The Universe - Yet Another Search for the Creator

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Source: Time
Link: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101041129-785349,00.html
Title: "Cosmic Conundrum"
Date: November 22, 2004

Dealing with cranks is an occupational hazard for most scientists, but it's especially bad for physicists and astronomers. Those who study the cosmos for a living tend to be bombarded with letters, calls and emails from would-be geniuses who insist they have refuted Einstein or devised a new theory of gravity or disproved the Big Bang. The telltale signs of crankdom are so consistent — a grandiose theory, minimal credentials, a messianic zeal — that scientists can usually spot them a mile off.

That's why the case of James Gardner is so surprising. He seems to fit the profile perfectly: he's a Portland, Ore., attorney, not a scientist, who argues--are you ready for this?--that our universe might have been manufactured by a race of superintelligent extraterrestrial beings. That is exactly the sort of idea that would normally have experts rolling their eyes, blocking e-mails and hoping the author won't corner them at a lecture or a conference ....

.... It's not that anyone actually buys Gardner's theory. He admits it's "farfetched," and even those scientists who find it stimulating think it's wildly improbable. But it does have one thing in its favor. The biocosm theory is an attempt, albeit a highly speculative one, to solve what just might be science's most profound mystery: why the universe, against all odds, is so remarkably hospitable to life ....

.... The proposition that the cosmos is — against all odds — perfectly tuned for life is known as the anthropic principle. And while it has been getting a lot of attention lately, there is no consensus on how seriously to take it. Some scientists are confident that there is a law that dictates the values of those key cosmic numbers, and when we find it, the anthropic problem will go away. Others think the answer is even simpler: if the numbers were any different than they are, we wouldn't be around to argue about them — case closed. "The anthropic principle," complains Fermilab astrophysicist Rocky Kolb, "is the duct tape of cosmology. It's not beautiful or elegant, and it sure as hell is not going to be permanent."

A vocal sector of the religious community, on the other hand, has seized on the anthropic principle as further evidence that God created the universe just for us--adding intellectual support to the so-called intelligent-design movement, which believes that the staggering complexity of nature can be explained only by assuming that some higher intelligence had a hand in designing it. Over the past several years, pitched battles have been fought in school boards in Ohio, Kansas, Georgia and Montana and, just weeks ago, in Dover County, Pa., over whether to give intelligent design and Darwin's theory of evolution equal time in classrooms.

Time

So I'm confused: does Intelligent Design take a step up into science, or does Ufology and the EBE phenomenon move firmly into the realm of religion?

One more quick quote from the article:

Last year a Stanford theorist named Shamit Kachru set out with some colleagues to calculate just how many different universes one particular version of string theory could produce. The number he came up with was a 1 followed by something like 100 zeros--roughly a hundred billion billion times the number of atoms in our universe. It was an answer that didn't please anyone. Says Max Tegmark, a theorist at the University of Pennsylvania: "People have tried very hard to get rid of these multiple universes and failed. They just don't like the concept; they think it's weird. And they're right. But don't we already have good evidence by now that the cosmos really is weird?" To Einstein's celebrated musing about whether God had a choice in creating the universe, the answer seems to be a resounding yes: all sorts of universes are possible.

Time

I guess I just find the intelligence aspect extraneous; perhaps I ought to read Gardner's book--it may be that the EBE aspect merely anchors more vital and useful aspects of the theory.

But I would ask of any such theory the same I ask of God-theories: show the creator.

Showing the effects is generally entertaining and occasionally enlightening, but showing the source is an altogether different issue.

In the meantime, what would happen if God turned out to be a froglike alien from the nether reaches of an Elder Universe? I mean, even I say God will prove to be something different than anything we've imagined so far. But a wizened frog-shaman from the Asylum Planet Miskatonic in the Fourteenth Universe of Sothoth?

Would the "meaning of life" necessarily respect the will of the frog-shaman?

