The Universal Genetic Code Is Not Universal

valich

Registered Senior Member
The genetic code is not universal, even in non-mitochondrial genomes. The specific relationships between amino acids and codons are now proving to be variable in many taxa and a pattern is emerging that many organisms do not use the standard genetic code. It was once thought that any changes in the genetic code would be lethal to the organism, because if one codon changed, then all similar codons in the entire organism's genome would have to change simultaneously. Therefore, exceptions to the code that emerged during the 80's quite surprized everyone.

"Although the majority of the organisms use the same genetic code to translate DNA, several variants have been described in a wide range of organisms, both in nuclear and organellar systems, many of them corresponding to metazoan mitochondria. These variants are usually found by comparative sequence analyses, either conducted manually or with the computer. Basically, when a particular codon in a query-species is linked to positions for which a specific amino acid is consistently found in other species, then that particular codon is expected to translate as that specific amino acid." http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:16845034

These are minor (though interesting) variants on the basic code, involving differences in duplicates and frequencies, etc.

AFAIK there is no instance of even two codons actually switching roles, for example - let alone the random assortment of roles that would be expected from denial of evolutionary relationship.

Oh yes there is. We have about twenty examples of codons switching roles. We also have an example of a 4-letter codon coding for an amino acid and a probable 21st amino acid necessary amongst a species. Evolution in action.

This is old news (as mentioned in the OP). Changes of codon usage is the result of changes during evolution from the basic genetic code and clearly are not the result of different basic genetic codes (from different ancestors, for example).
For instance, in fungi certain species within a genus encode different amino acids (leucine vs. serine) with the same codon. This is clearly the result of modifications from the same basic codon usage.
Organisms usually use (redundant) codons with different frequencies and those less used ones are usually more subject to mutations.
In fact, it only takes small mutations to create an aberrant codon usage. The fact that all organisms possess the same basic one, is a clear indication of the high conservation of this code.

In the standard genetic code 48 of the 64 words are identical in all living organisms, but 16 are known to vary across the diversity of living things. In our own mitochondria, for instance, 4 of the 64 words have different meanings from the "standard" code. In common molds, for example, the DNA sequence "UGA" is translated into the amino acid tryptophan. In the standard code, it's a "stop" signal. Other examples include: CUG is translated into serine instead of leucine in Candida; the loss of the AUA isoleucine codon from Micrococcus; the use of UAA and UAG for glutamine in ciliated protozoans and green algae; the use of UGA for tryptophan in Mycoplasma; the use of UGA as a supressor codon specifying tryptophan in bacteria; the use of UGA for cysteine in the ciliate Euplotes; the use of UGA to encode selenocysteine (SeC); the loss of the CGG arginine codon in Spiroplasma; the loss of the AGA arginine codon in Micrococcus; and the use of GCA as a resume codon in ssrA RNA.

Over 30 novel amino acids have been genetically encoded in response to unique triplet and quadruplet codons including fluorescent, photoreactive, and redox-active amino acids, glycosylated amino acids, and amino acids with keto, azido, acetylenic, and heavy-atom containing side chains. By removing the limitations imposed by the existing 20 amino acid code, it should be possible to generate proteins and perhaps entire organisms with new or enhanced properties (Wang and Schultz, 2005).

Charon Z's post sumarrizes what I am getting at, that the Standard Genetic Code has evolved, and that the Universal Genetic Code is not universal unless you take into acount all the variants. So I'm trying to establish a new framework to address this: past, present and future. There is opposition to this because most molecular biologists equate the Universal Genetic Code with the Standard Genetic Code, the canonical 20 amino acid code, and view it, as Watson and Crick originally stated, as "frozen."

valich said:
In the standard genetic code 48 of the 64 words are identical in all living organisms, but 16 are known to vary across the diversity of living things. {etc}
I did not make myself clear: that was what I was including among what I referred to as minor variants, borrowing duplicate or unused codons for another amino, etc

- by switching roles, I meant exactly that: a pair of codons with swapped roles. The point is that borrowing duplicate or unused codons is fairly easy, evolutionarily, but an actual switch would imply something considerably more significant.

There is opposition to this because most molecular biologists equate the Universal Genetic Code with the Standard Genetic Code, the canonical 20 amino acid code, and view it, as Watson and Crick originally stated, as "frozen."

Nonsense. The basic code is used as standard, deviations are always indicated.

CharonZ: How can you say it is "nonsense" when we have over 30 more amino acids beyond the standard 20: codons translated differently, changed, evolved, and we are able to create new pathways within an organism to by introducing new enzymes to develop more than the standard 20, and thus they grow and develop inside the organism and develop and adapt to the environment differently. This is evolution in action.

Your elaboration is extremeley appreciated.

I did not make myself clear: that was what I was including among what I referred to as minor variants, borrowing duplicate or unused codons for another amino, etc

- by switching roles, I meant exactly that: a pair of codons with swapped roles. The point is that borrowing duplicate or unused codons is fairly easy, evolutionarily, but an actual switch would imply something considerably more significant.

