The Privileged Universe

Bork

I prefer to stay within known science. Your 'exotic atom' may or may not have merit. As things are right now, it is pure speculation.

It's far from speculation. Exotic atoms have been experimentally observed and produced since the 1940's at the latest, and possibly even earlier. Read the Wikipedia article I cited on exotic atoms and check its sources if you don't believe me. On the other hand, your assertions about chemistry in alternative universes are in fact pure speculation at best, because we don't have the computing power to draw absolute conclusions one way or the other, and we certainly don't have any physical means of putting such ideas to the test.

My reference made it clear that minor changes in physical constants would mean no stars. Also no atoms larger than Helium. If we refrain from entering the world of science fiction speculation, this means no life.

As I just mentioned in my last post, your reference contains the following statement in its conclusion section, amongst a multitude of other statements which contradict your interpretation:

We have examined possible natural explanations for the anthropic coincidences. A wide variation of constants of physics has been shown to lead to universes that are long-lived enough for complex matter to evolve, though human life would certainly not exist in such universes.

Tell me how this contradicts what I've said in any way whatsoever. Again, I'm drawing this quote directly from the same source you're attempting to use as your support. The abstract at the very beginning makes similar statements. Complex molecules and chemicals are not ruled out in universes with alternative physical constants, your source is very clear on this point right from the outset. Indeed, your source says there are a vast multitude of choices for the universal constants which are already known to mathematically lead to complex chemicals, that such a result is very common when physicists run the simulations.

At the end of all this, we are still left with the fact that our universe has no fewer than six physical constants that, if veried only slightly, would mean no stars, galaxies or life.

Why does your chosen source ultimately draw the exact opposite conclusion at the end? How can you possibly interpret the statements I quoted directly from your source to support your POV?

We can interpret this as the privileged universe. The explanation for this is either a creator deity or the multiverse.

No, this is a completely unjustified attempt to limit the scope of the debate. There are indeed other alternatives, including the one I personally cited. I'm not trying to rule out the idea of multiverses, but to argue that one has to choose between believing either in parallel universes or else supernatural ones is both absurd and unsubstantiated at present. Going back to the Sean Carroll talk I mentioned personally attending, why was virtually everyone in the room (all physicists) so enthusiastic about discussing the theoretical topic of dark matter chemistry, if chemistry in its known conventional form is the only type of chemistry that can exist?

Last edited:
Bork

I did not say that our chemistry is the only one that can exist. I said that the idea of exotic atoms as the basis for life was speculation. Which it is. It may be right. It may be wrong. I do not know and neither do you. And I prefer not to get into a discussion that depends on something that may well not exist. Pure speculation.

The 'privileged universe' situation, though, is not speculative. It is real, and it is that which I wanted to discuss.

Other universes that can support life are entirely possible, and I have not said otherwise. How many such universes exist will depend on how many universes there are in total. A minor variation in physical constants will lead to a universe without stars and without life. However, an even more minor variation(s) will lead to universes that can.

The thing is, though, that if the super-string theory prediction is correct, and there are E500 universes with a wide range of physical conditions, the vast bulk of them will be unable to support life.

I did not say that our chemistry is the only one that can exist. I said that the idea of exotic atoms as the basis for life was speculation. Which it is. It may be right. It may be wrong. I do not know and neither do you. And I prefer not to get into a discussion that depends on something that may well not exist. Pure speculation.

The 'privileged universe' situation, though, is not speculative. It is real, and it is that which I wanted to discuss.

On the one hand, you admit that a universe with stable atoms, similar to experimentally proven exotic atoms, might possibly give rise to some form of intelligent life. On the other hand, with very narrow considerations, you claim that our universe, the only one we've ever actually detected, has some kind of special life-giving privileges over all other possibilities outside a very thin margin, and say this is "reality". Which one is it, then?

A minor variation in physical constants will lead to a universe without stars and without life. However, an even more minor variation(s) will lead to universes that can.

Once again, your own source says the exact opposite:

Still, we have no basis for ruling out other forms of matter than molecules in the
universe as building blocks of complex systems. While atomic nuclei, for example, do
not exhibit the diversity and complexity seen in the way atoms assemble into molecular
structures, perhaps they might be able to do so in a universe with different properties.
This is only speculation, but I am not claiming to have a theory of such systems, merely
pointing out that no known theory says that such life forms are impossible.
Sufficient complexity and long life may be the only ingredients needed for a
universe to have some form of life. Those who argue that life is highly improbable fail to
admit that life could be possible with many different configurations of laws and
constants of physics.

