a reason), we will never know until we try now will we?

The point of critical thinking isn't to not ever make mistakes, it's to reduce the likelihood of making mistakes while being able to learn from the mistakes we do make. It's a way to interrogate the world and learn something from it. It also helps guard us from things like confirmation bias(which theists seem to have turned into an art) which all humans are prone to, hence why we have the peer review process in science.

The world IS the effect.

Citation needed on this one. Especially since it's an unnecessary assumption. To paraphrase Laplace, our models work perfectly well without that assumption. Ockham's Razor is what defeated you here, nothing else.

You disregard all the evidence with sweeping statements, like ''mass hysteria'', believing all testimony to be delusional, or based in illusion.

Testimony alone can not validate existence claims, that's not the way it works. Some form of observation, even indirect observation, is needed to validate such claims.

If I were to tell you that I have a fire breathing dragon in my garage you would rightly ask me to prove it(to show you in other words). So let's say that you come to my garage and look in and see no dragon. "Oh, the dragon is invisible." You suggest spreading flower around to capture the footprints, "This dragon is always hovering." You now suggest splashing paint around in order to coat it with something visible, "The dragon is intangible." You suggest using thermal imaging to capture the plumes of flame, "The fire it produces is heatless." Every single test you come up with I quickly counter with a special exemption and yet I still expect you to believe me. Would you believe me or would you doubt me, perhaps questioning how I came to be aware of the dragon in the first place?

And don't try to say that this is an unfair analogy, it's the perfect analogy for the god claims made by theists. Every single possible test we conceive is swiftly countered with some special exemption(god is nonphysical[which raises the question of how it would interact with the universe], god is outside the universe[which raises the same question], etc.) and yet we're expected to accept on hearsay an element of the universe which would completely revolutionize our view of it and our place in it.

You know science only deals with the material world, yet you claim there is no scientific evidence for the non-material

Science deals with reality, regardless of whether or not it's solely physical. If there were a phenomenon which only the supernatural could explain(and this is not entirely impossible) then science would be forced to include the supernatural. If you're whinging because science looks for naturalistic explanations first, well duh. Naturalistic explanations don't require extra assumptions so parsimony requires that we look for them first, and so far we haven't been disappointed. To quote Tim Minchin, "Every mystery ever solve has turned out to be, not magic."

It's little wonder you believe what you believe.

You're right, it's little wonder that a person employing logic and reason rejects god claims and the supernatural.

I believe God explains himself through scripture, and certain individuals throughout the history of the world.

Oh I'm so glad you went this route. The internal inconsistencies in every single holy text are more than enough to dismiss them as reflecting reality, what with god commanding one thing and in the next breath commanding the opposite. Beyond that there's the fact that every holy text deals solely with matters local to where it was written, not even a hint of the outside world. The bible only deals with the Mediterranean, Chinese texts deal only with China, Japanese texts deal only with Japan, and so on.

There's also the incredibly poor quality of information contained within such texts. The bible, for example, dictates that bats are birds and insects have four legs, now I'd think that an omniscient deity would know better than that, we certainly do. Even more damning, for the bible at least, is the abominable math contained within, such as pi being 3.1 which is a horrendous approximation considering that the Egyptians not only beat the bible to the punch, but calculated pi out to six decimal places. Again, a book inspired by a deity should be able to do much better than that.

You say that god is explained in scripture, if that's true then that mean that god is homicidal, genocidal, racist, misogynistic, jealous and proud of it, authoritarian and fascistic, and downright evil. Sorry, not exactly a being I'd worship even if it did exist.

If the world is an effect of God, then it explain everything, and is necessary.

That's not the way it works and you should know that by now. We explain phenomena by looking at their causes, postulating, and testing. We can explain the existence of everything from life to the universe without positing a god, this makes any such assertions superfluous and thus unnecessary. Positing a god doesn't explain anything(it's just saying "god did it" and is no different from saying "the Giant Space Duck did it") and the god you posits requires an explanation as well, therefore multiplying your questions. That is not good science.

And all scientific contradictions would be due to a lack of knowledge.

Again, that's not the way it works. In science we work with what's available and only posit what we must to explain that, we aren't allowed to posit things which contradict evidence and then say that said contradictions are due to a lack of knowledge. You fit your hypothesis to the evidence, you don't fit the evidence to your hypothesis. Again this is bad science.

Beyond that though, this is very close to a god of the gaps argument, an argument which while not as weak as an argument from authority is very close.

Why can't you respect my essence, my experience and my understanding of it?

Because beliefs don't automatically deserve respect. For that matter, neither do people. Respect is earned and while your beliefs may not have led you to harm anyone, they are still unintelligible and thus deserving of ridicule. Show me that your beliefs deserve my respect and then I'll respect them.

It's ironic, but you act the same as institute of christianity which for centuries forced the world to accept it's doctrine and disregard all others as nonsense.

Really. Really? Last time I checked, Spidergoat wasn't forcing you to do anything. Criticizing and ridiculing your beliefs is not the same as forcing you to do anything, there's a vast difference between the two things. I love it when this shite comes out though. When an atheist criticizes a theist's beliefs, or writes a book criticizing them, they get accused of "repressing" people, but when christians and other theists do the exact same thing they're merely expressing their beliefs. And to compare any modern atheist to the Church of medieval times is grossly inaccurate, last time I checked no atheist ever has burned a theist at the stake merely for being a theist.

You act as though we are all limited in the same way and to the same degree.

Well we are all human and our brains do all function in roughly the same way which does makes us all vulnerable to the same sort of things. I think that given what we know of neurology, human behavior, and our evolutionary history that this is a safe assumption to make. It's certainly well evidenced.

I, like you, am a person, and I, like you, have my experiences and the oppotunity to experience them for myself, just like you.

And, just like me, your experiences are not evidence of anything other than the fact that your brain thinks that you experienced them.

Why do you feel it necessary to rubbish this?

Why do theists so often feel it's necessary to force their BS down our throats?

Variety is the spice of life SP, be happy with your life, and don't worry about others.

1. That's impossible as long as there are religionists out there who wish to legislate their religious morality on the rest of us.

2. Even disregarding the above it's impossible because we all live interconnected lives, this is a fact of our biology that won't change at least for another couple million years. We are social creatures, that's not going to change.

We are, each and everyone of us different, that must mean something.

And yet despite our differences we are, each and every one of us, the same. We are all human, subject to the same human failings and frailties(one of which is an overactive agency detection program). This is something that can't be denied honestly as it's self evident.

I am me, and my experiences are unique to me. Try and understand.

Oh we understand perfectly, that's why we reject personal testimony being presented as evidence. The problem has been getting you to understand that.

