the hypocracy of our drug laws

Legalize weed--yes .. same rules as booze

the hard stuff, I don't think so

Dirk Chase Elredge, in his book "Ending the War on Drugs", argued that alcohol is equivalent to drugs such as cocaine and heroine. I wish I had it with me right now, I'd like to see the evidence he presented to back up the claim.

The_Cheshire_Cat_by_chri77.jpg

Lol :)

Dirk Chase Elredge, in his book "Ending the War on Drugs", argued that alcohol is equivalent to drugs such as cocaine and heroin. I wish I had it with me right now, I'd like to see the evidence he presented to back up the claim.
You can read everything you ever wanted to know about those three drugs, plus many pages more, in the book I've recommended several times, The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs. Elredge was obviously being a bit hyperbolic, since cocaine and heroin have major pharmacological differences and alcohol is distinctly different from both of them. Heroin is an opiate and opium has been used as a depressant for centuries, whereas coca leaf has been used as a stimulant for centuries. The ancient Peruvians noticed their llamas chewing the leaves and suddenly having renewed energy.

Nonetheless, alcohol has this in common with them:
  • Impairs judgment
  • Modifies mood
  • Affects motor skills
  • Is addictive
  • Generates withdrawal symptoms after a single dose
  • Has a psychoactive effect, over and above addiction, which can seduce some people into heavy long-term use
  • Affects character, motivation, etc. after heavy long-term use
  • Can cause serious health problems and even death after heavy long-term use
  • Has been both legal and illegal, and causes more personal, health and social problems when illegal
Not every effect comes in equal proportion from all three. For example, it's not easy to die from heroin use unless one overdoses by accident or deliberate tampering with the concentration.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, alcohol has this in common with them:
  • Impairs judgment
  • Modifies mood
  • Affects motor skills
  • Is addictive
  • Generates withdrawal symptoms after a single dose
  • Has a psychoactive effect, over and above addiction, which can seduce some people into heavy long-term use
  • Affects character, motivation, etc. after heavy long-term use
  • Can cause serious health problems and even death after heavy long-term use
  • Has been both legal and illegal, and causes more personal, health and social problems when illegal
Not every effect comes in equal proportion from all three. For example, it's not easy to die from heroin use unless one overdoses by accident or deliberate tampering with the concentration.

i have never heard of anyone getting withdrawal symptoms from one drink or even one night of drinking.

AFA heroin many deaths are the result of people vomiting and being too wasted to do anything but lay there and die. either way the death is a result of taking the drug. In that case the purer the drug the more likely this will happen and is actually quite common. The there is also the fact that quinine is used to cut it and is deadly. That is my understanding of it but of course a plain overdose is certainly possible for a novice user.

Cocaine overdoses are overdoses based on too much in a persons system.

scott3x said:
Yes and no. I erred somewhat in how I worded the above statement. What I -meant- to say is that law abiding citizens are much more leery of taking illegal drugs then legal ones, for obvious reasons. You are completely right in saying that some people who are generally law abiding do indeed touch them; but as a general rule, the generally law abiding side of the equation are the end users, not the distribution network. The reason why, I think, is obvious; the more you get into distribution, the deeper in trouble you can be with the law. Depending on just how law abiding the citizen is, this can be of lesser or greater concern. Personally, drugs of any kind, be they legal or illegal, have never really interested me. While I have tried marijuana once or twice, that's about as far as I've gone. I can easily imagine that if it -weren't- illegal I would have tried it more, but things are the way they are and I simply don't think it's worth getting arrested for.

The problem with that theory is how accessible a drug like pot is. I could go get some from my brother's buddy right now. He's not a serious drug dealer, he just knows where to get pot. Middlemen exist in that business.

I don't think it really has much to do with legality at all. It has to do with how you feel about pot. Or drugs in general. I know I never tried coke or heroin, but it had nothing to do with their legality--it had to do with whether or not I wanted to get into hard drugs that I would end up addicted to.

I'm not so up on pot, but illegal drugs in general have been a mainstay for funding terrorist networks. Many people know that the CIA has been in some drugs for guns schemes and from what I've heard, it and other state sponsored organizations are still raking in the dough on the sly. However, as I mentioned, if certain mainstream illegal drugs were made legal, generally law abiding citizens could compete with shady types. And personally, I greatly prefer providing funding to generally law abiding citizens ;-).

Considering that the majority of our illegal drugs come from either South America or Canada, it's hard to see how terrorism is getting funded. Maybe Afghan heroin is making inroads since the war, but there's nothing to demonstrate that any terrorists are involved. Drug cartels, yes, but not terrorists.

I know that oil definitely funds terrorism as well, and it can entice nations with terrorist streaks to invade other nations; when the U.S. invaded Iraq, its first priority was (naturally) to secure the oil fields; museums and such were left to the looters.

