To Saquist..

the people who Adam passed the Genesis account to would have had a limmited scope. Far more limited than our own.

And yet we know that these poor old limited fools knew what the word 'day' meant because they used it correctly every other time in the very same writing.

These same limited fools even showed that they recognised what a day was. On the first day god separates dark and light - evening came and morning came.. thats day 1 done. Funnily enough the rest of the days follow this trend - that a new day starts with morning.

You have no case to say 'day doesn't mean day because these people were limited in understanding'.

However we do know that it was meant for ease of understanding.

Oh I see, you use a word that means something entirely different to what you're trying to say and that's for "ease of understanding". Ok Saquist, ok.

As a result the literal number of days actually elapsed is unknown

Incorrect. Count the number of times the sun rises. Unless of course it took a thousand years for each sunrise back in the day?

Genesis immediately after creation states that these events chronicle the day God created the Earth. So we do know that the bible is not stating 6 literal days.

Only thing I can see is 'Such was the story of heaven and earth as they were created'. How does that indicate the bible is not stating 6 days?

the question becomes is it a litteral period of time

The answer is yes - unless you claim that one rising of the sun to the next does not constitute a literal day.

The next question is there any sign that the days in questioin are not literal?

Not when they openly display their knowledge of a day - the rising of the sun to the next rising of the sun.

Paul (I believe) speaking of the 7th day of God's rest stated of the Great Sabbath that it was ongoing even now...

What it shows is that god continues to rest - because creation was completed - as explained in genesis. The sabbath is ongoing because the 7th day was made holy - which is why it is 'celebrated' every.... 7 days. No Saquist, the holy day is not 'celebrated' every 7,000 years.

And yet we know that these poor old limited fools knew what the word 'day' meant because they used it correctly every other time in the very same writing.

I do not regard them as fools.

These same limited fools even showed that they recognised what a day was. On the first day god separates dark and light - evening came and morning came.. thats day 1 done. Funnily enough the rest of the days follow this trend - that a new day starts with morning.

In the Genesis Account a day stands for a period of time. It is a common metaphor that repeats again and again in the bible.

In refrence to the Festival of booths...described as one in one verse when it is known to last serveral days.

You have no case to say 'day doesn't mean day because these people were limited in understanding'.

It is plain to see that there understanding of creation was limited. They would not have appreciated any microscopic life that that likely came to be before complex plant life...then again...who am I to say.

Oh I see, you use a word that means something entirely different to what you're trying to say and that's for "ease of understanding". Ok Saquist, ok.

It is not uncommon even today.

Incorrect. Count the number of times the sun rises. Unless of course it took a thousand years for each sunrise back in the day?

If you wish to take the Genesis account litteraly...so be it.
I find sufficient grounds in the scriptures to find the "day" refrence in the Genesis Account as NOT Litteral.

Only thing I can see is 'Such was the story of heaven and earth as they were created'. How does that indicate the bible is not stating 6 days?
which part did you not understand.

The answer is yes - unless you claim that one rising of the sun to the next does not constitute a literal day.

As the Hebrews associated a day...from one sunset to the next.
In this case it is quite figurative as I've illistrated.

Not when they openly display their knowledge of a day - the rising of the sun to the next rising of the sun.

As a reasonable person it's apparent that the days are not litteral.

What it shows is that god continues to rest - because creation was completed - as explained in genesis. The sabbath is ongoing because the 7th day was made holy - which is why it is 'celebrated' every.... 7 days. No Saquist, the holy day is not 'celebrated' every 7,000 years.

Hense why it was called the Sabbath of God or the Great Sabbath. No Snakelord the seventh day of the month is not the Great Sabbath. The Great Sabbath is the seventh day of creation.

I've been asking several Bible scholars the following question, so don't take it as me picking on just you: What makes your interpretation the correct one?

I try not to interpret the Bible but I understand your meaning.
The correct understanding of the scriptures will no cause contradiction with other scriptures.

For example:
It is a common belief that the bible says good people go to heaven.

Reality: Not one scripture says ALL good people go to Heaven.

