They finally banned violent video games in prisons

I question the value of harsh conditions and the subjective exploitation of the term <i>punishment.</i>

zanket said:
There was a prison where every inmate was in solitary confinement for the duration. Talk about keeping costs down. Problem was the prisoners came out insane, which cost society a lot to deal with.

This is actualy fairly common amoung American "supermax" prisons, of which there are a great abundance. Some inmates are kept in solitary confinement cells for up to 23 hours a day for months on end.

<i>"Some inmates are kept in solitary confinement cells for up to 23 hours a day for months on end."</i>

For their protection or that of others?

fadingCaptain said:
Surely you see that there is a subjective line drawn somewhere. Of course they should be punished beyond the loss of freedom. Do you think they should have heated pools, plasma screen tvs, and tilt-a-whirl?

No, because those are not low-cost.

Apparently, you think if they can't play video games they are being unduly punished.

No, as long as they have other forms of low-cost recreation to fill the gap. I just don't see video games as being much more of cost than books or TV.

Mystech said:
This is actualy fairly common amoung American "supermax" prisons, of which there are a great abundance. Some inmates are kept in solitary confinement cells for up to 23 hours a day for months on end.

Yeah, those particular inmates are deemed to require that, not for punishment, but to prevent the trouble they might otherwise cause given their violent nature.

Back