The Rings of Power

Magical Realist

Valued Senior Member
OMG! I finally broke down and started binge-watching Amazon Prime's The Rings of Power. I am in hog heaven! Which is to say I'm living in Middle Earth again, as I did in 1978 when I subversively passed around The Lord of the Rings to all my friends at the Christian boarding school I was attending. What a joy to return to that magical world again via an elegantly-crafted and thoughtfully-written and sublimely-scored TV series..

5pBratH.jpeg

Yes. I take it they are getting most of their storylines from Tolkien's Silmarillion, and perhaps creatively embellishing those for dramatic effect. I don't mind that abit. It is enough that I can feel like I am inside that magical world again. Will also be binge watching HBO's The House of the Dragon too. I loved GOT.

OMG! I finally broke down and started binge-watching Amazon Prime's The Rings of Power. I am in hog heaven! Which is to say I'm living in Middle Earth again, as I did in 1978 when I subversively passed around The Lord of the Rings to all my friends at the Christian boarding school I was attending. What a joy to return to that magical world again via an elegantly-crafted and thoughtfully-written and sublimely-scored TV series..

5pBratH.jpeg
What!? How did I miss this??
I would normally say no spoilers but I have read the books rather a lot!
Ok, that's on my to-do list
Thanks!

Yes. I take it they are getting most of their storylines from Tolkien's Silmarillion, and perhaps creatively embellishing those for dramatic effect. I don't mind that abit. It is enough that I can feel like I am inside that magical world again. Will also be binge watching HBO's The House of the Dragon too. I loved GOT.
So it's not LOTR? Silmarillion? Wow!

House of dragon is awesome.

I spent my school years reading and rereading Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide, and The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. But this is the first time I've heard of this. I must have watched the SciFi channel's Dune series, the Hitchhiker's Guide and the LOTRs 50 times each, but I've only watched the 3 Jackson Hobbits once. Is this Amazon thing by the book? I didn't like the other Dune versions.

• The series is based on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, which provide a condensed version of events that happen in The Silmarillion.

• Other works
      The showrunners also draw from other works by Tolkien to create something new, including inventing entire characters.
The Rings of Power is set thousands of years before the events of The Lord of the Rings and follows a number of characters across Middle-earth during its Second Age.

I spent my school years reading and rereading Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide, and The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. But this is the first time I've heard of this. I must have watched the SciFi channel's Dune series, the Hitchhiker's Guide and the LOTRs 50 times each, but I've only watched the 3 Jackson Hobbits once. Is this Amazon thing by the book? I didn't like the other Dune versions.
Hitchhikers was brilliant. Tolkien, Douglas Adams and Tom Sharp were my girlfriend to guys in my teen years.

• The series is based on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, which provide a condensed version of events that happen in The Silmarillion.

• Other works
      The showrunners also draw from other works by Tolkien to create something new, including inventing entire characters.
The Rings of Power is set thousands of years before the events of The Lord of the Rings and follows a number of characters across Middle-earth during its Second Age.
If you haven't read the prequel material it's revelatory. The Great Deceiver is a deceiver.

Hitchhikers was brilliant. Tolkien, Douglas Adams and Tom Sharp were my girlfriend to guys in my teen years.

You've not read Dune? As much as I like them, if I had to choose among Tolkien, Adams and Herbert I would not hesitate to pick Herbert.

You've criticized my long posts and I've criticized your short posts, are you on a mobile instead of desk or laptop?

Dune: Free online, no sign up or hassle, just read.

You've not read Dune? As much as I like them, if I had to choose among Tolkien, Adams and Herbert I would not hesitate to pick Herbert.

You've criticized my long posts and I've criticized your short posts, are you on a mobile instead of desk or laptop?

Tablet, it's a pain mate. I don't think I have criticized you as a human, your intellect or knowledge.

On COVID that is tricky because I was following guys in the field. I am happy to discuss that but the video you sent should not be a starting Point.

No, not read it. I have read James Herbert. The rats! As a teenager that affected me, loved it. I did a presentation on that book when I
Was 13. The language used shocked me!

No, not read it. I have read James Herbert. The rats! As a teenager that affected me, loved it. I did a presentation on that book when I
Was 13. The language used shocked me!
I did a report on Stranger In A Strange Land sophomore year of high school. It got the teacher fired the next year. She made it mandatory reading, and the 'rents were up in arms.

Tablet, it's a pain mate. I don't think I have criticized you as a human, your intellect or knowledge.

There's nothing wrong with criticism. In my opinion. I'm receptive to even harsh criticism. It always reveals something.

On COVID that is tricky because I was following guys in the field. I am happy to discuss that but the video you sent should not be a starting Point.

I keep saying it wasn't a science video. It was about how greed and misinformation was abused. It was about the capture of the medical profession by greedy big pharma and corrupt government agencies.

Back