It is a common belief that the bible says bad people will burn in Hell.

Reality: The bible says Hell is merely mankinds common grave.
Reality: The place of burning torment is figurative ~Gehenna~ Lake of Fire and Sulfer~ They are symbolic of eternal death with no possibility of a return to life.

And the same is true of the Creative days...figurative. And once you've observed and research scripture that has been found to have figurative content it is easier to identify the same in other scriptures.

Snake lord said that the 6 days of creation were "imperfect" since 6 is the number for imperfection.

Is that scriptural understanding? No.
The bible gives every indication that God is incapable of imperfect acts.
Further Imperfection always refers to man....Just as 666 is a "man's number " not a heavenly number

Just as ten is a man's number for perfection and 7 is a heavenly number for perfection....but there is no number for God's imperfection because he has no imperfection.

I do not regard them as fools.

I couldn't be more pleased for you. It doesn't however detract from the point. You claimed they were "limited" when trying to explain that they couldn't accurately describe a day, I have shown otherwise.

In the Genesis Account a day stands for a period of time.

Indeed: The period between one sunrise and the next. You want to assert otherwise. You want to assert that in this one instance a 'day' actually means a millennium even though the same text describes that 'day' as being from one sunrise to the next. You have a lot of work to do.

It is a common metaphor that repeats again and again in the bible.

What's a common metaphor? The word day is used many times in the bible and signifies the period between one sunrise and the next. When it rained for 40 days, it rained for 40 days - not 40,000 years. Etc etc etc.

In refrence to the Festival of booths...described as one in one verse when it is known to last serveral days.

Provide a quote if you would be so kind.

It is plain to see that there understanding of creation was limited.

On your thread a while back I remember you asserting that these same people had it spot on, and you indeed went to great length to argue against anyone that stated otherwise. Now you provide an explanation that... "They would not have appreciated any microscopic life", and I will not disagree with you whatsoever. My only bone of contention is that we're not talking about microscopic life, we're talking about whether a day is a day or a millennium. It is abundantly clear that these people, while ignorant of microscopic lifeforms, damn well knew what a day was.

If you wish to take the Genesis account litteraly...so be it.

Hang about.. You assert that the word 'day' doesn't mean day at all, but something completely different to day - something in fact 365,000 days longer than a day and then say I'm taking the genesis account too literally? What kind of horse manure is that? If you make the assertion that a 'day' doesn't mean a day then you have to support it with something - that something being biblical text to which the minute you do, I can then turn around and say you're taking the bible too literally.

But wait, I shall not get ahead of myself. I will afford you the opportunity to support your claim. You have tried thus far with one unnamed, unsourced statement that a festival that lasted for several days was claimed as being one day. Forgive me, but even if this was the case, how it supports a claim that the genesis 'day' is actually a millennium is beyond me.

What your argument here does is descend the entire bible into absolute worthlessness. That bit where it says some guy named jesus was born.. pfft, you're taking it too literally. That bit where it says god created something.. pfft, you're taking it too literally. What exactly is left the minute you start playing such games?

I find sufficient grounds in the scriptures to find the "day" refrence in the Genesis Account as NOT Litteral.

You keep saying that but never support the claim. Oh and lest I forget, the only reason you would find grounds in scripture is because you're taking that scripture literally :bugeye:

Anyway, I look forward to some meat to join those potatoes.

which part did you not understand.

Which part of what? The only thing I don't understand right now is why you're not supporting your claim - instead just repeating the claim as if the more you say it the more true it will become. I find such beahviour quite off-putting.

You claim that a 'day' - written as being the period between sunrise and sunrise is not a 'day' but in fact a millennium. Nobody that I have ever met alive right now would assert such a thing. They would all indeed support the notion that a day is in fact a period lasting between sunrise and sunrise. Of course I can understand your confusion if you happen to live in a region where the sun has not risen in the past 1,000 years - and I don't blame you for that, but it is undeniably apparent that these people used the term 'day' to denote a period from one sunrise to the next.

