The Garden of Eden

Cyperium

I'm always me
Valued Senior Member
There has been alot of discussion regarding the Garden of Eden, so I thought I bring forth the main questions so we can see what we can come up with.

Question 1:
Why did God create the Tree of Knowledge, if He knew that Adam and Eve would eat from it? Why was it done in the first place?

Question 2:
Who are the supposed "other gods" God is talking about when He say "so they don't become like us"?

Question 3:
Did God lie when He said that they were surely going to die if they ate from the Tree of Knowledge?

My idea of question 1:
If He didn't make it, then Adam and Eve would still have a preposition to disobey God, and be fooled by evil, but without knowing it. The tree of Knowledge was (from my understanding) a way to shed light to what they had done and to show them that it was wrong to disobey God.

My idea of question 2:
At least in Bible 2000, the swedish translation, it say that there existed "godlike creatures", in other words; angels.

So, from my understanding, when God say "so they don't become like us" He meant the angels.

My idea of question 3:
God didn't lie, death was introduced as a consequence. They should have trusted God.

QUOTE My idea of question 1:
If He didn't make it, then Adam and Eve would still have a preposition to disobey God, and be fooled by evil, but without knowing it. The tree of Knowledge was (from my understanding) a way to shed light to what they had done and to show them that it was wrong to disobey God.

firstly the did not know they, where disobeying god, as they did not now right from wrong.
and how could it shed light to what they had done, if the tree was there before they had done it.

QUOTE My idea of question 3:
God didn't lie, death was introduced as a consequence. They should have trusted God.

as they did not understand the difference, between good and evil, it was an extremely unfair consequence.
and they did trust god, as they knew no better.

what planet are you on, you make no sense.

If God is really smart in an omnipotent way, he wouldn't make us all inbreds of adam and eve.

Also where do all the genetic variations come from?

Joeman said:
If God is really smart in an omnipotent way, he wouldn't make us all inbreds of adam and eve.

Also where do all the genetic variations come from?
M*W: I've always questioned that, too. Another thing to consider is the inbreeding of Lot's daughters and the people who descended from those liaisons. There is such thing as a mutations that occur about every thirty years. There are new syndromes that pop up that weren't discovered previously. I think evolution has introduced these mutations as a way of ensuring survival of the fittest.

the preacher said:
QUOTE My idea of question 1:

firstly the did not know they, where disobeying god, as they did not now right from wrong.
and how could it shed light to what they had done, if the tree was there before they had done it.

QUOTE My idea of question 3:

as they did not understand the difference, between good and evil, it was an extremely unfair consequence.
and they did trust god, as they knew no better.

what planet are you on, you make no sense.
They knew that they were disobeying God. They knew that they were breaking the word of God. Though they had no knowledge of what was good and what was evil. When they had eaten the apple, they felt ashamed.

From what I can understand God wanted them to have a chance of obeying Him before He set the judgement. Just like today.

Allthough He surely knew that it was going to happen anyway. But, in a way, it wouldn't happen if He didn't set the stage. But everything is arranged the best way possible, God does not fail.

It wasn't a unfair consequence, you don't know what is unfair and what is fair at this level of reasoning, and either do I. Point one finger at someone and you point three fingers at yourself.

Cyperium said:
Question 1:
Why did God create the Tree of Knowledge, if He knew that Adam and Eve would eat from it? Why was it done in the first place?
God deceived Adam and Eve into eating the fruit so that he can teach a lesson of obedience. The funny thing is the serpent (or some people interpret it as Satan) turned out to be the hero. He was telling the truth the whole time. Adam and Eve evolved from having no moral sense into full humanity, thanks to the talking snake.

Question 2:
Who are the supposed "other gods" God is talking about when He say "so they don't become like us"?

1. This particular bible story is actually stolen from a nearby Middle East pagan religion. They worship multiple Gods. It has been confirmed by archeologists.

Question 3:
Did God lie when He said that they were surely going to die if they ate from the Tree of Knowledge?
Yes. God is a deceitful bastard.

Gen 2:17 "But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the daythou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

Gen 5:5 "Adam lived 930 years."

It's hypocritical of him to tell us follow the 10 commandments when he lied himself.

