the shit that doesn't stink

which of the following?

• i think homosexuality is wrong, but incest ok[like wtf?]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
well tiessa i gotta say i'm a bit taken back by your attitude.
while your presentation is as splendid as ever, the arguments you presented are unfortunately the ones mostly used and unsurprisingly weak, i'm however surprised you cared for nothing more than to repeat them.

T

Where do you get that? "Personal sexual trend/orientation"? Is that from the latest Family Research Council paper on the subject?
because that's the only excuse that withstands logical scrutiny.

Homosexuality has existed since before humans were human.
and incest and bestiality didn't?

It exists in nature.
and incest happens in a lab?
Are gay penguins following a "personal sexual trend/orientation"? Homosexuality is a natural outcome.
once again, so is incest and bestiality.

The controversy over homosexuality is one of persecution and supremacism.
i find it the first wave of personal freedom running wild.
5 years after incense and bestiality activists walk the streets
waving signs, objecting to incense would be a matter of "persecution and supermacism".

Explain to me how an animal consents to sexual intercourse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRm8okHhapU
you had to ask didn't you?:D

Should we conclude from your question that you think a Pavlovian outcome, that is, operant conditioning—say, training your chihuahua to want you to stick your penis into it—equals consent? Why not, then, just groom children as sex slaves? I mean, as long as you can condition them to accept the labor, it's consent, right?
i REALLY doubt that donkey was trained.

As to incest, the issue is a little more complicated. To the one, fine, whatever. To the other, though, people need to re-examine what it is they want and expect of the basic family structure. Sure, incest is, technically, fine with me.
so is homosexuality with me, more or less.

If people want to admit they're so pathetic that they can't get a date outside the family,I don't see any reason for me to get involved in their sex lives.
If people want to admit they're so pathetic that they can't get a date of the other gender,I don't see any reason for me to get involved in their sex lives.

However, such an outcome redefines the nuclear family at a fundamental level.
so does homosexuality and marriage:shrug:

Its purpose in and relationship to society changes, and before incest ever becomes legal and acceptable, the society is going to have to figure out what those changes are and how to deal with them.
well they already figured out those changes and dealt with them when they accepted homosexuality.
it's called sexual freedom, and family is what its members want it to be, if the members of the family want it to be with two mothers or two fathers, or two siblings who have different mothers but their two fathers are married, then it's their business, those who can't accept it suffer from persecution issues and supermasicm.
same with a family of a father/husband and wife/daughter.

Now, I'm of the opinion—and you'll find that psychologists more or less agree—that if we simply remove from the family structure the sense of refuge a person experiences and even constructs for themselves within the family unit in order to make incestuous relations more acceptable, we will create and inflame various neurotic dysfunctions.
oh, what selectiveness.
so is the sense of refuge more important than the sense of breeding in a family?:bugeye:
A practical application: I have a daughter. As the years pass, she will more and more interact with the attitudes in society that judge her according to her sexual worth. Does she have a fine ass? How are her tits? Does she spit or swallow? Is she a screamer, or is she quiet? Does she like being on top? Will she take it up the ass?

It's actually very important to her psychological development and stability that she have a part of the world in which she is exempt from such considerations. The way American society is constructed, family is the best potential for creating and maintaining such a refuge. And that refuge is what people will reject when they resort to incest.
i disagree with the whole point you're making.
-being exempt from sexual considerations isn't necessary, being exempt from BAD sexual considerations is.
it's less healthy for a normal girl to be negatively judged by her sexuality in her whole life except home than for a girl practicing incest whose sexuality is moderately considered at home and everywhere.

families fostering a healthy sexual atmosphere is independent of sexual relationships within that family.

-besides, family isn't the only place, you have friends as well.

-thirdly, what about children's need of parents of both genders? or are homosexuals' children undeserving of that?

-what about incest between two fully grown adults?

your point is far fetched and doesn't affect the matter significantly. it's also leaning greatly on how sick your society is.

Imagine the people who won't bother to go home for a holiday dinner because they don't want Dad asking them for a blowjob, or a sibling trying to get in their ass.
now you're introducing irrelative external elements to better suit your argument.
what you said can happen to married couples as well. it's in no way special to incense.

So the question we encounter in considering incest is, simply, "What is the purpose of the family structure in society?"

All you have to do to legitimize incestuous relationships is redefine the function of the family unit in society.
that has already been done.
in the old dictionary, the one running for thousands of years,is that a family can't exist without a mother and father.
but look at how homosexuality has changed things.

And, yes, I admit that the fact that one cannot see that looming question—or, in the case of bestiality, the issue of consent—strikes me as indicative of troubling ignorance.
not seeing the looming question, or its answer?

