The Ponderings of a Very Tired Man

invert_nexus

Ze do caixao
Valued Senior Member
I don't have much time. Nor do I have the requisite energy such a topic might require to be more than just a simple question. However, I have noticed that it's the simple threads that get reponses (fuckers!).

So.

A question on the burning of fatty acids (and ultimately the production of ATP through the breaking down of glucose.

There are two places in the animal cell where fatty acids are burned. The more efficient is in the mitochondria. The less efficient is in the peroxisomes (which ultimately exports Acetyl CoA for processing in the mitochondria (although I think that I remember that it serves other purposes as well... I'm tired and don't have the energy to look everything up. Bear with me.)

Basically. Here's my main question. The production of sweat. Water is created in both the mitochondria and the peroxisome in both the burning of fatty acids and the breaking down of glucose. Not as much is produced as ATP is produced of course. But still. Several molecules of water are produced for each go round.

I was thinking that, in this case, why do we require so much water when exercising?

The answer is, of course, because we sweat. This is not my question.

My wonderment is over the issue of what happens to the water produced in the cells? Does it get flushed out of the cell in order to maintain a beneficial environment within the cell? Does it then get transferred to the sweat glands?

Stupid question, I suppose. But I would be interested on certain people's thoughts on the matter.

Also. Am I correct in reading (I'm reading Lodish's 5th edition Molecular Cellular Biology textbook) that peroxisomes create more heat in the burning of fatty acids than do mitochondria?

Sorry for the poorly constructed subject matter of this thread. It's just some thoughts that passed through my head and I wanted to ask.

Anybody?

invert_nexus said:
...My wonderment is over the issue of what happens to the water produced in the cells? ... It's just some thoughts that passed through my head and I wanted to ask...
If this is the "I wonder tread" I think you have a strange wonder, but not even close to one that has troubled me for years:

Why are peas green?

Producing chlorophyll must be a big energy cost for something that is supposed to be storing energy and exists inside an opaque shell.

Originally, it has been posited, the green pigmentation in peas came about directly as a consequence, originally, of just the one pea wanting to find a way of distinguishing itself from its other pod-members - the age old adage concerning pea's of a pod being much of a likeness, after centuries of being defined in such terms, eventually begins to chaff.

Alas, though pulling off the equivalent of evolving the apposal thumb in pea pigmentation terms, the pea in question singularly failed to take into account the truth regarding the age old adage concerning peas of a pod being much of a likeness, etc...

For in being successful in changing its colour to a differentiating shade of green, as apposed to the pale sea mist blue all pea's originally were, every other pea in the same pod came to exactly the same decision at exactly the same time, consequently peas became green and the age old adage concerning peas of a pod, etc, still chaffs at the bit even to this very day.

These are facts. I suggest you all open your minds to the possibilities and be prepared to let the rain fill up your skull pans like I have....

There were some green peas that turned evil and disguised themselves in the devil's colour, brown. This cult of peas started naming themselves beans. Some cult members split off. They saw the light of jesus and he made them white. They still called themselves beans.

A crazy world.

fraud! debunker!

HahAHAHAHHAHAhhahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!!! u are exposed!

I was thinking that, in this case, why do we require so much water when exercising?

I'm not sure why you're thinking that the production of water in the mitocondria and peroxisomes requires us to drink more water during exercise. All they're doing is digesting fatty acids and carbohydrates. Where does water enter the picture?

I think the reason we require more water during exercise is to cool the body. We have mechanisms that expel water (which is already in us) to the outside of our bodies to take advantage of its ability to carry heat when we are hot.

Does it get flushed out of the cell in order to maintain a beneficial environment within the cell? Does it then get transferred to the sweat glands?

I really don't know, but I would imagine that would be the case. Water is a byproduct of respiration so the cell can't just keep creating water, never getting rid of it. If it did, it would die of cytolysis.

The answer (or part of the answer) btw is 'lymphatic system'

Another part of the answer is:

Yet another important role of the Na+-K+ pump in most animal cells is to maintain osmotic balance and cell volume. The cytoplasm contains a high concentration of organic molecules, including macromolecules, amino acids, sugars, and nucleotides. In the absence of a counterbalance, this would drive the inward flow of water by osmosis, which if unchecked would result in swelling and eventual bursting of the cell. The required counterbalance is provided by the ion gradients established by the Na+-K+ pump (Figure 12.29). In particular, the pump establishes a higher concentration of Na+ outside than inside the cell. As already discussed, the flow of K+ through open channels further establishes an electric potential across the plasma membrane. This membrane potential in turn drives Cl- out of the cell, so the concentration of Cl- (like that of Na+) is about ten times higher in extracellular fluids than in the cytoplasm. These differences in ion concentrations balance the high concentrations of organic molecules inside cells, equalizing the osmotic pressure and preventing the net influx of water.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...+AND+165890[uid]&rid=cooper.section.1986#2004

Last edited:
lies! fraud!

peas are extraterrestrial in originals, you're just a dupe for
the military/fascist conspiricy which wants to enslave us in
ignoramous whilst et gets whimsical with our nether regions.

Ha! u are now exposed! Hang you head in shame
and trouble the Loah, no more.

troll! homanid! liberache!

Hahahahahhaha!Hahahahahhahhaha!

see how i larf at you, debunker! HAHA. see how the Troof mocks your trousers of lies!

Hahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahhahahah!

(oh, i say, do excuse me there old man.... laughed to much for a minute there i was seeing stars. Now, where was i? ah, yes...)

Hahahahahahhaahahahahahahhahahahaha!
Hahahahahahahhaahhahhahahah!

HA.

ha.ha.

ha.

h. now we'll see who has the biggest pencil.

[Good question. Truth be told Gustav, we don't know why you do that either - but, not under the slightest illusion you're not going to tell us.

I'm not sure why you're thinking that the production of water in the mitocondria and peroxisomes requires us to drink more water during exercise.
'cuase he totally wanted yall to know that he knew about peroxisomes, acetylocaholine and ATP.

To be sure, I don't really know what this thread is truly asking, but there's a word for it that starts with a and ends with doxography.

I kid, I kid!!
But at least we get to get togehter and roast Gustavio. Five minutes and counting....

I have another question relating to this.

Since plants take carbon dioxide and water and turn it into sugar, when we burn sugar we get carbon dioxide and water.

According to my calculations, glucos has a molecular weight of 192 and the 6 water molecules you get from breaking it apart have a combined weight of 108.

That would mean for every pound of sugar (glucose, not table sugar) you ate, you'd get just over half that back in water.

So why can't we just live off eating sugar?

Gustav said:
mmm
darling girl
you returned
i am complete

Gustav, must you foist your unspeakable appetites on poor Gendanken, the poor man's only responding to Nexus.

Back