understanding pain

That's a really good question! But I doubt it. Could be wrong. Lactic acid is always present in your muscles. Acidosis means it becomes more acidic (decrease in Ph). But there has to be sometype of signalling system in your metabolism that sends pain signals to your brain when you use your muscles extensively to the extreme. I don't think you could attribute that just to one chemical compound. I mean look, people have arthritis and feel the same type of pain in your joints. Certainly this would not be attributed to lactic acidosis. But it could have a connection. Has to be due to something that triggers a response in the perephial nervous system.

Lactic Acidosis

Physical Findings:

The physical examination also varies according to the underlying cause of lactic acidosis. Cardiovascular compromise is a frequent finding, explaining many of the associated signs, which include cyanosis, cold extremities, tachycardia, hypotension, signs of dehydration, hyperventilation or dyspnea, lethargy, stupor or coma, vomiting, and/or abdominal pain.....
The most frequent cause of lactic acidosis is poor perfusion, which is induced by various shock states, overwhelming infection, or other causes of hypoxia. Medicinal and toxic causes of lactic acidosis are quite numerous, including acetaminophen, alcohols and glycols (ethanol, ethylene glycol, methanol, propylene glycol), almitrine, antiretroviral nucleoside analogs (zidovudine, delavirdine, didanosine, lamivudine, stavudine, zalcitabine), beta-adrenergic agents (eg, epinephrine, ritodrine, terbutaline), biguanides (phenformin, metformin), cocaine, cyanogenic compounds (eg, cyanide, aliphatic nitriles, nitroprusside), diethyl ether, 5-fluorouracil, halothane, iron, isoniazid, nalidixic acid, propofol, sugars and sugar alcohols (fructose, sorbitol, and xylitol), salicylates (eg, Reye syndrome), strychnine, sulfasalazine, and valproic acid.

Lactic acidosis also may occur in association with an underlying disease, such as diabetes mellitus, severe iron-deficiency anemia, liver diseases, alcoholic ketoacidosis, pancreatitis, malignancy (eg, leukemias, lymphomas, lung cancer), alkalosis, infections (malaria, cholera), renal failure, pheochromocytoma, thiamine deficiency, short gut syndrome and other carbohydrate malabsorption syndromes (eg, d-lactic acidosis), and milk protein intolerance.
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic291.htm

I think, pain can be related to underlying condition.Is it not possible?

Last edited:
Kumar said:
Whether pain on exertion is related to lactic acidosis?
The description posted above seems more related to abnormalities and diseases, no?

Lactic Acid is the byproduct of the production of the energy molecule ADP which is produced during muscle contractions. Acidosis simply refers to the fact that so much is being produced during physical exertion or exercise that it becomes more acidic, i.e., it has a lower Ph level than normal.

Now getting back to the original question, there are pain receptors on the outer surface of the muscle, but none on the inside. The outer surface that encloses all the muscle fibers is called the epimysium (outer covering). When you develop muscle fatigue you actual tear some of the inner muscle fibers called myofibrils. Proteins go to work immeaditely to begin repairing these slight tears, but this is partially what causes the muscle to swell - like when you're pumping iron. This swelling of the muscle activates those pain receptors on the epimysium which are part of your central nervous system that goes to your brain, thus you feel a sensation of pain. In some cases, like when you're not quite in the best of shape and try to run up the side of a mountain, this swelling may not subside completely until a couple or a few days later. This is why you might still feel a lingering pain for 2-3 days after you really exert yourself.

So how's that for an explanation?

Back