Theory; Religion Will Die Away With Science and Evolution

I've myself come across intellectuals who are either religious or think religion is here to stay. Though intrigued by them, I feel they are under delusion. And they don't want their comfort zone snatched away.
its my world,i can choose to believe whatever i want..and what is wrong with not wanting your comfort zone taken away from you? that goes for everyone.

Well, we(life and matter, all that we see and observe) are significantly small amount of pollution in the vast indifferent universe. That is the truth and it's time we accept it.
i accept it..but that does not mean i have to be passive about it.

Science can speak to the emotional side,
read Stephan Hawking, his description of event horizon of a black hole, see the Hubble Deep Field images, that what we see when we look small space which seems black and empty are thousands of galaxies. You won't be moved by it? Entertaining the emotional aspect of humans doesn't mean that religion is true or that it is not evil.
science just makes the pictures..the emotions they invoke are our own..

Same could have been said about witchcraft couple of centuries ago. Today, yes the wiccans remain, but the basic practice of evil intent or evil eye have been completely eradicated with exceptions in areas with low education and awareness.
interesting..

Religion is on a path to fall.
to make that claim,there must be data..

its my world,i can choose to believe whatever i want..and what is wrong with not wanting your comfort zone taken away from you? that goes for everyone.

Sure, but the fact you derive comfort from your beliefs don't make them true.

to make that claim,there must be data.

Just google it.
Here are couple of articles, you'll find more.

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/04/05/religion-decline-across-america

http://www.peoplesworld.org/scientists-suggest-reason-for-religion-s-decline/

I've myself come across intellectuals who are either religious or think religion is here to stay. Though intrigued by them, I feel they are under delusion. And they don't want their comfort zone snatched away.

Of course, you feel that anyone who disagrees with you is "under delusion", don't you?

I think that religiosity arises far deeper in the human psyche than you seem to recognize. Religion is about as close to a human cultural universal as one can find, this side of use of a spoken natural language. Every human culture known, anywhere in the world, at any point in history for which information exists, has displayed some sort of religious belief and sensibility. The forms that these manifestations take is almost infinitely various, but some variety of religiosity always seems to be there.

That's led many thinkers to hypothesize that there's something in the human cognitive and emotional processes that generates religiosity. And if that's so, then it's highly unlikely that religion is just going to suddenly dissappear.

Religion is on a path to fall.

I don't believe that.

Conventional religion has declined in Europe and the rest of the European-derived Western world over the last 500 years. Of course, Europe's produced several new faiths such as Marxism and Naziism during that same period, which isn't an unrelated development. In East Asia, the new Marxist faith has elbowed into traditionally Confucian territory on the state-religion level (both have strong social emphases), but it isn't clear how much underlying religiosity is changing at the family and individual levels.

Religiosity is fighting back against modernity in other parts of the world. The case of Islam is impossible to ignore. And there are regions of the planet, Africa for instance, where theistic religion of Christian, Islamic and local syncretistic sorts is growing rapidly today.

So I don't think that the evidence supports the conclusion that religion is declining in any uniform way or that it is anywhere near dissappearing. What we see instead is what history has always shown us -- religiosity and its cultural products changing, evolving and adapting to ever-changing conditions.

Of course, you feel that anyone who disagrees with you is "under delusion", don't you?

So I don't think that the evidence supports the conclusion that religion is declining in any uniform way or that it is anywhere near dissappearing. What we see instead is what history has always shown us -- religiosity and its cultural products changing, evolving and adapting to ever-changing conditions.

well said the whole post..

he hasn't shown any evidence of a decline, just his opinion..

No, the specific ones who don't let themselves contemplate that good can exist without the need to skyhook. They are deluded.

I think that religiosity arises far deeper in the human psyche than you seem to recognize. Religion is about as close to a human cultural universal as one can find, this side of use of a spoken natural language. Every human culture known, anywhere in the world, at any point in history for which information exists, has displayed some sort of religious belief and sensibility. The forms that these manifestations take is almost infinitely various, but some variety of religiosity always seems to be there.

Well said, and true. And I do know that. But the need for religiosity can be and should be replaced by science (IMO); cause religion(most of it) promotes stagnation and warrants people to do stuff that otherwise would be immoral(Fact).

I don't believe that.

Conventional religion has declined in Europe and the rest of the European-derived Western world over the last 500 years. Of course, Europe's produced several new faiths such as Marxism and Naziism during that same period, which isn't an unrelated development. In East Asia, the new Marxist faith has elbowed into traditionally Confucian territory on the state-religion level (both have strong social emphases), but it isn't clear how much underlying religiosity is changing at the family and individual levels.

Religiosity is fighting back against modernity in other parts of the world. The case of Islam is impossible to ignore. And there are regions of the planet, Africa for instance, where theistic religion of Christian, Islamic and local syncretistic sorts is growing rapidly today.

:)
I said on the path, it won't go away suddenly, but eventually. Your blatantly denying of clear evidence doesn't help your cause. 'No religion' people are on the rise. Look!

well said the whole post..

he hasn't shown any evidence of a decline, just his opinion..

:D
The opinion I made after I read the evidence for it and thinking about the possibilities for the future.

No evidence you say? Boy, I feel like an evolutionary biologist trying to make creationists 'see' the evidence...
Come On!!

Religions are about a being, a supernatural Being.