LIGHTBEING,

The decision to believe in God is no more or less scientific than the decision not to believe in God. My point is that science cannot determine whether or not God exists, by itself.

I guess you can make an argument for that but my position is that there is no valid reason to make that leap to any of the prevailing Gods that allegedly exist today.

That boils down to a matter of opinion.

Not exactly, your asserting one of the many complex gods to explain some of the most complex questions. To answer a question with something that demands more answers is not meaningful, is it?

It doesn't have an opinion because science and the scientific community isn't out trying to prove the existence of the numerous GODs known to date nor should they be. I'm not sure what the basis is, but you can certainly make a scientific case against the need for a God depending on how you define God.

An answer to what?

Life's biggest questions.............

The ''knowledge'' of the creator of the universe like any other type of knowledge within the context of the subject matter. The context of God is essentially personal. There is no other way.

Doesn't the knowledge of the creator of the universe have to be absolute unless otherwise it would be inaccurate? Or does it not necessarily matter that it's accurate?

As I said, there are many ways.

Many ways to love many different gods (and godesses)

1) I don't feel satisfaction, it just is, at least from some perspectives.

So you are not satified with your answer(s)?

2) I don't think science can explain everything, plus we are living in the here and now, not in some future.

Modern science is doing a pretty good job thus far.

LIGHTBEING? ;) lol, jk - of course humans make mistakes but we acknowledge them and work towards understanding why we made the mistake and find a solution via critical thinking.

Jan: "You disregard all the evidence with sweeping statements, like ''mass hysteria'', believing all testimony to be delusional, or based in illusion.
You know science only deals with the material world, yet you claim there is no scientific evidence for the non-material."

No, you are incorrect. I do not disregard testimonial evidence as delusion, all I'm saying is that testimony has to be supported by evidence before it's believable. If there is no evidence other than testimony, I can reason that perhaps the testimony is incorrect knowing that the human mind can be subject to delusions.

It is also not true that science only deals with the material world. It deals with reality and things that can be observed, including personal testimony of God. I agree there is personal testimony of God, and I'm using science to evaluate them.

Jan: "I believe God explains himself through scripture, and certain individuals throughout the history of the world. What is the basis of your disbelief in this? An explanation that doesn't include ''no scientific evidence'' would really liven things up right now."

I will answer your question with another question, why do you disbelieve in the scriptures of other religions?

Jan: "Why can't you respect my essence, my experience and my understanding of it? It's ironic, but you act the same as institute of christianity which for centuries forced the world to accept it's doctrine and disregard all others as nonsense."

I respect you as a person Jan, but not your ideas. This is a free market of ideas, and I think mine will prevail in the end. There is no forcing going on, except from theists who are trying to force Creationism in schools, erode the separation of church and state, limit reproductive rights, subvert the science of global warming, eliminate the promise of stem cells in medicine, start religious wars... and on and on.

Jan: "I, like you, am a person, and I, like you, have my experiences and the opportunity to experience them for myself, just like you.
Why do you feel it necessary to rubbish this? Variety is the spice of life SP, be happy with your life, and don't worry about others. We are, each and everyone of us different, that must mean something."

I subject your beliefs to the same criticism as my own. I could be full of crap too, that's why it's important to defend our ideas with evidence, otherwise it's perfectly reasonable to dismiss them without evidence.

Arioch,

3 responses?
I'll deal with the most emotional first.

As I've already shown, yes, it can.

You haven,t, and further more you can't.
If I've missed something please state it directly, as your condescending tones
don't have any effect on me.

I'm reminded of a quote from Charles Darwin.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."

For me, there is no problem, science cannot approach spirituality.
It can however improve our understanding of the material world, which can be of helpto some of us (namely westerners) in our search for truth.

While it may be true that there are important questions which science can't answer(I stipulate "important" for a reason), we will never know until we try now will we?

I suppose if I keep taking my car to the florist for it's M.O.T., my persistence will result in a bona-fide certificate, because I really tried.
Won't it? :rolleyes:

The point of critical thinking isn't to not ever make mistakes, it's to reduce the likelihood of making mistakes while being able to learn from the mistakes we do make. It's a way to interrogate the world and learn something from it. It also helps guard us from things like confirmation bias(which theists seem to have turned into an art) which all humans are prone to, hence why we have the peer review process in science.

Have a good read on what I said on critical thinking, then get back to me
with something relevant.

Citation needed on this one. Especially since it's an unnecessary assumption. To paraphrase Laplace, our models work perfectly well without that assumption. Ockham's Razor is what defeated you here, nothing else.

You mean there is something simpler than ''God did it''? :eek:

Testimony alone can not validate existence claims, that's not the way it works. Some form of observation, even indirect observation, is needed to validate such claims.

That's the way it works in science, I get it. But that's not how life works.

If I were to tell you that I have a fire breathing dragon in my garage you would rightly ask me to prove it(to show you in other words).

The reality is, I wouldn't believe you even if you were telling the truth.
If I was an atheist, I wouldn't believe God existed, even it was true.

So let's say that you come to my garage and look in and see no dragon. "Oh, the dragon is invisible.

I wouldn't believe you, even if it were true.
I get it, you're an atheist, God does not exist because you have not seen him
in the manner that you see ''things''. That's where you're at.

And don't try to say that this is an unfair analogy, it's the perfect analogy for the god claims made by theists. Every single possible test we conceive is swiftly countered with some special exemption(god is nonphysical[which raises the question of how it would interact with the universe], god is outside the universe[which raises the same question], etc.) and yet we're expected to accept on hearsay an element of the universe which would completely revolutionize our view of it and our place in it

Well, that's how it is, and you don't believe. I can understand. It is a hard concept to understand from a purely material perspective.
But it doesn't mean we are wrong, or that God does not exist.
That's the best you're gonna get mate.

Science deals with reality, regardless of whether or not it's solely physical.

You say that, as if you know what the whole of reality is.
Can you cite any definition of science, or scientific paper which cites science knows what reality is?
I think you've been brainwashed if that's what you think.

If there were a phenomenon which only the supernatural could explain(and this is not entirely impossible) then science would be forced to include the supernatural.

Dude!
The ''supernatural'' refers to our perception of natural phenomena or activity, which we have yet to understand.
I never really mentioned ''supernatural'', I should tell you.
I'm interested in God, who is coined as ''supernatural, and I sort of go along with it.

If you're whinging because science looks for naturalistic explanations first, well duh. Naturalistic explanations don't require extra assumptions so parsimony requires that we look for them first, and so far we haven't been disappointed. To quote Tim Minchin, "Every mystery ever solve has turned out to be, not magic."

