Unicellular beings are programmed

arauca

Banned
Banned
How could the extreme degree of cooperation multicellular existence requires ever evolve? Why aren't all creatures unicellular individualists determined to pass on their own genes?

Joan Strassmann, PhD, and David Queller, PhD, a husband and wife team of evolutionary biologists at Washington University in St. Louis, provide an answer in the Dec. 16 issue of the journal Science. Experiments with amoebae that usually live as individuals but must also join with others to form multicellular bodies to complete their life cycles showed that cooperation depends on kinship.

If amoebae occur in well-mixed cosmopolitan groups, then cheaters will always be able to thrive by freeloading on their cooperative neighbors. But if groups derive from a single cell, cheaters will usually occur in all-cheater groups and will have no cooperators to exploit.

The only exceptions are brand new cheater mutants in all-cooperator groups, and these could pose a problem if the mutation rate is high enough and there are many cells in the group to mutate. In fact, the scientists calculated just how many times amoebae that arose from a single cell can safely divide before cooperation degenerates into a free-for-all.

The answer turns out to be 100 generations or more.

So population bottlenecks that kill off diversity and restart the population from a single cell are powerful stabilizers of cellular cooperation, the scientists conclude.

In other words our liver, blood and bone cells help our eggs and sperm pass on their genes because we passed through a single-cell bottleneck at the moment of conception.

The social amoebae

Queller, the Spencer T. Olin professor, and Strassmann, professor of biology, moved to WUSTL from Rice University this summer, bringing a truckload of frozen spores with them.

Although they worked for many years with wasps and stingless bees, Queller and Strassmann's current "lab rat" is the social amoeba Dictyostelium discoideum, known as Dicty for short.

The social amoebae can be found almost everywhere; in Antarctica, in deserts, in the canopies of tropical forests, and in Forest Park, the urban park that adjoins Washington University.

Experiments explain why almost all multicellular organisms begin life as a single cell
Enlarge

Some stages in the life cycles of a social amoeba. When bacteria are scarce, the amoebae send out a distress signal, rush together to form a loose aggregate (second row, right), then a tight aggregate (second row, middle) and then a finger (second row, left). The finger falls over and becomes a slug (front row, far left) that crawls toward heat and light. Once the slug finds a suitable spot, the back end spreads out, raising the front end in the air (the “Mexican hat” at far left). The front end elongates to form a stalk and the back end of the slug flows up the stalk, reorganizing itself at the top into a ball of spores (back row, right).
The amoebae spend most of their lives as tiny amorphous blobs of streaming protoplasm crawling through the soil looking for E. coli and other bacteria to eat.

Things become interesting when bacteria are scarce and the amoebae begin to starve. They then release chemicals that attract other amoebae, which follow this trail until they bump into one another.

A mound of some 10,000 amoebae forms and then elongates into a slug a few millimeters long that crawls forward (but never backward) toward heat and light.

The slug stops moving when it has reached a suitable place for dispersal, and then the front 20 percent of the amoebae die to produce a sturdy stalk that the remaining cells flow up and there become hardy spores.

Crucially, the 20 percent of the amoebae in the stalk sacrifice their genes so that the other 80 percent can pass theirs on.

When Strassmann and Queller began to work with Dicty in 1998, one of the first things they discovered was that the amoebae sometimes cheat.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-multicellular-life-cell.html

I've always been fascinated by Dictyostelium. It has a (metaphorical) foot on each side of the evolutionary boundary between unicellular and multicellular organisms. This research gives an insight into the selective pressure that might promote the evolution of multicellular organisms.

Arauca,
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the title of your thread?

How could the extreme degree of cooperation multicellular existence requires ever evolve? Why aren't all creatures unicellular individualists determined to pass on their own genes?

Notwithstanding the double entendre of "program" in the thread title, I'm not sure how amoeba relates to this question. Maybe you would want to look at Volvox, which shows a Triassic era branching of cooperating flagellates. You can compare this to Porifera which were already making refinements by the Cambrian, and base their architecture on cooperating flagellates.

Alga_volvox.png

Porifera_cell_types_01.png

...Or, go to the progenitors-apparent: Stromatolites, which ushered in the Mesoproterozoic invention of sexual reproduction and the oxygenated atmosphere:

300px-Stromatolites_in_Sharkbay.jpg

I've always been fascinated by Dictyostelium. It has a (metaphorical) foot on each side of the evolutionary boundary between unicellular and multicellular organisms. This research gives an insight into the selective pressure that might promote the evolution of multicellular organisms.

Arauca,
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the title of your thread?

From what I read , the unicellular organism show some organization and some preference, and they also discriminate . That tells me as if there is an objective of the lowest living organism. I have come across in literature that some bacteria commits sacrifice so the rest of the colony survives.
The question for me is why this lowest form of life strives to survive ? if is not programmed for a purpose . Of course the classical answer is " to pass on its genes " Why ? this for me indicate there is some intelligence , and intelligence for me indicates there must be a thought behind its life.

