The Atheist Purpose?

So without meaning to sound derogatory tiassa, what's your point? I read your post twice, but all I see is a dig at atheists because they seem to want to uphold beliefs, or systems without reference to a greater power, and that theists are better because at least they admit they don't have all the answers? Correct me if I'm wrong though, my head's not in a good shape at the moment. I'd like to try and answer some of your "charges" if I can.

Siddhartha

My perception is that Atheism has failed Tiassa in some respects
and she is now posing the question 'What's in it for me'?

Crunchy Cat

Of course not; however, one can predict how things would be
today if 'Acceptance without proof' was done away with 2000
years ago. We would probably be colonizing our little edge of
the Universe by now.
This is its own discussion that is entirely its own. It bears huge presumptions of human nature and result that cannot be in any way realistically substantiated. It is a faith declaration.
I've attained
Yeah ... you and Crowley and Aubrey.

Are you sure you're not religious? Of course, I tend to think that atheists are as religious as anyone else insofar as they have rituals in their lives and an array of faith statements describing reality to them. The only real difference is where the atheist gets theirs.
I'll address these puppies at the same time and I will focus on
American society. In the infancy of American society, someone said
"Life, Liberty, and the Persuit of happiness". Whether this was
inspired by religion or not is a 'don't care' item at this point. Any
reference to 'God' is simply not made and this is where religion
seperates from American ideology. Now as far as what is deemed
as unacceptable, I would say the basic concept is anything that
that impedes "Life, Liberty, and the Persuit of happiness" for
the individual. Of course that's a little high level which is why we
have a legal system to handle the nitty gritty cases that come
along.
It's a lot easier to pretend to make certain considerations if you merely exscind the parts you find too much effort to care about. I think you'll find, as you delve deeper into history, that at some point even into the twentieth century, God was a basic presumption of the American ideology. And since people stole and lied and had sex with their children back then, too, we can at least consider dispensing with the focus on the overt: you're dealing with a human process at some point, and humans are not nearly as overt as we tend to think they are.
Happiness & Satisfaction without the fear of eternal suffering?
Now you're selling religion.
I think you need to ask yourself 'what
matters to me?' and 'what will make me happy?'
Um ... the amount of damage that aspect can bring humanity is, I would think, demonstrable in history.

Here's a little, well, not a quiz, but at any rate your participation would be appreciated:

- What is the difference between the following statements?

(A) And you harm none, do what you will.
(B) "Do what you will" shall be the whole of the law.
If you can
answer those questions I can probably tell you how accepting
things without proof would roadblock those items (which indirectly
shows you why NOT accepting things without proof is so
valuable).
It's neither solid nor compelling: On the one hand, it seems too obvious to point out how your posts, despite your ideas about not accepting things without proof, are rife with that very problem. To the other, I don't see the point in undertaking a metaphysical question just to earn your interpretation of what so many people already know.

And, again, it's not a quiz, but if you would be so kind as to humor me and fill in the blank:

- I (do not accept)/(reject) an idea of God because ______.

And in this I'm not necessarily looking to larger atheism: Your own take would be greatly appreciated.

It's just that I would like to see atheism live up to its potential. Once a hopeful possibility, it seems to me that atheists have reduced it to shock value and extraneous ritual.

And one last one, if you would be so kind. While I'm hesitant to declare it an atheistic position, I'm curious if you agree with it nonetheless:

- True or False: "It is not my responsibility to learn about what I criticize or dislike."

(I picked that one up from a topic critical of a specific religious idea; it just seemed quite paradoxical to me that the poster didn't feel the need to know anything about what s/he criticized. But I've learned the danger of overestimating people: expect nothing, and then you'll only be slightly disappointed. And doesn't that seem just somehow unnecessarily gloomy?)

There is an apparent lack of willingness running through many of our Sciforums atheists to acknowledge that other people are a real factor to be dealt with. I find this interesting. To be honest, when I think of the offensive notion that atheism necessarily leads to amoralism at best, I can't believe the number of atheists bent on proving it true. There was a time when even the atheists cared just a little more about what they actually believed. In those days I could defend the idea as a credible and functional idea compared to others. I cannot anymore, however, as I would merely be pushing a fiction.

Be happy in your self-centered world. That's the best I can hope. And that's tragic since your happiness will require other people to be unhappy, and ne'er the twain shall apparently meet inside your brain.

