two hard questions for theists.

1-how do you know it's your god that's true?
2-if you were born and raised in a different country with a majority of a different religion, would you still be believing in your same god?

i especially want to hear answers from SAM, 786, kira, challenger, sandy, LG, nasor, doreen, jan, adstar, and all other theists on board.

im not a theist, so some may not like my answer... but understand that im not like most others like me, i dont hate religion, i think its good, and the only thing that holds our world together... but...

For question 1: There is no answer to that, you can neither prove nor disprove any theory pertaining to God, whether it comes from yourself or someone else. You have to make your own asumptions based upon how you view yourself and your life.

For question 2: The answer is faith... you choose what to believe because you believe it.

your questions are the same as asking a guy, "if you were born a girl, would you still want to be a guy?"
the guy cant answer that because he isnt a girl, and wont ever be born as one.. he is as he is because thats the way it is

But, I'm sure that Sandy's interpretation of ``God's will'' is pretty different from yours.

I don't know what sandy has to say about God's will-

Or, another example, you dismiss the Trinity out of hand, basically calling it polytheism. (The exact Christian understanding is a bit more nuanced than that, but of course you're entitled to your opinions.)

I provided reasons for not accepting it- I don't believe the Christian foundation had anything to do with the Trinity. If her God is the the one taught by Christ- then I believe in the same God.

Also I would like to point out that she did not say why Trinity is 'correct'- I tried to show why I believe in a monotheist God- irrespective of my religion unlike the others- I believe that is a drastically DIFFERENT PROCESS, not 'similar process' as you were asserting.

Do you disagree that your understanding of God is different from, say, Sandy's?

Probably.. but then again we didn't use the same process to this conclusion- my approach was not religion dependent, her's is. Secondly even I do take Christianity I would not believe in the Trinity-

So the conclusions may be different but its because the process is different. If I analyze the bible I don't see trinity period.

Peace be unto you ;)

Don't you all find it a little odd that you all know that you're right, even though you used more or less the same process to arrive at drastically different decisions?
1) perhaps the decisions are the best choices for those involved. Perhaps they are different ways of achieving the same thing. 2) perhaps some people have more skill than others. 3) I truly doubt people used the same processes.

1) perhaps the decisions are the best choices for those involved. Perhaps they are different ways of achieving the same thing.

This is my opinion, but it is surely not the universal opinion of people who come to such conclusions.

2) perhaps some people have more skill than others.

But billions of people through history with knowledge of three major religions? Ok, so maybe not billions... There are Jews which have turned to Christianity, Christians to Islam, and Muslims to Christians (...) If there were some truth to what you say, all the smart people would be Hindi (for example), and it would not be a function of where you live.

As it turns out, if you consider the most intelligent people (by IQ, say), they tend to be atheists. So what does that say about religious people?

3) I truly doubt people used the same processes.

Sure they did. They have innate feelings one way or the other, based on cultural biases. Based on these biases, they have followed their nose to the correct answers. Cultural biases are impossible to remove when making decisions like this, regardless of how people may fool themselves into believing that they've done it.

This is a case of knowing the answer and working backwards, no matter how you justify it.

II provided reasons for not accepting it- I don't believe the Christian foundation had anything to do with the Trinity. If her God is the the one taught by Christ- then I believe in the same God.

Ahh but surely as a good Muslim you believe in Divine Revelation :)

Also I would like to point out that she did not say why Trinity is 'correct'- I tried to show why I believe in a monotheist God- irrespective of my religion unlike the others- I believe that is a drastically DIFFERENT PROCESS, not 'similar process' as you were asserting.

But your conclusions, as you admit, are not based on logic. They are full of ``I do not feel'' and ``I do not believe''. That's ok, but you should admit that your beliefs are just that, your beliefs. Sandy followed her nose as well, and came to a different conclusion.

So the conclusions may be different but its because the process is different. If I analyze the bible I don't see trinity period.

Peace be unto you ;)

Sure, I'll grant that the Bible never mentions a trinity, but the Divinity of Christ is pretty clear in several places in the Gospels. Jesus speaks regularly of ``my Father'', and the Holy Spirit shows up a few places in the New Testament. This triune God is considered a holy mystery.

I'm sure that Islam is not without it's holy mysteries, too.

I'd rather speak in general terms, than talking about specific dogmatic beliefs---such a discussion doesn't make much sense, as ``Christianity'' is a broad religion, and only really requires that you believe that Jesus died for your sins. Everything else is really just bells and whistles. If you'd rather limit the discussion to specific facets of specific belief systems, I really don't think I can say much.

This is my opinion, but it is surely not the universal opinion of people who come to such conclusions.
This is true. But then millions of people voted for ____________(fill in whichever President makes my point best for you).

