Theism vs Religion

religion doesnt need a god. buddhism is a religion and they dont believe in a god or creator, budda was a man. but to believe in a god is a religion in itself no matter what it is, although muslim god and christianity god are the same god. theism is believing in a divine creator and atheism is the rejection of a divine creator (from my knowledge). so the difference between religion and theism is some religions dont have a god.

i dont check stuff before i comment so i may be wrong, any dumbass can appear to be a genius if they googled info before they post it.

In the thread on what defines marriage one of the posters says

Is that correct?

If believing in God is religion, what is theism?

What is the difference between theism and religion?
A religion is some organized whole involving a group of humans. Usually, but not always they are organized in part around belief in God, whose description and story they share in common.

Theism is a belief in God. You don't have to be part of a religion to believe in God. And you don't have to believe in God to be part of a religion.

If believing in God is religion, what is theism?

What is the difference between theism and religion?

Not much, they both invoke myths, superstitions and invisible sky fairies. Equally insane.

A religion is some organized whole involving a group of humans. Usually, but not always they are organized in part around belief in God, whose description and story they share in common.

Theism is a belief in God. You don't have to be part of a religion to believe in God. And you don't have to believe in God to be part of a religion.

So when we talk of "world religions" how far does that overlap with faith?

e.g.
mapworldreligions.gif

Is the concept of a godless religion possible in practice?

Not much, they both invoke myths, superstitions and invisible sky fairies. Equally insane.

Would you then say that insanity is the norm?

Would you then say that insanity is the norm?

Sam, you yourself just posted a map of faiths throughout the world. When you look at it, do you see sanity as being the norm?

Sam, you yourself just posted a map of faiths throughout the world. When you look at it, do you see sanity as being the norm?

I'm thrilled at the admission that sanity is abnormal. :rolleyes:

I'm thrilled at the admission that sanity is abnormal. :rolleyes:

Thanks for not answering the question and jumping to fallacious conclusions. Nice to see you still believe your own lies.

A religion is some organized whole involving a group of humans.
Hmm
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/religion

Then again, I'm not sure there is a universally agreed-upon definition.

the doctrine of christianity says that you can have a relationship with god through christ. and then imo the religion, with all of it's rules, practices, hierarchies, rituals, and ceremonies...the institution of religion, competes with that relationship, or acts as a substitute for it. catholics think that if their name isn't on the church's roster, they're not getting into heaven. jehovah's witnesses think they can't get there without bugging the hell out of their neighbors. all of the denominations, and their dress codes, and moral codes, and methods of worship. and then it gets political, and there's money involved, and it's a mess that i don't want to be a part of. i worship by living my life the way i do. which is a result of a belief in god and a relationship with god that's described in the bible, so if that makes me religious, so be it.

Religion is adhering to fixed set of rules, rituals and dogma.

Theism is believing that some type of god exists.

Thanks for not answering the question and jumping to fallacious conclusions. Nice to see you still believe your own lies.

If your assertion is that following a religion is insanity then the reasoning that sanity is abnormal is not fallacious.

Well peaches, why don't you take a dekko at that map above and fill in the normal distribution curve with the approximate percentage of all the nonreligious, nontheist people who are sane as per your opinion in this graph?

statpb.gif

Although, they do say that there is a fine line between genius and madness so it all depends on which side of the line you think you are.

On the other hand, you could do something truly unusual and opine on the OP instead

re·li·gion –noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

From the above, religion is specifically attached to ritual or common sets of beliefs, i.e., to dogma. Belief in God can be a part of religion, but it by itself is not enough to be equal to religion in and of itself.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

From the above, religion is specifically attached to ritual or common sets of beliefs, i.e., to dogma. Belief in God can be a part of religion, but it by itself is not enough to be equal to religion in and of itself.
So you'd contend that one's conscience/ personal ethics is a matter of dogma? ;)

I didn't consider that one too heavily, given it's informal example at the end. They're not talking about spiritual religion there, they are talking about the use of the word religion as a description of dogged attachment to something.

For instance, I religiously shower every day before going to work.

edit: thought I did respond to this issue in my edit of the response I gave to the original posing of the theism=religion proposal:

"Belief in $diety makes you spiritual (i.e., belief in 1 or more non-tangible spirits), but religion requires a dogma. If you believe in $diety, but follow no dogma, I think you can fairly be said to be non-religious.

edit: I would say also, however, that if you don't follow a standard religion but create your own dogma (Truth) from which you cannot divert, you may be alone in your religion of one, but you are still in one - and are therefor religious. "
http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2593108&postcount=306

No probs.
But, given Lori's (for one) multitude of references to god (and her relationship with "him") etc I'd certainly say her belief (and "practise") qualifies as religion under the definition given.

Back