I know, I know. How dare I accept that other people exist, since the proof cannot be universally applied ....

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Siddhartha

Atheism is a belief system, it's not a transaction.

A very interesting statement. If you observe the reponses of
Atheists across this forum you will note that for some it's a belief
system, for some it's a transaction, and for some it's both /
neither.

Re: Tiassa

Originally posted by Crunchy Cat
First and foremost, before I respond to your earlier post I
want to apologize for harping on you about the size of your posts
(I did this about a year go).
My perception is that Atheism has failed Tiassa in some respects
and she is now posing the question 'What's in it for me'?

so, for more than a year you have been thinking tiassa is 'she'... how?!

something about relational sets...

Well, JamesR said very lucidly and succinctly what I would have trodden all over but I'll see if I can't put a few additional spins into the discussion.

Originally posted by tiassa
But look at the comparative values: Infrastructure for morality v. Freedom of Choice
Quite frankly, I don't see that the theist has any additional infrastructure to support their morality. In fact, what I most often witness is a definite lack of support. "God says so", is hardly an impressive bit of reasoning and adds nothing to our understanding. And unless God herself tells me I find little to support a purely authoritative backing for an ethical position.

My favorite question to pose to fundamentalists is, "If I could prove to you that God does not exist would you still believe in what your religion says about morality?" The most common answer is no, which tells me that they have put no additional consideration into their philosophy. Their consideration stopped with God's authority, beyond which is a terrifying abyss. Indeed, I believe this is precisely why so many theists react so strongly to atheism... often more strongly than to an opposed religion. Atheism addresses the primary vulnerability in theistic philosophy, the singular support for the entire structure.

So what becomes important is the idea of what one chooses to fill the void. You have freedom of choice, what do you choose? (Yes, I see some suggestions to that exact point come next in your post.)
And the nature of that thought process, too: that is very important in this context.
Actually, my suggestion would be first to study religious ethical philosophy not to knock God out of the picture and then try to pick up the pieces. There is a rational argument out there for many religious moral positions; if one takes the time to found these positions in logic they will stand with or without an argument from authority. If/when the time comes to take God out of the argument one will not be left foundering and if that time never comes, well, then you have a handy secular argument to support your position.

What I am interested in is what you're view as an atheist is on disseminating the common atheist views and to what eventual end. Stamp out religion? If so then why?
I think much of what we witness is reactionary. But for myself, my main purpose in doing so is to get people thinking about the reasoning behind their positions. "Can you offer any additional support for that?" Is a position I take over and over again. I attack the weak spots because they are weak. If someone is vulnerable, I owe it to them to point out their vulnerability... I certainly want them to do so for me. I want to know so that I am not caught off guard, pierced through the heart by some random event that I have no response for.

I don't believe much of that which comprises religion ever will or should be "stamped out". What I do want to see is a relaxation from absolute certainty and the rejection of religious authority. I want to sow doubt in the minds of the absolutists; to create some space for uncertainty, discussion, understanding, and compromise.

I still maintain that atheism is somewhat an anti-identification
It is.

But in light of Cris' remarks above, what I'm after is the anything else.
But that's just it... pretty much everything else is left, one just needs to find an alternative argument for it. Let's look at an easy one, "Do unto others as your would have them to unto you." Well, I can either take God's word for it or realize, "Hey, I like it when people smile and say hello rather than punching me in the nose. I bet they do too."

despite atheism being what it is by Cris' remarks, what it usurps in the irrational conscience is a very large collection of ideas.
And here is perhaps where we differ most; Fuck the irrational conscience, burn it down. Now practically, I understand some of the problems therein and I do believe the irrational can be valuable. But I simply cannot communicate with those who cling to their irrationality as a defense against any query. I honestly do not know how to reach someone there on anything but an emotional level and I sure as shit don't know how to bring them out of it. All I can do is give support and hope they find their own way back.

To revisit Atheism 101, and I'm sorry to have to ask, but why does the atheist retain the underlying philosophy while rejecting the Godhead?
Because there are some sound principles within. Does it matter where one finds truth? From an atheist perspective, religion was created by man anyway. It's all just philosophy and politics translated through fantastical stories that have become confused with reality.

What about the underlying philosophy retained, when scrutinized to such a degree as the godhead, holds up? It is as much affinity as the religion itself.
I'm not really quite sure what you expect here. Most of us will admit to our assumptions at some point. Personally, I view those who refuse to as much in error as the strong theistic position. For those theists who admit to "a leap of faith" or have expressed the ineffability of god I have little argument.