But billions of people through history with knowledge of three major religions? Ok, so maybe not billions... There are Jews which have turned to Christianity, Christians to Islam, and Muslims to Christians (...) If there were some truth to what you say, all the smart people would be Hindi (for example), and it would not be a function of where you live.
Well, for Hindis they could argue that where they were born had to do with what they had learning in past lives - but that's just me being playful. The skillful ones might be the ones who get through cultural and other distortions and reach God through their religions. Also one does not have to be totally right, to be making the correct choice for oneself. And 'knowing' may be part of good practice. Like follow through in golf, or a positive attitude in learning all sorts of things. It may be idiotic to go out and be confident one will be a great actor from day one, but this actually seem to work for some people.
As it turns out, if you consider the most intelligent people (by IQ, say), they tend to be atheists. So what does that say about religious people?
Well, now we'd need to shift over to the threads critiquing IQ. I mean look at an IQ test. What is it testing? Is this the limits of intelligence? I would also guess that those who call themselves atheists have tended to have more education than those who are, for all practical purposes atheists, but tick the box Christian or whatever out of habit or not really focusing on the issue.

But anyway I used the word 'skill' not intelligence.

Sure they did. They have innate feelings one way or the other, based on cultural biases. Based on these biases, they have followed their nose to the correct answers. Cultural biases are impossible to remove when making decisions like this, regardless of how people may fool themselves into believing that they've done it.
Let's say I agree. This would then match the processes atheists use to come to political positions, for example, positions that affect the real world and other people's lives.

But, again, I still disagree. I think people vary in the way they confirm and deny the way text fits with their experience, the way they check authority, the actual practices they engage in and how they check these in relation to scripture, if they are converts or not, how they deal with anomalies and potential counterexamples, and so on.

This is a case of knowing the answer and working backwards, no matter how you justify it.
Well, not in my case. For me it has been exploratory all along.

And how many people who believe in evolution do you think really understand it - NOTE!!!! I believe in evolutionary theory. - Most people who believe have picked up in school and on some level it made sense to them - as did other scientific theories - and perhaps for brief period they could have made somewhat of a case for the theory, but probably not very good ones. I learned about evolution in both high school and college, and at the high school level one is receiving facts, not learning evolutionary theory. Those who keep the theory tend to be those who have families and friends who respect the theory. Note again: this is not an argument against the theory. What I am pointing out is there are those who receive ideas and do not know how to take them apart and who do not have a strong experiential component in their understanding in both groups: the religious and those who believe in evolution.

Hell, even at the college level a good number of the people who took some science as part of their degrees, learned evolutionary theory in fragments and fed these back on exams. They had very little critical interaction with the ideas, no field experience, no real sense of why it is not merely a hypothesis but is rather a full blown theory and could not even then have done remotely well against a clever Creationist in a debate - again, note, I am not a Creationist. And a year later, they'd forgotten all but a haze of ideas.

We should be careful judging an idea on how many followers arrive at it or understand it.

Last edited:
This is true. But then millions of people voted for ____________(fill in whichever President makes my point best for you).

I don't understand what you're saying here. I guess your point is that people use the same thought process (i.e., what's best for me and my country) to arrive at diverging opinions of who should lead the nation. If this is the case, then perhaps you misunderstood what I'm saying.

The point is that people use whatever internal compass they have to guide their decisions. 786, for example, equates the Trinity with polytheism (which is not right, but is his opinion). Because he sees the Christians as polytheists, and because he doesn't ``see'' polytheism in Nature, he is led to the conclusion that Christianity is wrong, or at least not for him. That's fine, but him following his internal compass has led him somewhere completely different that Sandy, who was following her internal compass.

My original point in entering this thread was not to nitpick about specific dogma, or to defend my own faith, but rather to point to the fact that we all have internal compasses. Those compasses are inherently biased by where we're born, the events that happen to us (how many children who have been sexually abused by a Catholic priest turn into Catholics as adults?), the people around us, and events which we have little control over.

So when I said that everyone used the same process to come to drastically different conclusions, I meant it in terms of this internal compass. Such conclusions are illogical by their very nature---which is ok, lacking some objective facts in the matter---and are deeply biased, again, by their nature.

In light of this, I don't really understand your comments on my post, so perhaps, let me clarify my position.

Lacking any scientific evidence one way or the other, in questions of faith, all answers are more or less equal. As it is impossible to be objective in such assessments, all conclusions are a priori subjective. The process of establishing subjective criteria, and then following that path to an ``answer'' is the same for everybody, whether it be you, or Sandy, or SAM, or 786. While your criteria are all different, as they should be, the process of elimination is the same. Because your (or SAM's or Sandy's, or ... ) criteria were all subjective,

I really have nothing much to say about your comments, other than what I've already said, but I do want to address this:

We should be careful judging an idea on how many followers arrive at it or understand it.