And

As an example, I have analyzed 100 universes in which the values of the four parameters were generated randomly from a
range five orders of magnitude above to five orders of magnitude below their values in
our universe, that is, over a total range of ten orders of magnitude. Over this range of
parameter variation, N1 is at least $$10^{33}$$ and N2 at least $$10^{20}$$ in most cases, as seen in
Figure 1. That is, both are still very large numbers. Although many pairs do not have
N1 = N2, an approximate coincidence between these two quantities is not very rare.
The distribution of stellar lifetimes for these same 100 universes is shown in
Figure 2. While a few lifetimes are low, most are probably high enough to allow time
for stellar evolution and heavy element nucleosynthesis. Over half the universes have
stars that live at least a billion years. Long life may not be the only requirement for life,
but it certainly is not an unusual property of universes.

Those look like total deal killers for what you're claiming. This isn't my link, you provided it as your own basis. You also fail to account for ways of adjusting the parameters by substantial amounts while leaving key ratios intact, and you haven't even begun to think about universes where stars behave in vastly more intricate ways than they do in our own universe, possibly giving rise to life in far greater abundance. Nope, all we can say with confidence is that other universes would almost certainly be incapable of giving rise to organisms operating on DNA.

The thing is, though, that if the super-string theory prediction is correct, and there are E500 universes with a wide range of physical conditions, the vast bulk of them will be unable to support life.

Firstly you're confusing Superstrings with M-Theory, secondly it doesn't say there are $$10^{500}$$ universes floating around out there, it says there are $$10^{500}$$ different possible vacuum states that universes such as ours could choose from.

Bork

You said :

"all we can say with confidence is that other universes would almost certainly be incapable of giving rise to organisms operating on DNA. "

Which, put another way, says that other universes to the best of our knowledge are unlikely to harbour life.

DNA is a very special molecule. Without it, and its sister molecule RNA, life as we know it could not exist. If you want to talk of life without DNA, using exotic atoms, you are way out in speculationville.

We know that there are at least six universal constants, which are within a very narrow band of value required for life. If any of these varied only marginally, life could not exist. In fact, the wider universe could not exist in anything like its present form. It is almost as if the universe was 'designed' for life. Clearly, an argument for a creator deity.
This perspective is very similar to a cake.

No one would be surprised to find that the shape of a cake is a perfect match to the shape of the baking tin in which it is cooked. The tin came first and the cake was the perfect match result.

What creationists would have us believe is that the cake came first and that the tin was then shaped to fit the cake. Easy to see how this is ludicrous just as most of us should be able to see the similar irrationality of creation.

DNA is a very special molecule. Without it, and its sister molecule RNA, life as we know it could not exist. If you want to talk of life without DNA, using exotic atoms, you are way out in speculationville.

So when I point out that DNA/RNA are by no means proven to be the only ways life might arise, especially in a hypothetical untested universe where chemicals would interact in a radically different way, you say it's mere speculation and brush it off. Yet when you argue that anything living must be made of DNA/RNA, and that we can only logically choose between multiverses and superstition, you say it's an absolute proven fact. No, sorry but you're way off on the second part. Unlike you, I don't make any absolute claims about what might lie outside this universe, which means your ideas are just as speculative as mine, if not more so. When you've made like Captain Kirk and explored life on other planets and in other universes, then you can tell me all about the "realities" underpinning the formation of life.

This perspective is very similar to a cake.

No one would be surprised to find that the shape of a cake is a perfect match to the shape of the baking tin in which it is cooked. The tin came first and the cake was the perfect match result.

What creationists would have us believe is that the cake came first and that the tin was then shaped to fit the cake. Easy to see how this is ludicrous just as most of us should be able to see the similar irrationality of creation.

Amen to that.

Bork

Please do not overstate things or put words in my mouth. I used the phrase "as far as we know". Talking about life based on exotic atoms and without DNA/RNA is clearly speculation. It may or may not have some truth, but is highly unlikely to have much bearing on our current discussion, even if true.

My initial question has been hijacked. While you have the right to do this, I am still disappointed.

If there are some universes apart from ours that have life, they will be a minority, since any major change in the six vital physical constants will lead to universes unrecognisable by comparison to our own.

So even accepting that there may be a small number (relative to the total) of universes with life, the basic idea of the anthropic principle still applies, assuming the multiverse is real.

