UFO Evidence so Real it's not Pseudo

Giambattista said:
Do you really think that they're all (provided that they're real) powered by magnetic force (and mysterious "thrusters")? Or is this just a "possible" theory that you've taken a liking to?

... I don't know whether the actual term like or liking comes into any of this. Before you get to the subject of aliens, alien abductions and all the rest of the stuff associated with extraterrestrials y'have to establish clearly and unequivocally that there's a something in the first place to get all worked up and hot under the collar about the rest - that means establishing whether or not a thing that conforms to UFO characteristics, as a form of vehicular means, is physically possible.

Without that, you've got jack.

There are all manner of theoretical possibilities when it comes to the sorts of physics usually associated with UFO's, some tenable, some not at all. The net is full of the stuff - The problem with them all is you can't know whether or not the solution you come up with is actually the case - unless you can actually apply the sorts of physics one comes up with you don't know whether the idea actually works. Or not.

Looking at the problem in terms of applied physics circumvents that drawback.

Providing one doesn't attribute either properties or behaviours not credibly acknowledged as being part and parcel of the sorts of physical principals you're using you're dealing with quantities that are both known in terms of how they work; calculable, in terms of what is required of them and to what effect; predictable in terms of how these physical principals can be expressed and demonstrable in actual practice.

Now, were the sorts of physical principals I've been outlining specifically to you regarding this a-propulsive idea of a UFO merely one of simple convince alone - ie, neat idea, seems to fit, it'll do - I wouldn't be pushing it. Unless the idea is actually relevant to purportedly "real" UFO behaviour it doesn't have any direct baring consequently it's just an idea.

But the more you go through alleged UFO sightings the more you come to realise that what's being described isn't the consequence of the thing simply being a UFO - ie, something all spooky and mysterious and just doing things in order to facilitate a late night scare story - but rather as the consequence of it being an actual object constrained to behave in accordance with whatever physical principals actually underly it.

An actual real world physical object conforming to real world physics.

Specifically the ones I've been outlining - that's why I believe it to be possibly relevant.

I personally may not particularly like that, in fact given my often negligible tolerance for all manner of topics UFO, I frankly find it damn inconvenient and a monumental potential pain in the arse to boot, but whilst people continue to be banging it back and forth endlessly hither and yon, all the time people are arguing about this and flapping away about the other the simple fact remains that yes, actually, a thing that you could only describe as being a UFO is actually physically possible - here's how.

Since it's all the sort of stuff taught in high school level general science classes it makes it kind of hard to argue with...

UFO believers of course, hate the notion. Not really my problem. I don't actually believe in UFO's - they either exist or they don't, without them y'don't get any of the rest. The physics book says they can, until I know better I'm somewhat stuck with it.

As to your sighting:

drone04cypher0do.jpg
drone019ml.jpg
predatory027wp.jpg

I did a bit of rummaging and located a couple of snaps of drones conforming roughly to your description of what you saw - as soon as you first relayed your story I immediately pictured a Cypher - that's the first one, US Marine Corps remote surveillance drone. The second one, The Sentinel, was a prototype only civilian development built for tender for the Canadian Government - the description you gave of it being top heavy stuck in my mind.

Neither conform exactly to what you saw, equally neither are capable of the sorts of speeds you relay - the Cypher is developed to be relatively quiet, but both their both designed for strategic Ob's not combat deployment.

The faster remote drones fall along the lines of the Predator, third along - there's also stealthed up version of the Predator, looks like a UFO noisy as hell.

If you're thinking still along the lines of some form of lighter than air craft - your fundamental problem becomes that of explaining how you're LTA Craft began accelerating at speed back and forth in the manner you describe - if it's lighter than air and propulsed - the engine also has to be lighter than air otherwise the craft simply isn't. Couple that with the fact that this LTA structure equally has to be as physically robust as any other form of conventional jet powered aircraft - and indeed, you have one irreconcilable mystery on your hands.

