Tesla's Occult Ether Physics

EndLightEnd

This too shall pass.
Registered Senior Member
Occult Ether Physics

Read the whole thing, and let me know what you think.

I like this theory because it explains magnetism and its field in a simple way (something modern physics has yet to do) and suggests that all space is filled with a "super fine ultra dense 'liquid' ether" instead of an empty vacuum as in relativity.

While the politics in the book suggest some form of govermental conspiracy, ignore this and instead focus on the science and theory presented. I found it quite compelling and has lists research done by other giants in electricity and magnetism (faraday, maxwell) supporting these ideas.

What's your view of this liquid? Does it admit a current, or is it a superfluid, or what's the story?

There are numerous problems with this article which suggest the author has a poor grasp of the physics they're trying to debunk.

The proponents of Relativism and the Big Bang (the “Big Bangers”) want you to believe that the universe is finite, so that, if you go “too far”, you will “fall off the universe”, rather than off a “flat earth”. What’s the difference? Flat earth... finite universe... they’re both dumb theories.

Firstly, the "Big Bangers" never said the universe is finite. The earliest models and even present models suggest the universe may well in fact be infinite, possibly containing an infinite number of stars and planets too. Secondly, if the universe is indeed finite, then if you were to keep travelling in a single direction, you wouldn't fall off the edge; either you'll end up back where you started like when you sail around the Earth, or else the universe will expand at lightspeed/faster so you can never even contemplate reaching this "edge". Why would someone like the author of the article bother to try tackling relativity before they've even learned it? How can scientists be accused of a conspiracy when the author doesn't even know the substance of the supposed conspiracy?

Now here's another silly quote:

Since this book is for the greatly uninformed public, as well as for the researcher, I will make an effort to couch it in layman’s terms—for I am myself a layman—and will provide some illustrations where helpful, to give a reasonable grasp of my concepts, rather than a “quantum mechanical” mathematical orgy, which is usually combined with pages of dull equations and numbers which proceed logically from the contradictory and unproven illogical premises which are so prized by that ilk. It is as if to say, “Hey! Look at me Ma, I can do lots of math!” “Ether Physics”, by its very nature and name, is subatomic physics, which to me means “sub-protonic” and “sub-electronic”.

Sounds just like the typical uneducated crank, making excuses for not having to learn about the established science they're trying to debunk. This is precisely the reason cranks usually think they can disprove a theory, because they don't even understand the theory or what it is they're actually trying to disprove. The author of this quote is effectively boasting to the reader, "Look ma! I can disprove relativity without using my brain!" I would dispute the part about disproving relativity, but I concur 100% with the author's assertions that he wasn't using his noodle when he came up with this idea.

Now's a good time to discuss the Michelson-Morley experiment. Because of stellar aberration, which has been known for 300 years, we know that if there was an ether, it couldn't be dragging along with the Earth- the Earth must be moving relative to such an ether. Yet if the Earth were moving with respect to an ether responsible for carrying light, such motion would be detectable in the Michelson-Morley experiment. Michelson and Morley were unhappy with their results and spent decades refining and repeating their measurements, but not once did they ever detect evidence for an ether, and given the known motions of the Earth in orbit around the sun, and the known amounts of stellar aberration, the experiment should have easily been able to detect this motion relative to the ether. Conclusion: the ether, as imagined by Faraday and co., doesn't exist.

Now the author would probably argue in response that I'm just supporting the scientific conspiracy to hide the "truth". Well, let's pick another quote from early in the book:

Since the “accessing” electropulsive force, when in effect, is transmitted at near the velocity of light however, the comparative difference in velocity between the Omni and the earth is almost insignificant It is practically “as if the earth is stationary relative to the ether, except for the effects of so-called gravity. To an effect which travels at 186,000 miles per second, a body traveling at about 20 miles per second is virtually “at rest”.

This is yet another false assertion from an author who clearly, and admittedly doesn't know what they're talking about. A difference of 20 miles per second is easily measurable today and was even measurable in the 19th century. We wouldn't notice it with our eyes on a daily basis as human beings, but one can't expect laymen like the author of this book to understand just how precise the experiments were that measured these things.

As far as the Michelson-Morley experiment goes, heres a direct quote from the article you linked.

"Although this small “velocity” was measured, it was considered far too small to be used as evidence of aether, and it was later said to be within the range of an experimental error that would allow the speed to actually be zero."

