The atheist, the theist, and the agnostic

Are you an atheist, theist, or agnostic?

• I am a theist, raised from birth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am agnostic, from an atheist family

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi Norsefire,
How would you compare theism, agnosticism, and atheism to their parallels regarding kids learning th "truth" about Santa?

There are three children in the playground... one believes Santa is real, one isn't sure, and the third says there is no Santa.
Is there a difference in principle between the positions of the first child and the third?
Your view of agnosticism is... naive.

It is NOT a "50/50... unsure" category or half-way house between theism and atheism.

Atheism and theism are matters of belief in the existence of God. If you do believe - you are a theist; if you do not have that belief - you are atheist (irrespective of whether you believe God does not exist).

Agnosticism is a stance on the epistemology of God - i.e. whether one considers God to be knowable or unknowable, or whether one has personal knowledge etc.

It is possible to be an agnostic theist, an agnostic atheist, or a non-agnostic variety of each.

Therefore this poll is flawed from the start.

I could be counted as a theist, agnostic, and atheist. It all depends on how you define divinity.

Are you an atheist, theist, or agnostic?
(Poly)theist. By choice.

I was raised in an atheist/agnostic home. Both parents are atheists, but believe that I should make my own choices in life. They don't mind the fact that I am a pagan and polytheist, because I'm an adult, and it's none of their business what religion I choose to have.

I think all atheists lack the element of human beings that results in faith.

You know, I really hate hearing religious people say this. Something really pisses me off about how people like you and Norsefire can say that atheists are a little subhuman because they lack characteristics that make them religious. You say we are uncultured, and even if we are cultured or morally aware, then we should thank religion for that.

Like it or not, atheists are fully human. We experience ALL emotions that even the most delusional of theists feel. But just because we are similar, does not mean we will act the same way.

Seems like to be an Atheist is a way of rebelling, if not against parents then against society, government.
nonsense,I dont know where you live but my goverment is not theistic/religious!
Another thing i notice is that children (teens) these days seem to think declaring oneself Atheist raises their IQ. Well just be reading on the net you can see there is no truth to this, i think it is pretty funny though.
hmm Ive noticed just the opposite,atheists make way more sense then religious nuts every site you go to,
go to the US bible belt and its like bunch of mindless religious zombies
www.fuckthesouth.com

now you could also look how stupid people are highly religious countries such as Africa ME etc and how inteligent and successful atheistic places such as Europe Japan Canada ets are and it tells you atheists are smarter and more succesful maybe b/c they dont waste time praying but THINK and reason more so get things done better and faster...
The thing is a person has to make a conscious effort to be an Atheist because humans have the desire to believe.
nonsense again,
I know how you feel though,I believed in astrology for a while before reaching age of reason,LOL..
I guess in hope to have some lucky stars help me along.. so theists need some invisible protector I guess
I really think that to be born an Atheist is just not possible, normally we would all be Agnostic.
everyone is born atheist,
IF no one told you to worship god when you was litle ,you'd never even think something like god could even exist.

not in this modern age educated with all the scientific knowledge and TRUTH that comes from it.
religions just force too much BS into kids heads so now they cant even think logicaly on their own

Pete, what does Santa Clause have to do with God?
The similarity is that their existence is believed by some, and not by others.

You say that there is little difference in principle between believing that God exists, and believing that God does not exist.
I'm interested in exploring that notion further, so I offer a possible parallel:
Is there a difference in principle between believing that Santa exists, and believing that Santa does not exist?

Your view of agnosticism is... naive.
Hi Sarkus,
My portrayal is of the concept under discussion that is referred to as "agnosticism" in this thread. I'm aware that there are other concepts covered by the same term, but they're not directly under discussion here.

Back