The Purpose of Life

I should say everyone...who read this main post....

"So, what is your personal views...Are you going to come back many times? Let us hear it...."

We were bred into our shared co-evolutionary biom to be exactly who we are, doing exacatly what we are doing.
The primary producers were here first, altering the chemistry of the oceans and then the atmosphere. After the iron had taken up all the oxygen it could they continued to produce their waste product and were poisoning the the atmosphere with too much oxygen. Meanwhile, they were starving for lack of CO2. They needed O consumers and CO2 producers sufficient to meet their needs. the insects couldn't do it, the amphibions couldn;t do it, the reptiles couldn't do it, finally a divergent mammalian species developed the ability to produce CO2 and consume oxygen beyond the simple inhale-exhale pattern that preceded us.

The primary producers need our energy consuming natures. We are the lords of fire. We are the salvation of the primary producers all without intending the fulfilling of that necessary symbiotic relationship for which we have evolved.

Don't worry. Just know that we evolved within a shared co-evolutionary biom as a necessary part of that biom. Live is the purpose of life.

Life is 'the purpose' indeed, and it need not be human life, though we think so highly of ourselves. If we muck up the habitat to our own detriment or even demise, it makes not a whit of difference to the universe or the greater amount of biomass which is microscopic in nature and which actually enables our existence at all.

If homo sapiens dies out, it won't be the first failed primate and likely not the last. Someone, somewhere at some time will unearth our petrified remains and wonder at how primitive our lives must have been.

Life is 'the purpose' indeed, and it need not be human life, though we think so highly of ourselves. If we muck up the habitat to our own detriment or even demise, it makes not a whit of difference to the universe or the greater amount of biomass which is microscopic in nature and which actually enables our existence at all.

If homo sapiens dies out, it won't be the first failed primate and likely not the last. Someone, somewhere at some time will unearth our petrified remains and wonder at how primitive our lives must have been.

If life is the purpose, dead things means we are pointless. We must only rise.

The purpose of life is to exist because it is as part of the Universe as the galaxies are

There is otherwise no purpose to life , life just can be , because it can

It is up to Humanity to give life its purpose

Which is to have Humanity exist as long as possible

While we are discussing the Purpose of Life...and we may continue to do so...and you are GOOD....I have this issue show up this morning and need to take this subject somewhere in sciforums to discuss it...please help on Philosophy...using Science...

"Very nice…we need a decent philosophy such that these problems go away and not come back to any civilization for say Ten million years…it sounds like the “Foundation” of Asimov books….It is sad but we need to develop that process and philosophy….thank you."

The idea is, we need to develop a PHILOSOPHY such that Humans need this for say next TEN Million years such that Economies do not COLLAPSE and the society grows and improves....in science and philosophy. Our past is a process we need to learn and find out what happened and do something better. So, if you agree we need to take this and start the discussions in another section?

Thank you.

http://economyincrisis.org/content/...ages-by-addressing-productivity#comment-27066

Our purpose has been to overcome, or put pretty brashly, to conquer nature. This has been it whether we admit it or not, since we became sentient, and especially, self-aware. As Scheherazade touched upon, we do it best by cooperating, which, and with deference to Arne, requires kindness at all times in order to succeed. Note, I implore readers not to take lessons from Islamic State in the Levant or Syria.

Our purpose has been to overcome, or put pretty brashly, to conquer nature. This has been it whether we admit it or not, since we became sentient, and especially, self-aware. As Scheherazade touched upon, we do it best by cooperating, which, and with deference to Arne, requires kindness at all times in order to succeed. Note, I implore readers not to take lessons from Islamic State in the Levant or Syria.

To the first statement , sort of agree but also work with Nature

There is no purpose of life, any more than there is a purpose for quartz or the moon titan. That being said, since people happen to be sentient we get to assign any 'purpose' to life that we choose. A pretty enviable ability I would say.

"What is the purpose of Life?"

Knowing as a spirit we live for eternity and knowing that there are 10+1 dimensions...what are we doing here? I know I need to stay close to my Family and Friends in here and in spirit...but then what is going on for the next 10 million years or more....

Family is first...but then why the Family...that is what is the Purpose over eternity?
If you really KNOW (as opposed to merely believing) that consciousness is ETERNAL the question of purpose would never arise.

A purpose is only sought as a distraction from mortality.

Does a Mozart melody have a goal or objective?
What is the purpose of a beautiful sunset?
It has none, but we can enjoy it nevertheless.

Life serves it's own purpose, which is to beget more life. Not everyone needs to beget, there are plenty of supporting roles.

But if any individual life has no intrinsic value...what is the point in merely creating more lives?

The Austrian psychiatrist Victor Frankl who wrote a popular book called "Man's Search for Meaning" used to address this issue often in his essays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Frankl

To reiterate

The purpose of life is to exist because it is as part of the Universe as the galaxies are

There is otherwise no purpose to life , life just can be , because it can

It is up to Humanity to give life its purpose

Which is to have Humanity exist as long as possible

The purpose of life varies with the individual and culture, and from time to time. Today, my purpose is to live as best as I can. That includes many personal things: effectiveness, longevity, pleasure, reciprocation, and other ways to help people in the world. The last thing involves a lot of overcoming the bad way life generally works, which is self-aggrandizing and tending to take from others.

Back