That's a good thing. It's what science is for.
God, isn't ''supernatural''. :)

Oh I'm so glad you went this route. The internal inconsistencies in every single holy text are more than enough to dismiss them as reflecting reality, what with god commanding one thing and in the next breath commanding the opposite.

Examples?

Beyond that there's the fact that every holy text deals solely with matters local to where it was written, not even a hint of the outside world. The bible only deals with the Mediterranean, Chinese texts deal only with China, Japanese texts deal only with Japan, and so on.

You misunderstand the essense, and point of the scriptures. IMO.

There's also the incredibly poor quality of information contained within such texts. The bible, for example, dictates that bats are birds and insects have four legs, now I'd think that an omniscient deity would know better than that, we certainly do. Even more damning, for the bible at least, is the abominable math contained within, such as pi being 3.1 which is a horrendous approximation considering that the Egyptians not only beat the bible to the punch, but calculated pi out to six decimal places. Again, a book inspired by a deity should be able to do much better than that.

The bible, IMO, has been poorly translted from hebrew, to greek, to english.
I tend to use other scriptures which have not been treated in that way.

You say that god is explained in scripture, if that's true then that mean that god is homicidal, genocidal, racist, misogynistic, jealous and proud of it, authoritarian and fascistic, and downright evil. Sorry, not exactly a being I'd worship even if it did exist.

The bible, as we know it, doesn't really describe God fully. For example it states that God is pure spirit, but it doesn't explain the nature of spirit. Which is why you equate him with humans.

That's not the way it works and you should know that by now. We explain phenomena by looking at their causes, postulating, and testing. We can explain the existence of everything from life to the universe without positing a god, this makes any such assertions superfluous and thus unnecessary.

Yes, and a good mechanic can explain everything about a car without the need to posit a creator, or as i like to put it: without stating the obvious.

Positing a god doesn't explain anything(it's just saying "god did it" and is no different from saying "the Giant Space Duck did it") and the god you posits requires an explanation as well, therefore multiplying your questions. That is not good science.

When I take my Nissan car to be fixed, just saying Nissan made it doesn't explain anything either. You might as well say Mick Murphy made it for all that kind of explanation is worth.
I get your point.

Beyond that though, this is very close to a god of the gaps argument, an argument which while not as weak as an argument from authority is very close.

It seems that way to you, but not to me.
And I see no reason to believe that you are a better person than me, or that
your experiences are are superior to mine.
D'ya get mi?

Because beliefs don't automatically deserve respect. For that matter, neither do people. Respect is earned and while your beliefs may not have led you to harm anyone, they are still unintelligible and thus deserving of ridicule. Show me that your beliefs deserve my respect and then I'll respect them.

I didn't ask SP to respect my beliefs, I asked him to respect my individual experience which lead me to the person/human being that I am.
Not respecting that, is what leads to unnecessary confrontations, paving the way for conflict.
Do you understand that?
Or do you disrespect my being a person on the basis that my personal experiences leads me to believe as I do?
There is a vast difference.

Really. Really? Last time I checked, Spidergoat wasn't forcing you to do anything.

He may not have reached that stage, but his whole attitude smacks of that territory.

Criticizing and ridiculing your beliefs is not the same as forcing you to do anything, there's a vast difference between the two things.

Well firstly, neither SP or you can ridicule my belief.
But the fact thay you feel you have a right to do so means you are trying to force me out of my belief.

The funny thing is, I think I know why you try and do that. You do that because: a) the mindset that is in contol of the world (monetry, media, education, food, etc..) do not want a population dependant on God for anything. It's just not good business.
Your mindset, as silly as it is, does have an effect on the population.

b) now you're all dressed up (with powerful backing) but have between nothing and very little to argue with. When you're points get shown for what they are, and you actually realise you have no material, you go for the lowest common denominator.
Of course you are helped with some religious groups and movements, which you then try to tar everyone with that brush.

It all came to me one day when I was shopping in Tesco, and saw a display of Dickie Dawkins comic masterpiece 'The God Delusion' displayed right next the fruit and veg section.

jan.

LIGHTBEING,

I guess you can make an argument for that but my position is that there is no valid reason to make that leap to any of the prevailing Gods that allegedly exist today.

I can respect that, but I don't understand God in the way that you do, so I can't see God the way that you do. You are looking at God from a material point view and, because you cannot find God, you conclude God doesn't exist.
The reason you think like this is because you believe that everything is matter. You then invoke science, a discipline that deals with matter and posit that science has found no evidence of God, therefore God ''cannot'' exist.
So ultimately you BELIEVE God does not exist, not that there is no evidence that God does not exist, because you know that God is nowhere defined as a material being.

Not exactly, your asserting one of the many complex gods to explain some of the most complex questions. To answer a question with something that demands more answers is not meaningful, is it?

''Complexity'' in this case is a relative statement, again, because you are attempting to put a round peg into a square hole. Meaning you are looking for something in the wrong place.
Writing a symphony to you and I may well be a very complex task, but to a 5 year old Mozart, it had to be very simple.

me said:

It doesn't have an opinion because science and the scientific community isn't out trying to prove the existence of the numerous GODs known to date nor should they be. I'm not sure what the basis is, but you can certainly make a scientific case against the need for a God depending on how you define God.

Of course you can, but that's not pursuit of truth.
God is already defined, and the main scriptures of the world define him the same way, so why do talk about different Gods, and different definitions?
Why not look for the similarity, and move on from there?
From an intellectual perspective, the best known origin of God and religion are the scriptures, so why are you prepared to accept every tom, dick , and harry's version, knowing it's origin. It's hardly scientific.

Doesn't the knowledge of the creator of the universe have to be absolute unless otherwise it would be inaccurate? Or does it not necessarily matter that it's accurate?

Understanding the creator is not just an intellectual pursuit, it is an interactive one. It's more about being situated in the right position, mind, body, and soul, so to speak. That is the point of scripture, and that is the point of religion. If it were purely about intellect then it would be unfair.

Many ways to love many different gods (and godesses)

Loving gods and goddesses can increase our desire of matarial oppulence, which does nothing to increase spiritual awareness and love of God.

So you are not satified with your answer(s)?

That's not what I said, or meant.
I don't feel satisfaction that the natural world isn't everything, which is
my assumption.

Modern science is doing a pretty good job thus far.

In it's capacity.

LIGHTBEING? ;) lol, jk - of course humans make mistakes but we acknowledge them and work towards understanding why we made the mistake and find a solution via critical thinking.[/QUOTE]

What you're talking about really, is learning from experience, which was my point.

jan.

spidergoat,

If there is no evidence other than testimony, I can reason that perhaps the testimony is incorrect knowing that the human mind can be subject to delusions.