Your thingies, whatever they were, couldn't have been both LTA and physically propulsed at the same time - not really to the sorts of speeds you describe.

I'm not being biased, it's just the fact that what you would be describing when viewed in such exact terms would require extraordinary physics to explain - but only if in fact what appears to be a LTA object physically actually is.

In my previous response you are left with a description of something which, especially at low speeds, would hold a course not at all unlike that one could expect more conventionally from a balloon. I realise in my description, from what you relay, you get the impression (with regards to the thing batting back and forth at higher speeds) that what I'm describing would be some sort of circular course - but actually, in the diagram, I do indicate quite clearly that its actual path would be pretty tight (actually a very tight figure of 8) and as you initially relayed, over the course of it behaving in this side to side fashion before shooting off you do relay the observation as being increasing hard to make out clearly - a fact no doubt compounded by its speed, but from the angle you were observing from, might not also some degree of increase in distance between yourself and its actual position have been the case?

An observation suggesting strongly that, though not travelling away in a southerly direction terribly far, as it was shooting backward and forth east to west it was also moving away from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) ... I know what y'mean, they are rather Bond, James Bond.... The prototypes however, they were all originally knocked up out of salvaged parts, other than the airframe. A thing like a Cypher's very doable y'know... ;)

You're right about the lighter-than-air. I know it's pretty impossible for them to be such, being such small creatures. I had been thinking about someone's explanation for a certain flying triangle phenomenon, and the person had said they were powered by an extremely high-powered, but silent turbofan (?). The actual craft is actual either helium or hydrogen-filled. More like a sleek triangular blimp. However, those craft obviously have the volume to hold the amount of gas it would take.

I just made that observation because of the very weightless "attitude" these things had!

The two objects, based on what I perceived, and the description of my brother's friend, were at least the size of a regular American automobile.
As I said, I've looked at quite a few drone aircraft, and knowing roughly their flight characteristics, etc, I know that if these things were a surveillance craft of the military, they aren't being discussed in any articles I'VE personally browsed.

Giambattista said:
I had been thinking about someone's explanation for a certain flying triangle phenomenon, and the person had said they were powered by an extremely high-powered, but silent turbofan (?). The actual craft is actual either helium or hydrogen-filled. More like a sleek triangular blimp.

:) ... Mmmm, I believe I'm familiar with the beasty you mean.

hstealthblimp035mo.jpg

The Lockheed Martin Stealth Blimp, envisioned as a mass cargo, troop and tactical ordinance carrier - whether or not she ever made it off the drawing board, this initial conceptual dates back from around 1982, remains not entirely founded. There's a whole slew of so called Black Budget Bogie's supposedly out there, things like the spooky UFO physics driven TR-3B ( Astra) or the more down to earth and possibly now decommissioned Penetrator (Aurora).

Once the B2 Spirit, you're now classic Stealth Bomber, went into production Lockheed Martin and McDonald Douglas went into overdrive with conceptual stealth designs, including many radical engine proposals for the X-Plane series, right the way through the 80's. Chief amongst them proved to be the development of a functioning Ram-Jet Engine, commonly acknowledged as being the likeliest reason detra behind Aurora.

As for the actual Stealth Blimp itself, certainly it's conceptually sound enough on paper but she was envisioned as a relatively low speed, high level bulk cruiser. Though people indeed bang on about these babies on the internet with every ounce of hushed speculation every bit as fitting as that applied to your average purported UFO incident over Groom Lake, there's never been any evidence of it being actually deployed, let alone comissioned.

Put it this way, if this thing were in service, the troops would have been down on the ground in Iraq a hell of a lot more quickly than they were... ;)

Mr Anonymous said:
:) ... I know what y'mean, they are rather Bond, James Bond.... The prototypes however, they were all originally knocked up out of salvaged parts, other than the airframe. A thing like a Cypher's very doable y'know... ;)

You can make a cypher like RC model yourself, from a kit! Check this out;

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4840&cat=198&t=articleprint

And check out the vids. Now, imagine one of those babies all lit up with some nice colour phasing LEDs.

