The Final Argument

Cris

In search of Immortality
Valued Senior Member
The Final Argument.

Throughout the many varied arguments claiming there is a god and why there isn’t the question of evidence is always a central concern. The end result is usually a discussion of the validity of faith vs reason and issues of how we know what we know, i.e. questions of epistemology. However, that implies an oversimplification of the issue, or rather from the argument of reason which goes; since there is no empirical observation or detection then a belief without such evidence cannot be claimed as a truth, and where faith is simply belief without evidence. Such a position denies that subjectivity might have value.

Ultimately the theist asserts that they know a god exists because it communicates with him/her directly once they have come to a sincere acceptance or need. The argument goes that the skeptic can never achieve this state because they are not using the subjective emotional sincerity needed. In other words the alleged god will only reveal itself via a sincere subjective process. Clearly that is beyond current empirical methodologies and a scientific approach.

For example Lightgigantic offers - With theism, however there is the claim of direct perception (which does involve the mind and the senses) and also a process to attain such a state (namely purify the consciousness). Christians and Muslims have similar variations.

My objection is that the claimed knowledge from such a subjective process cannot be distinguished from delusion which is a more credible alternative than the acceptance that a super being exists capable of creating a universe. I further object on the basis that the claimant has no process to verify that their alleged subjective knowledge is real, i.e. we only have their word for it. To my mind this becomes entirely a matter of credibility, but not proof either way.

My question for debate then becomes – is there any basis where we could establish that such a subjective process without any form of individual or independent verification could in fact offer a truth? While it seems on the surface that this could be easily and summarily dismissed by non-believers it is however the crux of the theist position and deserves some deeper attention if there can be any.

Life unites us and our consciousness of beings like us.

To simply answer your question: No there is not.

i would reply but cannot
i refuse to entertain the current delusion
you aint real, chris
neither is your post

all are a product of a delusionary thought process and i wish someone would goddamn pinch me awake

is there any basis where we could establish that such a subjective process without any form of individual or independent verification could in fact offer a truth?

It can definitely offer a personal truth. But then such a person should be true to the nature of such a truth - and keep it personal, so to speak.

greenberg,

It can definitely offer a personal truth.
A truth is independent of whether it is personal or impersonal. For example I would not be able to float in the air and defy gravity simply because I feel that is a personal truth. Wishing something true doesn't make it true.

So I'm not sure what you mean here.

My question for debate then becomes – is there any basis where we could establish that such a subjective process without any form of individual or independent verification could in fact offer a truth?
Nope there is no basis to establish such a process could offer a truth.

The process can not be distinguished from delusion and in all honestly we both know that's exactly what it is.

Michael

A truth is independent of whether it is personal or impersonal. For example I would not be able to float in the air and defy gravity simply because I feel that is a personal truth. Wishing something true doesn't make it true.

So I'm not sure what you mean here.

"Fresh apples are the best food", "I want to win the next 21k race because there is a nice reward", "I hate my brother and my sisters" are personal truths. There's no point in assuming they are true for all people, but they surely are true for some.

Greenberg,

Fresh apples are the best food", "I want to win the next 21k race because there is a nice reward", "I hate my brother and my sisters" are personal truths. There's no point in assuming they are true for all people, but they surely are true for some
No, that is not correct. A condition is true or false regardless of personal perspective or opinion. You’ve simply confused the context.

The first example is really - “Some people believe fresh apples are the best food”. This condition can be tested objectively and the outcome is either true or false for everyone.

Your assertion that you want to win a race is true for everyone. It doesn’t imply that everyone wants to win a race.

That you assert that you hate your brothers and sisters is again true for everyone since it is specific to you and doesn’t imply that everyone hates THEIR brothers and sisters.

Similarly a god cannot exist simply because someone thinks it is a personal truth.

No, that is not correct. A condition is true or false regardless of personal perspective or opinion. You’ve simply confused the context.

No, I have not. There's more to it.

The first example is really - “Some people believe fresh apples are the best food”.

No, it's not. I put it exactly in the form that some people state it, so as to make the point.

Many people state their personal truths as if they were objective truths - and I think this is the core of the problem that you are proposing in the OP.

Your assertion that you want to win a race is true for everyone. It doesn’t imply that everyone wants to win a race.

That you assert that you hate your brothers and sisters is again true for everyone since it is specific to you and doesn’t imply that everyone hates THEIR brothers and sisters.

Exactly, they are "personal truths", stated in the 1st person form.

Similarly a god cannot exist simply because someone thinks it is a personal truth.

That's supposing that God exists because someone wishes it ... I won't go for that, though.