As the Hebrews associated a day...from one sunset to the next.

And.. that is indeed a day - the same period of time, just from a different starting point. It does not in any way, shape or form indicate that a 'day' in this instance actually means 365,000 sunrises or sunsets.

As a reasonable person it's apparent that the days are not litteral.

You keep saying that. Wheres the meat? I'm not vegetarian. The amusing thing is that I provide detailed reason as to why a day constitutes a certain period of time, (one day to the next), thus showing that when they used the word 'day' they were in fact referring to the same period of time that we do today. You then have the audacity to claim that I am not reasonable while not having the integrity or decency to support your claim - thinking that your simple say so and insult to my character makes whatever you say valid. I find such attitude quite distasteful.

No Snakelord the seventh day of the month is not the Great Sabbath. The Great Sabbath is the seventh day of creation.

You start with "no Snakelord", as if seemingly implying that I stated that the sabbath or rest day is on the seventh of the month. Where did I say such a thing? I stated that the 'rest day' is celebrated every 7 days, because the 7th day was made holy because that's when gods work was completed. Now, if you assert that this is still the 7th day, and we know that the 7th day is holy.. then we shouldn't be doing anything.. ever. god tells mankind not to do any work etc on the sabbath - because that is the holy day. If that day is today and everyday then every single man ever to have lived has failed to understand god's words. And you call that "ease of understanding"? Do me a lemon.

Anytime you have something of substance to support your claims let me know.

Snake lord said that the 6 days of creation were "imperfect" since 6 is the number for imperfection.

Not really. You claimed that '6' was a sign of imperfection. I then asked you if that meant that creation was imperfect considering it took 6 days. You said no, thus contradicting your own earlier claim.

I couldn't be more pleased for you. It doesn't however detract from the point. You claimed they were "limited" when trying to explain that they couldn't accurately describe a day, I have shown otherwise.

Not at all infact.

Indeed: The period between one sunrise and the next. You want to assert otherwise. You want to assert that in this one instance a 'day' actually means a millennium even though the same text describes that 'day' as being from one sunrise to the next. You have a lot of work to do

You have the facts and there is much more. Feel free to believe whatever you wish.

What's a common metaphor? The word day is used many times in the bible and signifies the period between one sunrise and the next. When it rained for 40 days, it rained for 40 days - not 40,000 years. Etc etc etc.

Never saw anything state that it rained for 40,000 years. However I have proven to you that a "day" meaning is not regulated to a mere 24 hour period.

Provide a quote if you would be so kind.

I don't see how it would change your perspective there are many occasions in which a day was not actually a day. But You've rejected all these in order to focus specificly on 24 hours despite evidence to the contrary.

On your thread a while back I remember you asserting that these same people had it spot on, and you indeed went to great length to argue against anyone that stated otherwise. Now you provide an explanation that...

It's the same position ...nothing has change. Back then I made it evident that several scientist saw the Genesis account as the perfect way to describe creation to a simple pastoral people.

"They would not have appreciated any microscopic life", and I will not disagree with you whatsoever. My only bone of contention is that we're not talking about microscopic life, we're talking about whether a day is a day or a millennium. It is abundantly clear that these people, while ignorant of microscopic lifeforms, damn well knew what a day was.

The question is...the time which transpired for the Earth's formation likely would have been so long it would have lacked any significant meaning. Rather the Bible has presented the Earth construction in 6 periods of time which are regarded as days. And...at the end of the "day" or the completion of the project...all where allowed to rest.

Hang about.. You assert that the word 'day' doesn't mean day at all, but something completely different to day - something in fact 365,000 days longer than a day and then say I'm taking the genesis account too literally? What kind of horse manure is that? If you make the assertion that a 'day' doesn't mean a day then you have to support it with something - that something being biblical text to which the minute you do, I can then turn around and say you're taking the bible too literally.

A scritpural foundation is all that's necessary Snakelord. There is more than enough evidence to suggest that it was not litteral. But you can belive what ever you wish.