Indeed, when trying to figure the relationship between these issues and homosexuality, I find myself wondering whether those who see such links as you suggest are desperate, hateful, or simply stupid.
i wonder of those who can't see the links can't think for themselves and merely repeat what they're told.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
the main scientific argument defending homosexuality being moral is that it's natural.
that is a fallacy.
and hypocrisy.

it is a fallacy because it assumes that as long as it's natural it is moral. which is called Appeal to tradition;
wikipedia said:
Appeal to tradition, also known as proof from tradition,[1] appeal to common practice, argumentum ad antiquitatem, false induction, or the "is/ought" fallacy,[2] is a common logical fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it correlates with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."[3]
it is natural to seek revenge, but is it moral to?

it is hypocrisy because incense is natural* as well, but still deemed immoral, or to say the least, disgusting and repelling. while homosexuality is seen as normal and ok.

*http://www.livescience.com/health/080116-incest-science.html
*and this is one awesome find, i bet you'll find it very informative and awesome.
here, i quote a comment;
anonymous said:
My sister and I were involved as teenagers off and on for about three years. This is not something that we share with others and we find it almost impossible to discuss with one another. Incestuous relationships do happen, and not always the way they are portrayed on made for TV movies where someone is being abused. I think that incest is almost like an atomic explosion in that it requires a very specific set of circumstances to take place. Exactly why we became involved whereas most siblings do not is something I've never really been able to nail down. We had played doctor together as children and that lowered our aversion to incest I believe. Also we lived in a 1 parent home where our mother was working most of the time, giving us a great deal of time together unsupervised. In that sense it is perhaps not surprising that a sexual relationship developed. Leave two bored teenagers alone together with too much time on their hands and sex is a likely outcome I guess.

While our relationship was consensual, non-abusive and non-exploitive, it also exacted a heavy price. Not 15 minutes after making love for the first time, she and I were both overcome with intense feelings of guilt and shame. No one ever taught us to feel this way, we simply did. These feelings did not go away either, but persisted for years afterwards, creating problems in our relationship that have never been fully resolved. For a long time I considered what we did back then to be the worst thing I'd ever done. Even so that did not stop us. The ability of the human libido to suppress one's moral judgment is truly amazing. What finally ended our sexual relationship was my leaving home to go to college. When she joined me a year later we'd been separated long enough to break the cycle I guess. We've never done anything since then.

When one looks at what happened in a detached light, there is very little logical reason for feelings of guilt or shame. Yet there they are. I've long believed that these feelings are instinctive. As such they are very difficult to put aside and overcome. Even now I still feel some guilt over what we did, even though I intellectually understand it to have been morally neutral.
also;
anonymous said:
I too see nothing immoral with incest. I also see no reason to feel guilty about it. It is just society's coercion making people feel guilty about it (similar to homosexuality).
*but more to the point; http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081210082354AAr1mg8

It's a personal trait which the individual is more or less powerless to change. It's like being white, or having blue eyes.
:bugeye:
i highly doubt you'd make such dubious assertion without having the "scientific" studies to support it?
homosexuality is a personal trait as much as incest and bestiality is.
however, one addicted to cigarettes would have a more comfortable conscience when people give him the opportunity to say he's powerless to quit.

and while how ingrained homosexuality is in a person's identity or psyche affects its moral label, it doesn't change it much.
a psychopath who's born with a thirst for human blood wouldn't have his actions automatically labeled moral because he's more or less powerless to change them.

Says the law of virtually every nation.
ad populum.

Sure, they can decide, but that's not the important factor. Legally, the important question is whether they can give informed consent.
sure, and when they do that, it's ok eh?

Ok from a moral point of view, from a legal point of view, or something else?
moral.

head vs. wall

Scifes said:

because that's the only excuse that withstands logical scrutiny.

Historically, homosexuality has been received by societal institutions negatively, to the point of being a capital offense. I find it very illogical to suggest that people have chosen a lifetime of discrimination and, in many cases, risked their very lives, purely for a sexual rush.

once again, so is incest and bestiality.

I don't disagree.

i find it the first wave of personal freedom running wild.
5 years after incense and bestiality activists walk the streets
waving signs, objecting to incense would be a matter of "persecution and supermacism".

"The first wave of personal freedom running wild"?

In truth, though, I'd be very interested to see the first mass protest in support of incest or bestiality. No, really: Let's see that "Don't Steal My Bitch" pride, if for no other reason than I want to know who I need to protect my dog from. (Actually, in truth, I don't have a dog, but rather, a cat. Many people describe her colloquially, however, as a bitch, for whatever that's worth.)

i REALLY doubt that donkey was trained.

It's a bit hard to take that video seriously, for a couple of reasons. Male animals will fuck anything. I have a friend whose cat tries to mate with its hunting kills. Yes, cross-species necrophilia.

Or the proverbial dog humping your leg: It's masturbating, and you're it's "pocket pussy".

Still, though, I want to know how the donkey managed to get the guy's pants down. Or, more correctly, no, I don't, but it is important to your argument.

If people want to admit they're so pathetic that they can't get a date of the other gender,I don't see any reason for me to get involved in their sex lives.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, but as a comparative argument it doesn't exactly work. Indeed, I've actually addressed this part of the argument before, when people were using their revulsion toward incest as an argument against homosexuality:

... [F]or most of history, marriage was not primarily about the individual needs and desires of a man and woman and the children they produced ....