Consider that it might be a Calvinist version of theism that is the right one.
Granted, it might be one of the more cruel ones. But it is the most logical one, and explains all the problems that theists and non-theists alike have regarding God.

So that version would be: God can be and is known only to the elect. The elect make claims about God that the non-elect have no way of knowing, understanding or proving. The elect might go to heaven, the non-elect will most likely all go to hell. Because God created the Universe, God rules, God judges, it's all up to God's will. If a person doesn't understand something, it's their fault.

I think something that might be causing you to wonder is that you might have the underlying assumption that God, if he is to be any kind of a proper God, should be democratic, loving, just, knowable to all - on terms that you would consider democratic, loving, just, knowable to all.
That isn't necessarily so, especially not with the above mentioned Calvinist version.

The Final Argument...My question for debate then becomes – is there any basis where we could establish that such a subjective process without any form of individual or independent verification could in fact offer a truth? While it seems on the surface that this could be easily and summarily dismissed by non-believers it is however the crux of the theist position and deserves some deeper attention if there can be any.

And my next question, is should religious bodies maintain tax-exempt status until your question is answered!

Greenberg,

I suspect we are somewhat in agreement although it may be just issues of syntax that are causing confusion. I think my objection is to the clause “personal truth”, but I don’t think the point is worth argument.

However, I like your next series of statements that may be worth exploring further.

So that version would be: God can be and is known only to the elect.
Ok I’ll buy that but I don’t think it changes the validity of my OP question and it does highlight my second objection. Given that such a god makes the rules and it has decided that some of us will never be able to know or understand then there is still the problem for those who have had the revelation. What process could they use to determine that such a revelation is indeed true and not a delusion? If they were indeed rational then they would need verification to be able to claim a truth.

I think something that might be causing you to wonder is that you might have the underlying assumption that God, if he is to be any kind of a proper God, should be democratic, loving, just, knowable to all - on terms that you would consider democratic, loving, just, knowable to all.
That isn't necessarily so, especially not with the above mentioned Calvinist version.
Hmm, no I don’t think so. My perspective is that existence is an axiom and that something exists or it doesn’t. Using reason we should be able to determine at least one of two things – the object exists, or we don’t know.

Since the theist claim to knowledge cannot be verified either to independent skeptics or to themselves then for all practical purposes all rational people must conclude that no one knows that a god exists.

phlo....

And my next question, is should religious bodies maintain tax-exempt status until your question is answered!
Perhaps that status could be eroded if a sufficient number of people meet the theist claim -

I know God exists because I have had a personal revelation/calling/second-birth/direct-perception, etc., etc, with -

How have you verified to yourself that what you claim is a truth and not delusion?

I don't believe they can answer that.

Cris

We must take into consideration just how powerful indoctrination can be. Children grow up with their parents, family and friends telling them their god, heaven, hell and all sorts of ghouls and goblins are real.

Ok I’ll buy that but I don’t think it changes the validity of my OP question and it does highlight my second objection. Given that such a god makes the rules and it has decided that some of us will never be able to know or understand then there is still the problem for those who have had the revelation. What process could they use to determine that such a revelation is indeed true and not a delusion? If they were indeed rational then they would need verification to be able to claim a truth.

I would think that's their business.

Hmm, no I don’t think so. My perspective is that existence is an axiom and that something exists or it doesn’t. Using reason we should be able to determine at least one of two things – the object exists, or we don’t know.

Since the theist claim to knowledge cannot be verified either to independent skeptics or to themselves then for all practical purposes all rational people must conclude that no one knows that a god exists.

You know what they say: When God wants to doom someone, He takes away their mind.
On this point, such theists have a bulletproof argument.

Something that suprises me about many non-theists who want to understand issues about God is that they seem to be rather unwilling to explore the more sinister aspects of it all.

Let's not forget that we're talking about a God who has, so the theist account, created the Universe, sent floods, parted seas, rained sulphur, killed thousands and thousands, ... and who will eventually make an end to it all.
Really, human rationality doesn't matter a straw in such a scheme of things.

I think that arguments against theism that are based on pointing out lack of evidentiary support and rationality issues are a cul-de-sac.
That's because theists often give a wrong account of what their faith actually consists of. Glaucon and myself had an interesting exchange about this here: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1612652&postcount=51

There are a priori truths called necessarily true and then there are a posteriori truths which are called contingently true.

The process you are talking about is a contingent truth.

Contingent truths must be measurable. Because the process you are talking about (personal communion with God) is not measurable it is simply not possible to determine if the process is indeed real or (and more likely) delusional.