But wait, I shall not get ahead of myself. I will afford you the opportunity to support your claim. You have tried thus far with one unnamed, unsourced statement that a festival that lasted for several days was claimed as being one day. Forgive me, but even if this was the case, how it supports a claim that the genesis 'day' is actually a millennium is beyond me.

Yet again I must ask...to what end? I know this information but it's not likely to do anything to change your mind.

What your argument here does is descend the entire bible into absolute worthlessness. That bit where it says some guy named jesus was born.. pfft, you're taking it too literally. That bit where it says god created something.. pfft, you're taking it too literally. What exactly is left the minute you start playing such games?

Oh no, Snakelord let that be your arguement, not mine.

You keep saying that but never support the claim. Oh and lest I forget, the only reason you would find grounds in scripture is because you're taking that scripture literally :bugeye:

Thus far you've been completely dismissive of every bit of information I dispense. Challenge me, dare me...your position is quite clear. You intend to go absolutely nowhere with the information wish me to disclose. Hense I'm wasting my time. And you're incouraging me to do so.

Anyway, I look forward to some meat to join those potatoes.
Don't look to far forward. I'm sorry I can't satiate your desire deny the obvious allowance that the scriptures make for the Creative Days. I for one can't believe just because of the evidence that it is a litteral 6 days.

You wish to continue to belive as it was...
I...suspect...You don't wish to allow the scriptures to be correct in any capacity. That's unfortunant if it's true.

Which part of what? The only thing I don't understand right now is why you're not supporting your claim - instead just repeating the claim as if the more you say it the more true it will become. I find such beahviour quite off-putting.

Give me a good reaons why...my claim needs to be verified by you.

You claim that a 'day' - written as being the period between sunrise and sunrise is not a 'day' but in fact a millennium.

I never put any number on the creative days. Thus your statement is false.

Nobody that I have ever met alive right now would assert such a thing. They would all indeed support the notion that a day is in fact a period lasting between sunrise and sunrise.
Yes that would be litteral.
As I've explained...there is no reason to believe these are litteral days.

You keep saying that. Wheres the meat? I'm not vegetarian. The amusing thing is that I provide detailed reason as to why a day constitutes a certain period of time, (one day to the next), thus showing that when they used the word 'day' they were in fact referring to the same period of time that we do today.

Are you waiting to be convinced?

You then have the audacity to claim that I am not reasonable while not having the integrity or decency to support your claim

Yes, how dare I make that claim in light of just the small bit of logical reasoning you're been made privy to.

- thinking that your simple say so and insult to my character makes whatever you say valid. I find such attitude quite distasteful.

Not at all...I encourage you to research the topic on your own.

Where did I say such a thing? I stated that the 'rest day' is celebrated every 7 days, because the 7th day was made holy because that's when gods work was completed.

There's no denying fact...The day of rest is indeed the Seventh Day.

Now, if you assert that this is still the 7th day, and we know that the 7th day is holy.. then we shouldn't be doing anything.. ever. god tells mankind not to do any work etc on the sabbath - because that is the holy day. If that day is today and everyday then every single man ever to have lived has failed to understand god's words. And you call that "ease of understanding"? Do me a lemon.

I can't assert anything.I must defer to the scritpures which say it is so. Obviously this greater Sabbath does not restrict our labors. That would be repetitive. That day has been set aside.

I'd have to look it up to give you details...but I'm not inclined to do so. I imagine that may fusturate you...but I'm sure you'll get over it...research it yourself or give up after this has grown tiresome.

Anytime you have something of substance to support your claims let me know.

If it bit you...would you know....
I hope so.

Not really. You claimed that '6' was a sign of imperfection. I then asked you if that meant that creation was imperfect considering it took 6 days. You said no, thus contradicting your own earlier claim.

There was no contradiction. The creative days were heavenly acts...It was not a man's creation...therefore the only contradiction is your own. You work hard on narrowing in on one piece of information, snakelord. Next time attempt to use all the information I give you. Ignoring the other refrences will not get you anymore information....at least not from me.

