To know God

water said:
How do you know that you have understood something? When you can observe yourself acting on that knowledge, and knowing why you act the way you do?
I would say it's the ability to interact meaningfully with information, or "knowledge". To see the same thing from different angles. Where someone could certainly have knowledge of mathematics, it does not mean he can react meaningfully with that field, see different sides of it.

This difference might be seen in the sentence, "I know what you're talking about, but I don't understand yet". Knowledge can be transmitted, but understanding cannot be taught. It comes as you gain familiarity with what you're presented with.

So yes, I would say that if you employ knowledge with an awareness of how and why you're doing it, knwoing when to talk and where to remain silent, you show understanding. Not that complete understanding is ever possible, but that's where wisdom comes in, I think. When we use our understanding responsibly and see the different angles to it.
"Grasp the subject, the words will follow." -- Cato​

Yorda, How many times have I heard people say that god choses his believers? Lol, that is a excuse to make people believe. The idea of god is childish. The idea of absolute end isnt. There is nothing called soul. Because you cannot argue otherwise. If you still plan to argue, I would like an evidence of soul. Let me guess your reply, "These things cannot be seen because they are spiritual or transcendental." Thats also an excuse to convince people of something that has never existed. Believing in religion is like obeying and taking orders. Everything works out fine, until you start questioning the ways of religion and idea of god. Thats why most of the atheists are analytical thinkers. They ask questions. Besides when has the world ever accepted the truth/revolution until the majority are part of the revolution. If you truly belive god exists, then go ahead. It is only wasting your time.
Before you say something Yorda, just analysize whether whatever it is that you are going to say is either a belief or fact. Sensational or Exact.

Only because people say that they are believers doesn't mean that they are believers in the eyes of the Lord.

The idea of God has to be childish because humans are childish. But later, humans will know what God really is.

God is the same as our higher self. The soul is the same as God. And truly, there is much evidence for the self.

Yorda said:
And truly, there is much evidence for the self.
could you please supply the evidence for this, thank you.
and I dont mean, cause my mum said, actual facts please, tested facts.

the preacher said:

His/her/its mum said. Deal with it.

the preacher said:

Do you really need evidence for your existence?

itopal said:
But that is not proof, merely opinion, of which is only a possibility.

You can never "prove" anything, you can only make it sound true for some people. Even if it would be the absolute truth, it can never be true for all people because we're all at different levels. It doesn't matter if some one elses opinions are more true than mine if I don't agree with them. The personal truth is the only important at the moment because humans don't know the absolute truth. The absolute truth is visible among great teachers, since they all talk about the same thing.

Snakelord, I am the average joe and found god without a tragedy so your theory on that is proven wrong. When someone has depression I do believe they can take pills for help eventhough tons of people have hung themselves. I have a question though. How do chemicals in the mind work.... like say if someone says something nice to another...well how does that affect the chemicals...just questions. Lord Phoenix spirits are there weather you believe it or not. You just haven't witnessed them. I would really love for you to go to a haunted mansion in Europe and come out and tell me no spirits exists.

I have another question. Why is it so hard for people to believe that Jesus existed when people easily accept buddah?

Why should I feel under attack?

It's pretty much standard when you're talking about a group of people in a way that could be seen negatively. If you sat in a room full of Africans and gave a speech on how black people smell, they too would feel like they were under attack. But nevermind, this isn't important - well certainly not as important as the rest of the paragraph that you ignored.

Very wrong. I am the average joe, and it was simple to find god. I just let god come into my life

When, where, how, influences etc etc. Details are important. Saying "I just" doesn't have any value.

and you claim that people need some type of tragedy for this to happen, when I did it without any tragedy

Or brought up religious, as I mentioned.

Oh really? Then explain to me what chemicals do this and how.

mis-t-highs has kindly done that on page 2.

----------

Well, if we have to go by the cosmology of the Aztecs and the builders of Stonehenge, the geometry of the Egyptians and Babylonians, or the rationality of the Greeks, we in no greater mental shape unless you start out with the assumption that atheism is the pinacle of mental maturity. No doubt they were also 6 year-olds once, who then grew into adulthood and emotional maturity just as we do.

I don't really understand the value of this in regards to what I was saying. Do you regard the ability to lump rocks on top of each other - even to a great degree of accuracy - as having a lot of knowledge about the world? Do you consider minotaurs as one symbol of "Greek rationality"?

These people would have been more out of place than people of today that have a lot more answers and a lot less struggles. Go back time and gods are dime a dozen, and yet I can't really think of anyone who in recent years has invented/found a new god.