Notes:
Lemonick, Michael D., and J. Madeleine Nash. "Cosmic Conundrum". Time (www.time.com), November 22, 2004. See http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101041129-785349,00.html

tiassa said:
I would ask of any such theory the same I ask of God-theories: show the creator.
Showing the effects is generally entertaining and occasionally enlightening, but showing the source is an altogether different issue.
In the meantime, what would happen if God turned out to be a froglike alien from the nether reaches of an Elder Universe?
Theists are the last people on earth who want to "show the creator". I suspect that, if a creator is ever found, theists will be shocked and disappointed - whether it is your frog-god, or the spitting image of Charlton Heston.

Atheists, on the other hand, are more likely to react with curiosity and awe. To an atheist, finding God would be like falling in love for the first time, when you didn't even think it was possible.

The creator/god's reaction, on the other hand....
To the theist: "What? You thought I created the earth in SIX DAYS? You thought I wanted you to beat up homosexuals? What the hell is wrong with you?"
To the atheist: "Nice to meet you. Sorry I didn't introduce myself sooner."

Agnostics might say that but certainly not atheists.

To say there is no God is the flip of saying God speaks to you--a fundamentalist statement of fact.

Muhlenberg said:
Agnostics might say that but certainly not atheists.
To say there is no God is the flip of saying God speaks to you--a fundamentalist statement of fact.
That's a simplistic attitude.
There's a whole spectrum from theist to atheist. Every theist is not a fundamentalist and the line between atheist and agnostic is a thin one too. (Ask WesMorris. :) )

No thin line at all. Atheists make a categorical statement: there is no God. That is as fundamentalist as one can get.

Agnostics may be put in two groups. A fundamentalist agnostic would make the categorical statement man cannot know if there is a God or not. As with atheists, there is simply no way of knowing if that is true or not. It is the same mind set which claims the Bible is literally true.

A more liberal agnostic would simply say he or she doesn't know.

tiassa,

I still don't see why the anthropic principle continues to be raised as if it is worthy of consideration. Isn't it simply a logical fallacy? It seems to be the same issue as having baked a cake and then expressing astonishment that the baking dish is the same shape as the cake. It isn't that the universe has been designed to suit life but that life is a result of that particular set of circumstances. Had the universe been different then presumably life as we know it would not have arisen and something else would have resulted, perhaps a very different type of life.

This principle seems to endure because of those who perceive life and especially humans as something special.

Muhlenberg said:
A fundamentalist agnostic would make the categorical statement man cannot know if there is a God or not. As with atheists, there is simply no way of knowing if that is true or not.

But I was speculating about an atheist's or a theist's reaction if a creator/god was discovered.

In reality, of course you are right. But in the hypothetical situation which I described, in which the theist and atheist are confronted face-to-face with the creator/god, they both do know that it is true.

I was merely suggesting that the theist would probably be more surprized by the reality of God than the atheist would.

Muhlenberg,

Welcome to sciforums.

Atheists make a categorical statement: there is no God. That is as fundamentalist as one can get.

That's known as strong atheism and is untypical of most atheists. You'll find that most atheists adopt the more rational aproach known as weak atheism - i.e. an absense of belief in theistic propositions.

No thin line at all. Atheists make a categorical statement: there is no God. That is as fundamentalist as one can get.

I wouldn't call an atheist any more fundamentalist than I would call you fundamentalist if you said "there are no leprechauns".

A line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise we could just go round claiming everyone on the planet is a fundamentalist. That line distinctly separates reality from fantasy. Dragons, little green men, flying pigs, fairies and gods all belong on the other side of the line, and until such time where there is evidence to show existence of these beings, that is where they must remain as a demand of sanity.

Everyone.. you, me, every human on the planet believes there isn't a god. They might very well believe there is one specific god of their choice, but they will happily deny all the others. I doubt you believe in Tiamat, Odin, Zeus, Ra, Abellio, Apollo, etc - and so by your own claims, that would make you a fundamentalist.

Cris said:
tiassa,

I still don't see why the anthropic principle continues to be raised as if it is worthy of consideration. Isn't it simply a logical fallacy? It seems to be the same issue as having baked a cake and then expressing astonishment that the baking dish is the same shape as the cake. It isn't that the universe has been designed to suit life but that life is a result of that particular set of circumstances. Had the universe been different then presumably life as we know it would not have arisen and something else would have resulted, perhaps a very different type of life.