.... Reviewing the role of marriage in different societies in the past ... I came to reject two widespread ... theories about how marriage came into existence ... the idea that marriage was invented so men could protect women and the opposite idea that it was invented so men could exploit women. Instead, marriage spoke to the needs of the larger group. It converted strangers into relatives and extended cooperative relations beyond immediate family or small band by creating far-flung networks of in-laws.

(Coontz, 5-6)

I understand if you've never encountered this before; it was two years ago, and the homophobes weren't especially interested in addressing this even then, so it didn't get much discussion. So, to reiterate what I wrote two years ago:

And you might also stop to consider the purpose of marriage. Incestuous unions do not fulfill the purpose at the root of what the homophobes refer to as "traditional marriage". Indeed, but for bastardy laws—which, incidentally, are few and far between in the twenty-first century—homosexual marriage does fulfill that purpose ....

.... Incest does not regard the larger group; it does nothing to extend cooperative relations beyond immediate family. As British commentator and radio and television host Mark Steel remarked of Darwin's marriage:

As Darwin pieced his theory together, it caused him enormous anxiety; he became obsessive. For example, he used a similar method to the one he'd used to work out natural selection to decide whether or not to get married. He wrote out two columns headed, "Marry", and "Not Marry". Under "Marry" was,

Constant companion and friend in old age; better than a dog, anyhow .... Charms of music and female chit-chat .... Intolerable to think of spending one's life like a neutered bee.​

A biologist's way of saying, "Well, at least I'll get me end away on a regular basis." Under "Not Marry" was,

Conversation of clever men at clubs, perhaps quarreling .... Not forced to visit relatives.​

Which may be why he married his cousin. He was thinking, "Well think of the time I'm saving in visiting relatives. 'Cause her relatives are the same as mine. I'm laughing!"

(The Mark Steel Lectures)

Now, I understand if your personal sentiments are more influential to you than, say, a well-documented study of the historical, psychological, and anthropological roles of marriage in humanity (e.g., Coontz), but there is a tremendous difference in the differentiation between gay and incestuous relationships.

so does homosexuality and marriage

I don't agree. In a gay marriage with children, you have parents and children; the parents are the sexual partners. The relationship between parent and child is still one of authority and guidance. In an incestuous family, you have parents and children, and there are no differentiated boundaries about their roles in the family relationship; parents can be sexual partners with the children, though we would hope that part of the relationship at least waits until the children are of age.

One thing I find striking about your argument is that it does not recognize the differentiation of relationships between incestuous and non-incestuous families.

Virtually all cultures have instituted strong parent-child relationships, husband-wife bonds, man-woman division, and special relationships, cultural roles, and statuses, according to one's biological connection with other individuals. In a word, all cultures know of some form of kinship relationship, for the incest taboo is universal, regulating sexual relationships and establishing differences among people according to their kinship status.

The incest taboo may be considered the core of kinship systems. Inasmuch as restrictions on sexual partners come up, Culture creates a system of differentiated relationships that assigns a specific place to each individual, according to his position in the larger system. The incest taboo gives rise to the first great kinship differentiation among individuals: there is a group of people one is forbidden to have intercourse with (relatives), and a group of people one is permitted to have intercourse with (non-relatives).

The incest taboo is a universal institution; thus, kinship is also universal. Yet, this universality is by no means a biological fact. Even if it is a universal feature, it is a cultural feature that regulates biological behaviour. In other words, man is biologically incestuous, but Culture regulates his behaviour, imposing incest regulations and thus creating the cultural concept of kinship.

(Andrade)

This basic differentiation of the family or kinship structure within society is long-standing. One is certainly welcome to challenge its validity, but that is part of the point: Somewhere along the line, incest advocates such as yourself must address these issues. And that requirement isn't necessarily for the satisfaction of your critics, but, rather, because if you do not address such issues consciously and methodically, you will address them anyway, subconsciously and neurotically.

So don't take me wrongly here: You are welcome to challenge the foundation and application of Object Relations Theory, one of the vital benchmarks of psychological research—e.g., libido as object-seeking, viz. Fairbairn, Klein—but that's at least how deeply your superficial argument needs to go; you don't seem to recognize the implications of what you're advocating.

well they already figured out those changes and dealt with them when they accepted homosexuality.

Really? You think so? You think two men, or two women, having sexual contact redefines the parent-child relationship as drastically as parents having sex with their children?

it's called sexual freedom, and family is what its members want it to be, if the members of the family want it to be with two mothers or two fathers, or two siblings who have different mothers but their two fathers are married, then it's their business, those who can't accept it suffer from persecution issues and supermasicm.
same with a family of a father/husband and wife/daughter.

At a superficial level, it's called sexual freedom. At a psychological or anthropological level, it's something else entirely. I understand that those who have no particular care about the implications of behavioral sciences don't go any deeper than the conveneient surface considerations, but, functionally, those issues are important. My only argument about incest is that one must eventually reconcile those deeper issues.