In the same way that childrens imaginary beings will resemble something familiar to them, we see exactly the same with gods. Snake gods in South America, elephant gods in India, crocodile gods in Egypt, and a crucified hippy at the time when crucifying hippies was a common event.

Not to mention that the assumption is that you have personally shed the impulses that makes 6-year olds invent imaginary friends.

Not at all, I just deal with the issue in a different manner. Please note that not every child has an imaginary friend - they deal with their issues in different ways, of which some will create imaginary friends. Some people will drink, some will eat loads and then puke, and some will attach themselves to imaginary friends - regardless of their age.

Research shows that most children who have these friends are just as well-adapted and socially aware as those who don't

Certainly, they just deal with their issues in another way.

And is this desire natural or not? Why, unlike any other living organism, do we feel so out of place in ourselves that we have to compensate for it?

Because we have the ability to question? Neither a week old child or a week old rabbit understand why they need to consume food. If they then sat down and questioned it, they would expect to find an answer for that question. How do they find the answer? One would typically bring parents into the equation, but doesn't the question go beyond that? Doesn't that question continue indefinitely? It's quite normal that at the end of the picture you conjure up a father that made it that way.

Last I knew, other living organisms didn't have this ability, and thus you wont find any religious ones. However if they could, it would stand to reason that their beliefs would entail a giant animal who's image they have been made in, and that their bad gods would be like their natural enemies.

If it really was more realistic to accept our insignificance and the sad state of affairs, why doesn't our reason agree?

We don't accept it, and we have things that do indeed make our lives better and more worthwhile. This differs for everyone, it could be the internet, the television, going out clubbing, enjoying a weekend beer, masturbating, praying to the sky. The list is endless.

Is inconvenience any measure of reality? "The more inconvenient, the more real"? Or does your criticism not apply to yourself, that because you have come to grips with life this way and not that way, it must be the right way? Is it only true if it hurts, and obviously false if it makes sense?

No. As I said, I deal with the issues in a different way. The only thing that really bothers me is that I wont be alive to see men exploring space to any great degree.

Let me make it clear that you can believe in whatever you want, but that I'll tell you it's not real, the same way you'd tell an alcoholic that drink is no good for him. Sure, he'd argue back aswell, but that wouldn't change the reality of it, now would it?

Take a close look at your own argument. You suppose our cognitive dissonance should remain visible, or we are under an illusion, but you cannot account for the dissonance.

I'm sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say. Kindly rephrase it.

Belief in God often becomes stronger after one has come to grips with one's circumstances

Certainly, in much the same way that someone who enters competitions on a regular basis will be more inclined to do it once he's won a prize.

It's simply an intellectual arrogance to dismiss imagination and creativity as infantile toys.

Well luckily I didn't dismiss either of them. I personally enjoy writing fiction stories - which requires both imagination and creativity. The problem arises when you cannot discern that imagination as imagination, but consider it reality.

I have no credible historical or personal evidence for any of those things, and I am content to remain agnostic to them. Their existence as you or some wide-eyed sailor might describe them may or may not correspond to any reality, but they remain beyond my horizons of observation.

Why would someone so happy to advocate "faith", be talking about observation and evidence? And having said that, do you then recognise the rationality of a disbelievers position and irrationality of a believer who has neither seen credible evidence or observed god?

the claims for God's existence have come down to me almost as an avalanche.

It's somewhat amusing to see you use the words "evidence" and "observation" on the first part of the paragraph, and now resort to "claims".

But there's one thing that really sticks out like a sore thumb. Let's say I had witnessed a leprechaun. It was running around in my garden, then came in the house, made a tea and had a snooze on my sofa. Knowing that this is a leprechaun, you would never ever ever hear me say; "I believe in leprechauns", or "the claims for a leprechauns existence yada yada". Instead, I would say: "leprechauns exist, I've seen them", and be done with it.

Religious people don't do that. They supposedly 'know' that god is real and yet always say "I believe" and "I have faith". That shows beyond any reasonable doubt that they don't actually have a clue. If you know, you know. Period.

I know it's raining. I don't believe it's raining, and I don't have faith that it's raining. I know it's raining.

It's hope, not knowledge - and the reason we hope, is to fulfil need.

His presence overwhelmed my experience since childhood - not supernaturally, but naturally

Ok, explain how.

not as something alien and hitherto undiscovered, but someone near, familiar and accessible.

