The wave function and determinism

A PhD in physics... are you serious James. I always had you more as a ''math'' man to be honest. No seriously, is it physics you hold a PhD in?

It actually doesn't matter whether I hold a PhD or not, and if I do it doesn't particular matter what it is in. Science isn't done on the basis of argument from authority.

I prefer that my level of competence in physics, maths and other subjects be judged on the basis of what I write here, not on what I may claim my formal qualifications are.

I might also say that it is easy to lie on the internet about one's qualifications. I could tell you I have a PhD in Fine Arts, a Diploma of Education, a double-major in Science and Architecture, and a Certificate of General Greatness, and there's really not much you could do to verify or disprove that. It's the same with you. I can't verify or disprove that you have a Diploma of Physics. I don't know your real name; I don't know where you studied (if you did). And you're in the same position regarding me.

There are a couple of people here who have actually published their real names and have linked to papers they have published. As for the rest of us who hide behind screen names, there's little point in doing battle of the qualifications.

If you're interested, I assert that I have formal university-level qualifications in two unrelated fields from one of the top-ranked universities in Australia. Not that it matters.

See that is the same position I held for... well like ever. It never made a difference whether I held this or that.

I bet you are not even privvy on how many of the ''clique-group'' actually asked me this on a weekly basis... no?

I care not for anyone who have published their names under what. I treat everyone (well I try) with the same respect. If they don't treat me as such, then why should I?

as for your fields, congratulations. For my own understanding, I never held you any less.

See that is the same position I held for... well like ever. It never made a difference whether I held this or that.

I bet you are not even privvy on how many of the ''clique-group'' actually asked me this on a weekly basis... no?

The difference is that I often see you posting things such as "I have studied physics for 9 years. I have a Diploma etc. etc." In other words, you want people to accept what you say on the basis of some presumed authority from your qualifications.

Have you ever seen me posting "I have a PhD in Gravitational Lensing so you'd better listen to me"? Or "I have been studying quantum consciousness in my garage for 15 years, so I know all about quantum mechanics"?

as for your fields, congratulations.

To some extent, qualifications are just an academic hurdle to clear to get you where you want to go. If you're not going to work in research or academia, you probably don't need a PhD. A formal qualification is, in a sense, just ticking a box to say to potential employers "Look! I can do this. Other people have verified it!"

Let me give you another example. I constantly see students coming into university and discussing their end-of-school rankings or grade point averages or whatever they have in whichever country you're talking about. And then, two weeks after they start semester 1 of first year, none of that matters any more. Those grades just got them into their course. Now they're on a level playing field with everybody else who got similar or better grades at school. And none of their new teachers give a damn how they did at school.

Why has someone else mistaken the same thing as you have now?

I said I have studied consciousness coupled with physics... This is different James, very different!

I am not dishonest in this sense. I have studied any material which involves physics and consciousness over the last 9 years, in fact, if you deny this it would be surprising since one of Reiku's fav. choices was consciousness, and if anyone spoke the name of Fred Alan Wolf, who actually led forward modern science, where shown the deep end!!!

I have a PhD in un-consciousness.

I propose that consciousness does not collapse anything, but props a lot of stuff up.

I further propose that observation collapses the wave function.

I can imagine a variation on Schroedinger's cat where the observer is unconscious during the whole ordeal, only to be awakened by the stench of a rotten kitty (no actual animals were harmed in this thought experiment).

Connect the dots, please.

Which dot's... with all this behaviour, is strong evidence that even a human is not really an observer, by right lol

Which dot's... with all this behaviour, is strong evidence that even a human is not really an observer, by right lol

Now there's a stone unturned!

Bonzo the chimp collapses the wave function! I think this can get traction. And it's testable!

The state of a system, indeed any system, whether that be described as being tangible ''outside'' or even the construction of the incorporeal inside, that of subjective experience should be described by a state vector, given as $$|\Psi>$$. The state of a vector is the overall description of the possibilities that may arise when a collapse of the wave function has appeared. The collapse of the wave function happens upon a measurement. Observable's are resultant from measurements. Observables in the language of quantum mechanics are Hermitian Matrices which means it will produce a real number.

The definition, in totally mathematical terms right now, is given by the following.

$$<a| M^{\dagger}|b>^{*}$$

where the <a| is acting like a complex conjugate, in fact, this has been complex conjugated where all rows and columns have been interchanged. Incidently, M on <a| will give you a vector, but M and <a| after this onto |b> will give you a number. It won't give you a vector in this case, it's just a number.