Your wording is vague and imprecise: "borrow duplicates"? What does that mean? "Switching roles"? Yes, and the underlying mechanism is? As you state, the evolutionary mechanism is fairly easy. And I emphasize evolutionary.

CharonZ: How can you say it is "nonsense".....

:rolleyes:

What CharonZ was labelling as nonsense was not the fact there can be deviations from the standard genetic code. That is not in dispute. He was labelling as nonsense your spurious conclusions that there is “opposition” to this idea and that scientists view the standard genetic code as “frozen”. There isn’t and they don’t. He was labelling as nonsense your idea that you have identified an area that requires you to “…establish a new framework to address this”. No such “Valich framework” is required.

Once again, you’ve applied the standard Valich modus operandi – choose a topic, apply an inadequate understanding to it, misinterpret it as a result, support misunderstanding with Google searches.

It would be helpful and mature if you could refrain from labelling or stereotyping people. I do not have a standard modus operani, my thoughts and consciousness evolve as do my ideas and thought patterns. I use a wide variety of sources - basically whatever I can get my hands on - including textbooks, journals, communication with professors, colleagues, associates, and experts in the field that I sometimes personally contact, learned and acquired knowledge through courses, research, and experimentation - mine and others - as well as the web.

I'm still not certain what CharonZ is calling nonsense, but I know he has the capacity, experience and knowledge to elaborate. That is what I asked.

I think the standard code is capable of evolving, and that it is. So in this sense, the universal code is not entirely "universal." In the sense that the standard code is applied to interchange amino acid coding and used in biotechnology, it is universal. The majority of the "non-standard codes" arize from variations (evolution of) tRNA. Selenocysteine is now considered the 21st amino acid, and pyrrolysine the 22nd. They are created artificially by inserting a polymerase to change the metabolic protein synthesis pathway and this has been done successfully in E. coli and other bacterium with the goal of observing how the organism evolves and adapts with its new genetic makeup. Arthropods have been used to create a new genetic code that translates the codon AGG as lysine, instead of serine (as in the invertebrate mitochondrial genetic code) or arginine (as in the standard genetic code) with the consequent being that several events of parallel evolution of the genetic code have been discovered in the arthropods in which the AGG codon then was reassigned between serine and lysine (Abascal et al., 2006).

Other research efforts that I have read focus on expanding the genetic code by inserting an artificial fifth base. For example, Romesberg and colleagues at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla (he is very well-known for his research in this field) have designed a fifth base, called 3-fluorobenzene (3FB), that pairs with itself through a new polymerase enzyme that recognizes the 3FB, latches on to it, and incorporates it into a replicating strand of DNA. Instead of just the having the standard base pairs "G-C" and "A-T," a new third pairing occurs: "3FB-3FB" between two unnatural bases. To improve replication, they create their own polymerase able to replicate the unnatural DNA. The process they used is called amber suppression whereby a stop codon's function is changed so that it now codes for the unnatural amino acid using an entirely new pathway where the unnatural amino acid gets specifically placed onto a t-RNA. It makes one mistake for every 1,000 base pairs, compared to natural polymerases that make one mistake every 10 million bases (Scripps, 2004 & 2005). In a similar way, Ryan Mehl created a new amino acid called p-aminophenylalanine (pAF) from simple carbon sources. The pAF is incorporated into proteins alongside its existing 20 amino acids.

The purpose in Romesberg and others' research in this area is to change (evolve) the current genetic code of the organism and the expose it to selective pressures to watch the development, adaptation and evolution of it, and to see if the organism with the expanded genetic code has an evolutionary advantage over the natural organism. This approach serves as a method for increasing the genetic repertoire of living cells to include a wide variety of amino acids with novel structural, chemical, and physical properties not found in the common 20 amino acids. Thus they are evolving the standard genetic code.

As stated above, over 30 novel amino acids have been genetically encoded in response to unique triplet and quadruplet codons including fluorescent, photoreactive, and redox-active amino acids, glycosylated amino acids, and amino acids with keto, azido, acetylenic, and heavy-atom containing side chains. It has been suggested that by removing the limitations imposed by the existing 20 amino acid code, it should be possible to generate proteins and perhaps entire organisms with new or enhanced properties (Wang and Schultz, 2005). These evolutionary modifications, and exceptions, not only suggest that the standard code can and is evolving, but also support the hypothesis of multiple evolutionary origins of life, i.e., that the current standard genetic code evolved from a previous code that had fewer than the 20 amino acids. Further back than this, I postulate that it evolved from RNA, aka., the RNA World hypothesis.

Any critical insight and "constructive" criticism on what I have posted above is very much appreciated. I am trying to expand and clarify my own thinking and interpretations about the "evolvability" of the universal genetic code. It certainly is not "frozen," as thought by Watson and Crick. But how can it be considered "universal" if it can, and is, being expanded in some species.