It was just a small bit of information I imparted. But I've seen the scriptures and understand their meaning. You have not. At least you appear to not have that knowledge. But you dismiss them anyway. So be it.

Let's see if goading and painfull dedication to the litteral letter of text will get you any where.

Last edited:
Not at all infact.

Not at all what?

You have the facts and there is much more.

Oh do tell, what "facts" are those exactly other than the 'fact' that my 8 year old daughter would put up a more supported debate than you clearly can?

I don't understand exactly what you think you have managed to argue with any decent level of competence.

You claim that the biblical writers did not mean 'day' when they used the word day. The evidence against your claim is that those same biblical writers informed the reader that to them a day constituted a period of time from one sunrise to the next sunrise. This is accepted as a 'day' even by modern standards - and it is absolutely impossible to support your claim that the biblical writers at that time meant anything other than a 24 hour period.

Now, perhaps you're getting confused. The world and universe could have been 'created' in 6 nanoseconds or 6 gazillion years, or - and more likely - not at all. The point of discussion is not how long it took, if indeed creation ever happened, but what the biblical writers meant with the word day - and it is simply undeniable given the text to claim they meant anything other than a 'day' as we understand the word. They are saying, wrong or not, that god took 6 days, (24 hour periods), to create what he created.

Never saw anything state that it rained for 40,000 years.

You're right. Day means day. Glad we have finally established that.

However I have proven to you that a "day" meaning is not regulated to a mere 24 hour period.

No disrespect Saquist, but if you think repeating a claim over and over is "proof", then you're really not ready for large scale debates - or any debates for that matter. The word 'day' in genesis refers to a day as we understand the word- which is shown beyond any doubt whatsoever because each 'day' stems from one sunrise to the next. That is a day. It is nothing else.. it's not a week, it's not a month, it's not a year.

I don't see how it would change your perspective there are many occasions in which a day was not actually a day. But You've rejected all these in order to focus specificly on 24 hours despite evidence to the contrary.

1) Rejected all of what? You haven't given me anything other than a basless claim. Oh, aside from telling me that at the end of creation it says 7 days took 1 day - which it doesn't.

2) What evidence? For one last time: Your say so is not evidence, your continual repetition of a claim is not evidence, or proof, or fact. You need to learn this quick time.

The question is...the time which transpired for the Earth's formation likely would have been so long it would have lacked any significant meaning.

Of course the earths formation took a long damn time, that is not the debate.

Rather the Bible has presented the Earth construction in 6 periods of time which are regarded as days

Those days being 24 hour periods. What is you don't understand? :shrug:

There is more than enough evidence to suggest that it was not litteral.

Yesssssssssssss, you keep telling me this. So, where is it? Get on with it already, I'll be dead in 100 years time.

Yet again I must ask...to what end?

To uhh... support a claim that you made lol.

Oh no, Snakelord let that be your arguement, not mine.

Uhh.. it was your argument.

Thus far you've been completely dismissive of every bit of information I dispense.

Come now, I keep asking you to provide evidence but you seemingly want me to just accept a baseless claim. Come on Saquist, this is not how debates work.

I...suspect...You don't wish to allow the scriptures to be correct in any capacity. That's unfortunant if it's true.

Without wanting to point out the blatantly obvious: YOU are the one saying that scripture is not correct lol - indeed accusing me of taking it too correctly.

Have you come to this debate while still sleeping?

Give me a good reaons why...my claim needs to be verified by you.

Oh right, you're unaware of how these things work. Ok, let me spell it out to you: When you go about making a claim to someone it is standard procedure that they ask for some verification to your claim. For instance:

I claim that there is a leprechaun in my garage. You now seemingly assert that you should just accept this claim as true - simply on the basis that I've claimed it. Surely even someone unfamiliar with how debate works should recognise a problem with that?

I never put any number on the creative days.

You did indeed, stating that we are still on day 7, (which means these days must actually be longer than 1 day - in fact quite a bit more than 1 day as we understand the word).

Yes that would be litteral.
As I've explained...there is no reason to believe these are litteral days.

