The Right to Self Defense

Is self defense a fundamental human right?

• Total voters

madanthonywayne

Morning in America
Registered Senior Member
In another thread, James made the following statement that absolutely floored me:
Self-defense isn't listed anywhere by anyone as a fundamental human right.
So he apparently believes there is no right to self defense.

How can a person have any rights without the right to defend them? In my opinion, the right to self defense is fundamental and implied in the right to life.

I'd go further and say the all rights are backed up by the right to self defense. If someone comes into your house and starts taking stuff, or raping your wife and children; you have a right to defend them!

What does it mean to have the right to life, liberty , and the pursuit of happyness when you are not allowed to lift a hand to defend them? Are we to live as sheep? Defenseless against any attack?

In my opinion to say we have no right to self defense is utterly absurd.

I tend to agree.
I also think that Americans seem to have a rather broad idea of what self-defense means. Too broad.

I tend to agree.
I also think that Americans seem to have a rather broad idea of what self-defense means. Too broad.
Perhaps, but the issue at hand is whethet there exists the right to defend oneself. It's hard to believe anyone would seriously argue that this right does not exist.

This brings to mind the primary objection some of the founding fathers had to passing a "bill or rights" in the first place. Some people, they were afraid, will assume that if a right is not listed, it doesn't exist. This seems to be exactly what James is saying.

Whereas the founding fathers believed that it is government that has only the specific rights enumerated in the constitution. The people retained all rights not specifically given to the government.

Human rights are inherent in our nature as humans. The purpose of government is to help secure these rights. That was the radical idea on which the United States was founded.

madanthonywayne:

[James R] apparently believes there is no right to self defense.

No. I said that a right to self defense is not a recognised fundamental human right.

Here are some fundamental human rights. References are to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (something you apparently put no stock in):

Article 3 - right to life, liberty and security of person.
Article 4 - Prohibition of slavery.
5 (USA take note!) - No-one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
7 - equality before the law.

Article 8
This is an interesting one for your "self-defence" idea. It says everybody has the right to an "effective remedy by the competent national tribunal for acts violating the fundamental rights granted to him by the constitution or by law."

Note that the remedy is a legal remedy, and not a vigilante remedy of the kind you advocate.

Article 9
No arbitrary arrest, detention or exile. (USA take note again regarding Guantanamo).

Article 10
Entitlement to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal with respect to any determination of his rights and any criminal charge. (USA and Guantanamo, anybody?)

Article 11
Presumption of innocence.

Article 12
No arbitrary interference in a person's privacy, his family home or correspondence, or attacks on his honour or reputation.

Article 13
Freedom of movement within a state.

Article 18
Freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

etc.
etc.

There is no mention of a right to own a gun or shoot other people.

How can a person have any rights without the right to defend them?

Now you are no longer talking about physical self-defence, it seems. You started by talking about using a gun to physically defend yourself. That's what led you to create this thread in the first place. I pointed out that nobody recognises gun ownership as a fundamental human right, either.

I have mixed feelings about the notion of rights. I do get irritated when people say rights don't exist and are using this kind of philosophical rationale to justify the controlling of other people. (essentially their position comes down to: I have the right to do whatever I want to anyone). But then on the other hand the idea of a right to self defense just seems odd to me, as if it exists somewhere outside of us.

If my neighbors house is broken into and the break in person tries to rape my neighbor, I would not want my neighbor to go to jail if the rapist ended up getting killed in the fight that ensued. (I can imagine details where I would begin to consider jail time for the guy. She had the guy totally under control and unconscious and went into her basement, got her gun came back in and executed him. But then this is no longer self- defense. Of course if he succeeded in the rape, my sympathies would be stronger again.

It's easier for me to think in terms like that. In terms of understandible responsive violence.

Hopefully james r. will join in and we can see what he meant.

madanthonywayne:

No. I said that a right to self defense is not a recognised fundamental human right.

It seems implicit in the laws and rules of most cultures. Jesus took a stab at undermining that idea as have other religious leaders, but it does seem accepted in a pretty widespread way. But perhaps I am not getting the context of your reaction to Madanthony. So let me shift this: Do you think that you or I have the right to respond with violence to violence in certain situations?

Grantywanty:

I have never heard of an individual "right to self-defence" in any legal context. I have only ever heard of the right to self-defence in terms of the right of one state to protect itself against war-like acts by others.

I do not like the idea of giving people a right to commit violent acts. I think there is a very good reason why the law does not recognise self-defence as a "right".

Legitimate individual self-defence is always a reaction against a violent threat. If somebody comes at you with a knife, you can fight him off with a knife, and the law will not prosecute you. But that doesn't mean you had a right to own and use your knife against him. What it means is that if somebody brought a prosecution against you for hurting him, you would have a legal defence to the charges. Your violence is legitimised as an act of self-defence in that specific case.

