The art of dying

Given the prospect of your imminent dying, what values would you hold as pertinent to determine the value of your living?
As long as I am happy there is no need to assess the "value" of my life.
And as long as I remain happy, and die happy, the rest can take care of itself.

As long as I am happy there is no need to assess the "value" of my life.
And as long as I remain happy, and die happy, the rest can take care of itself.

since our happiness is influenced by the happiness of others (others who are just as likely to die as us), difficulties arise

since our happiness is influenced by the happiness of others (others who are just as likely to die as us), difficulties arise
How so? What difficulties arise as a result of my happiness being influenced by the happiness of others?
Please explain your apparent odd comment so that I may actually understand what you are trying to state.
You state "difficulties arise" but can't be bothered to say what they might be, almost as though I should be a mind reader?
Please - if you respond to a comment - do so such that there is little doubt as to what you actually are trying to say.

What difficulties do you feel would arise?
Why do you consider them "difficulties"?
Why would these "difficulties" arise?

How so? What difficulties arise as a result of my happiness being influenced by the happiness of others?
Please explain your apparent odd comment so that I may actually understand what you are trying to state.
You state "difficulties arise" but can't be bothered to say what they might be, almost as though I should be a mind reader?
Please - if you respond to a comment - do so such that there is little doubt as to what you actually are trying to say.

What difficulties do you feel would arise?
Why do you consider them "difficulties"?
Why would these "difficulties" arise?
it would be difficult to indicate a substantial cause of happiness that one could experience outside of a social context of other persons.
(IOW I don't think eating chocolate rates high on the scale)

it would be difficult to indicate a substantial cause of happiness that one could experience outside of a social context of other persons.
(IOW I don't think eating chocolate rates high on the scale)
I agree that most causes of happiness, at least for me, are created in social contexts. But you have not yet explained how this means that "problems arise". THAT is the bit that to me does not follow, and as such makes your statement appear a non sequitor.

So I'll ask again...
What "problems" arise, in your view?
Why do you consider them to be "problems"?

I agree that most causes of happiness, at least for me, are created in social contexts. But you have not yet explained how this means that "problems arise". THAT is the bit that to me does not follow, and as such makes your statement appear a non sequitor.

So I'll ask again...
if you say that the value of your life is your happiness and your happiness is dependent on others - and - if others are not steadfast in their commitment to your social upkeep (either they leave you or their affection for you leaves them) then you have a ripe scenario for difficulties

if you say that the value of your life is your happiness and your happiness is dependent on others - and - if others are not steadfast in their commitment to your social upkeep (either they leave you or their affection for you leaves them) then you have a ripe scenario for difficulties
Again you are avoiding specifying what the nature of the problem actually is and why it would be a problem - as all you have actually done yet again is rephrase your previous comment that it is a "ripe scenario for difficulties".

So, once more...

They should contemplate how they will be remembered, and whether they have understood all that they have come to see. If they are content with their life, and have understood all that they've seen and witnessed, they are truly prepared.

I'd hate to die not knowing.. .:D

Well, my 2c worth is that any species that is essentially a group organism will always have groups that contend with each other.

We identify with groups, or we say we belong in some group, all the time.
Groups contend with each other for resources, ideas, you name it. I also think this is why some sort of global philosophy is a bit of a dream, too.

"the happiness of others" especially in the context of other groups, is only one kind of connection, but we're all playing a kind of poker game, right?

Again you are avoiding specifying what the nature of the problem actually is and why it would be a problem - as all you have actually done yet again is rephrase your previous comment that it is a "ripe scenario for difficulties".

So, once more...
i thought it was straight forward but I will try and say it again in clear language

My value of life depends on my happiness
My happiness depends on others committing to my social needs

Do you encounter irregularities or uncertainties in having others make a steady commitment to your social needs?
Does everyone you encounter in life co-operate with your plans on how they can make you happy in life?

i thought it was straight forward but I will try and say it again in clear language
It would be if you could just answer the question.

My value of life depends on my happiness
Who said this? Me? Not so. I said: "As long as I am happy there is no need to assess the "value" of my life." That is not the same as saying the "value" depends on "happiness".

My happiness depends on others committing to my social needs
Again - who has said this? Me? No.
My happiness is driven, in part, by the happiness of others - NOT them "committing to my social needs". See the difference? You do also realise that social interactions are 2-way?

Do you encounter irregularities or uncertainties in having others make a steady commitment to your social needs?
Does everyone you encounter in life co-operate with your plans on how they can make you happy in life?
This is thus irrelevant in answering the questions I have asked.

So let's start again.

I have said this:
"As long as I am happy there is no need to assess the "value" of my life.
And as long as I remain happy, and die happy, the rest can take care of itself."

You replied:
"since our happiness is influenced by the happiness of others (others who are just as likely to die as us), difficulties arise"

I have asked, and now ask for the 4th time:

So far all you have done is rephrased your initial reply, as if this somehow answers the question:
Response 1: "since our happiness is influenced by the happiness of others (others who are just as likely to die as us), difficulties arise"
Response 2: "it would be difficult to indicate a substantial cause of happiness that one could experience outside of a social context of other persons.
(IOW I don't think eating chocolate rates high on the scale)"
Response 3: "if you say that the value of your life is your happiness and your happiness is dependent on others - and - if others are not steadfast in their commitment to your social upkeep (either they leave you or their affection for you leaves them) then you have a ripe scenario for difficulties"

So, let me explain how it works...
I ask a question... you reply - preferably NOT in the form of another question that you assume somehow answers the question asked of you (which they don't - as you clearly have missed any semblance of understanding).

Let me ask again in easier-to-understand terms...
Why does the fact that my happiness depends upon social interactions mean that problems will arise? Is it not possible, through those (2-way) interactions, that I also have a means of controlling the output (to a degree) by controlling the input (to a degree): if I upset someone I expect them to be angry / miffed - which will impact my happiness. So I try not to upset. They are happy - and as a result they are kinder to me - so I am happy. Understand?

I am also curious as to your thought process that assumes that being dependent, in part, on social interaction for happiness must be a one-way relationship - as though standing on the corner demanding that people make you happy.
Care to elaborate on your thought-processes in this regard?

It would be if you could just answer the question.

Who said this? Me? Not so. I said: "As long as I am happy there is no need to assess the "value" of my life." That is not the same as saying the "value" depends on "happiness".
T/F?

If you were not happy there would be no need to assess the value of your life?

???

If you don't know how much you weigh, but your willingness to get on the scales is dependent upon your happiness, do you really think your weight is dependent upon happiness?
T/F = True/False

It helps elicit a clear response to questions that are likely to draw rambling replies.

???

If you don't know how much you weigh, but your willingness to get on the scales is dependent upon your happiness, do you really think your weight is dependent upon happiness?

I'd say yes. That is because how you look also affects the way you feel. ;)

Back