Other than the fact that it explains them as being from one sunrise to the next. Go figure.. :bugeye:

There's no denying fact...The day of rest is indeed the Seventh Day.

Yessssss... where did anyone say otherwise? Kindly quote the comment. Thanks.

I can't assert anything.I must defer to the scritpures which say it is so.

So if you must, then do so already. Seems like a reasonable idea.. But wait..

I'd have to look it up to give you details...but I'm not inclined to do so.

Oops. Ok then.. :shrug:

The creative days were heavenly acts...It was not a man's creation...therefore the only contradiction is your own.

1) Do you even know what contradiction means? If so how have you managed to fit it in that sentence?

2) So now you change details. Your original claim was that '6' was a sign of imperfection. You never mentioned anything about it only being so with regards to "human creation" - whatever that might mean. In either case I don't see how you support a claim that 6 is a sign of imperfection. The notion is dumb, no offence.

Now.. If you don't want to support your claims and instead think it is sufficient merely to waffle the same claim over and over and over then fine.. But go do that with someone more in tune with such a style of debate, namely a 3 year old. I hope that's understood.

Last edited:
I try not to interpret the Bible but I understand your meaning.
The correct understanding of the scriptures will no cause contradiction with other scriptures.

This is all I'm really interested in. I strongly agree that any interpretation should strive to rid itself of any and all contradiction, but I ask, does that necessarily make it the truth? I could (not easily) construct an interpretation of the Odyssey's symbols and metaphorical meanings that is free of contradiction, but it does not follow that the story from which the interpretation was drawn must be true. I highly doubt you would disagree concerning the Odyssey. So it seems that an interpretation of the Bible, while it may be rid of contradiction, is still just an opinion, albeit a more successful one than others.

Last edited:
This is all I'm really interested in. I strongly agree that any interpretation should strive to rid itself of any and all contradiction, but I ask, does that necessarily make it the truth? I could (not easily) construct an interpretation of the Odyssey's symbols and metaphorical meanings that is free of contradiction, but it does not follow that the story from which the interpretation was drawn must be true. I highly doubt you would disagree concerning the Odyssey. So it seems that an interpretation of the Bible, while it may be rid of contradiction, is still just an opinion, albeit a more successful one than others.

You bring up a good point, Celpha. Deciphering the truth is one of the most difficult objectives we as humans can undertake. It's why there are so many faiths, so many interpretations and so many doctrines.

I can tell you that no one correct line of thinking, no one fact can define the truth. It is a myriad of facts and right thinking and reasonings that lead to that truth. It must all harmonize, it must all fit, and not just truth unto itself...truth in harmony with everything.

The Bible is one of those rare...truths that is consistent true unto it'self and truely in harmony with everything else. It's 1200 someodd pages. It not only takes awhile to understand what you read it takes extensive research.

You bring up a good point, Celpha. Deciphering the truth is one of the most difficult objectives we as humans can undertake. It's why there are so many faiths, so many interpretations and so many doctrines.

I can tell you that no one correct line of thinking, no one fact can define the truth. It is a myriad of facts and right thinking and reasonings that lead to that truth. It must all harmonize, it must all fit, and not just truth unto itself...truth in harmony with everything.

The Bible is one of those rare...truths that is consistent true unto it'self and truely in harmony with everything else. It's 1200 someodd pages. It not only takes awhile to understand what you read it takes extensive research.

I'd like to suggest a correction in what you've said; it's not that the Bible itself is consistently true to itself, but just your interpretation of it. You would surely agree with me that there are countless interpretations that suffer from contradictions and inconsistencies ad nauseum. Yet as we've agreed, their interpretation is just as valid as yours, although yours may be more successful.