Funny enough, when people were first introduced to aliens in the 1950s and people believed they were abducted and "probed", when asked, they always describe the spaceships in this 1950's style. With funny knobs and dials etc... They did believe this happened to them. Exactly in the same way people believe they are in commune with God. Some people are just plain weird. Our brain is bifurcated and it's a bit weird. Anyway, were are stuck with only two types of truths, a priori truths and a posteriori truths. Because the Aliens, or Gods, never make an appearance it's impossible to establish whether people were abducted, or in communion with God, or it was all a delusion. It's impossible to establish an a posteriori truth.

Michael

PS: We both know that there are no spaceships with funny dials and knobs kidnapping people and taking them behind the moon.

The Final Argument.

Throughout the many varied arguments claiming there is a god and why there isn’t the question of evidence is always a central concern. The end result is usually a discussion of the validity of faith vs reason and issues of how we know what we know, i.e. questions of epistemology. However, that implies an oversimplification of the issue, or rather from the argument of reason which goes; since there is no empirical observation or detection then a belief without such evidence cannot be claimed as a truth, and where faith is simply belief without evidence. Such a position denies that subjectivity might have value.
this is only the final argument for an empiricist - and just to illustrate its absurdity, one could just as easily be talking about triangles or justice (since there is no empirical evidence for these things either) - IOW this argument falls face down in the mud before it even approaches things like god
Ultimately the theist asserts that they know a god exists because it communicates with him/her directly once they have come to a sincere acceptance or need.
The argument goes that the skeptic can never achieve this state because they are not using the subjective emotional sincerity needed.
you beg the q by assuming that god is not a person or somehow duty bound to be revealed to persons who are not sincere
In other words the alleged god will only reveal itself via a sincere subjective process. Clearly that is beyond current empirical methodologies and a scientific approach.
even to penetrate into the mysteries of physics requires a degree of sincerity (ie dedication, etc) so its not clear what your issue is
For example Lightgigantic offers - With theism, however there is the claim of direct perception (which does involve the mind and the senses) and also a process to attain such a state (namely purify the consciousness). Christians and Muslims have similar variations.

My objection is that the claimed knowledge from such a subjective process cannot be distinguished from delusion which is a more credible alternative than the acceptance that a super being exists capable of creating a universe.
you raised this earlier and I suggested that you would have a difficult time suggesting how anything can exist outside delusion with out accepting something a priori - for instance try and present an argument how the world really exists and is not a delusion and see how far you can get without relying on something a priori

I further object on the basis that the claimant has no process to verify that their alleged subjective knowledge is real, i.e. we only have their word for it. To my mind this becomes entirely a matter of credibility, but not proof either way.
once again, the richness of normative descriptions in scripture tends to suggest otherwise

My question for debate then becomes – is there any basis where we could establish that such a subjective process without any form of individual or independent verification could in fact offer a truth? While it seems on the surface that this could be easily and summarily dismissed by non-believers it is however the crux of the theist position and deserves some deeper attention if there can be any.[/QUOTE]
if thats your sincere belief, its not clear why you don't have a similar crisis on your hands when dealing with empirical issues

Cris

We must take into consideration just how powerful indoctrination can be. Children grow up with their parents, family and friends telling them their god, heaven, hell and all sorts of ghouls and goblins are real.
also similar damage can be done by parents who exert an atheistic influence
;)

also similar damage can be done by parents who exert an atheistic influence

By conditioning children to believe gods, angels, and demons exist, you are conditioning them to believe in things that cannot actually be demonstrated to exist.

I can only presume that you mean atheists condition their children to not believe in gods, angels and demons, and hence, condition them to not believe in that which cannot be demonstrated to exist?

What exactly is getting damaged here? :shrug:

By conditioning children to believe gods, angels, and demons exist, you are conditioning them to believe in things that cannot actually be demonstrated to exist.
incorrect
at least in theism there is the foundation of claims of direct perception
there is no such foundation in atheism however ....

I can only presume that you mean atheists condition their children to not believe in gods, angels and demons, and hence, condition them to not believe in that which cannot be demonstrated to exist?

What exactly is getting damaged here? :shrug:
seems like you have just shot yourself in the foot - unless of course you can demonstrate that god does not exist
;)

incorrect
at least in theism there is the foundation of claims of direct perception
there is no such foundation in atheism however ....

Theists claims are completely without foundation. Theists have nothing but unfounded claims.

seems like you have just shot yourself in the foot - unless of course you can demonstrate that god does not exist

I cannot demonstrate gods do not exist any more than you can demonstrate they do. You cannot demonstrate the FSM (praised be His noodled appendages) does not exist any more than I can demonstrate the FSM (Marinara be His sauce) does.

Wouldn't you much rather we just shot each other in the foot?

Back