Mr Anonymous said:
Put it this way, if this thing were in service, the troops would have been down on the ground in Iraq a hell of a lot more quickly than they were... ;)

Probably right. Last time I heard, yes, it was indeed only a concept, and not an actual implemented design.

Though, I do know someone who witnessed one of the more standard flying black triangles. I should find out more about that sighting.

phlogistician said:
And check out the vids. Now, imagine one of those babies all lit up with some nice colour phasing LEDs.

:) .... Actually, I kind of did. Nothing quite to that sort of scale, but managed to cobble together a little desk top working model out of a cannibalised light weight electric motor, the rotor from a plastic helicopter model kit and the container from a Chinese takeaway - cable powered sort of an affair, ran off an old model train transformer, only hovered about 8 inches or so. Was an amazingly good little motor until I burned it out...

I was beamingly pleased. I remember the look of quiet, drawn out disbelief/helpless despair on my poor darling wifes face as she realised quite what it actually was I'd been up to for the previous couple of days instead of working.

Never quite understood quite at what particular point in a relationship that exact sort of expression first comes into the repertoire, but women really are awfully good at it...

Bless 'em.

Giambattista said:
Though, I do know someone who witnessed one of the more standard flying black triangles. I should find out more about that sighting.

:) ... Mmmm, never quite understood why, in the popular cognisance of things, if its generally either circular, cylindrical, spherical, etc popular consensus has the vehicle placed as being undoubtedly extraterrestrial in origin.

If its black and triangular, alway it's man made indicative only of Government implementation of retro-engineered UFO techknology...

Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. ;)

Did have one question though regarding your sighting. Roughly how fast, would you estimate, did it eventually disappear at - roughly, would y'say?

Over 400 or so mph, or slower?

One other question - I'm presuming your not a resident of Canada, though if you are that would have been my first guess regarding your sighting - neverthless, you mentioned being within range of an airforce base. More curiosity than anything but do any of these names ring a bell?

• AAF A. P. Hill
    AAF Arlington Heights Army Heliport
    AAF Bismarck
    AAF Blackstone (Allen C. Perkinson AP)
    AAF Camp McCoy
    AAF Felker
    AAF Fort Harrison
    AAF Gray
    AAF Haley
    AAF Helena
    AAF Muir
    AAF Phillips (Aberdeen Proving Ground)
    AAF RAP Akron-Canton
    AAF Ray S. Miller
    AAF Tipton (AP)
    AAF Vagabond
    AAF Weide (Aberdeen Proving Ground)
    AAF Wheeler-Sack
    AFB Andrews
    AFB Ellsworth
    AFB Fairchild
    AFB Francis E. Warren
    AFB Grand Forks
    AFB Griffiss
    AFB K. I. Sawyer
    AFB Langley
    AFB Loring
    AFB Malmstrom
    AFB McChord
    AFB McGuire
    AFB Minot
    AFB Mountain Home
    AFB Scott
    AFB Wright-Patterson
    AFS Cavalier
    AFS Newark
    AHP Fort Lee
    AHP Iowa
    AHP Oakdale
    ANGB Andrews (AFB)
    ANGB AP Colonel Francis S. Gabreski
    ANGB AP Mansfield Lahm
    ANGB AP Martin State
    ANGB AP Sioux Gateway
    ANGB AP Yeager
    ANGB Atlantic City (IAP)
    ANGB Bangor (IAP)
    ANGB Battle Creek
    ANGB Boise
    ANGB Burlington (IAP)
    ANGB Capital
    ANGB Cheyenne
    ANGB Dane County
    ANGB Des Moines
    ANGB Duluth
    ANGB Eastern West Virginia (RAP) (Shepherd Field)
    ANGB Ft. Wayne
    ANGB Great Falls
    ANGB Greater Peoria
    ANGB IAP Hancock
    ANGB IAP Harrisburg-Olmstedt
    ANGB IAP Hector
    ANGB IAP O'Hare
    ANGB IAP Richmond (Byrd Field)
    ANGB IAP Terre Haute
    ANGB Joe Foss Field
    ANGB Kingsley Field
    ANGB Mitchell Field
    ANGB Pittsburgh (IAP)
    ANGB Portland (IAP)
    ANGB RAP Alpena County
    ANGB Selfridge
    ANGB Stewart (IAP)
    ANGB Stratton (County AP Schenectady)
    ANGB Volk Field
    ARB Grissom
    ARS General Billy Mitchell
    ARS Minneapolis-St. Paul
    ARS Niagara Falls
    ARS Pittsburgh (IAP)
    ARS Willow Grove
    ARS Youngstown
    CGAF Long Island
    CGAF Muskegon
    CGAF Newport North Bend Det.
    CGAS Astoria
    CGAS Atlantic City
    CGAS Detroit
    CGAS Port Angeles
    CGAS Traverse City
    NAF Washington (AFB Andrews)
    NARC Minneapolis
    NARC Selfridge
    NAS Brunswick
    NAS Glenview
    NAS Lakehurst
    NAS Norfolk
    NAS Oceana
    NAS Patuxent River
    NAS Seattle
    NAS Whidbey Island
    NAS Willow Grove (JRB)
    NB Kitsap
    NS Bremerton
    NS Norfolk (Chambers Field)
    NS Everett
    NS Great Lakes