This principle seems to endure because of those who perceive life and especially humans as something special.

Hi Cris,

You still believe in accidents, i presume. ;)

I too would have bought this idea, but the theory of big-crunches following big-bangs is ruled out recently, so this 'accident' (current life form) is too exceptional after the lone big-bang with trillions and trillions of possibile states of the universe.

If tiassa's frog-man is indeed the creator he would have made the frogs to rule the world, man would be a lesser pet. :D In any case, ID does not necessarily support mono-theistic god but gods.

Cris...I suspect weak atheism is more common than strong but it is certainly not the most vocal. Virtually all the atheists I read do not simply reject theistic propositions-- they are actively hostile to them. Sure you are familiar with the overheated rhetoric.

Interesting point you raise. There are those, Karl Marx and many of his followers for instance, who, if one looks deeply, call themselves atheists but do not deny in reality there is a God. They deny theistic propostions and they deny God is good.

everneo said:
... this 'accident' (current life form) is too exceptional ...
Do we know that?
What if there were a million other inhabited planets in the universe? And what if the billions of other life forms were substantially different from us? Would that stop all this talk about our "uniqueness" and how the universe was fine-tuned just for little-old us?
If tiassa's frog-man is indeed the creator he would have made the frogs to rule the world, man would be a lesser pet.
1. It's a bit arrogant to suggest that man "rules the world" and that frogs are somehow "lesser".
2. The creation "in the image of God" might mean more than just a superficial visual image. If I am made in the superficial image of God, then god must be paunchy, balding and short-sighted.
In any case, ID does not necessarily support mono-theistic god but gods.
Ha! Show me a polytheistic IDist.

Muhlenberg said:
There are those...[who]...call themselves atheists but do not deny in reality there is a God. They deny theistic propostions and they deny God is good.
Well, all the evidence is that if there is a god it isn't good from a human perspective. Agreed, we're biased, but the bias comes from being human.

everneo said:
so this 'accident' (current life form) is too exceptional after the lone big-bang with trillions and trillions of possibile states of the universe.
I rolled N, X sided dice and got 32.

What an unbelievably improbably result; the only explanation is that there must have been a divine influence (or perhaps that of an alien frog) for such an improbable result to occur!

Anyone see the error with this reasoning?

The problem is that we don't know how many 'possible states' there are. We don't know how many Universes there are or the parameters of their occurrence. In short, you cannot even begin to calculate the probability much less assert anything about the cause.

~Raithere

The questions of "who or what created the universe" will never be justifiedly answered, no one has a clue, many theories will come and old ones will die out, hopefully the god theory will die out, it's been destroying humanity for several millenia. Once the humans are rid of mysticism the human race will move forward by leaps and bounds beyond imagination, we perhaps will accumulate the knowledge to start another universe of our own creation.

Godless.

sideshowbob said:
But I was speculating about an atheist's or a theist's reaction if a creator/god was discovered.
my first question to the creator would be;"who created you"?

Godless: The questions of "who or what created the universe" will never be justifiedly answered, no one has a clue, many theories will come and old ones will die out, hopefully the god theory will die out, it's been destroying humanity for several millenia. Once the humans are rid of mysticism the human race will move forward by leaps and bounds beyond imagination, we perhaps will accumulate the knowledge to start another universe of our own creation.
M*W: Hey, Godless -- Glad to see that you got settled and are back on the forum. You've missed all the flooding we've had here, and there's more rain to come this week!

I have just been reading about the Sumerians and the ancient texts that tell of a race of people who lived on the planet Nabiru who came to earth about 600,000 years or so ago and inbred with the humanoids of the day. The Sumerian texts talk of the "sons of god(s)" and names them (yes, plural). They talk about the creation of the world and the great flood of gilgamesh. These stories were copied by the Egyptians and the Hebrews, and probably other civilizations as well. I think if one was looking to read about our creation on Earth, they should first read the Sumerian texts since they were the first written stories about our creation, and they go much further into detail than Genesis. Then, again, everything is subject to interpretation. In any event, there is no way one can say that there is only one true god.