And, yes, I recognize that's inconvenient for incest advocates.

oh, what selectiveness.
so is the sense of refuge more important than the sense of breeding in a family?

I'm sorry, but are we supposed to take that seriously?

i disagree with the whole point you're making.

That's expected.

-being exempt from sexual considerations isn't necessary, being exempt from BAD sexual considerations is.
it's less healthy for a normal girl to be negatively judged by her sexuality in her whole life except home than for a girl practicing incest whose sexuality is moderately considered at home and everywhere.

And I'm sure you have a wealth of psychological literature to support that point.

families fostering a healthy sexual atmosphere is independent of sexual relationships within that family.

Incorrect.

Insofar as incest is a universal taboo, one that appears to be universally broken, it provides a unique opportunity for linking Bowen family systems theory with the other sciences, particularly sociobiology and anthropology. Incest provides an excellent example of gene-culture coevolution. Incest cannot be reduced to cultural or individual differences and thus provides an issue of substance about which Bowen family systems theory can contribute a new perspective.

Furthermore, the prohibition against incest serves as one fo the central organizers upon which the family as a multigenerational emotional system is constructed. This taboo, as we shall see in reviewing the anthropological findings, represents a baseline for normative operation of the individuality-togetherness forces. The prohibition against incest is an elemental bedrock upon which physical and emotional differentiation within the family can occur. The breakdown of this prohibition can lead to a range of social, psychological, and physical symptoms, including the possibility of the extinction of the family.

Finally, incest is a phenomenon that can highlight the differences between Freudian theory, which is the basis for most individually oriented theories of behavior, and Bowen family systems theory. Incest viewed from a psychoanalytic perspective is understood mostly in terms of an unconscious fantasy experience—the Oedipus complex originating in the intrapsychic experience of the child. The focus is on the Oedipal triad. In contrast, a Bowen family systems perspective is more interested in incest as an actual, factual behavior that is real, not fantasized. Through the lens of Bowen theory, incest is understood in terms of the interlocking emotional triangles in the multigenerational emotional process. Also, Bowen family systems theory combines a theory of the family emotional system with evolutionary biological theory. Bowen theory resides upon Darwinian natural systems theory, and it is both an application and expansion of that theory as applied to the human family. Thus, where Freudian theory would look at the underlying basis of incest in terms of the balance of id, ego, and super-ego, Bowen family systems theory describes incest as a manifestation of an imbalance of the forces of individuality and togetherness.

(Titelman, 300-301; boldface accent added)

Incestuous relationships do not reflect a culturally appropriate balance of self and other within the family environment. And, yes, one can certainly challenge such an assertion, but you're going to have to come up with something better than the freedom to get it off in order to address the practical issues involved.

-besides, family isn't the only place, you have friends as well.

Obviously one's friendships are not clearly differentiated in the case of incestuous unions. Or, to put it superficially for your benefit: Then get on your friends, damn it!

-thirdly, what about children's need of parents of both genders? or are homosexuals' children undeserving of that?

Your real agenda has never been a secret in this thread. From the title "the shit that doesn't stink" to the basic comparison of homosexuality to incest and bestiality, to the present argument. What the child needs, above all else, is qualitative. That is, the child needs loving and nurturing parentage. You might as well ask if children with a dead parent are undeserving of parents of both genders. Are you suggesting that if a parent dies, the other is obliged to remarry as soon as possible in order to provide a replacement unit for the children?

-what about incest between two fully grown adults?

What, has this not been covered already?

your point is far fetched and doesn't affect the matter significantly. it's also leaning greatly on how sick your society is.

Our society is sick because we don't have sex with our parents, siblings, and offspring?

Or did I miss something about what passes for your argument?

now you're introducing irrelative external elements to better suit your argument.
what you said can happen to married couples as well. it's in no way special to incense.

:facepalm:

that has already been done.
in the old dictionary, the one running for thousands of years,is that a family can't exist without a mother and father.

Tell that to the war widows who raise their children.

but look at how homosexuality has changed things.

You know, we all recognize that this thread is really about your sentiments toward homosexuals, but the desperation of your argument is tragically entertaining. What you remind is the frequent inability of homophobes to recognize anything deeper than the most blatantly superficial.

This is a chronic problem of homophobia. In the 1990s, for instance, when homophobes brought gay rights to the fore, they had trouble with the idea of consent; the comparison back then was that homosexuality was akin to necrophilia, bestiality, and pedophilia, none of which involve proper consent by one party to the sexual act. Since then, it's just been variations on a theme. Polygamy, for instance, is a matter of numbers and object relations; incest is a matter of object relations.

At some point, these homophobic arguments need to delve deeper than mere appearances, and deal with the psychological and anthropological implications of sexuality. In the end, a gay marriage is only a superficial distinction from a heterosexual union. Your argument overlooks single parenthood, whether through divorce, willful parental absence, or death. It implies that a parent rendered single through whatever means ought to rush out to replace the missing family member, but gives no consideration to how the child feels about the replacement—how many step-parents have heard a child lash out, "You're not my real mother/father!" But, apparently—

• "thirdly, what about children's need of parents of both genders? or are homosexuals' children undeserving of that?"