There are a few loopholes in that explanation. First of all, the snake didn't lie. He was telling the truth because Adam and Eve didn't die the day as they suppose to, and they could have eaten from the tree of life afterwards to negate God's curse.

Second of all, Adam and Eve have no idea whether to obey or disobey God is good or bad, because they have no idea what's good and bad without knowledge of good and evil.

Third of all, if God was meant to teach a lesson, It's retarded to punish them severely afterwards, omniscient God knew all alone they were going to make mistakes. The punishment does not justify the crime.

My idea of question 2:
At least in Bible 2000, the swedish translation, it say that there existed "godlike creatures", in other words; angels.

So, from my understanding, when God say "so they don't become like us" He meant the angels.
The word "Elohim" is plural in Hebrew. Eloha is singular. Elohim was used in that story, and therefore they believed there were multiple Gods at that time.

My idea of question 3:

Again, without the knowledge of good and evil, they didn't know if trusting God was good or bad. Trusting God is actually bad because God is deceitful, cruel and unjust. The snake is helpful and is responsible for bring moral sense and knowledge into humanity.

I think others here have quite nicely covered the principle issues of the A&E paradox which pretty much destroys the rationale for the need for a Christian savior and hence the basis of Christianity; but there are a few minor issues outstanding.

1. Why did God create and make available the tree of knowledge of good and evil if he never wanted his creations to have such knowledge? He could have chosen some other entirely ordinary tree to test their obedience if testing was his real objective. If A&E had chosen to never eat from the tree then the purpose of the tree would never have been fulfilled (i.e. to provide someone that knowledge).

2. Why would God want to test Adam’s obedience? It says in Genesis 1:31, just after creating Adam, that everything he had made was very good. If Adam was indeed very good then why would God want to test what he already said was good. Did he not trust his own assertion that everything was good? Christianity claims that man’s nature is basically sinful, isn’t that a direct contradiction with God having created Adam as very good?

Kat

Question 1:

God created the tree of knowledge of good and evil as a test of Adam's obedience. The tree was just a symbol, it could have been anything really. God did not know that Adam would disobey him and eat from the tree. He expected Adam to obey him but he did not know for sure what Adam would do. I think God is something of an optimist. He prefers to expect the best of people rather than the worst. He gave Adam so much, including life itself, he hoped and expected that Adam would remain faithful. God allowed Adam to be tested. He chose not to see the result of the test beforehand. There are indications in the Bible that God chooses not to look at the specific choices that individuals will make, not because he can't, but because he wants us to feel the full power of free will. That way there can be no suggestion that our futures are predestined. God wants us to know and feel that we have the power to decide our own futures and have real free will, not some sham version. We truly write our own future with the decisions we make. Nobody, including God, knows what we will do.
Free will meant that Adam could defy God, just as we can. But can you blame God for the choices we make? God wanted to create intelligent beings who would love him willingly, not robots that love because that is what their program dictates. God did not intend his children to defy him, and he hoped that they wouldn't, but he gave them the power to do so. Adam had the ability to obey God's command but he chose not to.

Question 2:

God is talking about himself and his son who later came to earth as Jesus. They had a long and close relationship for millions of years before earth was created and God must have known he could rely on Jesus being loyal to his moral standards. From the knowledge he gained Jesus must have had an intimate understanding of God's nature. Therefore God may have allowed Jesus some latitude to determine matters for himself, confident that it would be consistent with God's standards. So God is able to refer to both himself and his son as "knowing good and evil".

Question 3:

No God didn't lie. Adam died didn't he? Or is he living anonymously somewhere but doesn't want anyone to know who he is?

Laser eyes,

God created the tree of knowledge of good and evil as a test of Adam's obedience.
Why, when he had said that everything he had created was very good including Adam. Why would he suspect that something he had made was bad? Why would Adam be bad when God had said that everything he had made was very good?

God did not know that Adam would disobey him and eat from the tree.
So God is not omniscient then? Isn’t that a basic requirement for an omnipotent god?

He expected Adam to obey him but he did not know for sure what Adam would do.
Definitely not omniscient or omnipotent then.

I think God is something of an optimist. He prefers to expect the best of people rather than the worst.
Doesn’t sound like he is in control of anything then.