Certain objects interior to the cell function separately, but function with great efficiency as host and parasite cooperatives.

From what I read , the unicellular organism show some organization and some preference, and they also discriminate . That tells me as if there is an objective of the lowest living organism. I have come across in literature that some bacteria commits sacrifice so the rest of the colony survives.
The question for me is why this lowest form of life strives to survive ? if is not programmed for a purpose . Of course the classical answer is " to pass on its genes " Why ? this for me indicate there is some intelligence , and intelligence for me indicates there must be a thought behind its life.

They strive to survive for the same reason we do- ancestors that didn't want to survive died without passing on their genes.

They strive to survive for the same reason we do- ancestors that didn't want to survive died without passing on their genes.

I don't have a problem with the word strive to survive. My problem is why do they have to strive , unless you would tell me they have some sort of intelligence the pushes them to share their genes . to me a single cell is just a machine to eat shit and reproduce . when you add sacrifice for others that is beyond eat shit and reproduce .

I don't have a problem with the word strive to survive. My problem is why do they have to strive , unless you would tell me they have some sort of intelligence the pushes them to share their genes . to me a single cell is just a machine to eat shit and reproduce . when you add sacrifice for others that is beyond eat shit and reproduce .
There could be some feed back loop even a the unicellular level that represents a feeling of well being (full of food, sugared up). Desire and memory could be very early features. :)

It wouldn't make any sense unless you are aware of how genes work. These organisms behave like they want to survive because the gene codes for that behavior. If they didn't have those genes, they wouldn't survive. If an organism sacrifices itself to help it's neighbors, it's genes still survive because the neighbors also share the same genes. So it's not strictly survival of the fittest organism, but survival of the fittest gene in the gene pool.

There could be some feed back loop even a the unicellular level that represents a feeling of well being (full of food, sugared up). Desire and memory could be very early features. :)

Please don't equate yourself with amoeba I will agree on memory for extracellular being but not with amoeba

It wouldn't make any sense unless you are aware of how genes work.

There have to be a censor or need in order to stimulate several enzymes and in particular to the one which will stimulate go commit suicide to preserve the specie for survival, When you mention suicide you are making a choice me or them , that is beyond simple genome

/////////////////////////////

These organisms behave like they want to survive because the gene codes for that behavior. If they didn't have those genes, they wouldn't survive.

you a right. let me ask you a 3 month baby knows survive of the specie. Those gene have not matured yet

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If an organism sacrifices itself to help it's neighbors, it's genes still survive because the neighbors also share the same genes. So it's not strictly survival of the fittest organism, but survival of the fittest gene in the gene pool.

That is a special gene . with out that special gene , it is just a meat ball.
why would an amoebae need such genome ?

Please don't equate yourself with amoeba I will agree on memory for extracellular being but not with amoeba
Their memory might have only one fact in it. Very primordial memory. Could be like a memory of a direction back to a safe place. (it is only an idea I'm not saying it is true.) :)

Their memory might have only one fact in it. Very primordial memory. Could be like a memory of a direction back to a safe place. (it is only an idea I'm not saying it is true.) :)

My experience with lower form mainly operate on trail and error or go no go
Any way you guys see it your way I see it my way , you have to convice me with evidence not with wise word of wisdom.

My experience with lower form mainly operate on trail and error or go no go
Any way you guys see it your way I see it my way , you have to convice me with evidence not with wise word of wisdom.
If a single celled organism had the the capacity to remember just 1 thing (thats not sense one thing, but remember) what sort of experiment would show this?
Each type of memory could be tested for separately. But you would have to think about the tests. Idea: where it has been before might be worth remembering. So it need not look for food in a place it has already been.
Test that one?:)

What about viruses? They are not cells, yet they still exist and procreate themselves. They are also programed to survive are they not?

That is a special gene . with out that special gene , it is just a meat ball.
why would an amoebae need such genome ?

ameobae aren't simple creatures, their behavior is quite complex, far greater than bacteria. Just because they only have one cell, don't let that fool you. But cooperative behavior is also common in bacteria, they have something called quorum sensing, where if enough of them are present, they act differently then when they are alone. They don't have to make an intellectual decision, it's like a computer. When the stimulus is there, they act one way, when it's absent, they act another.

What about viruses? They are not cells, yet they still exist and procreate themselves. They are also programed to survive are they not?
Because they use a host they sometimes program the host to behave in ways that help spread the virus. E.g. a rabies infected animal will be more aggressive (is that right). :)

/wiki/Quorum_sensing" said:
quorum sensing[/URL], where if enough of them are present, they act differently then when they are alone. They don't have to make an intellectual decision, it's like a computer. When the stimulus is there, they act one way, when it's absent, they act another.

O agree with you . they are like a computer hard drive , but it functions on a soft ware . And the soft ware is programmed .

Back