Trepanation

skaught

The field its covered in blood
Valued Senior Member
I just saw a mini documentary on trepanation. I remember years ago hearing about this procedure. The theory is that by drilling a hole in the cranium, one increases the blood flow to the brain which results in higher consciousness, relief of depression, migraine, chronic fatigue, among many other ailments. Is there any evidence that increased blood flow to the brain has any medical benefits? Could increased blood flow to the brain ever be a bad thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanation

Did you read your own link? It is not used by modern medicine for treatment of "higher consciousness, relief of depression, migraine, chronic fatigue". It is predominantly an emergency medicine procedure only.

From your link….

Trepanation is a widely accepted treatment for epidural and subdural hematomas, and for surgical access for certain other neurosurgical procedures, such as intracranial pressure monitoring. Modern surgeons generally use the term craniotomy for this procedure. In almost all cases, the removed piece of skull is replaced as soon as possible. If the bone is not replaced, then the procedure is considered a craniectomy.

Although considered today to be pseudoscience, the practice of trepanation for other purported medical benefits continues. The most prominent explanation for these benefits is offered by Bart Huges (also known as Hughes), sometimes referred to as "Dr. Bart Hughes" even though he did not complete his medical degree. :rolleyes: Hughes claims that trepanation increases "brain blood volume" and thereby enhances cerebral metabolism in a manner similar to cerebral vasodilators such as gingko biloba. No published results of clinical trials of trepanation have supported these claims.

Did you read your own link? It is not used by modern medicine for treatment of "higher consciousness, relief of depression, migraine, chronic fatigue". It is predominantly an emergency medicine procedure only.

From your link….

I was talking about what they said on the documentary I saw, which said that it is practiced by some people to expand consciousness. These same practitioners also claim that if it was accepted by the medical community, it would lead to things like relief from depression, migraines, chronic fatigue etc. My question is: Is there any medical backing for these claims?

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.:rolleyes:

Well, as the wikipedia article said.....

Yeah ok, but this is a FORUM!!! This is where people get together and discuss things, so lets discuss trepanation. I want to know peoples thoughts on it. I want to know if anyone here believes in it, i want to know if anyone here thinks it is bunk.

Jesus christ man...

Forget about it...

The theory is that by drilling a hole in the cranium, one increases the blood flow to the brain which results in higher consciousness, relief of depression, migraine, chronic fatigue, among many other ailments. Is there any evidence that increased blood flow to the brain has any medical benefits? Could increased blood flow to the brain ever be a bad thing
Don't ever read without thinking: doesn't a hole in the head result in blood loss?
Drill a hole through a coconut, what happens?

Doctors perform 'trepanations' all the time, primarily to bleed out subcranial hematomas (blood pooled in the brain). In other words, more blood than there should be is not good.
If anything, a significant increase of blood to the brain can be lethal as it raises intra cranial pressure which damages the cortex.

Look at that sexy increased consciousness:

hahavj2.jpg

Secondly, if the premise is that a hole in one's skull leads to higher conciousness as it increases blood flow, then why don't babies and children read Shakepeare and quote Buddha? All infants have not only one, but four, holes in their skull called fontanelles until about the age of 2 or so.

Thirdly, we can see what looks like coffe grounds matted near the bandages
amandafiledingmp8.jpg

-- this is the gorgeous dark of coagulation.
In other words, the body is desperately trying to scab the hole closed while the woman is desperately trying to keep it open.
And, adding insult to nonsense, how exactly is she increasing 'direct cerabral oxygen' if she is keeping the thing covered with bandages?

Fourthly- define consciousness: an alert cognitive state in which one is aware of onself and location, the abilty to manipulate one's enviroment and define relationships beween objects.

More of this means more awareness.

A child, with more holes in the brain, should have more of this awareness yet any daycare will prove that's not right.
To wit, according to this theory, this guy
carpioin0.jpg

...should now be an epistemelog more aware of the universe than he would be the pain of his skull literally bloated with blood.

Fifthly- a hole in the head means blood loss and this means less oxygen. This is presicely what happens to pilots when flying at high altitudes- they become hypoxic and faint, in other words, lose consciousness, while this little theory claims you'd be gaining some.

And last but not least, this idea was proposed by a man who tried every drug on the street before conceptualizing the genius of supposing a container with a hole in it doesn't leak.
And in what mysteriuos moment of intellectual profundity did this junkie come up with the idea that a hemorrhage increases blood volume?

What led Dr. Huges to believe that trepanation would lead to enlightenment? His first insight came when he was taught that he could get high by standing on his head
Source

Mwaha....

Thank you Gendanken, and Invert!!!

See Hercules, this is how a FORUM works.

Thank you Gendanken, and Invert!!!

See Hercules, this is how a FORUM works.
Then tell us in the FORUM what YOU think.

Am I right or right? (say it)

Speaking of trepanation, here's an accidental trepanation due to chronic itch.
How?

Scratch, scratch, scratch.

Thoughts of "I really shouldn't keep doing this. I'm really damaging my skin" changing one bright sunny day into "Holy Shit! Is that my brain?"

Then tell us in the FORUM what YOU think.

Am I right or right? (say it)

How?

You are absolutely right!

I think if we were meant to have holes in our skulls, then they wouldn't close up after infancy. However, the theory goes: that it isn't easy for our bodies to maintain a good balance of pressure in our skulls. It says that under-oxygenated blood can build up in our heads and not drain easily. The theory also says that drilling a hole in our head makes it easier for our body to regulate the amount of pressure being exerted on our brains, and helps the under oxygenated blood to drain out quicker, bringing fresh oxygenated blood to our brains.

I guess it makes sense to me that under-oxygenated blood probably wouldn't be conducive to optimal brain functioning. And it makes sense to me that delivering fresh oxygenated blood to the brain could result in higher functioning.

But then again, if we were meant to have holes in our heads, then they probably wouldn't close up after infancy :shrug:

How, exactly, do holes in the skull oxygenate blood?

And, don't you think that the blood-brain barrier is important?

How, exactly, do holes in the skull oxygenate blood?

And, don't you think that the blood-brain barrier is important?

The holes themselves don't oxygenate the blood. They allow for the under-oxygenated blood to flow out quicker and easier, and the oxygenated blood to flow in easier.

Can you explain what the blood-brain barrier is?

They allow for the under-oxygenated blood to flow out quicker and easier, and the oxygenated blood to flow in easier.

How?

Can you explain what the blood-brain barrier is?

Neurons in the brain are not fed directly by blood, rather glial cells act as a intermediary between the blood and the brain. Sort of an intracranial relay race.

It seems to me that holes in the skull would cause all sorts of nasty garbage to infiltrate the brain which wouldn't be a good thing.

Precicely.

Oxygen does not fly around in the blood, so to speak, willy nill. It is always attached to a hemoglobin molecule and carried to the tissues.

Only arthropods are albe to transfuse oxygen directly from the air and into their cells and tissues via little tubes called spiracles.
We need a pulmonary and cardiovascular system for this.

You will not gain one scintilla of oxygen in your blood by exposing it to air.

Odd silence.

Soooo....... Looks like we're left here with Skaught's little thread at our complete disposal.

Back