Hello M*W. I would tell you a little secret, but go here were I introduce the end of my vacation from Sci.

As to the topic on hand, I recall reading summerian texts as a child, "I was weird" anyhow I used to belive such thing as alien race visiting our human ancestors and breading with us lowly humans and such. However now as an adult I've yet to find any evidence of such assertions, this by no means am I cuting you down or anything, but I did read something to that effect. It had pictures of ancient drawings on rocks, and amulets and the such it was very interesting. I've also seen shows in Nova on this subject.

Fact is we are all aliens, M*W we are part of the cosmos. A cosmic particle could perhaps had impacted earth via a comet, and this cosmic particle could have been a one cell lifeform, thus in billion of years evolving to plants, and latters to animals and dinos, and finally to us.

Godless.

Cris

Cris said:

I still don't see why the anthropic principle continues to be raised as if it is worthy of consideration. Isn't it simply a logical fallacy?

When one runs out the implications of the principle to various values, it apparently becomes useful in the finite arena of politics.

If one derives certain consequences from the idea of the Universe being perfectly attuned to life as a deliberate outcome, one can assert all manner of political "realities" that are much more relevant to life than the actual existence or non-existence of God or an Intelligent Designer for our Universe. Political economy, for instance, becomes a dangerously mucky field.

The relationship between the creationist assertion of the anthropic principle and the economic is not well-defined inasmuch as the one feeds the other while the other fertilizes the earth for the one, but exactly how is something that might require a trip to the Philosophy forum.

Nonetheless, on both occasions, it would seem to be a bulwark against introspective insecurity:
Theistic - Humanity is elevated to the appearance of vital importance in relation to the Universe
Economic - Humanity surrenders to perceived conditions and actively works against evolution​
The "atheistic" proposition that the Intelligent Designer is an alien lifeform is little more than a cosmetic changeover, much like the transition from Christianity to Faery Tradition. Or, to quote--of all people--Jon Bon Jovi ... well, okay, I won't.

But just as one might take comfort from a theistic-anthropic in awarding humanity far more importance than it merits compared to the Universe at large, so does one take comfort in forgiving their own sins, appealing to the "fact" that the way things are is the only way they can be. Of course, ask those folks if they're predestined or otherwise on strings and they'll do their best Pinocchio.

The anthropic principle has diverse values applied within diverse insecurities. People keep it around, despite its fallacy, because it helps them think they feel better.

Kind of like drugs, now that I think about it.

It seems to be the same issue as having baked a cake and then expressing astonishment that the baking dish is the same shape as the cake.

A roundabout vagary has me thinking of a bit that I think comes from Douglas Adams, about sheep being surprised every morning when the sun rises. And that, of course, brings the idea to mind of the Shepherd, and, well, suddenly we're back to religion. There's a thin parallel there that remains intangible to me, sort of an artistic irony.

Life is performance art. It isn't actually what's real, or what you know, but whether or not you're convincing. Certainly a tragic state of affairs, but that commentary changes my perception none.

It isn't that the universe has been designed to suit life but that life is a result of that particular set of circumstances. Had the universe been different then presumably life as we know it would not have arisen and something else would have resulted, perhaps a very different type of life.

This is why I don't argue with phrases like "We are made in God's image," except for the unfortunate fact that I might be the only one who sees it that way; most go atheistic by the time they reach that point. As Diderot said, "Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths".

This principle seems to endure because of those who perceive life and especially humans as something special

I believe that's the primary reason. The diverse applications I noted above are slightly more specialized. For instance, I never would have conceived of arguing the anthropic principle to justify an economic paradigm, despite my high opinion of Max Weber's work. (Or, perhaps because of my high opinion of Weber, I found such a justification somehow ridiculous, though I won't claim that as historical fact.)

One must be generally interested in a given discipline before one generally gets around to spinning the anthropic detail; it's not as readily suggestive on more obscure paths than it is at the common level of humanity and the unanswered (unanswerable?) questions that haunt the human endeavor.

