The character of Loki

I must say this is my first post and this thread convinced me to actually join the forum.

Loki has been paired to Heimdall sometimes (they kill each other and they are similar-opposite in some aspects) but never to Odin. Usually. Actually the only mention of Loki and Odin to be foster- or sworn brothers is in Lokasenna, and it's used mockingly, en passant, by Loki himself, so I wouldn't take it too seriously. It clearly refers to some myth that has been lost, but then we do not know how when and why this ceremony did happen, especially since the fragment only speaks of "mingling of blood"
But Loki is indeed a shadowy, difficult to understand figure, with many tasks, many different aspects. I believe it may be for difference of perception of him through time and folk tales.
Heathenism has no official, canonical sacred text. People were considerably free to tell stories, and they were free to use mythology characters in their stories. So the Evil Loki of Ragnarok could live together with the Loki of funny jokes or the Loki that saves the Mjollnir from the hands of the giants.
Also, as somebody else already said, Loki is a "person"; as normal people, even evil ones, he is supposed to have a multifaceted character - something completely lacking in monotheism.

Back