So you get from $$<b|M|a>$$ to the expression $$<a| M^{\dagger}|b>^{*}$$ by complex conjugating it. In fact, if it is Hermitian you can now state it as

$$<b|M|a> = <a| M|b>^{*}$$

where we have just erased the conjugation dagger sign. This just means it is equal to it's Hermitian conjugate. This is the true definition of the meaning of Hermitian.

Now the wave function, the ''configuration'' of states of a system describes all possible solutions which may or may not occur for a system. A photon bouncing of a mirror does not take one path alone, in fact, will take every angle possible to account for the wave function which smears every possibility over a given region. Given a large enough region, you may even call it infinite.

And now, given all this information, I ask, what is a set of possibilities, if not the analog of such a wave function? In fact, as history goes, when phsyicists realized that a wave function existed, they believed it was a product of the mind, simply, just a way for us to catalogue the events. This subjective idea of the wave function soon diminished and we realized atleast in principle, there was something physical behind this [1]. However, if we take the basic idea of the wave function seriously, then it should not be bound to physical objects alone. That even subjective experiences may be subject to such a phenomenon as well.

Suppose that every experience is ruled by a wave of possibilities, given as $$\Psi$$. This description will state that before anything has been resolved by the action of a human being, or maybe even by thought, the wave function itself will be spread among many different possibilities.

The probability of finding any one of those experiences, or thoughts or actions result in a collapse of the wave function, traditionally given by the probability postulate as

$$\mathbf{Tr} \rho = \mathcal{1}$$

The density matrix here, in case anyone jumps down my throat, is given by the unit matric which will give a Hermitian Operator, which is by definition as we have covered, an observable. The trace is simply the sum over all possible Eigenstates given as $$\lambda_i$$ where $$i = (1,2...n)$$.

In quantum mechanics, rather than applying matrix mechanics, we will find the probability of a system to be

$$\int_{\Omega} |\psi|^2$$

Where $$\Omega$$ is our boundary [2].

The real crux of this arguement, is that consciousness, the acts of consciousness or/and the conscious acts of decisions are subject to collapses of the wave function. You could have the choice of turning two playing cards over that have been placed in front of you. Those cards will be represented by a wave function:

$$|\Psi> = \frac{1}{2}i|A> + \frac{1}{2}|B>$$

This will, not in a physical sense, but a subjective sense describe the possibilities that may arise from either state which depend on their orientation to each state in the complex plane. Upon measurement, of either playing card in the subjective subliminal sense will yeild the value upon the measurement of either card to account for the collapse of the wave function postulate.

So, it can easily be shown that somehow probabilities and the wave function generally describe the actions of choice and will have perhaps massive implications to the philosophical arguements between, determinism vs indeterminism.

[1] - I provided evidence recently that the wave function was physical when pressed by alphanumeric.

[2] - In dirac notation $$<\psi_n|\psi_m> = 0$$ unless psi_m and psi_n correspond to the same eigenvectors.

My idea might not have been as crazy as one might have thought. It seems that Henry Stapp and his collegues share similar contentions but providing as well a mechanism, a purely quantum mechanical explanation.

The zeno effect might be the next revolutionary idea for consciousness.

Henry Stapp in his book ''Mindful Universe'' actually seems to share a common idea with me. I have stated in the past that the ability to have choice is in fact analogous to having a superposition of possibilities - it is only when we make a decision on something does a collapse of the wave function happen. Henry stapp believes that the quantum zeno effect is the method in which the brain uses a superposition when in attention. Interestingly, I had not known of his model till now, so if his conclusions are right, then I have drawn similar conclusions independantly.

I decided on my own contentions when I decided to view the many choices an individual could have as being the same as having a superpositioning of different states. The importance of Stapp's conclusions is that he has given a quantum mechanical mechanism which involves our perception. He believes it is this phenomenon which brings about the conscious will of change.
Attention has probably been best described by William James in 1890 in his textbook Principles of Psychology

''Everyone knows what attention is. It is the taking possession by the mind, in clear and vivid form, of one out of what seem several simultaneously possible objects or trains of thought. Focalization, concentration, of consciousness are of its essence. It implies withdrawal from some things in order to deal effectively with others, and is a condition which has a real opposite in the confused, dazed, scatterbrained state which in French is called distraction, and Zerstreutheit in German.''
It is this, taking the possession by the mind out of several possible options which makes the analog for my arguement of choices existing side-by-side in superposition which there must be a collapse of the wave function before any one of these choices arise. I think it seems likely that if there was going to be a quantum framework of consciousness, one should begin with like principle's to create the basis of such a theory. The bells ringing with the principle's of consciousness often correlate well with the principles of quantum mechanics. I think they are often overlooked however because consciousness is generally unclear or it might not seem obvious at first how quantum mechanics combines with the description of consciousness, if it even needs one.

Back