The Meaning of Life (According to Soloman)

Saquist

Banned
Banned
David's son Solomon was renowned of his wisedom.
He said... "I, even I, turned toward the haard work that I had worked hard to accomplish, and, look! everything was vanity."

He wrote "the conclusion of the matter, evertything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the entire obligation of man."

Its quite remarkable to note that the 10 commandments in the bible are primarily geared to give respect to God. However it highlight the equal importance of respecting the people around us.

It would seem Solomon is defining life by our relationships with the people around us. Thus is the meaning of life Bonding with our fellow man?

Your thoughts?

Cooperation and empathy are intrinsic to social balance, justice and progress.

Instrinic to the idea of social balance which humans can appreciate but why is there such and imbalance of those willing to pursue that posistive bond?

Which are more numerous...good or the bad?

Instrinic to the idea of social balance which humans can appreciate but why is there such and imbalance of those willing to pursue that posistive bond?

Which are more numerous...good or the bad?

Fear - people make decisions based on what they have lost or what they think they will lose.

Fear is more prominent over even hate. Even the hatefuly fear too. Does fear for a rapist or child molster explain his action like it may explain theft to be financially secure or murder to feel physically secure?

I don't believe so. It seems some things are simply out of selfishness. As the bible says it seems that "mans every inclination is bad.."

I think I have to concur with that. Many crimes simplly seem...pointless.

David's son Solomon was renowned of his wisedom.
M*W: That may be so, but for the gazillionth time, David was NOT Solomon's father! David was Pharaoh Tuthmosis III who reigned from 1490-1436 BCE. Solomon was Pharaoh Amenhotep III who reigned from 1405-1367 BCE. David was Solomon's Great Grandfather. I don't give a rat's ass what your blibel (new word) says. Scholars of the 18th Dynasty concur on this fact. Solomon was Moses's (Amenhotep IV aka Akenhaten) Father. Moses was Pharaoh from 1367-1350 BCE. You do the math.

Its quite remarkable to note that the 10 commandments in the bible are primarily geared to give respect to God. However it highlight the equal importance of respecting the people around us.

It would seem Solomon is defining life by our relationships with the people around us. Thus is the meaning of life Bonding with our fellow man?

Your thoughts?
M*W: I won't argue subjective interpretation, but will agree that our relationship to each other is a recurring theme in the blibel admonishing man's inhumanity to his fellow man. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah repeats this theme. The Jewish interpretation of this theme is the correct one, not the christian interpretation which preaches against homosexuality.

REFERENCES:

Moses and Aknenaten: The Secret History of Egypt at the Time of the Exodus, by Ahmed Osman.

Jesus in the House of the Pharaohs: The Essene Revelations on the Historical Jesus, by Ahmed Osman.

Christianity: An Ancient Egyptian Religion, by Ahmed Osman.

It really doesn´t matter if Salomon was what the Bible says, or if he was a Pharaoh of Egypt, does that fact alone changes something in your life? If positive, you need to reconsider your beliefs.
Leading that useless argument aside, the meaning of life according to Solomon was a perspective of a wise person, thousands of years later, translated like a gazillion time. Why not take a look at more modern wise dudes?

I didn't notice anything about "bonding with our fellow man". Did I miss that part?

M*W: I won't argue subjective interpretation, but will agree that our relationship to each other is a recurring theme in the blibel admonishing man's inhumanity to his fellow man. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah repeats this theme. The Jewish interpretation of this theme is the correct one, not the christian interpretation which preaches against homosexuality.

That's very true. sodom and Gomorrah was about protecting the angels in his household from the hoard outside whose practice was to sexually abuse strangers to the city.

some believe this brings up an issue of Lots morrality with offering up his daughters before the hoard. But Lot seemed genuinely concerned about the "men" whom he'd never meant before.

So if Solomon is address that cultivating our bonds as humans is the purpose of life...then quite litterally he's saying that "man was never meant to be alone"....

And I find an enormous amount of truth in such a conclusion.

We are social apes, so our myths serve to reinforce social norms. Fear of a cosmic enforcer is the only thing ancient people could use as motivation to maintain these norms, that's why encouraging respect for this supernatural policeman was paramount.

Perhaps that's true for you. However Solomon and israel gave no clue that his appreciation for God was merely prefunctatory.

Infact unlike every other religion with the exception of those based on men, the requirements of the bible were difficult to maintain. The bible record shows us Isreal actually impact by God and not merely a distant observance. At the same time the events are woven into the very lineage of the bible.

Thus these were not merely myths to follow. They show that life and death were factor of obedience, a unique relationship. Lineage, Law, and Obedience.

That's a phillosophical approach...Therefore nothing we do is good. Intresting.

Well that's not the way I'd really look at it. Mankind still do 'good' things, (their own versions of it), it's simply that everything they do works on a selfish basis.

Perhaps that's true for you. However Solomon and israel gave no clue that his appreciation for God was merely prefunctatory.

Infact unlike every other religion with the exception of those based on men, the requirements of the bible were difficult to maintain. The bible record shows us Isreal actually impact by God and not merely a distant observance. At the same time the events are woven into the very lineage of the bible.

Thus these were not merely myths to follow. They show that life and death were factor of obedience, a unique relationship. Lineage, Law, and Obedience.

These storys were not intended as true representations of how the characters thought. They serve to symbolize doubts that someone might feel, and give examples of how those doubts should be overcome. The more difficulties the characters undergo and still maintain their faith, the more it encourages unwavering faith in the average person. The lesson was obedience to the mythological God, and therefore His intermediaries, the priests, and therefore to the laws of the society.

It's no different than using the characters of Smokey the Bear or McGruff the Crime Dog to encourage lawful behavior (the only difference is God will fuck you up).

It really doesn´t matter if Salomon was what the Bible says, or if he was a Pharaoh of Egypt, does that fact alone changes something in your life? If positive, you need to reconsider your beliefs.
Leading that useless argument aside, the meaning of life according to Solomon was a perspective of a wise person, thousands of years later, translated like a gazillion time. Why not take a look at more modern wise dudes?
M*W: Well, actually, I do. I follow the only one I should follow, and that is Medicine*Woman.

M*W: I meant to answer this on my other post. My beliefs are to find the truth. I can't do anything about ancient history. All I can to is study it, but when I find out that what I learned was not true, I pursue the truth to, hopefully, find it. I can't even say if Abraham, David, Solomon and Moses really existed or not, but some biblical scholars and archeologists presume they did, so for now, I'll take their word for it. Their existence may or may not have changed my life. I learned they existed and were very wise men, so I believed what I was told at the time. However, they or their myth changed my life in that I wanted to learn the truth. To learn the truth you need to know the lies. If you don't know the lies, you'll never know the truth and vice versa.

Back