The right of "confessional" secrecy.

why do you want child sexual abuse to be the most common form of abuse?
its not, emotional abuse (which is SIGNIFICANTLY underreported) and neglect is the most common forms. In the case of neglect there are a reasonable amount of cases where the intervention needed is finantial and surportive which is avilable from the department of family services. once you take those cases out my gut instint is that the cases of neglect would be around the same as the numbers of physical abuse. Sexual abuse is about 1% of abuse and neglect (off the top of my head, trying to find the exact staistics) cases. It might be SLIGHTLY higher but not more than the cases of neglect and physical abuse

ok i underestimated that slightly:p

http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs1/rs1.pdf
page 4 has a pie chart which breaks down the different types of abuse

Emotional abuse 37%
Neglect 28.7%
Physical Abuse 22%
Sexual Abuse 12.7%

and aparently they cant count as thats 100.4% (either that or there is .4% where multiple forms of abuse are present)

Asguard,
The issue isn't about any particular "prividged information" but any priviledged information.
The OP isn't about sexual abuse, as this is only being used as an example [re: paedophilia going underground due to mandatory reporting laws.]

The question is one of trust in confidentiality when offerred with out exception.

and how that poses significant vexation upon that councillor.
I guess similar to that of a Priest [confessional] or Doctor prior to mandatory reporting laws etc were enacted.
Ultimately it is a question or vexation of personal Integrity and that which we offer others.

ok i underestimated that slightly:p

http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs1/rs1.pdf
page 4 has a pie chart which breaks down the different types of abuse

Emotional abuse 37%
Neglect 28.7%
Physical Abuse 22%
Sexual Abuse 12.7%

and aparently they cant count as thats 100.4% (either that or there is .4% where multiple forms of abuse are present)
interesting stats I might add.... thanks... [and you are right ...they can't count....chuckle]

Last edited:
Asguard,
The issue isn't about any particular "prividged information" but any priviledged information.
The OP isn't about sexual abuse, as this is only being used as an example [re: paedophilia going underground due to mandatory reporting laws.]

The question is one of trust in confidentiality when offerred with out exception.

and how that poses significant vexation upon that councillor.
I guess similar to that of a Priest [confessional] or Doctor prior to mandatory reporting laws etc were enacted.
Ultimately it is a question or vexation of personal Integrity and that which we offer others.

firstly there is no need to state that child abuse is reportable because the goverment does that, its one of the most well known pieces of legislation. Its a little different between states. For instance in the NT EVERYONE is a manditory reporter and its concidered that any sign of sexual activity such as buying condoms by anyone under 18 to be indicitive of sexual abuse and reportable. Personally i think this is a HUGE problem and stupidity but the other states are much more rational in that the proffessions i stated before are the manditory reporters.

You would have more luck arguing the other reasons for breaking confidence but even then my personal feeling (as someone in the health sector) is your being to black and white about the issue. It might be great to sit back and say "sorry dont tell me that i dont want to know", i have done it to a patient myself (i didnt want him to tell me HOW he was injured because i didnt want to testify to the fight in court) but in certain situations you dont have that luxtury, at least not if you want to act in the best interest of the pt

firstly there is no need to state that child abuse is reportable because the goverment does that, its one of the most well known pieces of legislation. Its a little different between states. For instance in the NT EVERYONE is a manditory reporter and its concidered that any sign of sexual activity such as buying condoms by anyone under 18 to be indicitive of sexual abuse and reportable. Personally i think this is a HUGE problem and stupidity but the other states are much more rational in that the proffessions i stated before are the manditory reporters.

You would have more luck arguing the other reasons for breaking confidence but even then my personal feeling (as someone in the health sector) is your being to black and white about the issue. It might be great to sit back and say "sorry dont tell me that i dont want to know", i have done it to a patient myself (i didnt want him to tell me HOW he was injured because i didnt want to testify to the fight in court) but in certain situations you dont have that luxtury, at least not if you want to act in the best interest of the pt
yes I agree that I have polarised the issue - to aid in clarification. [dialectic method]
and so far the results have assisted me with the vexation I mentioned really well.

Back