Tough Moral Question

epiman

Banned
Banned
If you had a free chance to kill Hitler before he was ellected Chancellor of Germany and killed 20 million people what would you do?

what would be the point?
he was a product of the enviroment and someone else would have just sprung up insted

what would be the point?
he was a product of the enviroment and someone else would have just sprung up insted

you can't be too sure about that.

Well, I would, as long as I can be ensured it will not alter the future.

If I lived at hitlers time, and had a chance to kill him, most definitely.

The problem is that if you lived back then you wouldn't realize what Hitler was going to do after he became Germanys leader so I really don't think anyone then could have done anything to a man they had no idea as to what he was going to do in the future. Now if you are asking me if time travel is possible to go back to that time I'd say no we cannot return to those times. But what if we did and another person was elected who did even more things wrong than Hitler did, would that be a good thing to do?:shrug:

Nope.

The world could be much worse today because of it.

what if someone was elected who would have WON the war, if you killed hitler who after all was a milltary moron and someone better took his place what then?????

Can't execute for a crime that has not been committed.

I agree. Besides the world could have gone worse without him. We do not know that. Maybe Russia would now border Spain.
Or we would now live in a world without an awareness of the dangers of nazism, and with todays weapons it could be more fatal

...was a milltary moron

I think Hitler was anything but a moron.

In fact, I'd have to conclude that Hitler was inevitable. The country was suffering under massive depression, the aftermath of the Treaty of Versailles and the unfamiliarity of the German people with democracy. They were so used to living under a Kaiser that the voting system was unrefined, and the people were more eager to rally under a strong and radical leader.
Do you think Adolf Hitler was the only far-right political figure vying for power at the time? Killing him would have made no difference.

I agree. Besides the world could have gone worse without him. We do not know that. Maybe Russia would now border Spain.
Or we would now live in a world without an awareness of the dangers of nazism, and with todays weapons it could be more fatal

I didn't say it right. Can't even put someone on trial for a crime that has not been committed.

The sentiment towards Jews was pretty much the same all over Europe and U.S. I cannot stress this enough: WWII was not fought to liberate Jews; liberation of Jews was another point hyped up by the media to get the general populations to support resistance against Hitler. The Allies were fighting primarily for their own independence. That's why boats full of Jewish refugees were turned away.

Some kind of necessary

There were so many ways to handle Hitler after he came to power that might have mitigated his impact that it seems problematic, at least, to countenance preemptive assassination.

World War II, with all its horrors, was in certain ways an inevitability. Although the pledge of "Never again" has long since fallen away—massive atrocities, brinkmanship in the Cold War, and the unwritten future stemming from the War on Terror—humanity has witnessed and endured a terrifying countenance of evil. The numbers were bad enough as it was; I shudder to think what they would be in other contexts.

The Hitler legacy is unfortunate, but representative of a lesson necessary for the success of the human endeavor. If only we would take the time to actually learn it.

Back