My original question was to compare the twin ideas explaining the 'privileged universe'. ie. comparing the idea of a creator deity to the idea of the multiverse.

Bork

Please do not overstate things or put words in my mouth. I used the phrase "as far as we know". Talking about life based on exotic atoms and without DNA/RNA is clearly speculation. It may or may not have some truth, but is highly unlikely to have much bearing on our current discussion, even if true.

The way you phrased the initial question, it didn't look at all like you were talking about life based exclusively on DNA/RNA, it looked like you were talking about life in general. Here's part of your OP:

We know that there are at least six universal constants, which are within a very narrow band of value required for life. If any of these varied only marginally, life could not exist. In fact, the wider universe could not exist in anything like its present form. It is almost as if the universe was 'designed' for life. Clearly, an argument for a creator deity.

Where is the qualifier stating you're only talking about life based on the same chemicals as the organisms found to date near Earth's surface and parts of Earth's oceans?

If there are some universes apart from ours that have life, they will be a minority, since any major change in the six vital physical constants will lead to universes unrecognisable by comparison to our own.

Who's to say it wouldn't be a majority instead? Since you admit you can't speculate about life beyond that based on DNA/RNA, where do you draw your facts and conclusions from?

My original question was to compare the twin ideas explaining the 'privileged universe'. ie. comparing the idea of a creator deity to the idea of the multiverse.

Then why do you assert the anthropic principle applies only in a multiverse scenario? It works equally well in the scenario where ours is the only universe in existence. No miracle is needed to explain our existence, because we have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not some form of life could develop in a universe with radically different numbers. If not us asking the "why", it could just as easily be some other life form asking the same question in our place. Indeed, the most commonly used model of Big Bang cosmology suggests our universe is infinite in size and could contain an infinite number of stars, planets and galaxies, so if there's even the smallest chance of life sprouting up in 0.000001% of galaxies, it would still pop up somewhere.

The alternative argument is the Anthropic Principle. This suggest that there are, in fact, numerous universes, with a wide range of values for all universal constants. Life and humans live in this universe for the simple reason that it is the only one in which we can live.

My initial question has been hijacked. While you have the right to do this, I am still disappointed.

Your initial question is an open invitation for Intelligent Design evangelists to accuse skeptics of fleeing God by postulating parallel universes. The anthropic principle does not require the multiverse in any way, and works with or without it equally well. If you edit your OP to make it clear you're only discussing life based on DNA and RNA, or that there are indeed rational alternatives to the two you suggest, I'd be happy to leave the discussion to multiversalists and theologians.

maybe god created the universe to prove life couldn't exist but was proved wrong and instead of destroying it and starting over just got bored and walked (or floated) away.

The anthropic principle does not work in a single universe situation, because the probability of such a 'privileged universe' coming into existence as the only universe is mind blowingly small.

Statement from Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

"The observed values of the dimensionless physical constants (such as the fine-structure constant) governing the four fundamental interactions are balanced as if fine-tuned to permit the formation of commonly found matter and subsequently the emergence of life. A slight increase in the strong nuclear force would bind the dineutron and the diproton, and nuclear fusion would have converted all hydrogen in the early universe to helium. Water and the long-lived stable stars essential for the emergence of life would not exist. More generally, small changes in the relative strengths of the four fundamental interactions can greatly affect the universe's age, structure, and capacity for life."

In other words, most values for various physical constants would lead to universes without life.

I find your insistence on exotic atoms and non nucleic acid based life too speculative. There is no data suggesting that these can exist at all, in any universe. This makes reference to them a bit like talking about fairies at the bottom of the garden.

However, the 'privileged universe' concept is real. The values of physical constants are known and clear cut. The consequence of varying those values is easily calculable.

The anthropic principle does not work in a single universe situation, because the probability of such a 'privileged universe' coming into existence as the only universe is mind blowingly small.

When you can put an upper bound on this probability through actual calculations, let me know. 'Til then, for all you know the probability could be mindblowingly huge. There's nothing privileged about our universe until you establish that no form of intelligent life could arise with virtually any other choice of physical constants. You admit you can't do so and call my alternatives speculation, so your assertions to the contrary are equally speculative.

Statement from Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

"The observed values of the dimensionless physical constants (such as the fine-structure constant) governing the four fundamental interactions are balanced as if fine-tuned to permit the formation of commonly found matter and subsequently the emergence of life. A slight increase in the strong nuclear force would bind the dineutron and the diproton, and nuclear fusion would have converted all hydrogen in the early universe to helium. Water and the long-lived stable stars essential for the emergence of life would not exist. More generally, small changes in the relative strengths of the four fundamental interactions can greatly affect the universe's age, structure, and capacity for life."