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Anonymous said:
:) .... Actually, I kind of did. Nothing quite to that sort of scale, but managed to cobble together a little desk top working model out of a cannibalised light weight electric motor, the rotor from a plastic helicopter model kit and the container from a Chinese takeaway - cable powered sort of an affair, ran off an old model train transformer, only hovered about 8 inches or so. Was an amazingly good little motor until I burned it out...

Excellent! I've done similar. As a kid (and airforce brat) I was fascinated by things that fly, so made all sorts of gliders, rubber band powered planes, bungee launched gliders, and dabbled with hovercraft (old polystyrene tiles, DC motor, and a prop from the hobby shop), and various 'experimental' things like you describe. Although I never had the cash for RC kit, and battery technology just wouldn't have permitted a self contained vehicle to fly under it's own power in my day.

I'd love to make such a VTOL type RC craft, or one of these;

http://www.mugi.co.uk/ (check out the vids, esp the night flying vid in the 'Multimedia' section)

... now I am a wage earning adult, but I fear that expression you mentioned, and know I'd be on the receiving end if I embarked on any such project before completing a few unfinished DIY projects around the house.

It's perhaps just as well, I know I'd get carried away, equip such a craft with LEDs and lasers, and probably scare people into a 'War of the Worlds' type frenzy.

Mr Anonymous said:
:) ... Mmmm, never quite understood why, in the popular cognisance of things, if its generally either circular, cylindrical, spherical, etc popular consensus has the vehicle placed as being undoubtedly extraterrestrial in origin.

If its black and triangular, alway it's man made indicative only of Government implementation of retro-engineered UFO techknology...

Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. ;)

:confused: I don't get it.

In all honesty, because it's close to what a normal aircraft looks life, especially the stealth. And probably quite a few people have mistaken the stealth craft for the other.

Mr Anonymous said:
Did have one question though regarding your sighting. Roughly how fast, would you estimate, did it eventually disappear at - roughly, would y'say?

Over 400 or so mph, or slower?

I regret that I myself did not see it when it left the scene; I was indoors at the time and had just gone out, and my brother informed me of its departure.
Given his description (maybe 2 or 3 seconds from due south to disappear to the west) and that I've seen many manners of aircraft, some at high-speed, I would say 400 mph would be the minimum. And for something that small and completely silent, that says something. Not sure what, but it's mumbling meaningfully. Or whispering?

