The School Of Creationism

top mosker said:
What I got from the quote is that he finds it hard to believe that human beings should have the ability to think because they are simply atoms. Some greater force must have acted upon these atoms to give them the ability to think.
HHmm, yes I can see why you can see it that way. Nevertheless, if all you can say is "Some force must have acted upon them" the question becomes what force? And how? From where? And how come it doesnt seem to be experimentally verifiable.

top mosker said:
This actually made me ponder... what if our ability to think, to reason, to feel are all evolutionary steps. This is infinitely more exciting than if we simply deny evolution on those grounds. We are finding out more about our environment - string theory, holographic universes, etc, etc... and it is simply our bodies adapting to this.
I dont quite get the last sentence or two, but yes, the idea behind evolution is that it is our ability to think etc has increased because it offers us survival benefits. (Which is not to say we will keep getting more intelligent.)

guthrie said:
HHmm, yes I can see why you can see it that way. Nevertheless, if all you can say is "Some force must have acted upon them" the question becomes what force? And how? From where? And how come it doesnt seem to be experimentally verifiable.
Right. I'm not saying the guy was right, just trying to put it in different words for those who were confused.

I dont quite get the last sentence or two, but yes, the idea behind evolution is that it is our ability to think etc has increased because it offers us survival benefits. (Which is not to say we will keep getting more intelligent.)
Yea, didn't really know how to put it...

So what I'm kind of saying is that it is fascinating. Think of the starchild from 2001 A Space Oddesy and you're in the ballpark.

top mosker said:
Right. I'm not saying the guy was right, just trying to put it in different words for those who were confused.

Yea, didn't really know how to put it...

So what I'm kind of saying is that it is fascinating. Think of the starchild from 2001 A Space Oddesy and you're in the ballpark.

Mmmm, I think you should take less drugs.

Back