God allowed Adam to be tested.
You mean God tested Adam deliberately because he wasn’t sure that his design of Adam that he had declared as VERY GOOD was in fact defective. Looks like God lied again.

He chose not to see the result of the test beforehand. There are indications in the Bible that God chooses not to look at the specific choices that individuals will make, not because he can't, but because he wants us to feel the full power of free will.
And somehow we would know when God is looking or not, right? But you say “will make” but we have already established that God is not omniscient so how would he know what will happen?

That way there can be no suggestion that our futures are predestined.
Yes of course and the mere existence of omniscience would pretty much destroy freewill.

Nobody, including God, knows what we will do.
OK got it – no doubt – God is not omniscient.

But can you blame God for the choices we make?
Yup most definitely since Adam was the result of his design, and if he didn’t give Adam the knowledge of good and evil so he could make informed intelligent value choices then why would he expect Adam to obey or disobey him?

God wanted to create intelligent beings who would love him willingly, not robots that love because that is what their program dictates.
So why didn’t he do so? If he had provided the knowledge of good and evil at the beginning then Adam would have had the necessary information to make a more appropriate choice and understand that disobedience is bad and not in his best interests.

Adam had the ability to obey God's command but he chose not to.
Because he had no way to know that such a thing was bad. It was not an informed choice because he did not know the difference between good and bad.

God is talking about himself and his son who later came to earth as Jesus.
And where in the OT is this confirmed? So there are two gods then and not the one that we have been misled to believe?

From the knowledge he gained Jesus must have had an intimate understanding of God's nature. Therefore God may have allowed Jesus some latitude to determine matters for himself, confident that it would be consistent with God's standards. So God is able to refer to both himself and his son as "knowing good and evil".
This can only make sense if they are two separate beings and that defies the Abrahamic assertions that there is only one god.

No God didn't lie. Adam died didn't he?
But not on the day he ate the fruit as God said he would. God lied.

Kat

Cyperium
quote:point one finger at someone and you point three fingers at yourself.

not me son.
I only have an index finger and thumb, on my right hand.

I'm was just stating fact, you made no sense, and still make no sense.
you are obviously reading a different bible, from the rest of the world.

Gen 2:17 "But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

I agree that it seem strange. One could argue that the day reflects the day of eating not the day of dying...but that seems to be stretching it too much...and is not common use anyway.

It could have been an act of mercy. God is a merciful God. He set the judgement further in time but death was still introduced by their act.

Further they were driven out of the Garden of Eden, away from the tree of life.

But this is only speculations. The answer may come in time.

the preacher said:
Cyperium
quote:point one finger at someone and you point three fingers at yourself.

not me son.
I only have an index finger and thumb, on my right hand.

I'm was just stating fact, you made no sense, and still make no sense.
you are obviously reading a different bible, from the rest of the world.
I'm not reading a different bible (obviously). In what way am I not making sense?

Last edited:
Why, when he had said that everything he had created was very good including Adam. Why would he suspect that something he had made was bad? Why would Adam be bad when God had said that everything he had made was very good?

You mean God tested Adam deliberately because he wasn’t sure that his design of Adam that he had declared as VERY GOOD was in fact defective. Looks like God lied again.
God did not suspect that Adam was bad. God said everything he made was good but don't read more into that than it says. Adam was perfect but he was just a man and he was as yet unproven. He was like a cheque you receive before cashing it, you don't know whether it will be honoured. The important point to understand is that Adam had free will. If Adam had free will then he had the potential to do wrong, just like we have the power to choose to break the law or obey it. The existence of evil is not a requirement for free will. Only the potential for us to do evil is necessary for free will. It is not necessary for evil to actually exist. I am sure God hoped evil would never exist. How can you have free will if wrong conduct is impossible? God did not intend his children to defy him, and he hoped that they wouldn't, but he gave them the power to do so.

God created a man with free will who had the ability to make choices for himself. Adam need never have disobeyed God. He could have been alive today and be enjoying the everlasting life that God wanted him to have. Free will was part of Adam's design. God created a man who had the ability to obey him perfectly and never deviate from God's moral standards. But Adam was not a computer program that produces the same result every time it is run. He could obey God or not, it was entirely up to him. And God was never going to force Adam to obey him. That had to be Adam's choice. And Adam chose to disobey God.

