The Passion

water said:
In a way, the Bible does achieve something very important that otherwise could hardly come to pass: It triggers one to inquire, thoroughly, and that makes a person humble.
I don't know. I think this has more to do with the person than the book. The right person can find revelation in a raindrop. The 'wrong' person can be smacked in the face and still not see what lies underneath.

Sin transcends the sinner. Not in the sense that the child would be culpable of the sin of his parents, but in the sense that the sin of his parents corrupted a child, and turned him to sining.
This is the fall from grace I mentioned. It is total as far as God is concerned. If death is the answer then why bother? Why not just kill the rest of us and have done with it?

Hence mercy and Jesus, to make amends and to offer an example of how to get out of such a troubling situation.
It's the make amends part I can't accept. I have trouble trusting a God that demands a blood sacrifice as remuneration. It just won't fit into my ethics.

But this is the only way to believe in justice! In human society, justice is never done, we have merely convenience.
It's the expectation of justice that confuses me... the demand for it actually. But this is not the only way to believe in it. Justice is an ideal. Like all ideals it doesn't really exist, they are something to strive towards.

~Raithere

Raithere,

I don't know. I think this has more to do with the person than the book. The right person can find revelation in a raindrop. The 'wrong' person can be smacked in the face and still not see what lies underneath.

I think this is so with all things.

Sin transcends the sinner. Not in the sense that the child would be culpable of the sin of his parents, but in the sense that the sin of his parents corrupted a child, and turned him to sining.

This is the fall from grace I mentioned. It is total as far as God is concerned. If death is the answer then why bother? Why not just kill the rest of us and have done with it?

When Jesus comes, he explains how the Law was not enough, and people were condemned by it even though they might not have been guilty themselves. If there were only the Law, then whatever we have or do or happens to us, this is it -- and we're doomed. This is not fair (Why should the victim be damned for the harm others have inflicted on him/her?), so God decided to make amends.

It's the make amends part I can't accept. I have trouble trusting a God that demands a blood sacrifice as remuneration. It just won't fit into my ethics.

Oh. I'ts not you who has to make a blood sacrifice. God did it, so that no other would be necessary. And the sacrifice had to be final (blood sacrifice; death of the body), as nothing else is enough -- in the sense that the worst that can happen to a person is to be tortured and killed.

It's the expectation of justice that confuses me... the demand for it actually. But this is not the only way to believe in it. Justice is an ideal. Like all ideals it doesn't really exist, they are something to strive towards.

Realists would argue here. Striving for things that don't really exist is insanity.

Cottontop3000 said:
Him creating us was an effect? What was the cause?

God's actions was the cause, in creating us. If you mean what are the reasons He created us for, then all I could do honestly at this stage is speculate, so here it goes.

I know that God doesn't need us, but He created us in anyway. So this leads me to think that maybe He created us so we could enjoy His creation and to have fellowship with Him.

God knew Adam and Eve would rebel, in doing so this created true free will. At the end of the Bible it talks about a new heaven and earth, maybe the people who used their free will wisely or were just righteous people by choice, all make it to this place and have everlasting fellowship with God, as well as being able to pursue their own interests such as studying God's creation with infinite time on their hands.

I do know that this place is a stepping stone.

Dave

Matthew 9:12-14
12But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
13But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Raithere said:
I just happen to think it's horrific and immoral. One person screws up and everybody gets fucked... even people who couldn't conceivably have anything to do with the cause of the reprisal.

You are in good company with this way of thinking.

Genesis 18

23And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
25That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
26And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.
27And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD, which am but dust and ashes:
28Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
29And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
30And he said unto him, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
31And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
32And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
33And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

So tell me, based upon God's example, if we catch a murder should we kill his children too?

I don't follow God's example, I try my best to follow Jesus':

Luke 6:37
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Dave

water said:
When Jesus comes, he explains how the Law was not enough, and people were condemned by it even though they might not have been guilty themselves. If there were only the Law, then whatever we have or do or happens to us, this is it -- and we're doomed. This is not fair (Why should the victim be damned for the harm others have inflicted on him/her?), so God decided to make amends.
In which case we're back to God's killing of children being immoral. You can't have it both ways. Either we are all deserving of death and should all be killed or Jesus's sacrifice can save us. You can't tell me that it's an act of mercy for the children of one group of sinners to be killed and the children of another group should have a chance at life. Or rather you can but then don't tell me that God's ethics make any logical sense.

Oh. I'ts not you who has to make a blood sacrifice. God did it, so that no other would be necessary. And the sacrifice had to be final (blood sacrifice; death of the body), as nothing else is enough -- in the sense that the worst that can happen to a person is to be tortured and killed.
Yes, I get it that Jesus became the scapegoat. My problem is with God's need for a sacrifice in the first place. I find it ethically repugnant. How does something that horrific rectify anything? This is bloodthirsty vengeance, not justice, and certainly not mercy, compassion or love.