While murder has always, generally speaking, been considered wrong, if you did it (under what conditions?) then it is okay.

Now, what of those conditions have any real objective basis?
This invokes for me something I was considering for the other topics (and maybe I'll just let them tie in here rather than worrying about resurrecting them). Perhaps the error lies in trying to nail down a single absolute set of ethics. But rather than reducing it to absolute moral relativism (which I refute) perhaps there is a solution in multiple relational sets of ethical values. One might therefore be able to state that while murder is always wrong according to one ethical set there are instances where the action is mandated by another ethical set that takes precedence according to the situation. Anyway, it's something I'm playing with... any thoughts would be appreciated.

I mean, while God kicking you in the poopchute seems a silly enough reason to do anything, are we looking for truly better reasons, or just reasons that sound better?
While I'm willing to say that a purely objective foundation is perhaps impossible I don't see that this makes the various positions equal. Frankly, it's not pure objectivism that I'm looking for but something that is rational yet flexible.

And while I know you're not one to simply write off the parts of religious philosophy that don't have to do with poopchutes, the danger of doing so obviously exists, though it would not be fair to suggest in any way that this might be symptomatic of some thought processes that lead someone to affirm their atheism.
I think it is symptomatic of people in general. It's a categorical rejection; "religion is bad", "atheism is bad", "Wicca is bad"... they are quite simply born of ignorance and intolerance. It would almost be funny if it weren't so dangerous.

But what I hope to get people to think about it--and I'm not quite ready to drag them kicking and screaming to the mirror yet--is the basis of any values, especially--as the topic has it--in relation to the atheistic assertion and the implications it bears when communicated to other people.
I think we've agreed about this before but if we could just get everyone to stop worrying about God for a little while perhaps we could accomplish something.

~Raithere

Tiassa

This is its own discussion that is entirely its own. It bears huge presumptions of human nature and result that cannot be in any way realistically substantiated. It is a faith declaration.

The biggest presumption being that humans (large scale) 'could'
NOT accept things without proof... but yes this could be a
completely seperate discussion.

Yeah ... you and Crowley and Aubrey.

Are you sure you're not religious? Of course, I tend to think that atheists are as religious as anyone else insofar as they have rituals in their lives and an array of faith statements describing reality to them. The only real difference is where the atheist gets theirs.

I'm certain I'm not religious :). No rituals (praying, chicken
sacrifice, secret clubs). As far as faith statements describing
reality... I would hope that any such statement was simply a
model based on observations (at the very least). Maybe life
experience is where these faith statements are coming from?

It's a lot easier to pretend to make certain considerations if you merely exscind the parts you find too much effort to care about. I think you'll find, as you delve deeper into history, that at some point even into the twentieth century, God was a basic presumption of the American ideology. And since people stole and lied and had sex with their children back then, too, we can at least consider dispensing with the focus on the overt: you're dealing with a human process at some point, and humans are not nearly as overt as we tend to think they are.

With the basic fundamentals ideas I noted, look how much
society has matured in America nonetheless without the use
of 'God'.

Now you're selling religion.

Just exemplifying the art of 'weasel'.

(A) And you harm none, do what you will.
(B) "Do what you will" shall be the whole of the law.

Assuming your interpretation of 'harm none' is the same as mine,
A) Offers protection while B) does not.

- I (do not accept)/(reject) an idea of God because ______.

I dont agree with the question here :). It's not the idea (concept)
of 'God' I don't accept. It's the assertion that 'God' exists that
I don't accept because of lack of empirical evidence.

True or False: "It is not my responsibility to learn about what I criticize or dislike."

Conditionally True or False. If it's something that peaks my
interest then True (remember you can be interested in things
you criticize and / or dislike). If not then False. The Christian and
Judaic religions have peaked my interest, but unfortunately it's
just Sci Fi.

Be happy in your self-centered world. That's the best I can hope. And that's tragic since your happiness will require other people to be unhappy, and ne'er the twain shall apparently meet inside your brain.

But which other people are unhappy and more importantly Why
are they unhappy?

I know, I know. How dare I accept that other people exist, since the proof cannot be universally applied ....