• "in the old dictionary, the one running for thousands of years,is that a family can't exist without a mother and father."​

—such considerations either haven't occurred to you or, for some reason, simply aren't important.

not seeing the looming question, or its answer?

You cannot provide an answer without first recognizing the question.

i wonder of those who can't see the links can't think for themselves and merely repeat what they're told.

When the response is YouTube footage of some idiot running around bare-assed in a field with a horny jackass, there's really not much I can say about it.

Your argument is primarily political, it seems. As I said, all you have to do to legitimize incestuous relationships is redefine the function of the family unit in society. And the fact that gay people can be good parents has nothing to do with the proposition of having sexual relations with one's offspring.

the main scientific argument defending homosexuality being moral is that it's natural.
that is a fallacy.
and hypocrisy.

it is a fallacy because it assumes that as long as it's natural it is moral. which is called Appeal to tradition

Incorrect. What you have asserted is a revision of history. The argument that homosexuality occurs in nature pertains to the persecutory and false assertion that homosexuality is immoral because it is unnatural. The underlying assertion of fact—that homosexuality is unnatural—is incorrect; one thus cannot draw the conclusion of its immorality therefrom.

it is hypocrisy because incense is natural* as well, but still deemed immoral, or to say the least, disgusting and repelling. while homosexuality is seen as normal and ok.

The incest taboo has certain biological and evolutionary roots. And you're welcome to challenge them.

http://www.livescience.com/health/080116-incest-science.html

In truth, I'm uncertain what your point is with that link. The incest taboo among humans is a cultural expression.

"Asexual reproduction is [like] the ultimate in incest because you're breeding with yourself," Wheelwright told LiveScience. "You can still see species asexually reproducing, or cloning themselves, in situations where there is no advantage to [sex]," he said, "and you can see species that commit incest where there is no penalty to inbreeding.

(Mosher)

Show me, please, what it looks like when a single-celled microorganism fucks itself.

Additionally, the link reinforces the proposition that the incest taboo is a cultural expression of evolutionary outcomes:

Because so-called higher organisms such as humans are susceptible to life-shortening genetic combinations, Lieberman thinks nature has weeded out incestuous behavior over time through natural selection. Humans and other animals, she said, likely evolved ways to detect and avoid mating with their close relatives.

"We don't have DNA goggles to detect our relatives, but I think we've evolved psychological systems that help us do so," Lieberman said, including face recognition and even scent. But Lieberman thinks the strongest cue humans have is growing up with a sibling under the same roof.

"People refer to this as the Westermarck Effect, which essentially says children who co-reside are much less likely to breed with each other when they reach adulthood," she said.

Even unrelated children who grow up together exhibit avoidance toward inbreeding, she said.

"The Kibbutz communities in Israel are a good example," she said. Only weeks after birth, mothers give their kids to a "children's society" staffed by trained caregivers. Lieberman said people raised in the same community are much less likely to marry each other than someone from a neighboring area.

Another example Lieberman noted are 1800s records of arranged Taiwanese "minor" marriages, where parents would arrange a marriage for their daughter by handing her over to the future groom's household shortly after birth.

"Compared to 'major' marriage arrangements, where a couple meets just before the wedding, minor couples had fewer kids," she told LiveScience. "Minor couples frequently refused to consummate their marriage, so the fathers would stand outside their door until they did."

Lieberman thinks minor couples had such trouble because they grew up with one another, "activating the genetic cues that screamed, 'Avoid mating with this person,'" she said. "Those cues probably didn't get activated with the brother-sister couple who married. They didn't grow up together."

It is certainly interesting. Arnhart overplays the "conflict" between Westmarck and the Freudian outlook. Still, though, you are only reiterating that your argument runs up against nothing less than evolution itself. As Arnhart puts it, "I think the incest taboo is one of the clearest illustrations of how a moral rule can be explained by a Darwinian view of human biological nature."

here, i quote a comment

I'm not sure that a couple of "bored teenagers alone together with too much time on their hands" makes that strong an argument justifying incestuous sexual relations. It's not as if the "ability of the human libido to suppress one's moral judgment is truly amazing" is what we might call a revolutionary new idea. And, indeed, since what ended the relationship was his "leaving home to go to college", we only see a reinforcement of the proposition that one simply needs greater socialization outside the immediate family structure.

but more to the point ....

I'm not certain the proposition that bonobos "mate with all members of its group, regardless of age or sex" helps your argument; it's a misnomer to describe that as pedophilia, but we can set that aside since the issue is incest.

That said, incest certainly does occur in the animal kingdom. Many animals will mate with their relatives if no other mate is available ....

(Leolupus)

Meanwhile, I look forward to your paper expounding on the sexual habits of wasps as a justification for human incestuous relations. For the rest of us, however, it is worth noting that Metzger et al. observed:

In the context of mate choice we show, for the first time in a non-social hymenopteran species, that females can avoid mating with their brothers through kin recognition. In "no-choice" tests, the probability a female will mate with an unrelated male is twice as high as the chance of her mating with her brothers. In contrast, in choice tests in small test arenas, no kin discrimination effect was observed.