I understand this, but it does not prove, or show that God does not, or can not exist. That has to be believed.

It is also not true that science only deals with the material world. It deals with reality and things that can be observed, including personal testimony of God. I agree there is personal testimony of God, and I'm using science to evaluate them. [/I]

No, it deals with the material world, which you regard as the only reality, therefore you say ''science deals with reality''. You conveniently left out your spin.

I will answer your question with another question, why do you disbelieve in the scriptures of other religions?

I don't. And I'm surprised you don't know that.

I subject your beliefs to the same criticism as my own. I could be full of crap [too], that's why it's important to defend our ideas with evidence, otherwise it's perfectly reasonable to dismiss them without evidence.

Then you should dimiss your ideas, but I don't think you will.

[seen ya] :)

jan.

The simple truth of the matter is that this conflict will never go away as long as you have theists preaching eternal damnation. There are many other factors of course, but this one, all by itself, ensures that there shall never be peace.

So in order to realize your vision of some sort of unity and mutual respect between theists and atheists, you'd have to ask the theists to make a sacrifice that would be impossible for them to make without violating one of the core tenets of their belief system, which is that not everyone is going to be 'saved'. And I can guarantee you that right now, most theists who read this will be thinking "well, it's actually true, atheists are destined for eternal damnation".

Is this a problem that can be solved kowalskil?

To put it another way, what hope do you think there would be for real peace between two nations if, in spite of a mutual effort toward workable diplomatic relations, it was known that one of those nations considered the other to be so fundamentally flawed that they deserved to be destroyed?

Yes, both sides of the conflict must revise, or reinterpret existing claims. The process will take time, a lot of time. But reducing the intensity of poisonous conflicts is possible. That is what I think.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia). A am also the author of a FREE ONLINE book entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

Yes, both sides of the conflict must revise, or reinterpret existing claims. The process will take time, a lot of time. But reducing the intensity of poisonous conflicts is possible. That is what I think.

Regarding theism and atheism, can you point out the ''actual'' conflict (not mere disagreements), because in order to stamp out conflict we must identify it.

Regarding science and religion the conflict seems to be between an aspect of the christian religion, and an aspect of the scientific community, both who semed to have eclipsed the disciplines of their respective genres becoming the voice of focal point. The mentality of both groups seem identical to me, differing only by side they choose to bat with.

jan.

@Jan Ardena --

If I've missed something please state it directly, as your condescending tones don't have any effect on me.

I'll put this simply if I can. When we look to confirm the existence of a phenomenon we look for evidence that it is there, in some cases this means that we must model the effects of the hypothesized phenomenon and look for said effects as the phenomenon itself isn't detectable by our instruments(vacuum fluctuations are an excellent example of this). If the model contains effects that are not there(such as the aether model of the universe) then we know, for a fact, that the proposed phenomenon is either nonexistent or our model is flawed(at which time we correct our model). In the case of the aether model we discovered that it was hopelessly flawed and unfixable, so we threw it out, the aether doesn't exist. This is an example of absence of evidence in fact being evidence of absence, as I said earlier, the evidence that should have been there isn't and thus we know that the phenomenon doesn't exist.

In the case of the god hypothesis we have a plethora of models to choose from, and some can be ruled out right off the bat due to logical impossibilities(such as an omnipotent god) and internal inconsistencies(such as an omniscient god who gives us free will). Other models, such as the deistic god who merely created the universe and then just left(or died), can be discarded due to irrelevance. Now we can compare the effects of the models we have left to the world we observe to see if they match up. If they do then we have evidence that a god exists, if they don't then we either have to revamp our models or conclude that none of the gods we made models for exist. And after some ten thousand years of model revision and testing we have yet to find a single god model that fits with the reality we observe. By this method we can observationally rule out certain gods(though not the possibility of a god we don't have a model for).

As for the condescension in my tone, it's well deserved. This is a basic scientific principle here, one that even school children in most countries are aware of. That you are either not aware of it or are deliberately ignoring it to save your belief from skeptical inquiry is shameful.

For me, there is no problem, science cannot approach spirituality.

Thank you for proving Darwin right on this one. You believe that science can't tell us anything about spirituality yet you have no rational basis for such a belief. This just brings me back to a point I made in my first post, that ridicule is the only weapon we have against unintelligible propositions(thank you Jefferson).

How can you know that science must be mute on this subject when it's mute on no other? How can you posit such a thing without even attempting it? All you've done is attempt to wall off one of your cherished beliefs from the light of skeptical inquiry. This is the epitome of being closed minded. I don't have a single belief, cherished or otherwise, that I am not willing to submit to critical thought and skeptical inquiry and then willing to discard should it be shown to be in error. That is what being open minded really is.

We are also rapidly discovering that "spiritual" or "mystical" experiences, those things which theists and spiritualists bang on about like it's the greatest thing in the world, are merely the result of certain brain states and can easily be achieved without any reliance on spiritual or religious mumbo jumbo. We're learning this both through drug trials(many drugs bring about the exact same sensation as religious and spiritual experiences) and through neurological studies of people undergoing such experiences. I, personally, can achieve that sense of "oneness" that Buddhists are always going on about merely by examining my thought processes in explicit detail. Doing this brings about the realization that the "I" in our thought processes("I think this" and "I feel that") doesn't really exist, it's something of a cognitive illusion created by our model making brain. We're actually learning a whole hell of a lot about spirituality from science, something you'd know if you hadn't closed your mind to that possibility.

It can however improve our understanding of the material world, which can be of helpto some of us (namely westerners) in our search for truth.

Oh wow, the old "truth is relative" and the old "there are different kinds of truth" canards rolled into one, you're good.

I suppose if I keep taking my car to the florist for it's M.O.T., my persistence will result in a bona-fide certificate, because I really tried.
Won't it?

And a straw man argument, way to go. You're quickly surpassing even my most ridiculous opponents in the logical fallacy department. Next time you decide to attack one of my positions, try getting my position right before doing so.

Secondly, you imply here that there is some sort of "authority" on spiritual matters we can turn to in the same way that we turn to physicists in matters of physics. Of course you're dead wrong here as there's no comparison between scientific authorities and religious or spiritual "authorities". Scientific authorities don't just tell us, ipso facto, what is and isn't the way religious and spiritual authorities do, instead they present their evidence and their methods which they use to support their conclusions. Not only that, but every single person has the ability(if not necessarily the means) to test and verify scientific conclusions, the same can not be said or religious or spiritual "truths". Scientific conclusions are objective, the same no matter where or when they are or who's reading them, spiritual conclusions are subjective in that they change literally from person to person.