Oil funds nations. The problem is that nations like Saudi Arabia support their local terrorist organizations. We import about 33% of our oil from the Middle East. Drugs, on the other hand, supports some Colombian and Mexican cartels...but that's about it.

Perhaps he perceived it that way; as a general rule, older generations see things somewhat differently then younger generations . In this case, I think he was dead wrong. In other cases, he might have had some points. I don't know, I wasn't really paying much attention to politics in Reagan's time. What I -do- know is that Dirk Case Elredge was once an adviser to Ronald Reagan, when he was making a bid or had succeeded in becoming the Governor of California. And as you may have seen, after researching the matter, I think the title of Elredge's book, "Ending the War on Drugs" makes it clear what side of the debate he's on.

As the President of the United States, he should have had better information. The thing is, he did. Information has been available on the effects of marijuana since the 20s. And in reality, anyone who has smoked pot knows what the effects are, so it's always been available. He decided that it was better to try and fight pot and other drugs. Which, by the way, is impossible.

Well, I've never heard an estimate of how many dangerous criminals were in the drug trade, but millions? Perhaps. I think it'd be good to back it up with some kind of data though.

1 in 100 Americans are in jail. Maybe I'm off in how many dangerous criminals are drug dealers, but if I am, I don't know what number to put on it. Hundreds of thousands, at least.

It just seems so high. Perhaps it's realistic if applied on a global scale though.

I really don't think it needs to be. We have 300 million people in this country. 2 or 3 (or ten) million dangerous criminals in the drug trade doesn't sound so high to me.

My morals/ethics would never have instituted such laws. The issue here is -who's- morals and ethics we're using. Take a look at the general age of politicians. Relatively old. In general, I believe it's older crowds who vote (the below 18 crowd is automatically excluded ofcourse but I think it goes a bit beyond the exclusion part). I think that to some extent Obama was definitely an exception. He's also relative young as politicians go, especially presidents. So we get the morals and ethics of the older people. Ofcourse, the older generations pass away, to be replaced by the (currently) younger generations. I personally have definitely seen signs that the old ways of doing things in regards to drugs is changing- take a look at Bolivia, for instance, which has now decided to make it legal to farm the coca plant. Evo Morales wishes aside, I have a strong feeling that the farmers are not turning all of that coca plant into coca tea ;-).

It's not about using morality as a guide. It's about doing what's best for the country.

And we already know that our politicians don't bother looking at other nations when it comes to legislation. If we did, we'd be in better shape than we're in now. But we have this ridiculous blind patriotism that makes our leaders believe that we know best. Always.

Our president.. as in Obama?

As in Bush. He's still President until Obama is sworn in.

So you're saying that.. gay marriage should be allowed? That's my stance anyway. Churches are ofcourse free to marry whoever they want, but civilly, I think any 2 people who understand the consequences of their actions should be able to marry each other. Or more then 2 people ;-).

Yes, gay marriage should be allowed. Allowing religion to dictate civil laws leads to us becoming the new Iran. Even if I was against gay marriage (not that I'd have any reason to be), I can't support anything that leads to religious law.

read... that is what the link to google was for. i heard about it first hand from a good friend who lived in columbia so i know about it already.

read... that is what the link to google was for. i heard about it first hand from a good friend who lived in columbia so i know about it already.

John, sometimes you shoot yourself in the foot. JDawg is right in a sense- all you presented was the google home page, which makes no mention of FARC. It doesn't mean that FARC doesn't exist, only that you put next to no effort into making the case that it does, and its long history of funding via the drug trade. You seem to be of the notion that others will do your homework for you.

Would it have taken so much time to simply have googled it yourself and come with a link? I did it. Here's the first link that came up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Armed_Forces_of_Colombia

FARC is columbian and in some ways I think it could be considered a cartel, so it can be argued that it was already covered. There are, however, others in the drug business. Afghanistan, for instance.

Last edited:
i have never heard of anyone getting withdrawal symptoms from one drink or even one night of drinking.
What do you think a hangover is, dude??? It's alcohol withdrawal. That's why people cure a hangover by having a drink. I think you need to learn a lot more about this stuff.

i was implying that he could just google it.

You were just being lazy, rather than actually contributing.

And as Scott pointed out, FARC is a cartel, as I said. Not a terrorist organization. And while Afghanistan is in the heroin business, I don't know who's behind it. I don't think the Taliban was selling, but even if they were, they are not a terrorist organization.

Are you high right now?

Again, are you going to add anything of substance? I said that cartels were involved in the drug trade, but terrorist organizations largely weren't. We get most of our hard drugs from South America. That's what I said.

By the way, I reported your post. If for no other reason than your refusal to follow the guidelines for proper posting. You made a claim, then failed to provide an argument to support that claim. And then, of course, you degraded to minor, less-than-clever insults.

Back