On Christmases, do you normally feel...

• happier than normal

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • about the same as normal

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • less happy than normal

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
I feel neither happier nor less happy, but I do feel more stressed.

During the lead-up to Christmas, I feel that commercial people are trying to manipulate me. It's annoying, and it lasts weeks.

I make every effort to ignore Christmas until the week before Christmas day.

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing day, I usually enjoy.
During the real Christmas I would say I am probably happier than usual.

I don't give into the capitalists and corporate marketeers anymore than I want. I like artistically done xmas light displays but not going to the mall for black friday or xmas sales. I like the Starbucks pepper mint mocha, but I don't buy holiday mugs. I like xmas songs about santa and being blue for xmas but I don't buy xmas albums since its on the radio.

Corporate America is at the mercy of the buyer -not the other way around.

I don't give into the capitalists and corporate marketeers anymore than I want. I like artistically done xmas light displays but not going to the mall for black friday or xmas sales. I like the Starbucks pepper mint mocha, but I don't buy holiday mugs. I like xmas songs about santa and being blue for xmas but I don't buy xmas albums since its on the radio.

So what you are capitulating here, is that for you, Christmas is all about you.

Correct?

That's the problem.
It's a religious celebration which has been hijacked by the corporate rationalists that they call accountants.

You Sir, could not be more "on the money". I applaud your dignity.

I would respectfully like to take it a step further however. It's my feelings that the ONLY thing that is derogatory about Christmas is the perversion of it's truest meaning, context, and origin. It's disgusting how the social/political deviant chameleons attempt to deny the reality of the altruistic Christmas religious holiday experience in light of their own beliefs.

Disclaimer: This post is NOT an attempt to arouse the defensive nature of other posters. It is NOT aimed at anyone,or any belief system in general or specific. It reflects my personal feelings on the matter based on the corruption of the true nature & celebration of Christmas as perceived by myself.

I voted Happier then normal.

I really get excited about Christmas and other holidays like Halloween etc.
I am a giver and l like to see the smiles on my families faces when I make them something or get them something they really wanted. I decorate the house, bake cookies and make crafts with my youngest. He likes to make Christmas cards and ornaments for other family members. I made a Turkey dinner and we spent a lot of family time playing Rock Band (the present my older one wanted) We also relax and sit around in our Pj's and watch Christmas shows or movies. Let's hear it for MR HANKY the Christmas POO! :D

I think that some of you may be missing out a bit if you don't have kids.

I'm always happy this time of year. [...] Family is the reason for the season.

Christmas is my favorite atheist holiday!

So what you are capitulating here, is that for you, Christmas is all about you.

Correct?

Please elucidate how you arrive at this conclusion of acquiescence based on my only two posts in the thread.

Please elucidate how you arrive at this conclusion of acquiescence based on my only two posts in the thread.

Simple. I am replying specifically in context to your second post which uses the word "I" more than any other identifying, or control exerting, noun. This word starts every sentence save your last in this particular post. The last sentence is a clear statement of rebuttal as to your perceived control over the corporate hijacking of the Christmas holiday because of your element of control over it. Correct?

Now furthermore, according to your first post in this thread:

You have chosen to back a personally derived perception of Christmas rather than celebrating it's original identity and meaning.

Christmas is a Christian (religious) holiday by definition is it not?

The celebration of Christmas for you however, is either (a) self derived, or (b) self agreed to with respect to your proclaimed Atheism. This "self" to which I refer, is you. Therefore, Christmas via your self ascribed perception of it, is "about" you according to your first and second post in this thread.

No insult, nor derogation intended, whatsoever.

Lot happier than normal, but more stressed than normal. Making cookies, candy, decorating, etc. Fun things to do, but added stress. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Boxing day? Are you Canadian? I thought only us Canadians have boxing day.
From Wikipedia: Boxing Day is a bank holiday or a public holiday in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and countries in the Commonwealth of Nations with a mainly Christian population. In South Africa this public holiday is now known as the Day of Goodwill. . . .Boxing Day dates back to past centuries when it was the custom for the wealthy to give gifts to employees or to people in a lower social class, most especially to household servants and other service personnel.

M*W: With all the holiday parties and get-togethers, I see that nobody mentioned all the free holiday booze.

Cheers!

to whoever said that of course boxing day is a holiday in Australia, you maybe interested to know that "boxing day" BY THAT NAME, isnt a universal holiday in Australia. For instance "boxing day" in SA is called "Proclomation day" ie its the day the state was proclaimed a state (or collony or whatever).

Most people (especially those like myself from other states) call it boxing day however:p

Boxing day? Are you Canadian? I thought only us Canadians have boxing day.

The UK also has boxing day.
It's called boxing day because by then you are so fed up of your relatives that you start punching them.

Hello Orleander. We haven't met on many threads recently.
Happy New Year.

Last edited:
That's the problem.
It's a religious celebration which has been hijacked by the corporate rationalists that they call accountants.

You Sir, could not be more "on the money". I applaud your dignity.

I would respectfully like to take it a step further however. It's my feelings that the ONLY thing that is derogatory about Christmas is the perversion of it's truest meaning, context, and origin. It's disgusting how the social/political deviant chameleons attempt to deny the reality of the altruistic Christmas religious holiday experience in light of their own beliefs.

Disclaimer: This post is NOT an attempt to arouse the defensive nature of other posters. It is NOT aimed at anyone,or any belief system in general or specific. It reflects my personal feelings on the matter based on the corruption of the true nature & celebration of Christmas as perceived by myself.

I detest accountants.
Not when they are in their traditional role of tracking a company's money, and
showing where they are profitable, but when they gain control and the only objective is profit. It is pure evil.

If we could get away from the corporate Christmas, as a Christian celebration it is far more complex and fulfilling.
We'd be better off.

Back