You post therefore you exist. Come on now, don't be silly. There
is one question that I would like to see you answer... what would
make you happy? A reason? A person? A pet? An opportunity?
World domination? What is it?

everneo

The name 'Tiassa' sounds female. I am sure 'he' can overlook this
if I pulled a gender mismatch.

Originally posted by Siddhartha
Atheism is a belief system, it's not a transaction.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a belief "system". A system involves a group of items forming a unified whole. Atheism is simply disbelief in the existence of God or gods, and there are no other items that necessarily accompany this definition.

Originally posted by Jade Squirrel
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a belief "system". A system involves a group of items forming a unified whole. Atheism is simply disbelief in the existence of God or gods, and there are no other items that necessarily accompany this definition.
True, I concede my wording was a little misleading. I merely meant to say that "What's in it for me?" is not something that an atheist should really think. I'm not calling it a "forbidden question", I just don't see how it relates to the crux of the matter, namely the non-belief in a God/Gods.

Siddhartha

I merely meant to say that "What's in it for me?" is not something that an atheist should really think.

Are you kidding me? WHIFM is a HUGE factor concerning human
behavior. I am 100% confident that every person on the planet
has asked (either conciously or unconciously) 'What's in it for
me?'. Being an Atheist does not exlude one from this question.
One of Tiassa's points is that Atheism does not sell itself (beccause it doesn't address WHIFM) and thusly is doomed to
never be mainstream (as religions address WHIFM).

At some point your "reason" becomes faith. Why is murder wrong? Do you understand the question yet?

As I see it, the problem is that you yourself do not understand the question, nor do you understand who you are asking.

This question has absolutely no relevance to Atheism what so ever. Atheism isn't a code of ethics, the answer to this question is NOT in atheism, and so asking this question of atheists is not going to get you the "atheist response."

Seeing how as you seem very intent on knowing my personal reasons for believing that murder is wrong, then I'll tell you, just realize that the reason you've been getting no answers is because you've been asking "As an atheist, why do you feel murder is wrong" and to that, all that anyone can say is "As an atheist I don't feel that murder is wrong" because it is not atheism which dictates that it is immoral. Now for the moment that I can't understand why you've been waiting for:

According to my personal views (those being views quite outside atheism) personal rights should be granted as being inherent to an individual. As is true in objective reality, one has the ability to do whatever other’s (individuals, groups, or just the laws of physics) can’t stop him from doing, this of course is complete freedom, but it’s also chaos, under this system murder isn’t much different from any other act which would infringe on another’s right (it being the denial of any further action from that point on). For the interest of ensuring that people remain close to this standard of having inherent rights, one’s actions should be such that any action which does not adversely effect another person is just fine and dandy, and those which do have the potential to be immoral, unless sanctioned by the other individual. For instance, just because I CAN kick someone in the face to make them stop talking, doesn’t mean that I should, as this is an infringement on his own rights, and he is performing an action which has no adverse effect on myself (ie it doesn’t limit my own action, and does not interfere with my rights). By my own moral code immorality is best judged by how your action interferes with the ability of others to exercise any of their own rights (Again rights are defined as essentially any action which one can take while not adversely effecting someone else). Murder is wrong because it is ultimately the premature denial of all rights without so much as a hope of appeal.

There, now that you’ve made me write down that awkward mess I hope you are happy, and will cease your moronic ad homonym. . . you stupid bitch.

If you have any more direct questions you'd like to ask, please consider first weather the question is within the scope of Atheism, or if it's simply looking for an example of how one comes to a decision about morals without the guiding help of dogma.

Siddhartha

Correct me if I'm wrong though, my head's not in a good shape at the moment.
Nah. People tend to take sides too quickly. What it is, simply, is that I'm simply fed up with our damned atheists. For all the bitching they do, they've got nothing to offer, and I'm also pissy about another topic in which someone said it wasn't their responsibility to understand or learn about what they criticized.

You might also notice that the digs at atheism are ... progressive. I'm losing my patience at the number of people who would dare criticize "religion" who are, in their own right, quite religious. Now, we're all aware that Christians and Muslims and Jews and so forth fight between their labels, and also within them. But here we have "atheists", who claim to be outside all of that somehow by proxy of the atheistic assertion (a simple, tiny idea with huge implications) yet behave just like the people they rake through the muck.

So I admit I've been getting progressively more harsh, but I'm just stunned by the number of atheists who are, essentially, trying to sell me the wide-eyed hope-in-faith that religions pitch. I might make my usual complaints about reading skills in this topic, but I've learned that this is my fault. When I put things in boldface or italics, that's all that gets read. I must change my posting habits to accommodate the lazy.