The merits of an idea are judged first with objective criteria, and second with subjective criteria. Your comments apply to religion, but certainly not to Evolution, which may or may not have been implied.

im sorry you feel that way.. you say you would be useless/nothing without him i really do feel sorry for you. living your life to serve a fiction character, and with out this fiction character your nothing? if you look at it in lamans terms you should be in a psychiatric ward for terms of possible suicide.

Sorry, why? I have joy unspeakable. I have awesome peace and love. My life is a 10. Yes, I would be nothing without Him. You can have all the education, money, power, fame etc and still be miserable. My belief is that He creates us all with a God/Jesus-shaped hole in our souls that only He can fill. We can try food, drugs, smokes, booze, relationships, kids, family etc and nothing, absolutely nothing, fills that hole. Fortunately I learned this at a very early age. No, my life is not perfect but it is thisclose.
What is "lamans" terms?:confused:
I would NEVER consider suicide. Not ever. I am WAY too valuable to Him and have a purpose which is not yet fulfilled.

Ahh but surely as a good Muslim you believe in Divine Revelation :)

Yes I do, but if you did not notice my conclusion was not based upon my book.

But your conclusions, as you admit, are not based on logic.

Let me know when I said that.

They are full of ``I do not feel'' and ``I do not believe''.

That is just word convention. I don't see polytheism in the world- obviously I will say 'i believe' that does not mean that its not based on logic.

That's ok, but you should admit that your beliefs are just that, your beliefs.

When did I say that it is not a 'belief'? Science is also a belief.

Sandy followed her nose as well, and came to a different conclusion.

Her conclusion was based upon her Christian self and religion and her 'feelings' that God did things in her- while mine is not. The process is quite different.

but the Divinity of Christ is pretty clear in several places in the Gospels. Jesus speaks regularly of ``my Father'', and the Holy Spirit shows up a few places in the New Testament.

So Jesus says 'my Father' means he's God? This is a laughable answer. Jesus also said to his people that THEIR Father was in heaven- seems like 'my Father' is a convention to refer to God as all Jews according to OT are the 'children of God'.

Just because 'Holy Spirit' shows up in the NT doesn't make him God.... Even a beggar shows up in NT, Satan also shows up.... Please don't make me laugh with this 'defense' if it can be even called that.

I'd rather speak in general terms, than talking about specific dogmatic beliefs

I only spoke about the Trinity as it is directly related to the concept of God.

If you'd rather limit the discussion to specific facets of specific belief systems, I really don't think I can say much.

There is no reason to discuss 'religion' in this thread- my own response was irrespective of my religious convictions. But addressing the Trinity is directed related to the question of God.

Peace be unto you ;)

Don't you all find it a little odd that you all know that you're right, even though you used more or less the same process to arrive at drastically different decisions?

No. God leads those whom He wills to lead to eternal life. And those who hate the love of the truth, He lets them go down the dead end path to deception.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I don't understand what you're saying here. I guess your point is that people use the same thought process (i.e., what's best for me and my country) to arrive at diverging opinions of who should lead the nation.
That they feel their way to their political stances and that these political stances have an impact on the lives of other people. IOW much of the criticism of theists in this forum, for example, could be aimed at most of the posters in the Politics, World Events, etc. forums. But they tend not to be.

The point is that people use whatever internal compass they have to guide their decisions. 786, for example, equates the Trinity with polytheism (which is not right, but is his opinion). Because he sees the Christians as polytheists, and because he doesn't ``see'' polytheism in Nature, he is led to the conclusion that Christianity is wrong, or at least not for him. That's fine, but him following his internal compass has led him somewhere completely different that Sandy, who was following her internal compass.
As Dem and Republicans are led, for example.

My original point in entering this thread was not to nitpick about specific dogma, or to defend my own faith, but rather to point to the fact that we all have internal compasses. Those compasses are inherently biased by where we're born, the events that happen to us (how many children who have been sexually abused by a Catholic priest turn into Catholics as adults?), the people around us, and events which we have little control over.

So when I said that everyone used the same process to come to drastically different conclusions, I meant it in terms of this internal compass. Such conclusions are illogical by their very nature---which is ok, lacking some objective facts in the matter---and are deeply biased, again, by their nature.
Which would include decisions not to accept as real certain experiences and to cut them off and analyze them - often barely in consciousness - and make them unreal. to explain away them.