A comforting, caring father figure should never seem 'alien and hitherto undiscovered'.

Where accounts of fantastical creatures and places have been diverse and spurious, often relying on ignorance, sentiment and sensation

That same sentiment should be applied to fantastical sky beings aswell. You are in no place, lacking any credible evidence, to make a separation between them.

the evidence that Jesus and Israel left behind have been within the realm of scholarly interest and are there for all to examine for themselves.

Such as? Oh kindly don't tell me you're talking about old scrolls written by people you don't know, have no valid position with which to trust, and who knew very little about the planet they lived on?

Also, what evidence did jesus leave behind other than nothing?

The people involved show no signs of having invented something for themselves

You met the biblical writers? If not, how can you say that with any credibility? Because those very same texts describe them as being good honest folk? Tell me please, I am truly fascinated.

there is always a precedence, a reason.

Of course. It's how storytelling works. There was a reason for Frodo to go to Mordor. What's your point?

Nor do their accounts show signs of self-flattering bias or in compensatiion for some inadequacy - on the contrary, Israel suffered more indignation and critical scrutiny under their God than they would have under a god who only served their needs or was invoked to justify their actions. And it is not only "true because it's brutal": they never hesitated to testify of his love and fathfulness when they deserved it least. They never failed to talk of His justice, whether it was condemning or supporting them.

But again you're getting it all from the same source, which is no different to the struggles Frodo went through but still somehow managed to take the ring, that not once does he actually give up on his quest even after a shitload of hardships, and even after being betrayed by Boromir, he does not talk down about the guy but stands up for him.

And for all that wealth of information, my experience of God is consistent not because of their accounts, but independently of them.

And yet you haven't managed to provide anything independant of them, but use those accounts to not only justify themselves, but to justify everything else. The bible is true, and the people in the bible are trustworthy because the bible says they are. We know god is real because the trustworthy people in the bible loved him even when the trustworthy people in the bible said they had a hard time.

Ridiculous.

I can confirm their experience with my own

You can't confirm anything.

but I can also judge their actions by the morality they were being weaned into.

The actions that they wrote that happened?

I can see David was wrong in the way he prayed to God to smite his enemies in bloodthirsty anger, but I can see that the justice he hoped for would be done nontheless.

Sure, like I can see Boromir was wrong to betray Frodo, and yet I can see the honour in Frodo forgiving him.

But you still haven't provided anything "independant of them".

But I can still tell you nothing more about leprechauns, mermaids, aliens, Eldorado or Atlantis than you already know, even though my curiosity about them had lead me far and wide during my adolescent years.

Well, now I have the opportunity to use a very common religious statement:

You just weren't looking hard enough.

But what are you saying, that they're not real because you couldn't find enough information on them, and that god is because you found the bible? It comes across that way, whether intentional or not.

I must say these knee-jerk objections were less than I expected of you and Cris. I never used argumentum ad populum in an argument, I asked a question, and seizing onto the possibility that I did just looks desperate.

All due respect, but I doubt the 'mistake' would have been made by both of us unless it came across that way. It doesn't mean you intended to, but these things happen. But having gone back over it again, you did indeed make a statement to that effect. You said:

"Having faith in a God who has been believed in for thousands of years by millions of people is hardly the same as inventing an imaginary friend at 6."

The "millions of people" is an important part of the statement, and unless that is to signify the merit of number of people, it has no use in the sentence. You should have said: "Having faith in a god is hardly the same as inventing an imaginary friend". You see, the "millions of people" in that sentence shows the reason for the differences. You did not say they're different because only kids believe in imaginary friends, or that they're different because one is on earth and the other is in space. The 'because' of your sentence was 'millions of people'.

As I said though, that might not have been intentional, and there's certainly nothing "desperate" on our part. You did indeed follow with a question asking if we can really see no difference between rational faith and delusion. What this shows is that you consider imaginary friends as delusion, but your own personal delusion 'god', as rational - when you haven't provided any information over why that is rational other than to state "millions of people".

As that is the type of question that cannot be answered without you providing surrounding information, kindly tell us why one is rational while the other is personal delusion.

----------

Your answers only show what it would take *you* to believe in God.

Nonsense. The only thing I actually require to believe in god, is proof. I have the feeling it's exactly what you'd require to believe in leprechauns.

You are committing chronological snobbery again -- "If it is old, it must be wrong."