Science is not about a supernatural Being.

From Wiki:

Religion is a cultural system that creates powerful and long-lasting meaning by establishing symbols that relate humanity to beliefs and values.

Applied to science:

Science is a cultural system that creates powerful and long-lasting meaning by establishing symbols that relate humanity to beliefs and values.

- which is true.

:D
The opinion I made after I read the evidence for it and thinking about the possibilities for the future.

No evidence you say? Boy, I feel like an evolutionary biologist trying to make creationists 'see' the evidence...
Come On!!

after you read the evidence? where is the link to that evidence?
prove to me the scientific way,that religion is in a state of fall.

not just opinion but with numbers, backed up with links..

i am really not trying to disagree with you as i can believe it too..but there is opinion and there is fact. common opinion is not fact.
this is an area that there must be numbers involved to be able to claim religion is on the way out..

No, the specific ones who don't let themselves contemplate that good can exist without the need to skyhook. They are deluded.

There are many things that believers and non-believers agree upon. For example, both agree that friendship is good, and murder is bad.

The question is only which explanation (the one from the believers or the one from the non-believers) makes the most sense of the values and virtues that we all agree upon.

Can the non-believers really produce such a justification for moral behavior that would make the moral behavior obligatory and justify sanctions for transgressing it?

I wrote:

Yazata said:

Praty replies:

Well said, and true. And I do know that.

Unfortunately, you snipped out my next remarks in which I said this:

Yazata said:
That's led many thinkers to hypothesize that there's something in the human cognitive and emotional processes that generates religiosity. And if that's so, then it's highly unlikely that religion is just going to suddenly dissappear.

These emerging theories from the cognitive science of religion appear to contradict your prediction that religion will soon fade away and dissappear. If they are true, then your prediction is unlikely to ever occur.

Praty said:
But the need for religiosity can be and should be replaced by science (IMO);

"Replaced by science"? How? In what social and psychological role? You seem to be proposing to turn science into a new religion, or religion-surrogate. But wouldn't that imply the distortion and perhaps even the denial of science's own unique virtues?

Presumably, what you admire about science are the things that make it different than religion. So is it really a good idea to dream of a future in which it becomes one?

cause religion(most of it) promotes stagnation and warrants people to do stuff that otherwise would be immoral(Fact).

And science gives them the physical means to do evil and does nothing to morally dissuade them.

I said on the path, it won't go away suddenly, but eventually. Your blatantly denying of clear evidence doesn't help your cause. 'No religion' people are on the rise. Look!

"No religion people are on the rise" where? Everywhere on earth uniformly? In particular countries and cultures? There are parts of the world (like Scandanavia) where theistic religion appears to be in real decline, but there are also parts of the world (like sub-Saharan Africa) where it appears to be strongly rising. It isn't entirely clear whether there's any overall global pattern, or if so what it is.

"No religion people are on the rise" defined and measured how? By lower rates of conventional church membership and participation? Or with lower rates of underlying religiosity?

In Europe (which seems inordinantly proud of its atheist credentials), church adherence and participation have indeed fallen dramatically in the last couple of centuries. But if researchers word their poll questions a little differently and ask Europeans if they believe in "a higher power" or some vague and generic religious idea like that, then positive responses tend to pop right back up.

And it must be said that Europeans have shown considerably more interest than Americans in new (and Europe-spawed) eschatological quasi-religious movements such as Marxism and Naziism. It probably isn't coincidental that conventional religious adherence hasn't fallen quite as dramatically in America as in Europe during that period, leaving Americans feeling less in need of utopian emotional substitutes.

It's still an open question whether the elimination of traditional religion would be a uniformly positive advance of empirical reason, turning everyone into intellectuals, or whether it might render broader populations psychologically volatile and unstable.

the only time religion is a problem is when ppl use it as an excuse to control others.

I don't understand why people keep arguing about this, it is a very old rivalry that should end right now. Science is the new religion, but religion is the not-yet-fulfilled culmination of science. Religion has thousands of years on the make, while science is a baby in dipers.
By the way: reincarnation does not contradict evolution. On the contrary, evolution makes no sense without reincarnation.
Religion is incomplete, it will always be incomplete; but science is new and it will eventually be united with religion. Because it will eventually hit a not understandable wall for the minds of the moment, like someting beyond our minds that science cannot understand.
With evolution, we reach higher planes of perception from our original form. And so science evolves, religion evolves.

How is science a "new religion"?
What makes you think religion is the "culmination of science"?
Why do you think evolution makes no sense without reincarnation? What evidence do you have for reincarnation?
What do you mean by "higher planes of perception"?

Wisdom_Seeker, religion is about faith in the unknown, whereas science is about the known.

Religion had its dogma carved into stone thousands of years ago, unchangeable, by definition.

Wisdom_Seeker, religion is about faith in the unknown, whereas science is about the known.

Religion had its dogma carved into stone thousands of years ago, unchangeable, by definition.

Religion does not mean "Organized, dogmatic, traditional religion". While real religion is an attitude towards life, without the need of group enforcement.
Would you say that Jesus was not religious? But he wasn't an adept to any specific traditional religion. What about the Buddha, was he non-religious? While he was not affiliated to any pre-established religious group.
Same happens with any truly religious man, he is never afiliated to a religious sect or cult.

Religion needs to be separated from dogma in order to evolve.

Back