Two Incidents - What'd ya' Think?

They do? Who? Doreen, an unloaded weapon (handgun) is nothing but a heavy chunk of metal without ammo. Who would carry a heavy chunk of metal around with them? No one that I know!

Baron Max

That's what I think as well. I don't know anyone who has either

Well, whaddaya know?

Sometimes it is a comfort to be proven wrong. A couple weeks ago, I wrote:

Tiassa said:

As far as prosecution is concerned, it ain't gonna happen. And if it somehow does? I can't imagine the victim in this case being particularly cooperative. Not that he will be hostile. But his recollection will be fuzzy, and it won't be, in retrospect, that big a deal to him.

And, well, even though I missed it last week, it seems I was about as wrong as I could be:

Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas pleaded guilty Friday to illegally possessing an unlicensed handgun in the District of Columbia in a locker-room incident last month.

The 28-year-old NBA all-star told Superior Court Judge Robert E. Morin that he understood he could receive up to five years in prison when he is sentenced on March 26.

But Arenas' attorney, Kenneth Wainstein, told the court that the government will ask for no more than six months, under the terms of a plea agreement ....

.... The government has agreed to limit its recommendation to the low end of the guidelines -- "estimated to be between six and 24 months, with probation, a split sentence, or incarceration permissible," U.S. Attorney Channing Phillips said in a written statement.

(CNN)

We'll have to wait until the end of March to find out what the sentence will be.

Notes:

Cable News Network. "NBA star Gilbert Arenas pleads guilty in gun incident". January 15, 2010. CNN.com. January 21, 2010. http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/15/gilbert.arenas.gun/index.html

They do? Who? Doreen, an unloaded weapon (handgun) is nothing but a heavy chunk of metal without ammo. Who would carry a heavy chunk of metal around with them? No one that I know!

Baron Max
Baron, you must know that in many places it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon but legal to carry an unloaded one. People transport weapons for all sorts of reasons. To show friends. To be cool. To and from firing ranges. After purchasing. When shifting abode. Responsible people and people concerned about being picked up by police or breaking the law will carry their guns unloaded. This also protects them from shooting the damn thing when they don't intend to.

The Arenas answer ....

As we have reached the end of March, the update:

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas was spared a jail term Friday for his gun-toting confrontation with a teammate at Verizon Center, walking free from D.C. Superior Court after a judge scolded him for immaturity but said probation was more appropriate than time behind bars.

Calling Arenas's now-infamous angry encounter with reserve guard Javaris Crittenton "a stupid and immature act," Judge Robert E. Morin recited a list of other factors in the case, finding that nearly all weighed in Arenas's favor. Rather than send him to jail for three months, as a prosecutor wanted, Morin imposed an 18-month suspended sentence and ordered Arenas to serve two years of probation, starting with a month in a halfway house, probably beginning next week.

The three-time NBA all-star, who must give $5,000 to a fund for crime victims, will be required to spend his nights in the halfway house but can leave daily to perform the 400 hours of community service (none of it basketball-related) that Morin also ordered.

(Duggan)

Barring a wrenching plot twist, that would seem to be the answer to the Arenas question.

Notes:

Dugan, Paul. "Wizards star Gilbert Arenas avoids jail time in gun incident". The Washington Post. March 27, 2010. WashingtonPost.com. March 27, 2010. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/26/AR2010032603887.html

Back