To frame self-defence of this type as a right risks leading to some kind of implication that it is acceptable to carry a weapon around with you and use it against other people.

Any civil society ought to be very wary of broadening the circumstances under which an individual may raise self-defence as a justification for harming another person. It is very easy to claim that something was done in "self-defence" when it was really an attack, and very hard to prove.

The culture of fear prevalent in the USA probably means that many people there think that they ought to have a "right" to "protect themselves" against all the vague imagined threats they think the world has in store for them. Thankfully, the law is mostly very clear on the circumstances that count as "self-defence".

In summary, self-defence is a legal defence or justification in certain well-defined circumstances. It is not a general right, and certainly not a fundamental human right.

Defending can also means a debate over who's way of doing something is the way to go.

Defending may also be a way of putting up barriers or walls to keep those you don't want in, out.

Defending can also be you honor, if you are put down you should have the right to talk to those that think you're not such a great person and tell them what you think about their crap.

There are many ways of "defending" oneself in todays world. The only problem I see is that the rich can easily take advantage over the poor because of their power, education and their greed.

I have never heard of an individual "right to self-defence" in any legal context.

it has to be in there. one can argue against a charge of murder, for example, by arguing self-defense. I did some googling but found no source I knew you would approve of. Wikipedia came up, for example. But following my intuition I think it must be included in all sorts of laws that judges refer to when determining if justifiable defense took place.

I do not like the idea of giving people a right to commit violent acts. I think there is a very good reason why the law does not recognise self-defence as a "right".
I think it does actually and rather hysterically broadly in the US, unfortunately. There may be no single self-defense law, but I think it must be included in a variety of legal contexts. Otherwise courts would not be able to make determinations of self-defense, which go all the way up to capital crimes. In other words judges and juries decide regularly whether or not someone killed someone else justifiably.

Legitimate individual self-defence is always a reaction against a violent threat. If somebody comes at you with a knife, you can fight him off with a knife, and the law will not prosecute you. But that doesn't mean you had a right to own and use your knife against him. What it means is that if somebody brought a prosecution against you for hurting him, you would have a legal defence to the charges. Your violence is legitimised as an act of self-defence in that specific case.

But as part of a general rule, implicit at the very least, aand again I assume actually written out in words somewhere. And you can certainly shoot someone who comes at you with a knife in many places, even if the gun is not legally in your possession. You might get nailed for that crime, but the act might very well be approved of. Judges, DAs and juries must be working from something in the laws.

To frame self-defence of this type as a right risks leading to some kind of implication that it is acceptable to carry a weapon around with you and use it against other people.
But that is the case. 1) it is certainly the case with police. 2) it is legal to carry firearms if you have the right permit, etc. Carrying guns can certainly include the implicit right to threaten someone as self-defense but must include shooting also. (I say 'must' not meaning these are my morals, but that it must be in the law.)
I know that battered women and abused children are given rights of defence above adn beyond what other defenders are allow. There is also the 'castle exception' as in home is your castle, which also means you have less pressure to use retreat as an option. Sometime self-defense defenses fail because courts can show you had a good out in running away. If you hang out in a bar for an hour after someone threated to kill you and then shoot them your case is weak. But in your own home you are under less obligation to run away. I don't know how much is written in the law or is precedent based, but in the US there is a definite legal right to self-defense and lawyers make a case for it all the time. They are not told their clients have no right to self-defense unless the court determines the situation indicates it is a bad defense: the defendant was the aggressor, he should have run away, there was no real threat, the defendant upped the ante too far, and so on.

Any civil society ought to be very wary of broadening the circumstances under which an individual may raise self-defence as a justification for harming another person. It is very easy to claim that something was done in "self-defence" when it was really an attack, and very hard to prove.

I agree. But we have done that very clearly in relation to certain groups and in the home.

The culture of fear prevalent in the USA probably means that many people there think that they ought to have a "right" to "protect themselves" against all the vague imagined threats they think the world has in store for them. Thankfully, the law is mostly very clear on the circumstances that count as "self-defence".
But James!!!!!! if it is very clear about those circumstances, then it is clear there are circumstances. I don't think madanthony is saying that one has the right to defence oneself with any sort of violence in any situation where one perceives there is a threat. And I am certainly not doing that. It seems like here you are acknowledging that it is in the law.

