The only truth about any religion

If you are a christian, it was because you were born to christian parents, probably in a christian country. If you are a muslim, it is because you were born to muslim parents. And so on. That is all your religion is. No divine insights, no messages from god telling you to follow his religion. It's all down to blind faith based on what your parents believed.
I'm going to have to disagree. I was certainly not raised Wiccan. I came to this religion because my philosophical views most closely matched Wicca's philosophical views. There are gaps, such as on theology, where I don't follow the mainstream thought in my religion, and I definitely do not blindly follow it. It's possible with any religion or philosophy (which I put no difference between).

Last edited:
If you are a christian, it was because you were born to christian parents, probably in a christian country. If you are a muslim, it is because you were born to muslim parents. And so on. That is all your religion is. No divine insights, no messages from god telling you to follow his religion. It's all down to blind faith based on what your parents believed.
Statistically this is correct.

There IS more to religion my friend (the OP). Take me for example. I was raised in the Christian chuch, by a Christian family, in a "Christian" country. But yet, I am not Christian at all.

Saying that we are only this way because of our upbringing is false in most cases. For example, just because someone is born in a poor family or raised in a poor country doesn't mean that they will be poor in thier life.

Ones personal choices in life, whether it be mentally, financially, physically or spiritually are not purely dependent on the choices or thier parents during thier upbringing.

Again, take myself as an example. Not only am I different from my parents when pertaining to religion, I am different in MANY other ways.

My parents never had tattoos. I've got 7.

My parents have always been and still are relatively poor, where as I make well above the national average (for the US).

My parents have different philosophies in life than I do.

Though I am my mothers and fathers son, I am unlike them in MANY ways. Just because they tried to raise me a certain way doesn't mean that that is who I've become. I, like everyone else in the world, am my own individual. My actions or choices are not dependant on anyone else except for myself. What I ultimately choose for myself is because of my judgement of what I find is right for me.

Saying that we are only this way because of our upbringing is false in most cases.
I'd say its true for most cases. Most people born today in the ME will be Muslim - why? Most people born today in Indian will be Hindu. Why? Most people born today in Japan will be Buddhist/Shinto. Why? Most people born today in Italy will be Xian. Why?

Am I just a great psychic!!! ;)

Come on, people in general, beleive what they are taught. Today with multimedia and the internet it's less so. 200 years ago it was an almost certainty.

The Distressed - Sounds like my family right now. In fact I believe that their belief in Christianity has made them even more stressful.

The Desirer of Wealth - Ummm..... or is it the claim of the rightwing Christians in power right now.

The Distressed - Sounds like my family right now. In fact I believe that their belief in Christianity has made them even more stressful.

The Desirer of Wealth - Ummm..... or is it the claim of the rightwing Christians in power right now.

no

(the desirer of wealth) are those who having never enjoyed power and fortune desire the Supreme Lord to give them the ability to acquire them.

link

There are other reasons than that which make people become religious. The most common is due to severe emotional trauma, (after car accidents etc).
and there are other reasons apart from that

(apparently a two line quote from scripture that precisely addresses the question why people take to religion violates forum rules)

:shrug:

well I was born to christian parents who only ever went to church for funerals and weddings and I was an atheist until my interest in philosophy drew me to the vedas, maybe a year or two after I had finished by university education

needless to say your use of the words "only" and "truth" in the thread title are misleading

Having debated on religious boards for 8-9 years, I have found that every christian I have come across who claimed they were originally an atheist is being economical with the truth.

Agnostic maybe, so just "changed brands".

I became a Christian when i was around 19 years old. I Read the Bible and Believed. :)

You make statments as though they are facts, But you do not know the truth.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

There is nothing in the bible to convince any atheist it's true.

There are other reasons than that which make people become religious. The most common is due to severe emotional trauma, (after car accidents etc).

Old joke. An American teacher was convicted of praying in school and was taken to court. When asked why, he said that four of his pupils had him cornered.

Usually, the one born into a relion are pretty cool with it. The converted and religious 'explorers' go overboard and may (may) start off with emotional problems.

I had religion till I was in my teens then I saw what was wrong with it and dumped it. Four decades of checking on it has continued to show me it's faults at all levels. Try:

http://www.ex-christian.net/

Not ALL religions are about power, i dont think the RCC is about power at all.

Is this a wind up? You cannot seriously be saying this.

The only preaching and converting i see being done by Atheist's.:shrug:

And Spidergoat, good luck telling people not to have SEX. Afterall, thats how babies are made.

Like where, apart from maybe religious forums where they are telling christians some hard truths.

Babies come from people who have sex without precautions. As the old joke goes: What do you call people who use the rythym method? Parents.

Having debated on religious boards for 8-9 years, I have found that every christian I have come across who claimed they were originally an atheist is being economical with the truth.

Agnostic maybe, so just "changed brands".
and such an experience is exhaustive?

(maybe you should get around a bit more)

Back