So God is not omniscient then? Isn’t that a basic requirement for an omnipotent god?

Definitely not omniscient or omnipotent then

And somehow we would know when God is looking or not, right? But you say “will make” but we have already established that God is not omniscient so how would he know what will happen?
Consider this hypothetical. There are two Gods in a hypothetical universe. God A knows the future, he knows everything that will happen and he has this knowledge whether he wants to know it or not, he can't control this power of foreknowledge, he is stuck with it. God B also knows the future, he knows everything that will happen but God B can control this power of foreknowledge, he can choose to know the future in any way he likes, he can see any individual's future or not at his discretion, he can see the future of mankind as a whole or not up to any particular time completely at his discretion. Which of these two Gods is more powerful?

Do you get my point? Why should God not have the power to choose what he sees? Why should omniscience be an uncontrollable power? In fact true omniscience means what I have said not what you think it means. True omniscience means God has complete power over his ability to know the future. He can exercise his power to any degree he chooses or not at all if he so chooses.

As for the question when God is looking the answer is never on an individual level unless God intends making a final judgment about a person. There are some people in the Old Testament that God destroyed who he clearly made a final judgment about but generally speaking God does not look at the future of anyone on an individual basis.
Doesn’t sound like he is in control of anything then.
You got this one a hundred per cent right. God is not in control of us just as he did not control Adam. It is not God's nature to control others like a puppeteer. God was never going to force Adam to obey him and he does not force us to obey him either. You can sin to your heart's content if you like. God is not going to stop you until the appointed day for his intervention in human affairs. God could stop you from sinning if he wanted to. He could bounce you up and down on your head and there's nothing you could do about it. But he's not going to do that. God wants your heart voluntarily or not at all.
Yes of course and the mere existence of omniscience would pretty much destroy freewill.
If we thought that God knew our futures already there is a risk that we would feel our future was predestined. If God has foreseen our future then we would not feel in control of our destiny. If our future was already written then our life would seem pointless. God wants us to know and feel that we have the power to decide our own futures and have real free will, not some sham version. By choosing not to know what specific choices we will make there can never be any suggestion that our futures are predestined. If God knew all our futures already it would not destroy our free will but it might affect our ability to feel in control of our future.
Yup most definitely since Adam was the result of his design, and if he didn’t give Adam the knowledge of good and evil so he could make informed intelligent value choices then why would he expect Adam to obey or disobey him?
I've dealt with this point above. You are leaving free will out of the equation. Adam was the result of God's design but that didn't mean Adam could do no wrong. Part of the design was that Adam had the power to do wrong. If God wanted Adam to have free will he necessarily had to give Adam the power to do the wrong thing as well as the right thing. Otherwise it wouldn't be free will.
If [God} had provided the knowledge of good and evil at the beginning then Adam would have had the necessary information to make a more appropriate choice and understand that disobedience is bad and not in his best interests.

Because he had no way to know that such a thing was bad. It was not an informed choice because he did not know the difference between good and bad
The important information was that Adam would die if he didn't obey God. This God explained to him. The power to determine what is good and what is evil is a power that God reserves to himself. Adam was not at liberty to live by his own moral standards. He had to obey God or he would die. If Adam knew he would die if he disobeyed God then he well knew that disobedience was not in his best interests.
And where in the OT is this confirmed? So there are two gods then and not the one that we have been misled to believe?

This can only make sense if they are two separate beings and that defies the Abrahamic assertions that there is only one god
There is only one God, not two or even three as mainstream Christian churches teach. There are many scriptures that deal with the relationship between Jesus and God. Jesus was God's first creation and only begotten son. In the gospels there are many occasions when we can see that Jesus loved, respected and obeyed God and referred to him as "Father". They are indeed two separate beings. But as I explained above Jesus had learned God's nature and proven loyal to God's standards over such a long period of time that God felt confident enough to say in Genesis 3:22 that Jesus had the knowledge of good and evil. It doesn't mean that Jesus was equal to his father. It simply means that God had faith in Jesus being faithful to the moral standards that God had set.
But not on the day he ate the fruit as God said he would. God lied.
Adam was as good as dead on the day he ate from the fruit. You are taking it too literally to say that Adam had to die the very day he ate the fruit or God lied. On the day he ate the fruit Adam's fate was sealed. He would inevitably die and nothing could stop that from occurring. As far as God was concerned Adam was indeed dead the day he ate from the fruit. Even we humans use language in this way. Suppose a couple are married for 50 years and one day the husband dies aged 80 years old. A month later the wife dies from a broken heart. Someone might say in these circumstances: "She died the day her husband died." People do use language this way.

