The NEXUS magazine LIE !?!?

craterchains (Norval

What will you know tomorrow?
Registered Senior Member
The NEXUS magazine LIE.

Here is the first paragraph on their home page.
NEXUS is an international bi-monthly alternative news magazine, covering the fields of: Health Alternatives; Suppressed Science; Earth's Ancient Past; UFOs & the Unexplained; and Government Cover-Ups.

NEXUS Magazine is not affiliated with any political, religious or spiritual groups or organisations whatsoever, and has been published since 1986.

Yeah, right, :rolleyes: And their last few paragraphs from the home page.

One night, probably in 1880, John Swinton, then the preeminent New York journalist, was the guest of honour at a banquet given him by the leaders of his craft. Someone who knew neither the press nor Swinton offered a toast to the independent press. Swinton outraged his colleagues by replying:
"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.
"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.
You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?
We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Source: Labor's Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979.)

What is your reaction to this?

Norval

I've read this somewhere before. I'm pretty sure the timeframe is off. If I recall, it was definately in the 20th century. I want to say sometime during the 70's?

This is the kind of English that was spoken by gentlemen in the 1880s. It is not substantially different from early 21st century English except that we have a few new words. I and a lot of people here have read older documents that use English pretty much the same as we do now. 1880 is after the time that most of our rules of grammar, syntax, and spelling were fixed. A lot of our choice phrases are astonishingly old, too. Read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, both written by a riverboat pilot from Missouri.

Metakron, there is a huge clue that this quote stinks. You haven't seen it, but I shall point it out;

How come the exact wording was captured, but not the date? I would venture therefore that at best this is paraphrased (hence the modern language) and attributed to Swinton in that era.

PS, the linguistic style is nothing like the first person accent in Huckleberry Fin!

You’re missing the information and redirecting the discussion. STDD

FieryIce said:
You’re missing the information and redirecting the discussion. STDD

If it's made up BS it's not very informative though is it? You would rather believe in a lie, than attempt to discover the truth. Are you lazy, or stupid, or both?

I am somewhat surprised by what has all the appearance of a knee jerk reaction from the normally sober gentlemen of sciforums. The thought sequence appears to be

1. I believe in a free press.
2. People who say there is not a free press are mistaken.
3. Individuals within the press ought to have a good idea as to whether or not it is free.
4. They are all balanced, truthful individuals.
4. Therefore, if one of them declares the press is not free, in order to avoid questioning point 1, I must doubt such a person or speech actually exists.

My reaction was simpler. "So one journalist in the 1800s states he doesn't believe the press is free. One journalist. One. So what?"

Ophiolite, I may have waded in somewhat, but after a bit of googling, the location, date and content of this quote are fairly well discussed and suspected in various places on the www, so it's not just me that doubts the accuracy.

My point was rather that Norv loves to jump on things which support his point of view, and accepts them blindly and without question. I pointed out a couple of things that don't sit right, and on further investigation, this quote isn't 100% reliable.

But like you say, so what if one guy doubts the freedom of the press. I should hope that no-one reads Norv's craterchains crap and takes it at face value!

Yes, I agree with you that the immediate source for this quote is as suspect as they get. I see Fiery Ice is back at the same time. Do you suppose this is this the Second Coming we hear so much about?
Look! In the sky! Is it a bird, is it a plane? No, it's a crock of fecal matter.

Ophiolite said:
My reaction was simpler. "So one journalist in the 1800s states he doesn't believe the press is free. One journalist. One. So what?"

naturally
simpletons tend to react in predictable directions, most of which involve the least amount of analysis. in fact, upon closer examination, one would observe a paucity of actual thought. perhaps even none

"knee jerk" comes to mind (thanks, oafy)
so does "instinctual"
you know
stuff that is usually the province of lesser beings
animals and whatnot

i mean....

for the love of god
and other shit

...are we not aware of any other instances where media biases and independence have been questioned?

is fucking swinton the only one? could 30,900,000 hits on google for media bias be all about the tard?

You get these people who seem to be here only to act funny when certain facts are brought to light, to trash that particular discussion.

"There is no such thing as a free press, they all have their price."

Ophiolite said:
knee jerk reaction from the normally sober gentlemen of sciforums.

why do you choose to ignore the qualifier....

phlogistician said:
If it's made up BS it's not very informative though is it?

and keep on prattling? what part of "If it..." do you not understand?

this eagerness to score brownie points is positively childish
this mad rush to judgment, this desire to elevate oneself over others is indicative of a deep seated pathology

sad
but then again
maybe not

/smirk

If our peers have priced the press,
Valuing it for more, not less.
If our ears have heard the mess,
Reproduced within Nexus.
If our fears of grave excess,
Are wanting, wanton? Swinton?

Then appears, it is my guess,
Flimsy groundwork, not the best;
Vast Gut struggling to confess,
That his arguments are mindless.
His intervention, like a pest,
Is waffle; awful; and incapable of fitting into any comprehensive scheme of rhyme, or scansion.

Stryder said:
"There is no such thing as a free press, they all have their price."

Yeah, and I reckon the sort of press Norv reads is probably 'The National Enquirer' or 'Weekly World News', although I've no idea how much you pay for these comics, ..... :)

, , , but you knew their names and obvious content phloger.

I, on the other hand (with only 5 digets) deem google to be even worse than those comics as you called them. The FACT is our media of this world is fucked.
end of story.

Norval

Human with 5 digits .....hummmm
Interesting how the computer keyboard is set up perfectly for 6 digits, imagine that!
Excellent example of WTF.

Back