I suppose it's a question of why one identifies one's atheism. Perhaps that should be the question. Woo-hoo, so you're an atheist. Why bother telling anyone?

And the thing is that with honest answers, there will be further issues to discuss that involve no hostility. It's just that people seem really really scared of being honest.

So all of that clarity of vision and perception and (expletive) is just another snow job. I mean, I can believe on faith that it's not, but isn't that a little religious?

In the end, the challenge is fairly simple, though apparently the reasons for the issue confuse many.

Can we agree, for instance, that certain religions tend to complicate life? That certain religions are detrimental to the human endeavor when viewed on a species- or planetary-scale? I am also willing to extend that to all religions, though this is a tenuous position if only for the fact that religion only requires "gods" because the people viewing them think so. There are myths that have nothing to do with magic or gods. There are behaviors that, excepting the lack of a god, meet the criteria for being a religion.

When pursuing a vein of "logic" or "reason", one eventually encounters a point at which a certain line must be drawn. And whether that line equals, "Because God says so," or, "Because that's just the way life is," it's all horsepucky and presumption.

How about a non-theistic example? When I was younger, and going through the beginnings of my revolutionary phase, one of my father's attempts to divert my philosophical growth involved an argument in which it boiled down to, "The people won't revolt until they're starving." I looked him in the eye and said, Why is anybody starving?

Now, there are a number of answers that he could have offered. One of the most effective would have been the simple statement that humans have not figured out how to distribute their resources so that nobody starves. While that answer would have been fair enough, by my father's moral paradigm recognition of that aspect required action, and he was not ready to take action. His actual response was shallow: "Why should I lower my standard of living just to raise someone else's?" (Well, Dad, if you want the honest truth, we own two houses, five boats, four cars, and your eldest son is at one of the most expensive schools he could get into. Maybe we can do without the cob-smoked turkeys that we throw away every Christmas? Maybe do without one of the three VCR's? Four people, four computers. Do we really need more? You don't wear eighty-dollar shirts from Nepal that you overpay for at Nordstrom's, so I'm pressed to understand what standard of living you're talking about.)

In other words, we both, despite our best intentions, were standing on utterly nothing. My father believed as a basic "fact of life" that he had the right to enjoy excess while others starved because he had worked for it, and owed no consideration to the fact that the only reason he could work for it was an accident of birth and geography. Can I prove that humans are entitled to anything resembling dignity? Frankly, no. Both my father and I were standing on presumptions.

And that is what I see going on here. At some point it becomes futile to perch atop a mountain of presumption because there's no place to put the windmills one might otherwise tilt against. As quaint as that phrase is, though, it's not effective: While one can attempt to stand on presumptions as ignorantly and long as they can, life has a way of getting around to knocking people down. With my father, for instance, his faith in commerce and Capitalism--nearly a religion in itself--finally betrayed him. His mountain of presumptions did exactly what they were supposed to, but this time he suffered the effects. Whatever else happened, by the time we get to the corporate scandals of the second Bush administration, the guy's apologizing to me for aspects of my childhood ... and that's just a little creepy.

And I'm overwhelmed in this topic at the failure of many people to recognize that they do, in fact, stand on presumptions. And some of those presumptions run deeply.

Look how some people are striving to whittle down the issues; that's frightening in and of itself.

Practically speaking, there are a couple of results I would be "happy" with: Either our Sciforums atheists get some substantial complaints about the people and ideas they bitch about or just deal with other, more important ideas, or else we can examine the substance of the present condition and perhaps find progress.

Why do I worry about religions and atheism? Well, religions touch the fundamental criteria that form the basis for human action. Sure one might choose "Democrat" or "Republican" based on whatever factors, but "Christian faith", for instance, goes deeper, and can compel one to choose Democrat or Republican, freedom or repression, peace or chaos, respect or fear.

And I freely admit that I'm one who thinks the world will be better off when the Abramic monotheisms are gone. But who here is going to be savage enough to propose "cleansing" or "purging"? That's not the point, though. Which of our atheists are really willing to kill and possibly die in a massive war if it meant they could put an end to Christianity (especially, as it seems the most popular target of ire)? In the end, it's a matter of educating people, of transmitting information and ideas.