You mean there is something simpler than ''God did it''?

Quantum theory is simpler than "god did it". For starters, saying "god did it" doesn't actually tell you a damn thing about the phenomenon in question, you learn nothing about the mechanisms by which it functions nor about what sort of effects it has. Furthermore, by positing that "god did it" you must then explain god, where and how god came to be as well as how god achieved such a spectacular phenomenon. Of course, all of this is taking for granted that god exists, something which is undemonstrated in any way, so you must also demonstrate god before your explanation becomes parsimonious. You are multiplying your questions and answering none, it doesn't get any more complicated than that.

That's the way it works in science, I get it. But that's not how life works.

Actually that is the way it works in life. In a court of law(at least in civilized countries) testimony alone is not enough to convict anyone of a crime, you must have actual evidence that the defendant committed the crime. When you accuse someone of doing something, even outside of a court of law, they are going to rightly demand that you prove it, your testimony is not enough. In all matters we place a premium on evidence, all matters except for religion and spirituality that is. Those are the only two areas where we willingly grant credence to testimony over evidence to the contrary, and doing so is damn foolish.

The reality is, I wouldn't believe you even if you were telling the truth.

Thank you for proving, once again, just how closed minded you are.

Another straw man argument? Really?

I'm an atheist. I admit the possibility of some form of creator existing, though I put the odds of that being the case at being remarkably small. I am open to evidence that any of the religions are right(though they can't all be right), all I ask for is evidence that will stand up to skeptical scrutiny. So far I've gotten none, zip, zilch, nada, zero.

This is the stance of the overwhelming majority of atheists. Most of us are a six on the Dawkins scale, whereas you are a one.

I get it, you're an atheist, God does not exist because you have not seen him in the manner that you see ''things''. That's where you're at.

Swing and a miss. Perhaps you should take a moment to get to know my past before you make assumptions about me. Like most atheists in the United States, I used to be a christian, a fundamentalist christian at that. I was fully committed to seeking a life with God, I even went to seminary school to become a member of my churches clergy. I used to believe in god, I don't anymore because the more I submitted my thoughts and beliefs to critical thought, the less I was able to support them. The more I brought down the mental partition I had between my logic and my religion, the more I realized that my beliefs couldn't cut the mustard and I had no choice, if I wanted to maintain my new intellectual honesty, but to discard them.

You see, I have you at a disadvantage here....besides the fact that your arguments are logically fallacious and completely unsupported by evidence that is. The advantage that I have is that I understand your position, I understand it fully and completely because I was in your position. The disadvantage you have is that you've never even tried to understand my position, this is evident from your constant straw man arguments(which I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming are unintentional). I understand the appeal of theism and the rationality used to support it, you have a complete lack of understanding about what atheism even is. How can you hope to compete in a debate when your opponent completely understands your arguments and positions and you understand nothing about your opponent?

Well, that's how it is, and you don't believe. I can understand.

"Well that's how it is." Are you really going to just try to assert that without presenting any supporting evidence? How are you any better than those who slaughter women for trying to learn how to read and justify it by saying that "it's god's law, that's how it is"? Really. You're employing the exact same arguments here as they do.

Well you demonstrably don't understand because you can't seem to make heads nor tails of my arguments which is obvious because you can't refute a single one of them.

It is a hard concept to understand from a purely material perspective.

But I do understand, as evidenced by the way that I've been able to deconstruct your arguments and refute them. If I didn't understand then I would be constantly committing logical fallacies and making irrelevant statements, I'm not. I think it's you who fails to grasp the situation. The situation is this, I was a theist, I understand the theistic mentality as well as all of their arguments, you've never been an atheist and thus you understand nothing about the mentality and hence you fail to understand the arguments.

You say that, as if you know what the whole of reality is.

Nope, I say that as if I understand the way science works, and I do. Science depends on observation followed repeatable experiments, if the effect is not repeatable then the observation is in error. If repeatable experiments demonstrate a "supernatural"(perhaps "paranormal" would be a better word) effect, say that intercessory prayer actually works, then accepting the supernatural would be the only path available.

You see, I(and science) don't need to understand what the whole of reality is, just like I don't need to have all of the answers to know that your answer is wrong. This whole "understand the whole of reality" is irrelevant, it's a red herring, yet another logical fallacy.

You don't need to be well educated or an expert to spot logical and methodological flaws in an argument or assertion, you just need to be open minded and skeptical. Now, I have the added benefit of a scientific education which means that I have a fairly thorough understanding of scientific methods and procedures and that I understand the current limits of scientific inquiry. You lack such knowledge and as such you conjure limitations on scientific inquiry that are simply nonexistent.

Can you cite any definition of science, or scientific paper which cites science knows what reality is?

Nice red herring, again. Every single human being shares a working definition of reality which is fundamentally the same(this is due to our shared ancestry and the fact that our brains function in the same way). This definition, which we all accept(though some add on more, often unnecessarily so), is that reality is that which we observe around us. This is the most simplistic definition of reality available and it is universal in humans and, we can guess, to most mammals in general. Science only takes it a step further in trying to confirm observation through repetition. This helps remove the element of human error as our brains are notoriously prone to hallucination and outright fabrication of events.

Not that this has any relevance though, I already explained that science works through observation, and if the paranormal exists then it must be observable. If it's not repeatable then delusion or hallucination offer better explanations. Again, Ockham's Razor shreds your contention to ribbons here.

I think you've been brainwashed if that's what you think.

Nice! Demonize and belittle the man who's eviscerating your arguments so that you have an excuse to dismiss anything he says without even considering it. If this weren't a tactic that theists employ religiously(pun fully intended) then I'd almost be surprised by it.

Besides that, you had absolutely no way to know what I think, and it's obvious that you have no scientific education as you'd know better than this if you did. My suggestion, the next time you feel like making an assumption about what I think or what my past is(both of which you got woefully wrong), pick up a book and read instead. I would recommend Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World, you might learn a thing or two about science and scientific thinking. Of course, Cosmos is always a good choice too.

The ''supernatural'' refers to our perception of natural phenomena or activity, which we have yet to understand.

Then, as I already mentioned, perhaps "paranormal" would be a better word for said phenomena.

I'm interested in God, who is coined as ''supernatural, and I sort of go along with it.

God is "coined", as you so put it, as supernatural because the actions and traits attributed to him would violate all of the known laws of physics. Now, it is possible that the laws are hopelessly flawed and we should just throw them out, however given how useful they've been in predicting natural phenomenon and building technology I highly doubt this. After all, how likely is the Second Law of Thermodynamics to be wrong?