Now I'd like to posit something of grander purpose to you than nit-picky details on semantics. Above you say that, "Deciphering the truth is one of the most difficult objectives we as humans can undertake." I cannot tell you how right I think you are, and in our doing so, there needs to be a solid and structured way of deciphering the truth. I have found that philosophy/theology, while it has its place, cannot serve as the forerunner in our search for truth, due to the wide sea of potential interpretations we've pondered, which are all subject to particular individuals and opinions at heart. What we need is a universal criterion which organizes these ideas and opinions into varying degrees of correctness concerning the truth; otherwise it is simply my word versus your word versus his word versus her word. This universal criterion is science; science is the enterprise that allows opinions to become either facts or falsities. I'll stress again the shortcomings of philosophy/theology here; they can but only show differing degrees of successfulness within relative opinions. In fact, theology would be quick to point out that it deals largely in a realm where hard evidence cannot go, so anything in that realm can't by its own terms leave the developmental stage of opinion.

In short, this is why I look so favorably upon a scientific pursuit of truth; indeed, I believe it is the only real way we will ever get to anything close to truth. It is infinitely more satisfying than the camps of philosophy and theology, as fun as they can be (as I've said, they do have their place) because you actually have undeniable evidence that cannot be refuted by well constructed logic, no matter how rid of contradiction or inconsistencies. Food for thought there.

I'd like to suggest a correction in what you've said; it's not that the Bible itself is consistently true to itself, but just your interpretation of it. You would surely agree with me that there are countless interpretations that suffer from contradictions and inconsistencies ad nauseum. Yet as we've agreed, their interpretation is just as valid as yours, although yours may be more successful.

I can certainly understand for where you speak. It's not uncommon that I speak with individuals with a similary outlook. All of them agree that religion has only bred uncertainty and contradiction. The question of validity is a constant struggle formost that are searching for God.

If we are to assume there is a God that created evertything and that has seen fit to have text as testimony of his existence and purpose handed down to us then we are talking about an author. More than just that...but an author with his own way. So it's elementary to assume there is only one way. Out of a hundred paths then there can only be one true path.

Are all the other paths just as valid is they inwardly contradict themselves?

Now I'd like to posit something of grander purpose to you than nit-picky details on semantics. Above you say that, "Deciphering the truth is one of the most difficult objectives we as humans can undertake." I cannot tell you how right I think you are, and in our doing so, there needs to be a solid and structured way of deciphering the truth. I have found that philosophy/theology, while it has its place, cannot serve as the forerunner in our search for truth, due to the wide sea of potential interpretations we've pondered, which are all subject to particular individuals and opinions at heart. What we need is a universal criterion which organizes these ideas and opinions into varying degrees of correctness concerning the truth; otherwise it is simply my word versus your word versus his word versus her word. This universal criterion is science; science is the enterprise that allows opinions to become either facts or falsities. I'll stress again the shortcomings of philosophy/theology here; they can but only show differing degrees of successfulness within relative opinions. In fact, theology would be quick to point out that it deals largely in a realm where hard evidence cannot go, so anything in that realm can't by its own terms leave the developmental stage of opinion.

I agree to a degree with this. I believe that religion is a difficult measure of reality. The fundalmentals are rarely agreed upon, there is constant contentiousness among sects and doctrines...I've often related it to the American Stock Market: A conflageration of objectives and followers shouting for equal time and presense of a floor of chaos. I've found that the one not shouting is the one with somthing to listen too. It narrows the field.

Science is a vernerable field. It is the pursuit of how the world around us works. It should have no bias and no preconcieved notions. However I've found that science bares a remarkable similarity to the American Stock Market. The shouting, the theories of what will fail vs the successes. The personal objectives and at many times the lack of listening.

I've concluded that the common denominator in failure to find truth isn't the ideaology, science or theology...it's ourselves. It's the human factor that is consistently predjudice and hampered by alterior motives. Without the human factor there is nothing wrong with either religion or science.

In short, this is why I look so favorably upon a scientific pursuit of truth; indeed, I believe it is the only real way we will ever get to anything close to truth. It is infinitely more satisfying than the camps of philosophy and theology, as fun as they can be (as I've said, they do have their place) because you actually have undeniable evidence that cannot be refuted by well constructed logic, no matter how rid of contradiction or inconsistencies. Food for thought there.

The black and white, Yes. it's like problem solving ask a question and get a clear answer. This I can appreciate.