So what those ideas are becomes vastly important. Cris mentioned, before I hijacked the topic, that atheism was a singular assertion and anything else was separate.

And now it is time to examine that anything else as it relates to the singular assertion.

And Crunchy Cat got really close, but it seems to be a matter of conditioning that caused a hairsbreadth miss. It's not directly a question of "What's in it for me?" That's the inherent question to any change in circumstances when one is self-aware.

Why is murder wrong?

This question seems to puzzle people, and even make them spiteful. In the end, as I generally declare that life in general is performance art if you're human, this is enough because it indicates that people are thinking.

But perhaps a simpler (yet more complex) examination is required.

- Given: That there are more theists than atheists
- Accepted That the process of concluding atheism for oneself is more complex than simply accepting religious dogma
- Given: That religion (aspect of theism) perpetuates itself more easily than atheism by proxy of numbers and simplicity of perpetuation

I would ask that we consider, please, the notion of Bob. Now, Bob can be refashioned for and by anyone who wants to give the idea some honest consideration, but let's start with a basic template. Bob is somewhat or somehow religious. It could be said that he spent much time wondering about the actual nature of God (e.g. which deity really is God) before it truly sinks in that there does not need to be any God in the structure. And here we might be giving Bob too much credit, because, while it took Masters' degrees and PhD's at a Jesuit school to put down atheistic questions, the best they could come up with was, "Well, humans are so incredible that they couldn't have come about without God's help." But something in particular strikes Bob one day, and he finally begins that conscious process that leads him to realize, "Hey, there is no God!"

Several things happen at once. Life abounds with opportunity (formerly called temptation) and joyous moments (formerly called sin). Perception of ideas sharpens. Gullibility wanes slightly, but slashes at the throat of innocence in retaliation; cynicism hardens over the scar. And most importantly, a critical element of judgment is suddenly missing. Regardless of the deity abandoned, the "fact" that there was a right and a wrong in this world and that's all there was to it evaporates in a puff of logic.

The story can go several different directions from there. For me, the critical point was that religions relied too much on themselves to establish their legitimacy (e.g. Jesus-Bible-God-Bible loop). The idea of people who thought logically and rationally seemed very attractive, as did what seemed a generally hopeful attitude for the newfound intellectual freedom. Naturally, I got hung up on the logic and reason and rational considerations.

When one first acknowledges that the deepest basis for judgment and action they can find is false, everything it touches suffers damage. While the moral structure can hold its place easily, it becomes a little like a pantomime rather quickly, and in the end it just doesn't suffice for those to whom their atheistic conclusion represented an opportunity for a logical pursuit of wisdom.

Eventually, Bob needs to reinforce his moral/ethical structure. We must remember that none of us exist in a vacuum, though I can't imagine what Helen Keller must have thought the first time she realized there were other people out there. Of course, there's the fly-on-the-brain idea ... if only we could know the true essence of what someone like Helen Keller made of the concept of "I". I mean, that's just trippy to think about, but I digress so I'll smoke more.

Okay ... so ... yeah. Um ... oh, right. Bob. Bob-bob-bob, Bob-bobbob-bob ...

So as Bob learns and grows in his newfound intellectual freedom, circumstances of social creatures cause him to reflect not only upon why right is right, but also why he thinks right is what he thinks is right. It's a whole new ballgame. This is where it gets ugly.

Because there is no objective anchor. There is no ultimate reality to be discovered. There is no peg upon which an atheist can hang the whole Universe and say, "This is, logically, the way things are."

However, before we get into that part, let's back up a few sentences: So as Bob learns and grows in his newfound intellectual freedom .... So if the garden grows, what blooms there? What is its seed? Whence comes this strange idea? And why does it seem morally/ethically "right"?

So ... while I concede that "Why is murder wrong?" is a mite abstract, let's take a look at a slightly easier (ha!) idea.

What is Bob going to do about his woman? Does he really love her just because she cooks and cleans and sleeps with him? Is that really his standard? How the hell did that come about? Is she really that annoying? And hel-looooo, baby. How are ye? That's right you don't see a ring on my finger ....

Where it was an easier call--it would be a sin to even countenance the idea of getting together with another woman--it is now a lot tougher, but since becoming an atheist, Bob has become utterly logical and reasonable, so he does ... what? Does the woman and gives her a fake phone number? Decline the opportunity because despite all else, he really does have a good thing going and a sudden inkling of how to make it better? Ditches the ball-and-chain? Carries out a series of affairs behind her back? Go bi? Spend a fortune on internet porn? Tell his woman to trust him, she'll like it this way?

