The basis of moon and sun worship in the Bible

Medicine*Woman

Jesus: Mythstory--Not History!
Valued Senior Member
M*W: For discussion:

"The many references to the Bible to the heathen cults give ample evidence that both sun and moon worships were practiced widely by the Hebrews in ancient Palestine. Prior to the promulgation of the Mosaic Code, the Jews employed lunar time, and it still remains the basis of their religious calendar."

Ernest Busenback: Symbols, Sex, and the Stars, The Book Tree, San Diego, California, 1949.

Anybody want to discuss this? Let me throw a question out there. Why do christians primarily worship on Sunday?

Because on a calendar the first day is Monday.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday - Off from work

Basically, yeah. If it's sun/moon worship, I would think it would be more evident. M-W?

Basically, yeah. If it's sun/moon worship, I would think it would be more evident. M-W?
M*W: I guess it is more evident to those of us who like to read about ancient mythologies. Sun-day was reserved for worship of the sun, and Moon-day was Monday for starters. The christians later worshipped on sun-day like the Jews worshipped on their Sabbath, Fridan night until Saturday night. I don't want to get too complicated here. Just enough for info.

Yes.

Let's say it's so: so what? It doesn't correspond to actual sun-worship or moon-worship. I've been in enough churches that I think I might have noticed that. But just adoption of the days? Well...okay, I guess. How does that translate into the OP statement?

Why do christians primarily worship on Sunday?
Don't you think that worshiping the Sun, which shines during the daytime when we're awake, lets us see, makes us warm, keeps the predators away, grows our crops, and provides all our energy, is a more positive and upbeat view of the universe than worshiping the moon, which shines during the night when we can't see very well, everything is cold and dormant, and only bandits and predators are active?

For all of Christianity's dark side, some of those ancient cults are downright creepy!
Because on a calendar the first day is Monday.
You must not be from America or any of the anglophone countries. On our calendars Sunday is the first day of the week and Saturday is the seventh. I know it's the opposite in some of the countries where the Romance languages are spoken: Spanish lunes martes miércoles jueves viernes sábado domingo.
The christians later worshipped on sunday like the Jews worshipped on their Sabbath, Friday night until Saturday night.
On the Jewish calendar the day begins at sundown rather than midnight. So what to us is Friday night is the beginning of Saturday to them. They hold their religious services when their Saturday/Sabbath begins, which is Friday night on our calendar. Their day ends when the sun vanishes, rather than at a rather arbitrary point in the middle of the night that would have been very difficult to identify in the days before clocks.

Sabbath in Ancient Hebrew, Shabat in Liturgical and Modern Israeli Hebrew, or Shabes in Yiddish is used as the name for Saturday. Some of the languages of the Christian nations still retain it, such as Spanish sábado and Russian subbota.

In English most of the days of the week are named after pre-Christian Norse gods: Tiu's day, Wodin's Day, Thor's Day, Fria's Day; with Saturn's Day, Sun's Day and Moon's Day also thrown in from "pagan" worship. (A "pagan" is a person who believes in superstitions that are different from yours.) The Quakers originally avoided using those names because they are blasphemous, and just called them "First Day" etc., but they eventually began conforming to the common usage because in their culture to stand out is a greater sin than blasphemy.

In the Romance languages many of the days retain their "pagan" names: lunes the Moon, martes Mars, miércoles Mercury, jueves Jupiter, viernes Venus. Domingo, Sunday, is "the Lord's day."

In Portuguese they solved the problem by giving them numbers: Domingo, segunda feira, terça feira, quarta feira, quinta feira, sábado. They also number them in Chinese: libai yi, libai er, libai san, libai si, libai wu, libai liu... and libai tian, Sunday, is "heaven's day."

Last edited:
Don't you think that worshiping the Sun, which shines during the daytime when we're awake, lets us see, makes us warm, keeps the predators away, grows our crops, and provides all our energy, is a more positive and upbeat view of the universe than worshiping the moon, which shines during the night when we can't see very well, everything is cold and dormant, and only bandits and predators are active?
M*W: Yes, I can see how our ancient ancestors thought of the sun as our creator. If there were a god, I'd think the sun would be a good candidate.

OK, but this still isn't sun/moon worship in the Bible. Or even Christian tradition.

OK, but this still isn't sun/moon worship in the Bible. Or even Christian tradition.
M*W: One would have to carefully read the scriptural text to pick-up the references to astrotheological interpretations. I will post some references to this when I get some time.

~ M*W

Very well. I await your further arguments.
M*W: From the beginning of recorded history, man has put his belief and worship in astrological beings.

"Astrology survives in our own culture because Christianity embraced it with one hand, while condemning it as a devilish art with the other. Church fathers like Augustine, Jerome, Eusebius, Lactantius, and Ambrose all anathematized astrology."

Walker, Barbara, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, Harper, 1983.

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what was planted...."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-2

"Thou has made the moon to mark the seasons, the sun to know its time."

Amos 9:6

The bible also tells that the kings of Judah were sun-worshippers...

"removed the horses that the kings of Judah had dedicated to the sun..."

2 Kings 23:11

Going on to the the New Testament, there are many references to be found there. I'm going to be brief.