That's a good thing. It's what science is for. God, isn't ''supernatural''.

So god, according to you, is both a nonphysical being who can intervene in the universe and yet isn't supernatural? Headdesk! The Fail! It burns so bad!!!

Examples?

Gladly.

In Genesis 6:6, Exodus 32:14, Numbers 14:20, 1 Samuel 15:35, 2 Samuel 24:16 god is depicted as changing his mind about things(which, by the way, is irreconcilably inconsistent with the concept of omniscience). In Numbers 23:19-20, 1 Samuel 15:29, James 1:17 god is said to not change his mind.

In Genesis 11:9 god confused the languages of the world(the whole Tower of Babel thing) and yet in 1 Corinthians Paul states unconditionally that god does not cause confusion.

In the books of Genesis(12:7, 17:1, 18:1, 26:2, 32:30), Exodus(3:16, 6:2-3, 24:9-11, 33:11) Numbers(12:7-8, 14:14), Job(42:5), and Amos(7:7-8, 9:1) we are told that god can be, and has been, seen and heard by people. However in Exodus 33:20 we are told that no man can see god and live(despite the fact that people had apparently done so before and would do so after) and in John 1:18 and 1 John 4:12 we are told that no one has ever seen god and that god can not be seen.

Genesis 10:5, 20, and 31 tell us that there were many languages before the Tower of Babel, yet in Genesis 11:1 we are told that there was only one language before the Tower of Babel(which is it already!?).

Genesis 17:1 and 35:11, 1 Chronicles 29:11-12, and Luke 1:37 tell us that god is all powerful(leaving aside, for the moment, that this is impossible) and that anything is possible with(or for) god. But in Judges 1:19 god couldn't drive out the plainsman because they had chariots of iron(apparently god is a fey).

This is just the tip of the iceberg, I could go on all day long but I have other things to do so if you want more examples, GFE. The bible is hopelessly inconsistent with itself, with god at times commanding sacrificial offerings and then denying that he ordered it earlier, and other holy texts are just as bad if not worse. This is proof that no divine hand penned these texts and powerful evidence that there's nothing divine about them.

You misunderstand the essense, and point of the scriptures. IMO.

Why? Because I don't see a hopelessly inconsistent, mindbogglingly irrational, and stupefyingly ignorant text as a source of knowledge? Or is it because I think that we've learned far more than they could have even dreamed of knowing in the last fifty years along(thanks to science once again) and that their ignorant ideas are humorously quaint?

But I'm curious, what, in your oh so humble opinion is the "essence and point of the scriptures"?

The bible, as we know it, doesn't really describe God fully.

The bible, as we know it, describes god's personality explicitly, and even the worst and most immoral humans of all time compare favorably to how god is depicted. I would rather see Hitler as god than the god of the bible.

For example it states that God is pure spirit, but it doesn't explain the nature of spirit. Which is why you equate him with humans.

Actually, I equate him with humans because that's what the authors did, and that's what every single christian organization that has ever existed has ever done. I think that I'm on solid theological ground here, which is why it's so funny.

Yes, and a good mechanic can explain everything about a car without the need to posit a creator, or as i like to put it: without stating the obvious.

Positing a creator for a car is only obvious because it's necessary, no such necessity exists in explaining the origin of the universe. With the fact that our universe has a total energy of zero(if you took all of the energy in the universe and mashed it all together, you would get nothing) combined with what we know about quantum foam and vacuum fluctuations we know that an entire universe, an uncaused universe, can come into existence from nothing. No creator necessary. And that's merely one of the plausible origins of our universe, there are others and the book isn't closed yet, but every single one of them works without the need to include a creator. As I said, it's unnecessary and thus irrelevant.

Nice try though, but I've been doing this for a long time and you don't have any arguments that are new to me, at least you've not displayed any yet.

And I see no reason to believe that you are a better person than me, or that your experiences are are superior to mine.

I never said anything about being a better person, though my knowledge of the subject is demonstrably better. Nor did I say that my experiences are superior to yours, though I have had religious experience while I was religious and after I wasn't, so in that respect I have more experience on the subject than you.

However this is all irrelevant, yet another red herring. Experience and opinion mean squat when it comes to existence claims, all that matters is repeatable experimentation to confirm observation. Without such evidence no such existence claims have any sort of validity. In other words, unless you put up the evidence(and you haven't don so in this entire thread) you should get used to people telling you to shut up.

I didn't ask SP to respect my beliefs, I asked him to respect my individual experience which lead me to the person/human being that I am.

Again, I didn't seem him disrespecting your "experiences"(if that's even possible), SP and I merely doubt your interpretation of them and your opinions as to their cause. That's not disrespect.

Not respecting that, is what leads to unnecessary confrontations, paving the way for conflict.

Really? And here I thought that it was the explicit call of most holy texts to kill unbelievers and heathens(with unbelievers receiving the worst of the hatred) combined with the metaphysics of martyrdom endorsed by most holy texts. Damn, how could I have been so wrong? You've really shown me the light here.

I guess the best thing would be for us atheists to go back to the way things used to be, with our hands wrapped around our ankles waiting silently for theists to ram their beliefs up our....

Do you understand that?

Nope. I don't "understand it" as you say. In fact I attribute the cause of the conflict between science and religion as coming from the fact that religion just won't shut up about "how the world is" and merely asserts that it's right without ever providing one piece of evidence to support it's assertions. If religion would stay away from the realm of science there wouldn't be such a conflict, instead we have religious people and institution attempting to force creationism/ID crap into our schools to indoctrinate children. Instead we have religious organizations telling us that homosexuality is unnatural, despite the five thousand plus species that engage in homosexual behavior. Instead we have religious organizations condemning condom usage in Africa and thus condemning millions of people each year to death, they as good as slit their throats.

Do you really think that these conflicts are cause by a "lack of respect"?

Keep in mind that you(theists) have held the international stage, and the reigns of power, for over five thousand years now, perhaps it's time you step back and give someone else a try before you blow up the whole planet(a very real possibility).

Or do you disrespect my being a person on the basis that my personal experiences leads me to believe as I do?

I don't respect or disrespect you, you've done nothing to earn either(though your dogged insistence on using logical fallacies is working to earn you my disrespect). It is quite possible to disrespect a person's beliefs without disrespecting the person, you really should be aware of this.

He may not have reached that stage, but his whole attitude smacks of that territory.

Bullshit. All he's done is disagree with you and explain why. That is not even close to the territory you seek. If you want to see people embracing that territory you're going to have to look at the religious idiots trying to ban Huckleberry Finn from schools, or those attempting to force school prayer.