Once again we see incestuous tendencies arising in a restricted mate-selection environment. As this applies to humans—

"besides, family isn't the only place, you have friends as well."​

—this would seem to indicate that the regular sociobiological advice is to get with the friends.

Or maybe they're not as pretty as your mom, or rugged and manly as your dad.

It just seems like a whole lot of effort to justify closing off the mate-selection network.

Notes:

Coontz, Stephanie. Marriage, a History: from Obedience to Intimacy, or How Love Conquered Marriage. New York: Viking, 2005.

Steel, Mark. "Charles Darwin". The Mark Steel Lectures. British Broadcasting Corporation. BBC 4, London. November 4, 2003. Television.

Andrade, Gabriel. "The Transformation of Kinship in the New Testament". Anthropoetics, v.11, no.1. Spring/Summer, 2005. Anthropoetics.UCLA.edu. November 8, 2010. http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/ap1101/andrade.htm

Daniels, Victor. "Object Relations Theory". October 20, 2007. Sonoma.edu. November 8, 2010. http://www.sonoma.edu/users/d/daniels/objectrelations.html

Titelman, Peter. Clinical Applications of Bowen Family Systems Theory. London: Psychology Press, 1998. Books.Google.com. November 8, 2010. http://books.google.com/books?id=N8kouwnl5CYC

Mosher, Dave. "Incest Not So Taboo in Nature". LiveScience. January 16, 2008. LiveScience.com. November 8, 2010. http://www.livescience.com/health/080116-incest-science.html

Arnhart, Larry. "So What's Wrong with Incest?" Darwinian Conservatism. October 7, 2006. DarwinianConservatism.BlogSpot.com. November 8, 2010. http://darwinianconservatism.blogspot.com/2006/10/so-whats-wrong-with-incest.html

Leolupus. "Do Pedophilia and Incest exist in the Animal Kingdom?". Yahoo Answers. 2008. Answers.Yahoo.com. November 8, 2010. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081210082354AAr1mg8

Metzger, Marie et al. "Does Kin Recognition and Sib-Mating Avoidance Limit the Risk of Genetic Incompatibility in a Parasitic Wasp?" PLos ONE 5(10): e13505. 2010. PLoSone.org. November 8, 2010. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0013505

Last edited:
bravo!
smiley_clap.gif

well i've finally seen it, the expected knockout.
it's simple really, you're just right about my knowledge in the relative fields to my argument is super-superficial, i sure did give the topic enough objective and critical thought, both now and a long time ago, but i read almost nothing about the subject, i'm pretty self-sufficient when it comes to philosophy and the like, i always thought reading in those fields is like asking others how to think, i mean, you're not philosophizing if you're reading other people's philosophies,it's kinda copying art imo.

but anyway, your reply is of the peak quality i rarely witness in sciforums, and i would have to either do some SERIOUS research to just fully understand what you're talking about, let alone reply to you adequately, or i can just reply anyway, pointing out the errors you have in your argument while ignoring all the points i don't understand about it and just stress and repeat what i do understand[which many people do around here], but that would be a real shame, and too sore a way for me to go out, so i surrender here.:)

i'm glad you took the time to serve me more than i can finish, it sure was a right decision to post this here for a real challenge and a serious debate instead of the usual trolling and worthless blabber you usually get in certain other subforums. though i wonder why your first reply wasn't as such.

as for the op, i still uphold my position that incense and homosexuality are both queer and revolting practices but to different degrees. being all relative, maybe some zero their scale to homosexuality and so are insensitive to it but are still to incest and bestiality. however, i do recognize my view as a personal one, one i'm no longer ready(or not yet able) to present and defend objectively.

Last edited:
I find it hard to see why, in a science forum, this issue seems to be so convoluted. it is really simple.

When close relatives have offspring, the probability that one or more will be badly deformed, or mentally defective, increases massively. With very close relatives, like brother and sister, or father and daughter, the percentage of deformity among children is close to 50%. Unacceptable. Totally unacceptable.

Cousin marriage has the same problem, except that the percentages are lower, and it may take a couple of generations (2 sets of cousin marriages) for the real problems to arise. When I was a kid, we had neighbours where the kids were the result of a man marrying his cousin. However, he was also the child of two cousins marrying. That family was a mess! Not physical deformity, but social and mental problems. One child with the IQ of a total moron. Alcoholism. Criminal behaviour followed by time in prison. etc.

The argument that sex between relatives with no reproduction may be OK has some merit. That argument has two flaws, however.
1. Lots of sex with no intent to produce offspring, nevertheless frequently leads to offspring.
2. There is still the emotional and social stigma. While you may argue that these intangible issues do not matter, they are still present, with a vengeance! Nasty emotions are still real.

I was very interested to see that Darwin's constructed rationale for marriage was so farcically wrong, from the perspective of natural history. Disappointing. Even the greats stumble.