Paul reveals some astrological thinking in 1 Corinthians when he refers to;

"There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory."

Is Paul referring to the sun being a star?

There are more references, but I'll keep this short for now.

M-W: most of these cites are of marginal (functional) relation at best; time-keeping, essentially. You didn't quote 2 Kings 23:11 in completion, either:

He did away with the horses which the kings of Judah had given to the sun, at the entrance of the house of the LORD, by the chamber of Nathan-melech the official, which was in the precincts; and he burned the chariots of the sun with fire

My emphasis; the point is that sun-worship is being thrown down, not raised up. It's historical, not dialectical: unless that was your point?

I'll point out Deuteronomy here: Deuteronomy 4:19 "And beware not to lift up your eyes to heaven and see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, and be drawn away and worship them and serve them, those which the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.

The verse from Corinthians appears to be a reference to a kind of Platonean differentiation among things: in Corinthians 15:21-22 we find The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor. So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable.

M-W: most of these cites are of marginal (functional) relation at best; time-keeping, essentially. You didn't quote 2 Kings 23:11 in completion, either:

My emphasis; the point is that sun-worship is being thrown down, not raised up. It's historical, not dialectical: unless that was your point?

I'll point out Deuteronomy here: Deuteronomy 4:19 "And beware not to lift up your eyes to heaven and see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, and be drawn away and worship them and serve them, those which the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.

The verse from Corinthians appears to be a reference to a kind of Platonean differentiation among things: in Corinthians 15:21-22 we find The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor. So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable.
M*W: Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I didn't have a lot of time to really get into sun worship, so my posts are sporadic. I do think that in the translations of the bible, there were astrological statements that were changed, specifically to deconstruct the astrological concepts the bible contained. Later...

Most Christians worship on Sunday today because Constantine made Sunday the Roman day of rest in 321.

"On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for grain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."

He did so, for likely 2 reasons.
1) While many sects kept the sabbath tradition up until the Laodicean Council in 364 (particularly eastern denominations) a good portion of the early church had already given up the Sabbath, just as they had given up many of the laws of the old covenant. Constantine's support of Christianity by making Sunday a secular holiday continued this trend.

St. Ignatius wrote to the Magnesians (~100AD):
We have seen how former adherents of the ancient customs have since attained to a new hope; so that they have given up keeping the Sabbath, and now order their lives by the Lord's Day instead - the Day when life first dawned for us, thanks to Him (Jesus) and His death.

2) It was easier to make Sunday the day of rest, and provided political power to the Roman Church. Due to the existing Sol worship in Rome, and the western Church's existing Lord's Day worship, Sunday was both the easy choice, and it provided the Roman church with power over the eastern, Sabbath-following church. He gave his mother's Christianity a boost over other roman religions, and did so without making anyone (other than the Jews, for the most part) mad about it.

Roman traditions, particularly those which then became standard in the RCC, have influenced western culture heavily ever since.

As for why many of the early Christians gave up the sabbath prior to Emperor Jovian's council and its outlawing of sabbath keeping, they also gave up circumcision, washing of hands before eating, stoning people for working on Saturday, etc, etc, etc. The new covenant between man and god through Jesus removed the need to follow the law of the sabbath, so long as the holiness of the sabbath was kept.

The selection of Sunday (instead of, say Wednesday), seems to stem from Jesus' resurrection occurring on "the first day of the week" (John 20:1) and possibly more importantly, the Pentecost/birth of the church 50 days later (Acts 2:1) - also a Sunday. Further reasoning as to why Sunday was chosen is potentially up for debate, but I'm not aware of much other than circumstantial evidence to suggest that it was specifically sun worship. The only thing hinting at such a thing, in my mind, is the increase prominence of the Lord's Day in the Roman & Greek areas, whereas the eastern regions tended to hold to the Saturday tradition; and that seems merely a regional variation, possibly because it was easier for a non-Jewish Roman to convert from one Sunday-based religion to another: no need to alter your work schedule. ;)

I do think that in the translations of the bible, there were astrological statements that were changed, specifically to deconstruct the astrological concepts the bible contained.
This is why the Jews and Muslims insist that their holy books must be read in the original languages.

I was in a synagogue for the first time in my life a few months ago for a bar mitzvah. I started leafing through the Torah that came with my seat and was astounded by what I saw. One fourth of each page was original Hebrew text, another fourth was an English translation, and one half was a bunch of rabbis arguing over what the words mean! And a rabbi is simply a "teacher"--not some anointed holy guy (or gal in Reform congregations) but just anyone who is wise and educated enough to earn the community's respect.

Yet almost all Christians read the Bible in translation, and moreover, they're discouraged from disputing their holy man's interpretation of what it means!

Perhaps the most pernicious example of this is the passage in the Torah condemning usury as a violation of God's law. In many languages the Christian version of the Old Testament mistranslated that as "any loaning of money for interest." This prevented the conversion of surplus wealth into capital and stalled the development of their economy... until they realized that it was not unlawful to borrow money at interest and that the Jews were happy to loan them their money.

So now of course they blame the Jews for having so many leadership positions in the banking industry. Duh! They don't read the Bible in the original language, and they don't read history at all!

Back