I still love getting this reaction from you though, because it's so out of proportion. Any criticism of your beliefs and you cry persecution, but it's perfectly alright for you to imply that all atheists are either dumb or ignorant or hateful or any combination thereof, which is exactly what you've been implying this entire thread.

Bottom line, criticism can never be the same thing as forcing you to do or think anything. It might cause you to reconsider some things, but no force of any kind was used. On the other hand, religion regularly attempts to force people to think and believe certain things, either through threats of damnation or through legislating their morality on the rest of us(see DOMA and Conscience Clauses). So perhaps you're projecting your discomfort with these tactics onto an "enemy" so that you can deal with these aspects of yourself better.

Well firstly, neither SP or you can ridicule my belief.

Only because I haven't bothered to get the specifics. The specifics aren't necessary for me to shred your beliefs like beef because they rest on the premises that god exists, that god interacts with the universe, that god cares about humans, and that you have had experiences which were sent or inspired by god(not to sure about this last one, guessing). If any one of these premises is shown to be faulty or outright wrong then your entire belief system collapses which explains your reluctance to submit your beliefs to skeptical inquiry.

I, on the other hand, have two fundamental premises underlying my beliefs, and you can't attack them because you've already accepted them as valid. The first is that the universe exists, and I already know you're not going to be arguing against that as it would also undermine your beliefs. The second is that we can learn something about it, again you're not going to attack this one because you share it(otherwise how would you have "learned" about god?).

But the fact thay you feel you have a right to do so means you are trying to force me out of my belief.

Nope, that would require us to use force. I don't know about SP, but I have literally no intentions of doing so unless your beliefs pose a threat to others. As of now they don't. Again, merely arguing against you and criticizing your beliefs is not forcing you to change them. All we're doing is presenting you with another piece of the puzzle, it's up to you whether or not to accept it.

Now, if we were threatening you...say, with eternal damnation...then we would be attempting to coerce you, which is a form of force. There are no threats and no possible use of physical force, therefore we are not attempting to force you into anything by merely ridiculing your position. You might feel like we're forcing you, but we're actually not. As I've said before, how you or I or anyone else feels about something doesn't necessarily make it true.

The funny thing is, I think I know why you try and do that.

Oh please, do tell.

You do that because: a) the mindset that is in contol of the world (monetry, media, education, food, etc..) do not want a population dependant on God for anything. It's just not good business. Your mindset, as silly as it is, does have an effect on the population.

Actually, this is pure tripe on a bike. If you look at all of the laws in this world, just how many are anti-theistic? A very small percentage(pretty much confined to China). Now, how many are pro-theistic? The overwhelming majority of them are, and that's not counting the theocracies still in existence(in the US alone we have DOMA, conscience clauses, federal "faith based" initiative, funding for religious sex ed in public schools, the list goes on). Now, how many of those laws are openly anti-atheistic? A fairly large percentage of them(even here in the US it's still legal to discriminate against atheists and there are seven states in which it is illegal to hold public office unless you believe in a supreme being).

Sorry, but the evidence sides against you on this account. But then, you should be used to that by now.

b) now you're all dressed up (with powerful backing) but have between nothing and very little to argue with. When you're points get shown for what they are, and you actually realise you have no material, you go for the lowest common denominator. Of course you are helped with some religious groups and movements, which you then try to tar everyone with that brush.

First of all, what "powerful backing" are you talking about? Is it the scientific evidence we have supporting a naturalistic origin of the universe and a naturalistic origin of life? That's not "powerful backing", that's facts baby.

Second, you have yet to actually rebut any argument brought against you in this thread(that I've seen) and you sure as hell haven't even scratched mine. Furthermore, on this train of thought, you haven't presented even one argument which wasn't a logical fallacy. It's obvious from this thread that you are the one without a leg to stand on. Your holy books are all forgeries and plagiarized, your god is AWOL, and your arguments fly in the face of even the barest grasp of logic. How, exactly is it the atheists who don't have any arguments.

Third, I haven't gone for the lowest common denominator here, you have. I may, indeed have, been cutting and snarky in my posts, however that's more of a personal flair(I write frequently you see) than anything else. You, on the other hand, have continuously misconstrued my arguments(deliberately or not I don't know), consistently put forth superfluous and irrelevant arguments, accused me of attempting to coerce you, and generally demonized me in an attempt to discredit me in your eyes. All of these are the tactics of those who know they can't win an argument through the use of logic and reason.

Fourth, I haven't painted any group with any brush. Yes, I have highlighted some of the evils that religion has committed, but my main argument has always been the fact that theism is a hopeless mess of inconsistencies, logical fallacies, and outright ignorance of the evidence. That wasn't always the case, in the far reaches of history religion represented mankind's best attempt to understand the world, but like all preliminary models, it was flawed.

Do you want to know the real reason I seek to ridicule your beliefs? I already stated it, they're unintelligible. They make no rational sense and rely on numerous unjustified assumptions. Against such unintelligible positions ridicule is the only effective weapon humans have, reason doesn't work(as is obvious from this and other threads) and neither does discourse as you've already closed your mind to the possibility that you might be wrong(something which I've admitted multiple times in this thread). What other track are we supposed to take? Oh that's right, you would prefer it if all the atheists just shut up and took it.

It all came to me one day when I was shopping in Tesco, and saw a display of Dickie Dawkins comic masterpiece 'The God Delusion' displayed right next the fruit and veg section.

I actually thought that Dawkins' best work was Unweaving The Rainbow but I digress. It "all came to you" huh, did you even bother to check your idea against the evidence? Of course you didn't, you just ran with it because it fits well within your worldview.

Another straw man argument? Really?

I'm an atheist. I admit the possibility of some form of creator existing, though I put the odds of that being the case at being remarkably small. I am open to evidence that any of the religions are right(though they can't all be right), all I ask for is evidence that will stand up to skeptical scrutiny. So far I've gotten none, zip, zilch, nada, zero.

This is the stance of the overwhelming majority of atheists. Most of us are a six on the Dawkins scale, whereas you are a one.

Excellent point, among many others.

Spectrum of theistic probability - Dawkins's formulation

I'm certainly a 6 myself. It's interesting to see a theist come right out and essentially say that they'd embrace the same extreme form of dogmatism even if they happened to be an atheist.

This reminds me of the example of the geologist Kurt Wise (Dawkins is fond of quoting this) who once said "...if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate."

Kurt Wise is at most a 1; an argument could be made for an adjustment to the Dawkins scale to accomodate him. Translated to the other end of the spectrum, he'd be the kind of atheist that Jan is talking about, so a further argument could be made for an adjustment there as well.