In other words, most values for various physical constants would lead to universes without life.

It says water and long-lived stable stars wouldn't exist. Firstly, you admit water isn't the only way life might come into existence (we've only looked at part of 1 planet in any real detail), and in other universes there can be other chemicals doing the job equally well. Secondly, this paragraph doesn't contain any references, and the whole point of referencing is to avoid dependence on the opinions of the users who read and edit the articles. On the other hand, the source you quoted last time said stable, long-lived stars will most often form in abundance and last a billion years or more, despite a wide range of random variations in the various physical constants.

This time around, the Wikipedia article you referred to also contains the following:
The anthropic principle has given rise to some confusion and controversy, partly because the phrase has been applied to several distinct ideas. All versions of the principle have been accused of discouraging the search for a deeper physical understanding of the universe. Those attempting to explain the anthropic principle often invoke ideas of multiple universes or an intelligent designer,[5] both controversial and criticized for being untestable and therefore critics of the anthropic principle may point out that the anthropic principle is more of a philosophical concept, not a scientific one. One way to bypass the controversy is to emphasize the weak anthropic principle: "...conditions that are observed in the universe must allow the observer to exist.".[6] In mathematics and philosophy, the weak form of a statement is one which is "easier" to support, e.g. it makes fewer claims of substance. Even critics of the weak anthropic principle recognize that it is a tautology or truism, - which means a true statement, albeit a "vacuously true" statement.[7] However, building up other substantive arguments based on a tautological foundation is problematic. Stronger variants of the anthropic principle are not tautologies and make substantive claims which may be considered controversial by some.

The article also contains a link to another Wikipedia article. That article in turn contains the following statement:

Computer simulations suggest that not all of the purportedly "fine-tuned" parameters may be as fine-tuned as has been claimed. Victor Stenger has simulated different universes in which four fundamental parameters are varied (electromagnetic interaction, strong nuclear interaction, electron mass, and proton mass; tuning of other parameters such as the cosmological constant was not considered). He found that long-lived stars could exist over a wide parameter range, and concluded that "... a wide variation of constants of physics leads to universes that are long-lived enough for life to evolve, although human life need not exist in such universes".[7] Fred Adams has done a similar study, investigating the structure of stars in universes with different values of the gravitational constant G, the fine-structure constant α, and a nuclear reaction rate parameter C. His study suggests that roughly 25% of this parameter space allows stars to exist, but not necessarily to form--star formation was "beyond the scope" of his investigation. His "relatively modest" goals also did not extend to variations of other fundamental constants or to considerations of habitability.[8] Harnik, Kribs and Perez have argued for the viability of a universe with no weak interaction at all. However, they noted that their analysis does not extend to the extreme fine tuning of the cosmological constant, and concluded that "the fine-tuning problems associated with the electroweak breaking scale and the cosmological constant appear to be qualitatively different from the perspective of obtaining a habitable universe."

Your claims are not substantive by any means, unless you restrict your discussion to life operating on the same chemical mechanisms as humans. I strongly advise that you edit the OP and make the distinction more clear.

I find your insistence on exotic atoms and non nucleic acid based life too speculative. There is no data suggesting that these can exist at all, in any universe. This makes reference to them a bit like talking about fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Talk about our universe as being "privileged" for life, i.e. life in any shape or form of any sort, is a lot closer to talk about fairies. At least exotic chemistry has some mathematical and experimental basis to it, however limited at present. You haven't explored a single other planet or universe, and our limited computing power makes absolutely no definite conclusions about complex molecules and life forms in this universe or any other.

However, the 'privileged universe' concept is real. The values of physical constants are known and clear cut. The consequence of varying those values is easily calculable.

It's not real, it's total speculation. Once again, I respectfully ask that you edit the OP to admit there are scientifically valid alternatives to multiverses and supernatural creators. You admit you can't rule out my claims (or still other scientific alternatives such as a universe where the constants can vary over time), so then stop calling the "privileged universe" an absolute fact. Change the OP to reflect that you're only discussing life based on DNA and RNA, or that there are other alternatives to the ones you wish to discuss. As long as your arguments continue to serve as a backdoor for ID proponents to make false claims about science, I have plenty of grounds for challenging your claims.

Back