And the actual course of action Bob chooses will be determined by the justifications Bob has developed for his ethical standard.

Does it occur to anybody around this point in the rant that it might be quite important to think about just what Bob has been using to develop his standard? I know atheists who are racist, or who believe in dime-a-dozen conspiracy theories, who believe in Alien Seed theory and even develop some notions of the moral implications thereof but will not be said to be religious ....

I knew an atheist once who believed in sorcery ....

Think of the amount of influence that a religion has over a person's development. Atheists, free of that shaping, haven't any necessary "one" major influence. Perhaps that's the expression I'm looking for. It doesn't seem like to much to ask to find out what influences our atheists' moral or ethical structures.

I look back to my initial post in this topic, perhaps I could have benefited from the word influences, but I'm still puzzled at the responses.

Technically, Siddhartha, there's not any real charge to answer. Mostly, what I would like to know, is how our atheists (as individuals, if they're capable of expressing that) form and maintain their ethical structures.

But I just can't bring myself to beg for it, you know?

Originally posted by Siddhartha
True, I concede my wording was a little misleading. I merely meant to say that "What's in it for me?" is not something that an atheist should really think. I'm not calling it a "forbidden question", I just don't see how it relates to the crux of the matter, namely the non-belief in a God/Gods.
I agree with you. People who ask WIIFM with regard to spirituality in atheism are missing the point. I suppose the only thing atheism in itself can offer is the freedom from organized theistic religion, which more than does the trick for me!

Are you kidding me? WHIFM is a HUGE factor concerning human
behavior. I am 100% confident that every person on the planet
has asked (either conciously or unconciously) 'What's in it for
me?'. Being an Atheist does not exlude one from this question.
One of Tiassa's points is that Atheism does not sell itself (beccause it doesn't address WHIFM) and thusly is doomed to
never be mainstream (as religions address WHIFM).
I agree with you as well. The atheist must, however, look elsewhere for the WIIFM. 'Within' is a good place to start. Hopefully more people will begin to realize this.

Mystech: Good show. I applaud. Really. (Ain't lyin'.)

As I see it, the problem is that you yourself do not understand the question, nor do you understand who you are asking.
Ooh. That has meaning. Really. So much meaning that I think I'll stuff myself with donut jelly until my ass explodes.
This question has absolutely no relevance to Atheism what so ever.
If you say so. We can take that on faith, right?

Did you ever take the aptitude tests in school? How did you score on the analogies and comparisons?
Atheism isn't a code of ethics, the answer to this question is NOT in atheism, and so asking this question of atheists is not going to get you the "atheist response."
If all atheists understand the issues as you apparently do, I can see how getting any real answers out of them would be problematic.
Seeing how as you seem very intent on knowing my personal reasons for believing that murder is wrong, then I'll tell you, just realize that the reason you've been getting no answers is because you've been asking "As an atheist, why do you feel murder is wrong" and to that, all that anyone can say is "As an atheist I don't feel that murder is wrong" because it is not atheism which dictates that it is immoral.
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Is that any (expletive) better?
Now for the moment that I can't understand why you've been waiting for
Well, the reason you can't understand it is that, regardless of your reasons why murder is wrong, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You're going about the question all wrong, and it's your own damn chip on the shoulder that's causing that.

Get the f--k over yourself and think for just a minute. Please? Consider:

- Regardless of why we think murder is wrong, that reason is still founded in presumption. Certainly the presumption is more subtle and swims in murkier waters than, say, the presumption of God's existence. But the reason and logic behind a rejection of God only goes so far. Because the foundations of the moral or ethical structure, regardless of whether or not one believes in God, are firmly ensconced in presumption.

Now: Do you understand the preceding paragraph? Yes, good, good. We can move on to more substantial issues. No? Well, I'll take your personal views that you've listed into account and promptly leave you to your comfortable little world.
Murder is wrong because it is ultimately the premature denial of all rights without so much as a hope of appeal.
For instance, this.

Rights?

Oh, come now. While I'm a huge fan of a person's rights, I'm well aware that "rights" is a tenuous convention, a presumption. Talk to the ants about rights. Talk to the bees. It's not that I necessarily disagree with your reason that murder is wrong, but I've long accepted that my own reasons are as subjective as anything else.