Lorem ipsum, and other notes

Scifes said:

bravo!
smiley_clap.gif

well i've finally seen it, the expected knockout ....

.... i'm glad you took the time to serve me more than i can finish, it sure was a right decision to post this here for a real challenge and a serious debate instead of the usual trolling and worthless blabber you usually get in certain other subforums. though i wonder why your first reply wasn't as such.

Well, first, thank you kindly. But as to your wondering: It is, quite simply, that after twenty years of dealing with these odd comparisons of homosexuality to all manner of sexual taboo, it does, in fact, get old. In this case, it was somewhat difficult to take the topic post seriously. Thus I opened questioning its most glaring faults.

Consider the brief exchange Visceral Instinct and I had (#19, 24). I might disagree with the position she expressed, but at least her argument went straight to the heart of the issue.

And to recall Arnhardt, there is an aspect I skipped over in the prior post that applies well enough here:

That's the way Jonathan Haidt began an article on the psychology of moral judgment. He reported that most people immediately condemn what Julie and Mark did as wrong, but they struggle to give reasons for this judgment. I have had the same reaction from students in my classes when I present this story. They react with disgust. But it's hard for them to give reasons to justify their disgust.

Haidt, a professor of psychology at the University of Virginia, argues that this illustrates the primacy of emotion in moral judgment. Against the tendency to explain morality as caused by moral reasoning, he suggests that moral reasoning usually comes after we have already made a moral judgment from our emotional reaction. He also claims that such a view of moral judgment as initially caused by emotional intuition is confirmed by biological psychology.

One of the reasons people struggle to explain their moral judgment is the same reason so many people have trouble explaining what's wrong with their computer, or why they think a particular economic theory trumps all others. That is, the theories and vocabulary of this particular question exist and operate outside their own specialized realm. There are a couple guys in Seattle who would, had I my druthers, always make my steak (chefs at The Met and El Gaucho), but that doesn't mean I want them working on my car; then again, I don't want my mechanic as a psychotherapist.

And this is an important point: psychologists and anthropologists can, generally speaking, explain their objections to incest. That is, the applicable theories and terminology exist and operate squarely within their own realms.

Here at Sciforums, we have some physicists in our community, at least one biologist, at least one chemist as I recall, a handful of mathematicians, but I can't recall any people identifying specifically as psychologists or anthropologists.

And if we take a look around the thread, we see all sorts of arguments, but few addressing the actual relevant terminology. Don't get me wrong; I'm a college dropout, not a psychologist. So I find myself sort of muttering at the thread because I can't possibly be the only person familiar with object relations theory, which is fundamental to modern psychology. And I can't possibly be the only person who knows to Google object relations incest or differentiation relationship incest.

Or maybe I am.

Additionally, and for amusement's sake, I might note that my dreams went B-class this week, including dancing corpses, former sexual partners, parents, my brother, and all sorts of symbols that set off every analytical alarm in my psyche. Indeed, I wrote that post while recovering from a multi-stage dream about eating a seemingly infinite amount of candy and sweets at an Oregon State University (?!) function celebrating the diversity of its students; it was even one of those fundamental "I'm wearing no pants!" dreams in which I gorged myself with others while I sat there in a turtleneck and women's underpants (?!) but everyone was too polite to say anything about it. At some point I did get my pants back, but I don't know how, and the one aspect that persists is, "How fascinating; usually, I can read in dreams." And it's true; I could read the Milky Way logo on the ice cream cakes, but when I passed through a hallway exhibit of old newspaper clippings celebrating the accomplishments of the students and their families, I couldn't read the articles. Perhaps as a tribute to this thread, what drew my attention to the exhibit was someone's revulsion at what I took to be a record of a nineteenth-century gay marriage. And while I could read things like the handwritten scrawl that said, "Sound familiar?" I couldn't read the actual articles. It wasn't even Lorem Ipsum text, but rather the letters refused to resolve—it stayed unreadably blurry. This is a relatively new development for my dream state.

So, yes, your post caught me in a moment when my fascination with psychology spiked dramatically. Otherwise, to be quite honest, I probably would have just—

:wallbang:​

—and gone on with life, including my unenthusiastic regard for this thread.

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit ...."​

Notes:

Arnhart, Larry. "So What's Wrong with Incest?" Darwinian Conservatism. October 7, 2006. DarwinianConservatism.BlogSpot.com. November 8, 2010. http://darwinianconservatism.blogspot.com/2006/10/so-whats-wrong-with-incest.html

"Lorem Ipsum". (n.d.) Lipsum.com. November 8, 2010. http://www.lipsum.com/

homosexuality is supposed to be ok mainly because it's harmless and it's a personal sexual trend/orientation, which is a personal freedom.
why can't the same be said for incest or bestiality if agreed upon by both parts?
why do some people see incest wrong, then go on defending homosexuality with excuses which are applicable to incest and bestiality?

I agree with you about incest between consenting adults. Not bestiality, though, since an animal is not capable of giving consent in the way that humans are.