Just for fun, then:

1. Unyeilding theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of Kurt Wise: "if all the evidence turns against creationism... I'd still be a creationist".
2. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
3. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
4. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
5. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
6. Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
7. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
8. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."
9. Unyielding atheist. "I'm an atheist in the same way that Kurt Wise is a theist".

Note: The above is not the Dawkins scale. I have extended it here for the purposes of discussion. For the original, see the Wikipedia article linked to above.

The justification for this exercise is to characterize the difference between someone who is certain about something, and someone who has made a commitment to remain certain even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It is, afterall, normally possible (note: possible) to be certain about something, and then change your mind later.

According to the extended scale above, I would be a 7 (and again, so would most atheists).

Most proper theists are 2 on that scale they are de facto theists imho, though most atheists may be very close to 7 on the original scale.

Last edited:
@Big Chiller --

Actually the overwhelming majority of atheists are a dead-on six while the overwhelming majority of theists are a full-blown one. Sevens and twos seem to be very rare.

Arioch,

Your post is just way too much hot air to wade through.
Instead I shall attempt highlight the important points in a series of conversations.

Before we begin.

What/who is God?
What is Religion?
What is Spirituality?

jan.

@Jan Ardena --

However long my post may be(I do tend to value accuracy over brevity for obvious reasons) I did answer every single one of your questions and rebutted your arguments. If you can't bring yourself to read a post because of it's length then you're not worth debating with.

God is not for me to define, that burden lies with the theist.

@Jan Ardena --

However long my post may be(I do tend to value accuracy over brevity for obvious reasons) I did answer every single one of your questions and rebutted your arguments. If you can't bring yourself to read a post because of it's length then you're not worth debating with.

God is not for me to define, that burden lies with the theist.

You haven't rebutted my arguments because you do not understand my position regarding God, religion, and spirituality, you only think you have.
So alot of your work was in vain.

You do need to define God, otherwise I actually don't know what you're talking about. That you regard ''God'' and it's meaning not worthy of your time to define, is not a concern of mine. But if you wish to engage me in a discussion about God, we need to know what we're talking about. As you have assumed that the god you claimed to believe in was/is the same god I currently believe in, you need to define him/it.

jan.

@Jan --

You haven't rebutted my arguments because you do not understand my position regarding God, religion, and spirituality, you only think you have.

I responded to general statements, we were never discussing the specifics of your belief, therefore your exact beliefs have been irrelevant to the discussion. The arguments you've made thus far have all been rebutted and your questions answered(with examples). If you wish to have a discussion about your specific beliefs then by all means let's do so, however you must first define what those beliefs are.

You do need to define God, otherwise I actually don't know what you're talking about.

I don't believe a damn thing about god so why should I be required to define something that is irrelevant to me? And I already defined which sort of gods can be rejected by science, several times. If the god you believe in isn't one of those then it is on you to say so, not on me to guess that.

That you regard ''God'' and it's meaning not worthy of your time to define, is not a concern of mine.

Whether or not I regard it as "not worthy of my time" is irrelevant, I can't define something which I have literally no belief in, I can only discuss the generalities and wait for people to specify their own beliefs about it. Until they do so I have literally nothing to go on.

But if you wish to engage me in a discussion about God, we need to know what we're talking about.

I agree. Thus far we've been discussing generalities and I've done a good job of highlighting exactly which general "gods" I've been talking about(from omnipotent gods to deistic gods to gods with mutually exclusive traits). I've never once gone into specifics about gods. I've been waiting on you to give your definition of god before I could get into specifics.

As you have assumed that the god you claimed to believe in was/is the same god I currently believe in, you need to define him/it.

1. I never claimed to believe in a god.

2. I never claimed that you believed in any of the gods I was talking about.

3. I never addressed any specifics about what you believe, in fact I'm on record as saying that I didn't really need to know the specifics because the generalities were enough for the discussion up until this point.

4. I can't define god because I don't believe in god, the burden of that is on those who do believe.

Arioch,

I responded to general statements, we were never discussing the specifics of your belief, therefore your exact beliefs have been irrelevant to the discussion.

You said:

...I understand your position, I understand it fully and completely because I was in your position....

....I was fully committed to seeking a life with God....

Your basing your argument on the notion that you know what i'm about.
But you don't. And now you're going to have to justify this delusion of grandeur, and as such we will not have good discussion.

I suggest we start again, and this time with you not being presumptious.

The arguments you've made thus far have all been rebutted and your questions answered(with examples). If you wish to have a discussion about your specific beliefs then by all means let's do so, however you must first define what those beliefs are.

You obviously misunderstood the arguments I made, thinking that you knew where I was coming from. You didn't bother to do any research, you just made standard assumptions.

I don't believe a damn thing about god so why should I be required to define something that is irrelevant to me?

How can you possibly believe God doesn't exist under any circumstances, and not have an idea of what it is that doesn't actually exist?
Apart from that, you believed in God, you KNOW where I'm coming from, so enlighten.

And I already defined which sort of gods can be rejected by science, several times. If the god you believe in isn't one of those then it is on you to say so, not on me to guess that.

And I want to know if you're talking about God.
I'm not interested in talking about gods.

Whether or not I regard it as "not worthy of my time" is irrelevant, I can't define something which I have literally no belief in, I can only discuss the generalities and wait for people to specify their own beliefs about it. Until they do so I have literally nothing to go on.

But you did believe in God, and as you boasted, you have an advantage over me in that you've been in my position. So if I ask you to define God for the purpose of the discussion, you should. Otherwise you're just talking nonsense.

I agree. Thus far we've been discussing generalities and I've done a good job of highlighting exactly which general "gods" I've been talking about(from omnipotent gods to deistic gods to gods with mutually exclusive traits).

Can you think of any reason why I should be content with these ''general gods'', to the point where I ignore the fact (according to you) than you once believed in God, as I do, wanting to spend your life with him.
I'm afraid you need to back that up. I want to who and what God is from your experience. Not from a bunch of people who have no clue.

I've never once gone into specifics about gods. I've been waiting on you to give your definition of god before I could get into specifics.

My definition is simple; God is the absolute truth, the supreme, trancendental being from who everything emanates.

1. I never claimed to believe in a god.

So although you were a ''christian'', you never believed in God?

2. I never claimed that you believed in any of the gods I was talking about.

So what's the meaning of: ''The advantage that I have is that I understand your position, I understand it fully and completely because I was in your position.''

4. I can't define god because I don't believe in god, the burden of that is on those who do believe.

So what are you talking about?

jan.

Back