Lacking any scientific evidence one way or the other, in questions of faith, all answers are more or less equal.
the term 'faith' is used too often. Many people base their religious beliefs on their experiences and what works for them. (just like everyone else)-.

As it is impossible to be objective in such assessments, all conclusions are a priori subjective. The process of establishing subjective criteria, and then following that path to an ``answer'' is the same for everybody, whether it be you, or Sandy, or SAM, or 786. While your criteria are all different, as they should be, the process of elimination is the same. Because your (or SAM's or Sandy's, or ... ) criteria were all subjective,
Not necessarily. A group of poker players will have members who are incredibly skilled at reading opponents and others who cannot. The former may not even know how they do it, they may even pick up cues in their periperhal vision below conscious awareness. They are, however, in many instances objective. They are going on feel, because feelings often are the best way to arrive at conclusions when extremely large amounts of data are being thrown at us. Some people are terrible at this. Some are experts. Some are idiot savants, with strong skills in one area.

You cannot simply throw all of this out as merely subjective.

I understand why you as a non-experiencers or not having whatever skills in question are, be they poker skills or reading a defensive line in football or the ability to read the sea for coming weather - need not believe what others feel their way towards. But they may be right on the money.

Also you are taking Sandy, 786 etc. as contradicting each other. They may have found the best metaphors to arrive at a relationship that in the end is very similar. They may also be making the mistake that only their metaphors, for God in this case, are the correct ones. But that may be their only mistake.

The merits of an idea are judged first with objective criteria, and second with subjective criteria. Your comments apply to religion, but certainly not to Evolution, which may or may not have been implied.
But most of life must be judged on subjective criteria. We cannot go out and do all the empirical researsh ourselves. So we each develop intuitive methods - primarily - for which experts we trust and to what degrees and on what topics. We also make intuitive judgments about how much current interpretations of data, whether scientific or religious or whatever is being distorted by history and culture. From there we have vast areas of experience that there is no objective consensus on or no good ways of testing via scientific methodology (at present or perhaps ever) and here we must use the skills we have. And from there check in from time to time to see how well the beliefs formed are working.

Less beliefs is not necessarily better, even if that more beliefs includes beliefs that are not, currently, scientifically validated. Though this seems to be the underlying assumption of most rationalists and scientists, DESPITE the fact that they engage in politics and other areas of life where they must and do trust feeling their way towards things.

60 years ago, say, before we had cheap video and a decent amount of scientific research that could verify what great poker players were probably keying into, it would have been dead wrong to tell all pokers players not to trust their intuitions. For many players this admonition would have been a good one. They were fish who could not read other players. But for some this blanket generalization was misguided.

Reminds me of the short story Harrison Bergeron in some way.

Since we don't know who has good intuition on this issue, it is best to say no one has it.

Nah.

And then for some, they may have good insight into who they can trust - iow experts who will connect them to beliefs that will work for them - even though they have poor intuition when it comes to directly experiencing something religious or spiritual.

2-if you were born and raised in a different country with a majority of a different religion, would you still be believing in your same god?

i especially want to hear answers from SAM, 786, kira, challenger, sandy, LG, nasor, doreen, jan, adstar, and all other theists on board.

1 - Because I believe in One God.
2 - Yep, I don't have the same beliefs that I was raised into.

scifes,

Are you talking about "god" as in gods, or God, as in one God?

Need clarification of first question.

jan.

This is hard to explain. It is innate with me. It is something I have known since I can remember being conscious/alive. He is such a part of me that I live my live to serve Him. I talk to Him all day even if just in my head. No matter where I was born or lived I would still be His. Life would be useless/ nothing without Him. Absolutely nothing.

So basically you took what you were told to believe and never questioned it.

Sorry, why? I have joy unspeakable. I have awesome peace and love. My life is a 10. Yes, I would be nothing without Him. You can have all the education, money, power, fame etc and still be miserable. My belief is that He creates us all with a God/Jesus-shaped hole in our souls that only He can fill. We can try food, drugs, smokes, booze, relationships, kids, family etc and nothing, absolutely nothing, fills that hole. Fortunately I learned this at a very early age. No, my life is not perfect but it is thisclose.
What is "lamans" terms?:confused:
I would NEVER consider suicide. Not ever. I am WAY too valuable to Him and have a purpose which is not yet fulfilled.

So your family is nothing? you could easily deal with out your family?

I don't. I feel that He is, and I have reason to do so. Still, I feel he's largely misinterpreted even by His followers.

I should think so. My father was a staunch and vicious anti-theist, and I still felt my reasons were strong enough to do so. He wasn't too happy about it, and he made his displeasure known, so it was a hostile enough environment.

Back