Saquist,

I'm glad we find agreement on a lot of this. I know all too well the human element which tends to muddle things up, no matter what enterprise we are dealing with, religion or science. But another thing I admire about science is that these anomalies of biasness are automatically weeded out by the intellectually honest structure and methodology that scientific pursuit is founded upon. In other words, science is here strictly for knowledge's sake, so I imagine anyone who is abusing that is quickly identified and dismissed by the rest of the community. Religion exists for more purposes than just knowledge (it generally tries to be way too ambitious if you ask me), which allows for so much more opportunity to muddle in than science does.

As for your question, the answer is in a word, yes. The contradictory ones are just less successful and indicative of a less-applied reasoning. Your elementary assumption is one I think you jump to hastily. Consider this; perhaps there was reason God (assuming he exists) decided to have multiple people author his infallible word, namely that no one person has the correct spiritual interpretation. My father believes that all religions and ways of considering the spiritual are correct paths, all leading to God. This is just as equally a possibility as just one being correct, or none being correct for that matter.

Perhaps, but consider this...the bible itself tells us that only god is to interpret. That then implies that we need not interpret but merely look for patterns...

2 Timothy 1:13...

Keep holding the pattern of health words that you heard from me with the faith and love that are in connection with Christ Jesus.

That gives us some idea of our responsibility as christians to avoid speculation and interpretation and follow the pattern.

Perhaps, but consider this...the bible itself tells us that only god is to interpret. That then implies that we need not interpret but merely look for patterns...

Keep holding the pattern of health words that you heard from me with the faith and love that are in connection with Christ Jesus.

That gives us some idea of our responsibility as christians to avoid speculation and interpretation and follow the pattern.

But you are interpreting the bible, right ?
Looking for patterns is pointless unless you are going to conclude something about your obsevations, which is interpreting.

Here is the problem when you make the claim that "day" refers to 1000 years:

In the issue of Noah we see that it rains for 40 days and 40 nights. What the bible therefore is actually saying is that it rained for 40,000 days - which is problematic given Noahs supposed lifespan.

But no, the religious think they can just make it up as they go along. The bible writers were idiots, one minute not knowing what a "day" means, and the next knowing perfectly well.

What you would have to do is justify why you claim the biblical writers didn't understand what a "day" was, and why they actually meant 1000 years when not doing the same in any other usage of the word 'day' in the entire bible.
I think he means that day can mean "period", perhaps not fixed to 1000 years. Also I think that there are clearly seen metaphorical languange in different areas in the Bible where such a interpretation could be justified. But it's all subjective anyway I guess.

Perhaps, but consider this... the bible itself tells us that only god is to interpret. That then implies that we need not interpret but merely look for patterns...

M*W: "Patterns" simply mean "astrology." God was not the only one to "interpret patterns," that was for everyone to do who believed in "the Word" or the "Logos!" Those who chose not to "interpret" but leave it up to a metaphorical "god" will never know the truth in their own mind or out!

I really don't see how you can incorporate the connection with "the Lord Jesus" in this respect. If the guy didn't exist, how could there be any connection of proof? Believing in a fictitious Jesus results in a false positive. He didn't exist, and you believe a falsehood! That's really sad!

I think he means that day can mean "period", perhaps not fixed to 1000 years. Also I think that there are clearly seen metaphorical languange in different areas in the Bible where such a interpretation could be justified.

Ok, but as I was trying to point out to him, the "period" used in the creation part of genesis is clearly a 'day' as we understand the term because it was between one sunrise and the next. He was trying to argue on the other thread and this one that the day seen in genesis does not refer to a 'day' but something much longer, (he is indeed an advocate for the 1000 years = 1 day notion). He has yet to support such a notion - indeed his best argument is that "it is true, but I'm not going to explain it". Little more needs be said to people that believe such a strategy has any value.

...you know Paul wrote that letter to Timothy, right? Not God. That makes your quote one man's opinion. Sorry to wreck your point.

Even so, interpreting and following any pattern in the Bible is still speculation. You yourself aren't avoiding it at all.

Back