Two Incidents - What'd ya' Think?

Baron Max

Registered Senior Member
Sister accidentally runs over, kills brother

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - Police say a teenage girl accidentally ran over and killed her 17-year-old brother as the two played around in an Arizona shopping mall parking lot.

Mesa Police spokesman Ed Wessing says the sister had dropped off her brother at Superstition Springs Mall Saturday evening. And then they started playing around, with the brother jumping in front of the car and the sister slamming on the brakes.

Tragically, the last time that happened the sister was unable to stop and ran over the brother.

He was rushed to a hospital in critical condition and later pronounced dead.

Names and the girl's exact age were not available.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Wizards player calls gun incident 'a mistake'

Washington (CNN) - Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas admits he drew guns in the team locker room in a highly publicized December 21 incident, but says he was only kidding around.
"I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate," Arenas said in a statement released Monday. "Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong."

...(snip)...

Authorities continue to investigate the incident.

...(snip)...

He offered a public apology to the league, his teammates and his fans, saying, "I promise to do better in the future."

Copyright 2009 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.

Well, golly. Two strange incidents, huh? One involving a 2,000# machine and killing someone. The other involved a major league Basketball player and joking around with an unloaded gun.

Which one do y'all think will result it some form of legal punishment? I'm bettin' on the gun. Playing with a gun, even if it causes no death, is going to be viewed as a nasty deed. Playing around with a 2,000# car and killing someone will be called an accident and nothing will be done to girl driver.

What do y'all think?

Baron Max

well, obviously none of them took the required safety classes.

And I don't believe it was unloaded

both however the ONLY mitogating cirumstance for the first one was that he was jumping in front of the car. Your post doesnt say how close he was to the car or what speed she was doing and these do make a difference (one guy i knew had a person step directly infront of his car and there was nothing he could do, he couldnt even react until AFTER he was over the person)

I think you lack empathy, ....

You've known that for umpty-eleven years since I first joined this shithole called sciforums! Now.....

Which one of the people in the OP do you think will be punished for their "incident"?

Baron Max

The girl is already being punished.

In what way is she being punished? And, more importantly, how do you know that?

Or are you talking about the "empathy bullshit" thingie? How do you know that she didn't really hate her brother and this was just a way of killing him. And now she's just playacting at crying and being distraught ...when she's really a happy little killer? How do you know anything about this?

Baron Max

Because you don't play around with a brother you hate.

How do you know she was playing? She might have been really trying to kill him, and trying to make it look like an accident.

Okay, we've talked about this girl and her brother, what about the basketball player playing around with the gun in the locker room? James? You didn't say anything about him, why? Is there some reason you don't want to comment on that incident?

Baron Max

(Insert Title Here)

Baron Max said:

Which one do y'all think will result it some form of legal punishment? I'm bettin' on the gun. Playing with a gun, even if it causes no death, is going to be viewed as a nasty deed. Playing around with a 2,000# car and killing someone will be called an accident and nothing will be done to girl driver.

What do y'all think?

You're forgetting the difference between the average stupid citizen and a professional basketball player. One can afford a much better lawyer.

The girl should be charged according to the applicable statutes—probably manslaughter—and either try to plead down to reckless endangerment or take her chances on a jury. Arenas? If the guns are legally his, the only thing that should happen is that he should be thrown off the team. And the league should launch an investigation into player gambling habits, as this incident apparently stemmed from an unpaid gambling debt.

The girl with the car faces the highest chances, in my opinion, of legal punishment. Even as far as administrative action goes for Gilbert Arenas, he's a tremendous asset to the team, and the last thing the NBA wants to do is start suspending its superstars, so it's not impossible to imagine that this incident will fade away to be recalled by sports fans over a beer in future years.

People carry unloaded weapons quite a bit.

They do? Who? Doreen, an unloaded weapon (handgun) is nothing but a heavy chunk of metal without ammo. Who would carry a heavy chunk of metal around with them? No one that I know!

Baron Max

You're forgetting the difference between the average stupid citizen and a professional basketball player. One can afford a much better lawyer.

No, I thought of that, but didn't want influence anyone's comments.

The girl should be charged according to the applicable statutes—probably manslaughter—and either try to plead down to reckless endangerment or take her chances on a jury. Arenas? If the guns are legally his, the only thing that should happen is that he should be thrown off the team. And the league should launch an investigation into player gambling habits, as this incident apparently stemmed from an unpaid gambling debt.

The girl with the car faces the highest chances, in my opinion, of legal punishment. Even as far as administrative action goes for Gilbert Arenas, he's a tremendous asset to the team, and the last thing the NBA wants to do is start suspending its superstars, so it's not impossible to imagine that this incident will fade away to be recalled by sports fans over a beer in future years.

Tiassa, I pretty much agree with what you say .....except for one thing ...the gun! You, of all people, should know that when you throw a "gun" into the mix, the crazies come out of the woodwork from both sides of the issue. Unloaded or not, even if there was no ammo in the entire facility, to many, a gun is the most horrid thing on Earth. I don't think they'll be able to sweep this one under the table. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Baron Max

Crazies v. Institutions

Baron Max said:

No, I thought of that, but didn't want influence anyone's comments.

Fair enough.

Tiassa, I pretty much agree with what you say .....except for one thing ...the gun! You, of all people, should know that when you throw a "gun" into the mix, the crazies come out of the woodwork from both sides of the issue. Unloaded or not, even if there was no ammo in the entire facility, to many, a gun is the most horrid thing on Earth. I don't think they'll be able to sweep this one under the table. Maybe, but I doubt it.

As far as prosecution is concerned, it ain't gonna happen. And if it somehow does? I can't imagine the victim in this case being particularly cooperative. Not that he will be hostile. But his recollection will be fuzzy, and it won't be, in retrospect, that big a deal to him. There are implications relating to the individuals, to the team, and to the league, and all of them have reasons to put this episode behind them as quickly and quietly as possible.

Maybe a month, during the off-season, in outpatient gambling rehab? The law is going to hit a brick wall in this one. And the league will only respond substantially if it is sufficiently embarrassed.

How do you know she was playing?

I don't. Now, about that wager I mentioned...

Okay, we've talked about this girl and her brother, what about the basketball player playing around with the gun in the locker room? James? You didn't say anything about him, why?

Yes I did.

Do you have some questions for me?

Why would you assume they were loaded?

Because so many people get shot with 'unloaded' weapons.
That and the fact that the person who's got the gun pointing at them doesn't know either way. Can be quite distressing ( I know, I've been there).

Back