The Dale Nuemann Case - Prayer over medicine?

I don't know what the law is in Aussieland, but in the USA, murder is a willful, premeditated crime. In the USA, he can't possibly be charged with murder. After that, there are lots of different things he could be charged with, but it wouldn't be murder.

Baron Max

only first degree

Can you prove that, or are you just trying to support your own agenda?

Baron Max

I'm supporting my own agenda by pointing out they couldn't possibly have been ignorant about what would happen.

They couldn't have honestly believed that.

Why? Faith is a powerful Force;

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/can-prayer-heal

Can Prayer Heal?
Does prayer have the power to heal? Scientists have some surprising answers.

By Jeanie Lerche Davis
WebMD Feature Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD​

Could it be possible? Could the prayers of a handful of people help someone -- even someone on the other side of the world -- facing heart surgery?

God Grabs Headlines
Research focusing on the power of prayer in healing has nearly doubled in the past 10 years, says David Larson, MD, MSPH, president of the National Institute for Healthcare Research, a private nonprofit agency.

Even the NIH -- which "refused to even review a study with the word prayer in it four years ago" -- is now funding one prayer study through its Frontier Medicine Initiative. Although it's not his study, Krucoff says it's nevertheless evidence that "things are changing."

Krucoff has been studying prayer and spirituality since 1996 -- and practicing it much longer in his patient care. Earlier studies of the subject were small and often flawed, he says. Some were in the form of anecdotal reports: "descriptions of miracles ... in patients with cancer, pain syndromes, heart disease," he says.

"[Today,] we're seeing systematic investigations -- clinical research -- as well as position statements from professional societies supporting this research, federal subsidies from the NIH, funding from Congress," he tells WebMD. "All of these studies, all the reports, are remarkably consistent in suggesting the potential measurable health benefit associated with prayer or spiritual interventions."

Some statistics from these studies:

Hospitalized people who never attended church have an average stay of three times longer than people who attended regularly.

Heart patients were 14 times more likely to die following surgery if they did not participate in a religion.

Elderly people who never or rarely attended church had a stroke rate double that of people who attended regularly.

In Israel, religious people had a 40% lower death rate from cardiovascular disease and cancer.

Why? Faith is a powerful Force

Fine - so pray at someone's bedside, in a hospital. That kind of psychological well-being is probably a significant quantitative boon. But don't deny care because you think God will heal diabetes. Isn't it writ "God helps those who help themselves"?

I wonder what sort of controls are used in these studies of the alleged effects of prayer in medical situations. Note the following from one such study.
These studies show that religious people tend to live healthier lives. "They're less likely to smoke, to drink, to drink and drive,"
In properly designed studies, some attempt is made to avoid biased choice of participants.

For example: Elderly people who attend church every week are obviously not bed ridden or suffering from various conditions making it difficult or impossible to attend church regularly. Without some screening, a study of elderly people would be very likely to erroneoulsly indicate that regular church attendence contributes to better health & longer life.

I could believe them if the recipient knew, I think. Good will = endophins = less stress response and less mortality. That sort of thing is fine, as far as I'm concerned, obviously. Doesn't hurt anyone.

It's when it's transformed into stupid that the problems start.

It's the same if you let your house burn down with your family in it while you prayed for the fire to die out instead of calling the fire brigade. It's dangerous neglect and should be punished.

Back