Realists would argue here. Striving for things that don't really exist is insanity.
Then I would tell the realists that only insane people can ever create something. Before the first chair was ever built, it didn't exist. The same goes for everything humans ever made. Therefore, all progress is attributable to insanity and the sane accomplish nothing.

Actually, I kinda like that for some perverse reason. ;)

~Raithere

Raithere,

In which case we're back to God's killing of children being immoral. You can't have it both ways. Either we are all deserving of death and should all be killed or Jesus's sacrifice can save us. You can't tell me that it's an act of mercy for the children of one group of sinners to be killed and the children of another group should have a chance at life. Or rather you can but then don't tell me that God's ethics make any logical sense.

Oh, the discrepancies only appear if we say that all there is to existence is earthly life. Christianity says there is more to it.

What may be the main source of troubling is this: How come some people live long, happy, rich lives, while others have to die in misery as children. This is not fair. And even if we add eternal life and mercy, it's still not fair.

And it is not fair because of the problem of identity. In Christianity, one should not identify with the things of the world, as they are all perishable, not lasting.
If you believe that your possessions, your education, your looks, your family, your friends etc. intrinsically define who you are, and if you believe that you would be nothing without all that, then you can hardly come to heaven.

God's ethics only make sense if you admit that it is only without Him, that you are nothing. If you admit that all worldly possessions can be taken away from you, and you still retain your identity because it is safe with God, then you will enter the kingdom of heaven.

This view has traditionally deranged into gnosticism ("matter bad, spirit good"), but I don't believe this is how it was meant to be.

Valuing the spiritual does not automatically mean devaluing the material. God made the world and it was good, matter is very good. It is just not good to depend on it to define your identity by it, because that way, you are bound to matter, and perish with it.
Like people who kill themselves or give up on themselves after they have lost their spouse, job, home, ... They think they are nothing without those people or things. Life becomes unbearable for them.

Yes, I get it that Jesus became the scapegoat. My problem is with God's need for a sacrifice in the first place. I find it ethically repugnant. How does something that horrific rectify anything? This is bloodthirsty vengeance, not justice, and certainly not mercy, compassion or love.

No no no. The sacrifice was there for the people to see, people needed it. God didn't need it for Himself.
I believe God interacts with people always in a manner they can understand. But if people are brutal, God has to use brutal ways to make Himself understood to them (He could use other ways, but that would mean infringing on people's freedom). It is the people who are bloodthirsty and full of vengeance. Only the worst appeases them.

(You can also observe this in the popular idea that "a person truly loves you only if they are willing to die for you", or better yet "a person has truly loved you only if they died for you". This is how little faith people have in love. It's a shame.)

Then I would tell the realists that only insane people can ever create something. Before the first chair was ever built, it didn't exist. The same goes for everything humans ever made. Therefore, all progress is attributable to insanity and the sane accomplish nothing.

Exactly.
And faith (and I mean faith in general) is also such a thing, a means to accomplish something, a vision of what could be. One must first have a vision, before one can make something in reality.

Actually, I kinda like that for some perverse reason.

Hehe.
If humans would be consequent realists, we'd still be in the savannah.

water said:
Oh, the discrepancies only appear if we say that all there is to existence is earthly life. Christianity says there is more to it.
I don't see that. I'm taking into account Christian tales of the hereafter. In fact, I find that more troublesome than anything reputed to have happened to the living.

God's ethics only make sense if you admit that it is only without Him, that you are nothing. If you admit that all worldly possessions can be taken away from you, and you still retain your identity because it is safe with God, then you will enter the kingdom of heaven.
Better yet to accept that identity itself is transitory. Then there is nothing to loose. It's this furious grasp we have on our own ego that causes so much trouble.

Valuing the spiritual does not automatically mean devaluing the material.
I agree, but you're still stuck in the same false duality. It's problematic on a number of levels not the least of which is, as you stated, that it is misinterpreted as "matter bad, spirit good".

No no no. The sacrifice was there for the people to see, people needed it. God didn't need it for Himself.
I'm sorry but I just don't see this evinced in the Bible. God repeatedly demands and takes pleasure in sacrifice throughout the OT.

I believe God interacts with people always in a manner they can understand. But if people are brutal, God has to use brutal ways to make Himself understood to them (He could use other ways, but that would mean infringing on people's freedom). It is the people who are bloodthirsty and full of vengeance. Only the worst appeases them.
I don't see how this is any improvement. "God is brutal because that's all we understand"? First off, it's simply false. People are unlikely to learn anything when you treat them this way. The best you can hope for is obedience out of fear. Teaching requires understanding, consistency, and patience. It also doesn't say much about God that he can do no better than to lower himself to our standard. And we can always go back to wondering why God created us this way in the first place.

~Raithere

Back