Really hard to tell. If I had been up closer, I may have a bit more to say. Or if I had had a camera...

Speaking of that, go to this link:

http://www.ufoevidence.org/photographs/decade/post2000.htm

The first photo, from the description I got and what I saw, is very very similar to what we witnessed. This is one of those "I didn't see it until I looked at the pictures" objects. Skip to the third photo over on that page, same object. On the next page is pretty much the same thing, only it was photographed in England instead of the North America.

One other question - I'm presuming your not a resident of Canada, though if you are that would have been my first guess regarding your sighting - neverthless, you mentioned being within range of an airforce base. More curiosity than anything but do any of these names ring a bell?

Several of them are familiar, yes.

Giambattista said:
Several of them are familiar, yes.

Familiar as in relevant to the specific area in which the observation took place or just familiar in the general sense of "Oh, yes. I've heard of that one"?

:) ... Sorry to press you on this, about the last thing I want you to do is give away any personal information specific to where you actually live so just a simple yes or no answer is really the most useful, but I could do with knowing one way or another. Just a yay or nay.

Have to run. Proper responses to all soon. A ;)

I KNOW who you work for, Buster Bronco!

Yes, familiar as in, one is very close, and several more are within a few hundred miles.

Narrow it down slightly: no naval bases are involved.

Giambattista said:
I KNOW who you work for, Buster Bronco!

Well, kind of. In a manner of speaking. I suppose y'could say I'm more an "Outside Contractor" as it were. Of course, usually when someone such as myself is put on a job, it generally means someone has made a number of very powerful individuals very upset indeed. I suppose therefore in real life that must mean you're either Caspar Weinberger, the actor Will Wheton or else Céline Dion...

Giambattista said:
Yes, familiar as in, one is very close, and several more are within a few hundred miles.

Narrow it down slightly: no naval bases are involved.

Smashing - that really is most gratifying to hear, thank you. And yes, there was a reason for asking before y'ask - it has to so with your sighting. Sorry about the inordinately long list of Airforce Bases y'had to wade through however they're not at all as randomly picked as they may at first have appeared -

AAF A. P. Hill AAF Arlington Heights Army Heliport AAF Bismarck AAF Blackstone (Allen C. Perkinson AP) AAF Camp McCoy AAF Felker AAF Fort Harrison AAF Gray AAF Haley AAF Helena AAF Muir AAF Phillips (Aberdeen Proving Ground) AAF RAP Akron-Canton AAF Ray S. Miller AAF Tipton (AP) AAF Vagabond AAF Weide (Aberdeen Proving Ground) AAF Wheeler-Sack AFB Andrews AFB Ellsworth AFB Fairchild AFB Francis E. Warren AFB Grand Forks AFB Griffiss AFB K. I. Sawyer AFB Langley AFB Loring AFB Malmstrom AFB McChord AFB McGuire AFB Minot AFB Mountain Home AFB Scott AFB Wright-Patterson AFS Cavalier AFS Newark AHP Fort Lee AHP Iowa AHP Oakdale ANGB Andrews (AFB) ANGB AP Colonel Francis S. Gabreski ANGB AP Mansfield Lahm ANGB AP Martin State ANGB AP Sioux Gateway ANGB AP Yeager ANGB Atlantic City (IAP) ANGB Bangor (IAP) ANGB Battle Creek ANGB Boise ANGB Burlington (IAP) ANGB Capital ANGB Cheyenne ANGB Dane County ANGB Des Moines ANGB Duluth ANGB Eastern West Virginia (RAP) (Shepherd Field) ANGB Ft. Wayne ANGB Great Falls ANGB Greater Peoria ANGB IAP Hancock ANGB IAP Harrisburg-Olmstedt ANGB IAP Hector ANGB IAP O'Hare ANGB IAP Richmond (Byrd Field) ANGB IAP Terre Haute ANGB Joe Foss Field ANGB Kingsley Field ANGB Mitchell Field ANGB Pittsburgh (IAP) ANGB Portland (IAP) ANGB RAP Alpena County ANGB Selfridge ANGB Stewart (IAP) ANGB Stratton (County AP Schenectady) ANGB Volk Field ARB Grissom ARS General Billy Mitchell ARS Minneapolis-St. Paul ARS Niagara Falls ARS Pittsburgh (IAP) ARS Willow Grove ARS Youngstown CGAF Long Island CGAF Muskegon CGAF Newport North Bend Det. CGAS Astoria CGAS Atlantic City CGAS Detroit CGAS Port Angeles CGAS Traverse City NAF Washington (AFB Andrews) NARC Minneapolis NARC Selfridge NAS Brunswick NAS Glenview NAS Lakehurst NAS Norfolk NAS Oceana NAS Patuxent River NAS Seattle NAS Whidbey Island NAS Willow Grove (JRB) NB Kitsap NS Bremerton NS Norfolk (Chambers Field) NS Everett NS Great Lakes