So for most, the tacit assumption that humanity is somehow at the center of the Universal experience generally comes specifically to highlight the priority accorded humanity in a given worldview.

Sideshowbob

Sideshowbob said:

Theists are the last people on earth who want to "show the creator". I suspect that, if a creator is ever found, theists will be shocked and disappointed - whether it is your frog-god, or the spitting image of Charlton Heston.

Yeah, that's kind of how it goes.

Atheists, on the other hand, are more likely to react with curiosity and awe. To an atheist, finding God would be like falling in love for the first time, when you didn't even think it was possible.

Maybe. You might be a little loose with the metaphor, there. But at what point are you describing? Skepticism would greet any assertion of having found God, and for some to stand in God's presence wouldn't be enough; by the time they figured it out, it would have ceased mattering.

As to the creator/god's reaction, there would be little or none; after all, the creator won't be surprised when the expected comes about.

There is one possible admission of fallibility, though: "I didn't think y'all had it in you."

(A late note re: polytheistic intelligent design - The "creationist" intelligent-design theory arises of necessity resulting from the myriad implications of monotheism. Nonetheless, polytheistic creationism does exist; to that end, I recommend Barbara Sproul's Primal Myths: Creation Myths Around the World. Viewed separately from the American-Christian "creationism" debate whence the phrase "intelligent design" arises, theism in general asserts existence a result of deity, and from there it's a matter of whether or not one believes the deity's actions can be explained in terms relevant to this Universe.)

Everneo

This interests me greatly:

Everneo said:
If tiassa's frog-man is indeed the creator he would have made the frogs to rule the world, man would be a lesser pet.

Why would the frog-shaman have made frogs to rule the world? Or, as with Adams' mice, who says they don't?

Imagine thresholds:
• If you had knowledge of your body, and knew with certainty that the issue of whether or not you would die of lung cancer rested on this one particular cigarette that would theoretically cross a threshold of no return, would you smoke it? Very few smokers can honestly say, outright, "No". Perhaps at the time, they would choose life, but .... However, today, I would ask you to look at the cigarette. Think of the factory that made it, the hands that inspected it and bundled it for packing. Think of the trucker who drove it out from the distribution center, the clerk that sold you the pack at 7-11. All of these things and all of these people play a role in this decision inasmuch as this cigarette, this bundle of matter, and not any other, is the point upon which the result depends. Certes, all other cigarettes in the past had their role, but just like it seems hopeless with nobody on, two strikes and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, is it really over until that last strike is thrown? This pitcher, this physical ball, this air displaced by the ball, that air that makes it bounce about just a little on its path. Or what of balance itself? To put a beam across a stand and let it tip and fall. Perhaps when you set the beam in place, you saw it jiggle a little because it was uneven, but the beam still holds in place. Where along that exterior, which molecule or unit could you mark? Where is that point of no return, that difference between the beam tipping out and holding its place? Where does gravity overcome friction?

• Similarly, if everything in the Universe is interrelated, is there a point upon which its order hinges? What if it's that rock? Or that piece of trash in the wind? What must happen at that threshold for the whole Universe to come undone?​
Which is just a long way of reiterating, "Who says the frogs don't?"

Raithere

Anyone see the error with this reasoning?

Snowflakes.

No, that's not descriptive of an error in the reasoning, but rather a parallel argument I keep near at hand.

Everneo,

You still believe in accidents, i presume.

Accident implies a mistake or an error, so no. If you mean did life develop without design or intention then for the moment there is no evidence to show this wasn’t the case.

I too would have bought this idea, but the theory of big-crunches following big-bangs is ruled out recently,
How recently? What’s your reference? The latest thinking is that the cyclic theory is now the most likely now that dark matter/energy have entered the mix – this as yet undiscovered energy/matter tends to rule out infinite expansion.

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/steinhardt02/steinhardt02_index.html

so this 'accident' (current life form) is too exceptional after the lone big-bang with trillions and trillions of possibile states of the universe.

Why is it too exceptional? Life is a mess so I wouldn’t call it exceptional.

Back