Cyperium: I quote,
I'm not reading a different bible (obviously). In what way am I not making sense?

Genesis, chapter 2

16: And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may freely eat of every tree of the garden;
17: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die." (." (Adam had no understanding of good or evil, or why it was wrong, and what dying was as no one had died before. therefore would not know fear, of god or anything else.)

Genesis, chapter 3

1: Now the serpent was more subtle (why had this creature eaten of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, was it wiser the man . “NO”) than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God say, `You shall not eat of any tree of the garden'?"
2: And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden;
3: but God said, `You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"(as she had never seen death, either she also would not understand the problem.)
4: But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die.

for these two statements (no sense)

I quote,
from my understanding a way to shed light to what they had done and to show them that it was wrong to disobey God.
(but they did not know they were disobeying, as they had no knowledge of good or evil or why they should obey)(try too accept the pardox, and that you and it are making no sense.)
I quote,
They knew that they were breaking the word of God( again how). Though they had no knowledge of what was good and what was evil. When they had eaten the apple, they felt ashamed.( but not for what they had done, but for being naked, as they were now enlightened.)

Last edited:
@ the preacher

Are you implying that he had no conscience?

Tit 1:15

"To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled."

Laser Eyes,

Adam was perfect but he was just a man and he was as yet unproven.
Not quite – he had no knowledge or understanding of good and evil – that makes him very special and not like us at all.

If Adam had free will then he had the potential to do wrong, just like we have the power to choose to break the law or obey it.
Except that most of us have the knowledge to tell the difference between good and bad, Adam had no such knowledge. He would be unable to use his free will to meaningfully choose between good choices and bad choices.

Adam chose to disobey God.
And Adam would not have known whether that was a good decision or not.

True omniscience means God has complete power over his ability to know the future. He can exercise his power to any degree he chooses or not at all if he so chooses.
Omniscience is infinite awareness and absolute knowledge of everything, past, present and future. Either God is omniscient or it isn’t.

If we thought that God knew our futures already there is a risk that we would feel our future was predestined.
If omniscience exists then everything will be predetermined. If a future event is known with certainty then that event must occur and no one would have the power to change it. If God is omniscient then it will know every choice that I will ever make at the beginning of time long before I even exist – that means my entire life will be predetermined.

If God has foreseen our future then we would not feel in control of our destiny. If our future was already written then our life would seem pointless.
That is indeed what it means if God is omniscient.

Adam was the result of God's design but that didn't mean Adam could do no wrong.
If Adam was made perfect as has been claimed then he could not have done any wrong. Perhaps you should define what ‘perfect’ means.

Part of the design was that Adam had the power to do wrong.
OK. And if he was perfect then he would always make the perfect decision and do no wrong.

If God wanted Adam to have free will he necessarily had to give Adam the power to do the wrong thing as well as the right thing. Otherwise it wouldn't be free will.
OK.

That’s fine and the issue of Adam’s free will is not in dispute. The issue is whether Adam knew he was doing wrong or not. Since he did not possess the knowledge of good and evil then he could not have known that to disobey God was a bad thing. For him to be punished for a bad action that he couldn’t possibly understand is grossly unjust.

The important information was that Adam would die if he didn't obey God.
And Adam would not have understood whether death was good or bad especially since he had never seen any death yet. The threat is pointless if it is not understood.

This God explained to him.
This would mean that God would have to explain the difference between good and evil, in which case what was the purpose of the tree?

The power to determine what is good and what is evil is a power that God reserves to himself.
In which case what is the point of man having free will if it cannot be used to make value judgments of what is good or bad? Virtually every choice you make in your life involves selecting one path over another based on an ability to judge between good and bad. Without that ability Adam’s actions would have been entirely random.