Arthropods have been used to create a new genetic code that translates the codon AGG as lysine, instead of serine (as in the invertebrate mitochondrial genetic code) or arginine (as in the standard genetic code)
What do you mean arthropods have been used to create a new genetic code? How?
They are created artificially by inserting a polymerase to change the metabolic protein synthesis pathway and this has been done successfully in E. coli and other bacterium with the goal of observing how the organism evolves and adapts with its new genetic makeup.
So they didn't change the DNA of the bacteria in any way? They artificially added a polymerase from another species which transcribes the DNA sequence differently?
Other research efforts that I have read focus on expanding the genetic code by inserting an artificial fifth base.
There already are 5 bases. Adenine, guanine, cytosine, thymine and uracil. I'm guessing you meant a fifth DNA base.

So, how is this evolution? This is all merely tinkering by scientists. Important research, I'm sure, but I wouldn't know if I would classify it as evolution, since it is all taking place in a controlled lab environment (which controlled selective pressures even).

It would be helpful and mature if you could refrain from labelling or stereotyping people.
Hercules can hardly be accused of stereotyping you, since your behviour patterns tend to the unique. Rather, he has critically observed your modus operandi, as he puts it, over a long period of time, in a critical and objective manner, and so reached an accurate description of your techniques.
The mature thing for you to do would be to finally admit that
a) you do employ these techniques.
b) you have a pathological inability to admit when you are wrong
c) you muddy the waters of any discussion (especially those where you are accused of being wrong) with a plethora, but not a cornucopia, of barely relevant, or wholly irrelevant examples.

It is clear that you will never do this. To prevent the less experienced from being taken in by your superficial knowledge it behoves Hercules and others to point out your inadequacies, from time to time. (Frankly, it would be more appropriate to have you permanently banned, but I doubt that will happen.)

What CharonZ was labelling as nonsense was not the fact there can be deviations from the standard genetic code. That is not in dispute. He was labelling as nonsense your spurious conclusions that there is “opposition” to this idea and that scientists view the standard genetic code as “frozen”. There isn’t and they don’t. He was labelling as nonsense your idea that you have identified an area that requires you to “…establish a new framework to address this”. No such “Valich framework” is required.

I mean precisely that. I apologize that my posts tend not to be as concise (and grammatically correct) as it should be. I am unfortunately from the breed of "fast posters" and usually post in between short brakes, when I grab a sip from my pot of cold coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
CharonZ: Thank you very much for the clarification. It is very much appreciated.

What do you mean arthropods have been used to create a new genetic code? How?
See: "Parallel Evolution of the Genetic Code in Arthropod Mitochondrial Genomes." http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:16620150

There already are 5 bases. Adenine, guanine, cytosine, thymine and uracil. I'm guessing you meant a fifth DNA base.

Romesberg and colleagues at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, Calif., designed a fifth base, called 3-fluorobenzene (3FB), that pairs with itself through a new polymerase enzyme that recognizes the 3FB, latches on to it, and incorporates it appropriately into a replicating strand of DNA. Instead of just the canonical base pairs "G-C" or guanine–cytosine, and "A-T" or adenine–thymine, a third pairing occurs: "3FB-3FB" between two unnatural bases called 3-fluorobenzene (or 3FB). See: "DNA With Three Bases: A Step Towards Expanding the Genetic Code." http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/life_sciences/report-41757.html

See: "Parallel Evolution of the Genetic Code in Arthropod Mitochondrial Genomes." http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:16620150
I asked for your explanation, not a link. You've missed my point, however. I wasn't focusing on the idea that a new genetic code was created. I was focusing on the idea that arthropods were used to do so. Do you understand why I might be curious about this?

Also, I read and understood what you said about the fifth base the first time. Please don't patronize me by simply copying and pasting what you posted earlier. What I was wondering, which you completely ignored, is why we are considering any of this evolution when it's clearly genetic experimentation.

Because these code extensions remain in the organism and adapt and evolve with it in a short timeframe. We've found many exceptions to the standard code that suggest it is evolving. Almost all biologist hypothesize that the genetic code evolved from a more primitive genetic code that contained less amino acids than the standard 20 - perhaps 10-16 amino acids - and before that, RNA. So now we have about 30 additional amino acids that are found in various organisms on top of the standard twenty. Romesberg's additional base is an additional nucleotide adding a fifth to G,C,A,T. If you read the full article on the arthropod mitochondria research, your own analysis and interpretation are most welcome for further productive discussion. I am not trying to patronize you in any way and I'm very sorry that you recieved this interpretation. I have a limited scope of knowledge in this area myself and posted the thread to get a better grasp on it. In spare time, I currently reading Syozo Osawa's book, "Evolution of the Genetic Code," which I find most helpful. I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited:
Back