Above is the original list I asked you to give the once over for anything recognisable regarding installations of the kind you mentioned in passing but didn't specify which in your initial relaying of the object you and your brother saw.

Plotted on a map displaying all publicly declared USAB's throughout the continental US of A (the states highlighted in blue) you'll note they're all located throughout the northern most States (bellow). Hence, the size of the list.

usab18ai.gif

Difficult to actually read properly at that scale I know, but if you follow the linky here you'll find a full sized, unadulterated version with comprehensive list of everything Airforce Uncle Sam has to offer - you'll also be want to note that there are considerably more such installations located elsewhere which don't actually occur on the list I gave.

Would you like to know how I managed to refine the search criteria down to the specific portion of the continent that I did?

Believe it or not - your estimation of the speed the vehicle you relayed seeing attained before disappearing off into the big wide blue.

You were very clear in your story about the subject of the sorts of speeds y'saw this thing travelling at, and in relaying that you were already quite used to seeing all manner of fast moving non-commercial air traffic due to your proximity to an airbase I reasoned, in giving any kind of estimate regarding speed at all, your general familiarity with regular, frequent air traffic could be trusted as being reasonably within the ball park - so I thought I'd actually apply for once some of the gubbins I've been mouthing on about over the course of the last few forevers rather than just droning on about it ad nausium...

I swear, I even find I bore myself with it sometimes and I'm quite by far one of the most interesting chaps I've ever had the privilege to have met... ;)

The basic idea underlying this a-propulsive UFO Model is that the observation of it travelling at any degree of appreciable speed comes about not because its expending energy in propulsion, but because it's actually slowing down from a previously far, far higher speed from a degree of inertia already applied too it by something else - in the context of a relatively higher altitude observation that turn of speed comes about through loosing some portion of the orbital inertia already applied to it from simply being deployed from orbit.

At far lower altitudes both inertia and direction would be being acquired actually from forming some degree of attractance too some feature already on the Earths surface and allowing the rotation of the Earth to pull it in the direction it's turning.

Thus, if you were to be standing on the Equator and observed a vehicle operating under these principals hovering stationary over one particular place it's mass would actually have to be travelling at a speed of roughly 1038 mph in an Easterly direction the entire time in order to maintain that geostationary position - the instant it slowed down from that speed it would appear to move, West wards, it's speed in the main mostly the consequence of it decelerating from its previous velocity - that being, in this instance, 1038 mph, or there abouts.

Of course, that being these case, it would somewhat dictate that whatever speed you would observe such a vehicle operating in this way travelling at, it's overall speed at these lower level altitudes would be being dictated by where in the world the observation is taking place.

For every degree of latitude you travel from the equator, the rotational speed of the Earths surface diminishes the further North or South you travel all the way to the poles.

Thus, a vehicle operating in this way, when buggering off at appreciable speed in a generally Westerly heading at the equator is going to max out at a top observed speed somewhat faster than the same when observed at a higher or lower degree of latitude.