Where did I say "if it's old, it's wrong"? You know, some think the world is 7,000 years old, some say it's 4.5 billion. The people who say 7,000 years are wrong. Oh well, so much for your "if it's old, it's wrong". What I said was, that as people have progressed, and societies have changed, beliefs have changed to suit". Once upon a time people were using an abacus, nowadays we use a calculator. That doesn't mean an abacus is wrong, merely that it has changed as people and societies have progressed. Understand?

Worthless little life. You think that this is what life truly IS, for everyone?

No. It can be whatever you want or need it to be. That's the whole point.

If you keep insisting that the only definition of God is that of "imaginary sky being", then no matter what anyone says about God, nothing will move you from your cemented position.

It's like as if in your dictionary, an apple is depicted as what others refer to as "orange". So when there are oranges on the table, you insist to call them apples. And if someone asks you, "Would you like one of these oranges?", you reply, "Thse aren't oranges, they are apples!"

Don't try and avoid the subject with a pedantic discussion on how I refer to gods. Look, you can define it/them however you want to. Happy now? Good, so can you please rationalise how belief in a god and belief in an imaginary friend are any different.

You are leaving out one very important phase: When something "really bad" happens, esp. like a near death experience, surviving a bad car accident, for example, what can happen after that is that the person finds himself in an intense mental state. If you survive when all common sense pointed that you won't, you find yourself thinking in extremes, in terms of life and death, whether you like it or not, for such was the experience. This is not usual everyday thinking.

I didn't leave it out, it's all covered in my statement that the majority of religious people become religious after a tragic event. However, I'll still reply to it.

You are right in saying "it's not usual everyday thinking". Of course it isn't. The brain doesn't go through that kind of trauma every day, and with a little luck not very often at all. But your brain is not stupid. In a position where death is a probability or possibility you will experience certain things - to make death not quite so bad.

You would have heard of the common saying: "my life flashed before my eyes". Why do you think that is? Let me ask you, would you rather spend the last moments of your life seeing wonderful images from the past, or totally witnessing your face smash into the front end of a double decker bus?

What about white tunnels etc? Again, would you rather be having pleasant thoughts/visions or lie there looking at all the blood around you and your decapitated leg sitting 20 feet down the road?

It also serves to relax you, and when you're relaxed you stand more chance of survival. If you're leaking blood, shaking round like a lunatic would only make you lose more blood, whereas lying still would prevent that from happening. If you've damaged your back, writhing around screaming will only serve to make it worse whereas looking into a nice pleasant white tunnel will just make you say: "ooh, that's nice".

People round here really have little respect for the brains abilities.

It is upon facing such extremes, that one more drastically considers the value and course of one's life, the need to make decisions that one wasn't used to make before.
It is only after this that some people turn to religion. Not for consolation or out of fear, but because of the need to make clear, life-long decisions. And only established religions offer room for such decisions.

What decision would that be then? That they don't intend to die?

Why do you think that "being special" can be a problem?

I didn't say it was a problem. It's the reverse, 'not being special' that can be a problem.

Most people want to be loved. Wanting to be loved is not a problem.

I never said it was a problem, not being loved can be a problem.

This is true only for Mormonism.

Only mormons go to heaven and get reunited with their family? First I've heard about that.

I get the distinct impression you have misuuderstood my list. I suggest you read it again just to make sure.

It does very much matter who agrees with it! People vote. They vote for governments, they vote for presidents. Presidents don't just elect themselves.
And some governments and presidents have great power.

Sure, but that doesn't make my interest in it any greater.

Snakelord, I am the average joe and found god without a tragedy so your theory on that is proven wrong.

A) I did not state that tragedy was the only way.

B) Nothing is proven wrong on one person's word. A person that I do not know, a person who's story is uncorroborated and untestable - hell, you haven't even provided a story. Be very careful when using the word "proof", or some variant thereof.

When someone has depression I do believe they can take pills for help eventhough tons of people have hung themselves.

Sure, both viable methods of which to deal with issues.

How do chemicals in the mind work.... like say if someone says something nice to another...well how does that affect the chemicals...just questions.

It's probably more useful to study than to listen to me. I don't know if you've ever gone up to a woman and told her she is positively beautiful, but if you do you'll more often than not notice her face flush. This is just blood. You know when you get cold or scared you get goosepimples? That's just the skin pinching together, (it should be stated that the only benefit of such an action would be for an animal that possesses a hell of a lot more hair than we do).

To find out the why takes time and study. I'm certainly not that clued up on all the hows and whys so it would be better perhaps to read some books on the subject.