Adam was not at liberty to live by his own moral standards.
He didn’t have any choice since morality means understanding the difference between good and bad, and he didn’t have that knowledge, and neither could he have understood God’s standards of morality for the same reason.

He had to obey God or he would die.
And if he didn’t understand that then do you consider the punishment just?

If Adam knew he would die if he disobeyed God then he well knew that disobedience was not in his best interests.
Again, only if he understood what is good and what is bad.

There is only one God,………..They are indeed two separate beings.
You need to choose I think.

Adam was as good as dead on the day he ate from the fruit. You are taking it too literally to say that Adam had to die the very day he ate the fruit or God lied.
Understood. So the bible is wrong then and didn’t mean what it said?

Kat

Last edited:
[Adam] had no knowledge or understanding of good and evil – that makes him very special and not like us at all.

Except that most of us have the knowledge to tell the difference between good and bad, Adam had no such knowledge. He would be unable to use his free will to meaningfully choose between good choices and bad choices.

And Adam would not have known whether that was a good decision or not.

The issue is whether Adam knew he was doing wrong or not. Since he did not possess the knowledge of good and evil then he could not have known that to disobey God was a bad thing. For him to be punished for a bad action that he couldn’t possibly understand is grossly unjust.

And Adam would not have understood whether death was good or bad especially since he had never seen any death yet. The threat is pointless if it is not understood.

And if he didn’t understand that then do you consider the punishment just?

I think I need to explain what is meant by "the knowledge of good and evil". God reserves to himself the right to set moral laws for all his intelligent beings. This power to determine what is right and good and acceptable conduct on the one hand and what is wrong and evil and unacceptable on the other hand is what is meant by "the knowledge of good and evil". God will decide what is good and what is evil and no-one else has the right or indeed the ability to do so. When the Bible says that Adam had "become like one of Us, to know good and evil" (Genesis 3:22) it means that Adam rejected God's authority and had decided to determine for himself what was right and wrong.

There can be no question that Adam knew he was obliged to obey God's command not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. There was a period of time before Eve was created when Adam and God lived together. We don't know how long it lasted, it may have been days, months or years. But during this time Adam and God communicated with each other and God taught Adam as a father teaches a son. It is reasonable to suppose that Adam would have learned who he was, how he was created, his proper relationship with God and so forth.

Adam must have fully understood the concept of death or the warning from God would have been meaningless and the punishment would have been unjust. Just because the Bible does not explain how Adam learned the meaning of death does not mean it didn't happen. The Bible does not purport to be a complete record of every thing that has happened in the history of mankind. On the other hand the Bible does tell us that God is a loving and just God who respects the intelligence and free will that he gave us. If Adam didn't understand the meaning of death then it wouldn't have been a fair test. But since we know that God is fair and reasonable it follows that God must have ensured that Adam fully understood the consequences of disobedience. We can conclude that Adam knew and understood what death meant from the fact that God would not have let Adam be unfairly tested.

Omniscience is infinite awareness and absolute knowledge of everything, past, present and future. Either God is omniscient or it isn’t.

If omniscience exists then everything will be predetermined. If a future event is known with certainty then that event must occur and no one would have the power to change it. If God is omniscient then it will know every choice that I will ever make at the beginning of time long before I even exist – that means my entire life will be predetermined.

That is indeed what it means if God is omniscient.

You seem to have difficulty with the idea that God can choose not to know something if he wishes. Why should he not have this ability? Why should omniscience be an uncontrollable quality? It is more omniscient to know any thing you want, any time you want than to know everything all the time whether you want to or not.

God could indeed know every choice you will ever make if he wanted to know that. But as I explained above God deliberately chooses not to see what choices we will make as individuals so that you will feel your life is not predetermined.

Omniscience does not mean everything is predetermined. You still have free will and no-one but you is in control of that. Suppose there is a flower growing in your garden. Tomorrow that flower will still be there but you can stop it. You can go out to your garden tonight and pull the flower out and destroy it. You can change the future by an exercise of free will.

If Adam was made perfect as has been claimed then he could not have done any wrong. Perhaps you should define what ‘perfect’ means.
And if he was perfect then he would always make the perfect decision and do no wrong.