Knowing that speed of "departure", if the principal is at all correct, should tell you roughly where (in terms of latitude) the event is taking - of course it isn't going to tell you which particular hemisphere its taking place in, but it should indicate the latitude.

Well, that's the theory. Back to the map.

usab20td.gif

Being as you didn't see it happening you weren't, as you'll recall, able to estimate the speed the object appeared to be travelling at when it was departing. But you were able to tell me it left in a roughly South Westerly heading at certainly no less than 400 mph, and that prior to leaving the area it first arrived travelling at a speed of around 40 mph or so and then suddenly, after bobbing up and down a bit, started buzzing West to East at around 400 mph.

About that at least you've been absolutely adamant about.

Now, if I bang on about how specifically, this post will never end. But, before being able to leave the vicinity, any vehicle operating in those sorts of terms would have to loose at least half of its Easterly applied inertia in order to do it - to actually leave the area it would have to acquire a little bit also in a Westerly heading, but in order to be able to leave relatively quickly as you relay it would have to loose half of the inertia it was initially travelling at.

Now, you say it originally entered the area travelling very slowly at approximately 40 mph heading roughly south and seemed to acquire a speed of roundabout 400 mph shortly there after.

Subtracting that initial speed of 40 mph you gave me from 400 mph gave me a figure of around 360 mph which, multiplied by 2 gives a speed of around the 720 mph mark.

Being as my math is frankly appalling and I couldn't calculate it anyway, that places the events you described as having occurred somewhere either on or around a line of latitude roughly 50° from the equator - I peg it as occurring between 45° and 55° because you don't know exactly how fast the thing really was travelling and 50° is a good enough base to calculate to thanks to the chaps up in Astronomy and Astrophysics. I figured you were an American so that refined the search for the particular airbase or bases relative to your location as being somewhere coast to coast amongst the top third portion of the United States.

Not exactly figuring out your zip code and credit card PIN number, and certainly not posited as any form of either serious or at all conclusive proof regarding the tedious guff I'm capable of droning on about for hours at a stretch - that you only get from wrapping ones head around a standard applied physics book and putting some of the stuff in there to work for you.

But, it's amusing nevertheless to consider and, who knows, perhaps possibly even actually informative - in a round about, impossibly hard to follow kind of a way...

Ta for the work out. I actually enjoyed that. You be careful of Buster Bronco now, y'hear...

Regards,

A

phlogistician said:
It's perhaps just as well, I know I'd get carried away, equip such a craft with LEDs and lasers, and probably scare people into a 'War of the Worlds' type frenzy.

Ah, the plight of the Happily Domesticated Male, like the plight of The Repo Man, is often intense...

I have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to actually mean, but there's a curious sense of comfort in knowing wage earning and DIY and looks to be avoided are universal - God, somehow, seems in Her heaven.

I loved the vids by the by, but indeed, frankly, other than wanting to deck one of these things out in the fashion described and putting a wiggins up the neighbours - actually purchasing one and putting it all together...

What else can one actually do with one of the things except put a fright up the neighbours with it etc, etc.

Y'know, reflective mylar really is terribly cheap. All y'need is a couple of thin strips of metal with a voltage running through it to get them to heat up and y'can can heat seal lengths together and cut to any form y'want - I mean, a toureal balloon, mount a light weight motor in the centre for lift and a couple of small outboaders for lateral guidence... Y'could build a really, really big barstard for about the same cost as one of these kit jobs.

Rig her with your lights, bounce a few lazer pointers off her when she's airborne. All y'need is a bottle of helium, and face it. Just having a bottle of helium alone is never less than funny... : )

Well, I'm not so sure what to say.

Bottle of helium? Yes, that is quite funny. And one can achieve a very similarly humorous effect with a good pitch-shifter!

That's what I know.

Giambattista said:
Well, I'm not so sure what to say.