But these are all natural things. Just because one hasn't studied the hows and why's does not hint at the existence of gods, extraterrestrial beings or mermaids.

The same goes for chemicals. After sex chemicals are released to make you sleepy. When you sleep chemicals are released to keep you still, (which is what sleepwalkers lack), when you're going through puberty a whole bunch of chemicals invade your system and make you suffer all kinds of strange side-effects, from acne to mood swings. Your brain is an incredibly sophisticated machine. It has automated systems such as air intake, blinking, and your heart beating, non-automated systems such as moving your hand, kicking a ball etc, systems you can't avoid, (such as getting an erection when you look at a porn mag :D ), and internal systems that you don't even know are happening, (chemical release etc).

People really doubt the brain, and yet it can do a million and one things to keep you safe and happy.

Lord Phoenix spirits are there weather you believe it or not. You just haven't witnessed them. I would really love for you to go to a haunted mansion in Europe and come out and tell me no spirits exists.

I'll happily take you up on that challenge. I'll book a visit to England's most haunted house. Let it be stated though, that in general people will have a very heightened fear level, (and thus be pumped full of drugs such as adrenaline), just going there. It's common for people who are in a secluded, unfamiliar place be that a haunted house or a desert island. As a result they develop irrational levels of fear, and even a pin drop could cause the imagination to run wild.

Snakelord, I have had weird things happen when spirits have been around. My friends and I witnessed the exact same thing. It was just a completely normal day, and we had nothing to fear. So witnessing this with my friends made me always have to believe in spirits, but if I didn't witness it with them, well, then I would probably be a skeptic. And yes I do believe natural causes like too many positive ions can cause hallucination, but if we were hallucinating we wouldn't have witnessed the same thing.

Maybe you missed this question... Why is it so hard for people to believe that Jesus existed when people easily accept buddah? Just looking for some logical answers, and good reasons why.

qwerasdfzxcv said:
Snakelord, I have had weird things happen when spirits have been around. My friends and I witnessed the exact same thing. It was just a completely normal day, and we had nothing to fear. So witnessing this with my friends made me always have to believe in spirits, but if I didn't witness it with them, well, then I would probably be a skeptic. And yes I do believe natural causes like too many positive ions can cause hallucination, but if we were hallucinating we wouldn't have witnessed the same thing.
that is pure unadulterated B S.
when you make a statement like this, you have to back it up.
please supply reference material for your assertion.
thank you.

qwerasdfzxcv said:
Maybe you missed this question... Why is it so hard for people to believe that Jesus existed when people easily accept buddah? Just looking for some logical answers, and good reasons why.
buddha is not a god he was an Indian mystic, who founded a religion, his lineage can be verified http://www.buddhism.co.za/kagyu_lineage.htm
jesus is just a mythical person written in a book, there is no prove he ever existed.
hope that helps.

Ok, I can understand this, but then where do we draw the line? There are people that will tell you they have been abducted and abused by aliens, I personally know some people who have seen fairies, I can give you accounts of entire towns that have seen UFO's, and I even know a black man who's convinced he's actually white. I do not doubt that things can seem real, and that they can be shared by others, but then if some time was spent going into it, these kind of claims generally break down.

Do you think if I questioned you and your friends separately you would give me the 'exact' same accounts? Can you provide any actual details concerning it? See, you've done this twice now..

First you said you found god without tragedy and stated that proved me wrong, and yet haven't managed to provide any details concerning it, and now you make yet another claim that you and your buddies have seen spirits- again without being able to provide any details. We can start simply with the minor details like: where were you exactly, what did this spirit look like, did it talk, move, did it hover, fly or walk, did it have a face or was it just a fuzzy blob? Did you not actually see a 'spirit' but just witness other strange phenomenon like the radio turning itself on, the tv getting louder, or the lightbulb popping?

These are all essential questions. You can't expect your claim to have any vaue as it is without all the required details concerning it.

I know absolutely nothing about buddah so I can't comment. Instead, we can talk about gilgamesh and his relation to jesus. Both have been written about, both were half human/half god and yet while a religious man wont even give gilgamesh the time of day, he has as much evidence pertaining to his existence as jesus does, (i.e one piece of text). It's double standards.

As with all things, we must go by the evidence. jesus doesn't have any.

Well snakelord I do have to admit I am truely a lazy tard. In each of those statements I wanted to give all the details, but I was too lazy. I'm usually tired towards the end of the day from sports and what not. I might get some energy for those details, and until then have fun. Well, I'm off to bed now.

Back