And that's really the whole point of asking why murder is wrong.
There, now that you?ve made me write down that awkward mess I hope you are happy, and will cease your moronic ad homonym. . . you stupid bitch .
There's that shining atheistic intellect! Woo-hoo!
If you have any more direct questions you'd like to ask, please consider first weather the question is within the scope of Atheism, or if it's simply looking for an example of how one comes to a decision about morals without the guiding help of dogma.
And if you have any more sticks to cram up your ass, please consider whether it is medically advisable to do so.

However, you've done an excellent job of establishing the scope of your comprehension. You're right. I didn't know who I was dealing with.

I thought you were smarter than that.

(Or, as Carl the Alien said: "Moo! Moo-moo.")

Re: Siddhartha

Mostly, what I would like to know, is how our atheists (as individuals, if they're capable of expressing that) form and maintain their ethical structures.
I think the ethic or reciprocity is a good place to start. There are always exceptions, however, and I suppose in these situations, they must use their best judgment given what they value.

tiassa:

Just a short note to say that I'll get back to this topic, though it may take a couple of days. I want to give a considered response.

Tiassa, stop wasting my time!

Mostly, what I would like to know, is how our atheists (as individuals, if they're capable of expressing that) form and maintain their ethical structures.
WTF has atheism got to do with forming & maintaining ethical structures.(What is an ethical structure?).
So without meaning to sound derogatory tiassa, what's your point?
Yeah! Whats the friggin point? I thought it was going to be about atheism? Not the meaningless drivel you've been spewing all over the place.
This question has absolutely no relevance to Atheism what so ever. Atheism isn't a code of ethics, the answer to this question is NOT in atheism, and so asking this question of atheists is not going to get you the "atheist response."
There, now that you’ve made me write down that awkward mess I hope you are happy, and will cease your moronic ad homonym. . . you stupid bitch.
I second that!
Now where's that ignore button, waste my friggin time.........:mad:

Whats this? Something different being discussed in the religion forum?

Well now I've seen everything...

This has to be easily the most interesting discussion I've seen in the religion forums. Tiassa, you are right to pull the atheists out on this issue. The subject you have raised troubles me also and I would consider myself an atheist of sorts.
Most "atheists" will ridicule and belittle religion while they don't realise they are living by it everyday. They keep what they like about religion without a second thought and scoff at what automatically seems absurd. They are right to scoff but If you are truely accepting atheism you now have to question everything.

Is murder wrong? Well honestly, after a bit of thought, I'm pretty sure it isn't. Nothing that can occur "shouldn't".
And I'm pretty sure love isn't magic. Its just a strong bond our instincts establish in hopes for greater success with our offspring.
Many people are strongly atheist but still speak of love as though it is of divine origin and of murder as though it is scientifically "wrong".
Well I would call you a "christo-atheist".

James R said it best on this subject except I doubt even he has completely cut himself loose from the religious teachings that have been heavily ingrained into all of society for thousands of years. Maybe he has, I guess I wouldn't know but its extraordinarily rare. Religious influence is difficult to escape.

Upon the realisation that I've been lyed to and that there being a god was actually a guess and not a known fact, I re-evaluated everything and started from scratch.
I figured that I would discover a god myself if there was such a thing. I gathered from my experience that human beings lie and don't really know what they are doing.
So I looked elsewhere for answers.

What other animals are there? hmmm .... well there is alot so I will just see if there is any code they all follow, surely that would be a good way to get a taste for what this planet is all about, if there is one "faulty apple" it won't take away from the big picture if every other apple is coloured basically the same.
And guess what, they are.
There is a "code" to live by, its so freaking obvious that its not funny.
Your instincts(Just like james R said;) )

But boy is it ever hard to find inctincts within yourself after they have been shat on by contradictory religious beliefs.
But I'm getting there. I've realised nothing I ever legitimately get the urge to do will be wrong. In fact it would be "wrong" to not do it. Very spiritually liberating realisation I might add, I recomend it.

I don't think a lion is "wrong" when it kills its rivals babies. Saying "humans know better" is cop out bullshit. I don't think we know better than anything. Infact, I think we are by far the most confused species on the planet. Religion is proof of this. The fact there is a word "atheism" that people live by is proof of it also. We yearn to be as sure about our existence as the other animals are. We almost despise them for it out of jealousy.
Not me though, because I'm there.

Back