:) ... I know, I know. I don't so much as talk, I drone....

I promise, I'm done. You're awfully diplomatic, bless you.

And as to the pitch-shifter thing - indeed, similar effect but I'm sorry. In the House of Anonymous the patented original Helium brand name still means something, gosh darn it! :p

Toodles,

A ;)

Mr Anonymous said:
I loved the vids by the by, but indeed, frankly, other than wanting to deck one of these things out in the fashion described and putting a wiggins up the neighbours - actually purchasing one and putting it all together...

Yes indeed, the actual effort to pull off some scam being more than I am willing to put in. Too many resposibilities to invest the time, sadly.

Y'know, reflective mylar really is terribly cheap. All y'need is a couple of thin strips of metal with a voltage running through it to get them to heat up and y'can can heat seal lengths together and cut to any form y'want - I mean, a toureal balloon, mount a light weight motor in the centre for lift and a couple of small outboaders for lateral guidence... Y'could build a really, really big barstard for about the same cost as one of these kit jobs.

Rig her with your lights, bounce a few lazer pointers off her when she's airborne. All y'need is a bottle of helium, and face it. Just having a bottle of helium alone is never less than funny... : )

Indeed, and a TV program in the UK did exactly this! 'A Very British UFO Hoax' was aired by Channel 4. They made a 25ft wide mylar saucer, filled it with helium, and buzzed it around Avebury, which is famed in the UK for it's 'paranormal' activity thanks to it's standing stones, etc.

Although many of the locals didn't fall for it;

"Any UFO that travels at 3mph and buzzes like a hairdryer is not that impressive to me." (http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146411147)

But that didn't stop some from embellishing the size, and complexity of the model when later interviewed by the press.

Apparently, some people now claim that the documentary was a cover up, and it wasn't a hoax!

Can't win, even when you have evidence.

:) ... Mmmm, and I'll wager those positing the "it was a cover up" scenario didn't even see the blessed thing in the first place, only heard about what was merely supposed to have transpired after the fact.

Indeed, I remember the programme. Was actually interesting though how very few of the locals actually went for it - the variation in description in subsequent interview, that's just part of the landscape when taking witness statements regarding anything - people routinely fill in and embellish mostly without actually realising it although, if the media are involved, the likelihood for creative licence increases as people become very consciously aware that what is required from them is something interesting. Interesting enough at least to be part of the overall coverage of the story.

Size, distance, unique and specific details when given in such testimony never can be entirely trusted - especially when people have been discussing amongst themselves exactly what it is they've seen.

If one person in such a group relays a detail not actually noticed at all by the others but does so with conviction - the others both allow the information and incorporate into their own recollections as acceptable, rationalising that possibly the information being relayed comes from someone with a clearer fields of view or else simply paying more attention than themselves.

The actual unlikely nature of what is being observed itself compounds the process - if one is relaying the observation of something generally considered spurious and unbelievable in the first place the tendency on the part of the witness is to be, first and foremost, believed in their testimony. Consequently, where consensus exists, the tendency for the individual is to not act in any manner invalidating their own testimony.

If all the individual has to go on is what everyone else claims to have seen, even if they didn't actually see it, they'll act in corroboration with each other simply to remain credible and rationalise the reason why they didn't see what everyone else claims to have done by dint of some failure on their own part rather than just stick to what they actually saw.

Of course, this isn't a failing on the part of the witnesses per say - it's simply human nature.

It's the interviewer, the person playing the role of Investigator, that basically propagates the behaviour.

But indeed, it was generally interesting how very, very few of the locals actually fell for that one - mind, given the problems they had with control and the actually chronically slow speed they could only get the thing to move at, there wasn't really enough present in the actual "UFO" itself to really detract adequately enough from its fundamental shortcomings as as a supposedly "inexplicable" object.

Mere shape and form alone patently isn't enough to put a proper spook up folks. Not in Avensbury at anyrate... ;)

Back