In summary, self-defence is a legal defence or justification in certain well-defined circumstances. It is not a general right, and certainly not a fundamental human right

No, you cannot delineate those circumstances and the law very flexibly interprets varieties of threat. They do not have to rewrite the law each time a new kind of weapon is made, for example. I think it is a general concept and a rigorous look at abstract qualities such as levels of force, clearness of threat, other options are looked at by the court and a general idea of appropriate self-defense is referred to.

madanthony may have a false impression of how liberal this is, but if I am attacked anywhere in the US with physical violence, for example, I feel very confident I can respond with violence if I cannot get away. This does not mean I will win in court. But that is a whole other issue. One can never be sure of that. I do know that the law is behind me there. I also know that anyone gesturing at me with a weapon in my house is pretty much 'in season'. I mean the japanese guy who knocked on someone's door and did not respond to requests to go away from some guys doorstep - because he did not understand - got killed. The guy who shot him got off. Of course this is wrong. But I know pretty damn well what I can do to people inside my house with weapons.

Oh, yes, James.
On a more personal level.
Don't you think I (you) should feel confident that we can defend ourselves and the law will back us up.
Wouldn't that be an essential part of the law that people are supported in defending themselves from real threats.

Here are some fundamental human rights. References are to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (something you apparently put no stock in):

Article 3 - right to life, liberty and security of person. ....

Well, James, right there it is ....the right to life! If someone's trying to take that life from you, you have a "fundamental" right to prevent it. How can you see it any other way?

Baron Max

Sure, you'll note that that's how I worded the poll.
You're right. I do not recognize the UN as having the ability to confer any rights on anyone. It's a debating society.

Furthermore, many of the "rights" on that list are clearly not rights. For instance:
Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
There can exist no right that requires someone else provide you with something. All rights basically amount to the right to be left alone. How can a right to a certain standard of living exist? Who will provide it? What about that person's right to property (a legitimate right)? The list goes on to list a right to education. Again, how can such a right exist?

The concept I operate under is the Declaration of Independence and the ideas of John Locke, Hobbs, and Rouseau.

Humans are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights. These rights exist even in the state of nature. They are part of human nature. As PJ said, they are part of our instincts. Governments are instituted among men to secure these rights. The rights are not confered by any government and certainly not by the UN.

Every human (or animal) will defend its life. Why? It believes it has a right to exist. Humans will defend what is theirs, regardless of the existance of government (the right to property). Humans will fight to be allowed to pursue their dreams (the right to the pursuit of happyness).

No right exists or can exist that imposes the burden on someone else to provide it to you.

But no right is more fundamental than the right to life and the right to defend that life.

But no right is more fundamental than the right to life and the right to defend that life.

From a philosophical standpoint, I must agree. Pursuit of life logically must include the converse, the preservation of life.

From a biological standpoint, I also must agree. If your life is threatened, your instinctual fight or flight response is triggered.

From a legal standpoint, self-defense is a right derived under common law from opinions stemming from philosophy and biology.

The right to survive when attacked or placed in jeopardy of life or limb is fundamental to all living and breathing things.

Last edited:
I have never heard of an individual "right to self-defence" in any legal context.

James, several states in the USA have passed exactly such laws ...notably Florida and Texas, but there are others that are following along. The old laws basically said that when confronted, the victim should run and hide, call the police, or whatever, ...but not try to defend himself. The new laws say basically, ...bullshit, if confronted, one has the right, and the duty, to defend himself and his right to be where he is.

I do not like the idea of giving people a right to commit violent acts.

So you want to give the criminal all of the advantage, and only help the victim after they've been beaten, raped, robbed or killed? ...if anyone can find the criminal and prove, beyond a shadow of doubt, that he did, in fact, commit the terrible crime?

I think there is a very good reason why the law does not recognise self-defence as a "right".

Legitimate individual self-defence is always a reaction against a violent threat. If somebody comes at you with a knife, you can fight him off with a knife, and the law will not prosecute you. But that doesn't mean you had a right to own and use your knife against him.

So we should just keep fighting the knife-wielding attacker until ...what, he's too tired to fight any more? But we shouldn't try to hurt him in any way? Just let him keep attack and cutting us until .....?

Wow, James, you're really in support of all the criminals of the world, ain't ya? ...LOL!

Baron Max

I think the right to self defense is a fundamental right.
Only a comatose person would not defend himself. (Or a suicidal one, but that too is debatable)

according to the police, you are allowd to use reasonable force to protect yourself and your family, thats what the british transport police adviced me a couple of weeks ago. i think that everyone should be allowed to defend themselves regardless of race, age, sex, should we let people treat us like crap and hit us without hitting back?

I think the right to self defense is a fundamental right.
Only a comatose person would not defend himself. (Or a suicidal one, but that too is debatable)
James,

I've even got Sam on my side with this one. When Sam, Baron, and Madanthonywayne all agree on something; it must give you pause. We are really talking about a fundamental right here.

Back