Perfect means that Adam was physically, mentally and spiritually a perfect man. He had no physical imperfections, he would never get sick, never grow old. Adam had no impure moral inclinations. He was innocent, like a child. But Adam was not a God. He had the inherent human limitations. He had limited sensory perception, a limited capacity to learn, think and reason just like humans today. He learned from God, he experienced his environment. In our imperfect condition we are inclined to do the wrong thing. But for Adam it was a relatively simple thing to obey God's high moral standards. But Adam was not immortal in the sense that he could not die. Adam was flesh and blood and he needed to remain connected to God's energy to continue physical regeneration. If Adam lost his connection to God he would grow old and die like an electric fan that has its plug pulled out.

Being perfect does not mean that Adam would always make the perfect decision. Adam had free will and that means he had the ability to do the wrong thing. I know it can be difficult to understand - how can a perfect man do a bad thing? The best analogy I can think of is this. In today's world you can raise a son the best way imaginable - just the right amount of love, discipline, family, friends, environment and so on. Is that a guarantee that the son will turn out right and do the right thing for the rest of his life? No, of course not. You can give a son the best possible upbringing but that is no guarantee he will live a righteous life. When he grows up he makes his own choices and he alone is responsible for them. And so Adam and Adam alone was responsible for the choice he made.

This would mean that God would have to explain the difference between good and evil, in which case what was the purpose of the tree?

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was a symbol. It was just an ordinary tree but God used it to test Adam's obedience. It represented Adam's submission to God's authority.

In which case what is the point of man having free will if it cannot be used to make value judgments of what is good or bad? Virtually every choice you make in your life involves selecting one path over another based on an ability to judge between good and bad. Without that ability Adam’s actions would have been entirely random.

He didn’t have any choice since morality means understanding the difference between good and bad, and he didn’t have that knowledge, and neither could he have understood God’s standards of morality for the same reason.

Adam would have known it was morally wrong to disobey God from God's express command that Adam would die if he disobeyed God. His actions were not random. As I said above you have to accept that Adam fully understood what death would mean for him. Adam lacked appreciation for God's gift of life.

Indeed the point of having free will is so that moral choices can be made. But we are not at liberty to set the standard. God tells us his moral standards in the Bible, the same moral standards that Adam was obliged to obey. We are free to follow God's laws or reject them. But like Adam we know the consequences if we reject God's moral laws. The reason why God has allowed evil to exist all these generations is to prove the consequences of not following God's moral laws.

You need to choose I think.
There is one God. He is not a trinity. He is one single being. Jesus is God's first creation and only begotten son. Jesus is not God.

Understood. So the bible is wrong then and didn’t mean what it said?

If you adopt a strictly literal meaning you can misinterpret the message. There is nothing unusal about this. It is the nature of language that a strictly literal interpretation is sometimes not what is intended. Also we sometimes forget that we are reading a translation. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. As someone who has studied foreign languages I can tell you that when you translate from one language to another you always lose something in the translation. This makes it even more important to be careful not to take a too literal interpretation.

To the Preacher:

but they did not know they were disobeying, as they had no knowledge of good or evil or why they should obey[/COLOR](try too accept the pardox, and that you and it are making no sense.)
I quote,
They knew that they were breaking the word of God( again how). Though they had no knowledge of what was good and what was evil. When they had eaten the apple, they felt ashamed.( but not for what they had done, but for being naked, as they were now enlightened.)

Since you are reading between the lines, my explanation too must be between the lines. It's hard to understand the nature of not understanding good and evil, therefor we don't know in what way they knew God was right.

If I didn't have knowledge of good and evil, then still I would know things. I would know what I see around me. I could still trust God even though I don't understand why, that's what children has to do with their parents all the time.

Did you really understand all of societies rules before you followed them? Did you really understand all of your parents rules before you followed them?

Did that make it right to break the rules?

Through the rules that God had given them they could still avoid doing wrong, allthough they didn't understand why it was wrong. They could have used it as a safety-net, and I'm sure they did too, cause even though they didn't know good from evil, they still knew that they had to trust God, they could still have Faith in Him.

They could also still have fear of what would happen if they disobeyed.

But what would that fear be based on if they didn't know right from wrong?
Just a bit of imagination could cover that bit, also I'm sure that God said it in a way that they understood, at least at the time He said it, though we forget so easily.

Last edited:
Back