Incest between consenting adults is still wrong, unless you can absolutely guarantee no offspring. Very few people can do that.

The problems of less than normal children from incest is well documented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest#Inbreeding

I quote :

"Inbreeding (reproduction between two related individuals) may also involve incest. Inbreeding leads to a higher proportion of congenital birth defects through an increase in the frequency of homozygotes.[49] The effects of this can diverge - recessive genes that produce birth defects could become more frequent, resulting in a higher rate potential of these defects while genes that do not code for birth defects can become increased within a population. The overall consequences of this divergence depends in part on the size of the population. In small populations, if children born with heritable birth defects die before they reproduce the ultimate effect of inbreeding will be to decrease the frequency of defective genes in the population with an overall decrease in the number of birth defect-causing genes over time. In larger populations it is more likely that large numbers of carriers will survive and mate, leading to more constant rates of birth defects.[50] A 1994 study found a mean excess mortality with inbreeding at the first cousin level of 4.4%.[51] At any rate,the degenerative effects of inbreeding will only be significantly fatal after two or more repeated incest cases, and that varies depending on the number and quality of inherited congenital disorders of which the family members may be carriers. A study of a group of 21 made up of brother-sister or father-daughter offspring found that 12 had abnormalities with 9 of which were classed as severe.[52]"

I would assume incest is less frequent in large population. (Many more alternates available tends to decrease incest I am assuming.)* Thus considering the above text now blue, and the long history of incest, it would be hard to make the argument that a low level of incest is bad for the human gene pool in the long run. - It is obviously occasionally more tragic at the family level in the short term.

Also large societies tend to be more highly developed societies with more years of education and to give birth at significantly later ages. Thus there is more time for the child of incest with defective gene pairing to die of it before mating and remove those genes from the gene pool.

Since social norms are built on the observations of short term effects and humans are good correlaters, most societies have a tabo against incest.

* In Brazil recently an isolated farmer began to have sex with his daughters only after his wife ran away. There were no roads to his farm - the police came by small boat after a distant neighbor reported what was happening. About 35 years ago there was a small, ill educated, community in Southern Maryland living in quasi isolation on some swampy banks of the Potomac River in which incest was as common as stable marriage. It had probably lived that way for at least a dozen generations. It would be interesting to see if they had LESS than the average of defective recessive genes, as the blue text suggests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy

That is a theoretical long term result. Another possible long term result is a reduction in genetic variability, otherwise known as the result of inbreeding, which is very bad for a population. This is one of the big concerns conservationists have about the African cheetah, which has such a small population that its genetic variability is below the level considered healthy. Such matters can lead to extinction.

However, it matters not. Simple ethics requires us to care about individuals. And a large percentage of children born brain damaged or with physical defects is fully enough reason to make incest taboo.

Incest between consenting adults is still wrong, unless you can absolutely guarantee no offspring. Very few people can do that.

Do you also consider it wrong for people who have disabilities to breed (in a non-incestuous way)?

Cowboy

It is wrong for anyone to breed, if there is a high probability that the offspring will be brain damaged or deformed. This actually applies to a lot of people who appear to be normal. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who are brain damaged or physically deformed, where the problem is not genetic and will not be passed on to offspring. No problem with them breeding, as long as they are capable of caring for their children.

Considering the complications

Skeptical said:

It is wrong for anyone to breed, if there is a high probability that the offspring will be brain damaged or deformed.

But why?

And is that a moral standard, or a proposed statutory outcome?

If the latter, should anyone be held responsible for such outcomes? For instance, if the probability is inherent, and the result of parental conduct, should the mother be held responsible for denying that right to self-determination? If it is the result of a botched pharmaceutical product, should the company be held responsible? And to what degree?

I have a cousin who might qualify under your standard. I say might because the question of whether she is physically capable of breeding is not one I've pursued to an answer. Even more, I can't say for sure if she's ever had sex during her thirty-six years on this planet.

Yet if her condition should be the result of her mother's conduct during pregnancy, what should we do about that?

For the record, I don't specifically disagree with your statement; rather, these are the most basic complications that I see in such an outcome.

Tiassa

It is a moral and a practical standard. Not legal, since it is politically incorrect to forbid the right to breed to anyone.

Since we cannot legally stop anyone breeding, we are reduced to hoping that people will behave in an ethical manner, and not reproduce, if that means a high probability of bringing deformed babies into the world.

Should there be laws to prevent such people breeding? That is a hot potato. Subject for an entire thread on its own, which would inevitably descend into a flaming session.

Fair enough

Skeptical said:

Subject for an entire thread on its own, which would inevitably descend into a flaming session.

Fair enough. I accept the first half of that statement, agree that you're probably correct on the second, and offer no protest of the unquoted portions of your post.

Historically, homosexuality has been received by societal institutions negatively, to the point of being a capital offense. I find it very illogical to suggest that people have chosen a lifetime of discrimination and, in many cases, risked their very lives, purely for a sexual rush.

Muist be forgeting Sparta and Athens at some parts of their histories.

Back