They did measure something, but they disregarded it at a LATER date as experimental error. They probably didnt even know what to test for.

Does anyone know if anyone else has done a similar experiment?

As far as the Michelson-Morley experiment goes, heres a direct quote from the article you linked.

"Although this small “velocity” was measured, it was considered far too small to be used as evidence of aether, and it was later said to be within the range of an experimental error that would allow the speed to actually be zero."

They did measure something, but they disregarded it at a LATER date as experimental error. They probably didnt even know what to test for.

Experimental error is determined by analyzing and constraining the uncertainties in various measurements. If I'm using a ruler to measure the distance between interference minima, my precision is limited by the precision of my ruler, so that's one example of experimental error. Any measurement I then make using those interference minima is itself limited in precision by the limitations on my ruler. It's a rule in science that you can't ignore data unless you provide a very good reason for doing so. You can't do an experiment without accounting for all the possible sources of error and the magnitudes of the resulting errors; there's no such thing as a 100% precise experiment with perfect results. Michelson wasn't an ignoramus; he had a very good idea what he was testing for, and he designed his apparatus very carefully to be able to test for it.

Does anyone know if anyone else has done a similar experiment?

Yes, Michelson repeated and refined his experiments dozens of times over a period of decades. As far as other people repeating the experiments- what do you think happens when someone makes an extraordinary claim and reveals the details of their experiment? You think everyone just nods their heads and says "ok, I guess everything we thought we knew about light was totally wrong. Better start all over from scratch 'cuz Michelson says so"?

Even still these experiments do not rule out the existence of an ether completely.

Do you have any other major concerns? Did you get to the part where it explains magnetism? If so what are your thoughts?

Even still these experiments do not rule out the existence of an ether completely.

With regards to ether as a physical substance occupying space, responsible for conducting electric and magnetic forces, in what sense do the Michelson-Morley experiments fail to disprove this?

Do you have any other major concerns? Did you get to the part where it explains magnetism? If so what are your thoughts?

No, I tried to skim through it but couldn't see any topic heading saying "magnetism explained". Unless this explanation can be used to derive the mathematical Biot-Savart force law as a classical approximation, I don't think there's any reason to call it an "explanation".

something modern physics has yet to do

Umm...source? Do you know anything about modern physics and magnetism, or are you just going by what other people tell you?

There is no explanation for a magnetic field. We know how it acts, but the 'particle' or whatever you want to call it which transmits the field has yet to be found. Am I wrong on this?

If so please tell me. Also explain to me physical actions operating behind permanent magnetism. Apparently I am not getting a full education.

There is no title labeled magnetism. But if you actually read the whole thing you can see how it is easily applied. I would only explain it poorly so I suggest reading the whole thing.

There is no explanation for a magnetic field. We know how it acts, but the 'particle' or whatever you want to call it which transmits the field has yet to be found. Am I wrong on this?

If so please tell me. Also explain to me physical actions operating behind permanent magnetism. Apparently I am not getting a full education.

There is no title labeled magnetism. But if you actually read the whole thing you can see how it is easily applied. I would only explain it poorly so I suggest reading the whole thing.

I can't read the whole thing, it's too long on speculation and conspiracies, and too short on actual scientific substance. Magnetism as I understand it has been explained in terms of fundamental particles, but you can always push it back to a level where something or other is unexplained, and is taken as an axiomatic law. However, that's besides the point; we know how magnetism behaves, we know it follows the Biot-Savart law for static currents and Ampere's law in general. Any attempted explanation for magnetism has to mathematically reduce down to these laws when applied to classical situations. If it doesn't have this mathematical property, then the force it "explains" isn't magnetism. If you can point me to a mathematical derivation in the paper you mention, then please cite the page no.

Anything by that author is highly suspect: he's not exactly connected to reality...
Pure drivel.

Last edited:
However, that's besides the point;

No not really. To me understanding HOW it works is much more important to understanding THE REALITY OF NATURE then merely describing its effects.
This is the reason I hate dark matter. Instead of were stupid with an incomplete theory, its 90% of mass is missing. =/

And your right, there are no equations in the book because like the title suggests, its occult (hidden).

Im a little shocked how quickly people started knocking this. This books ideas do not reflect the views of the author, but rather Tesla himself. And if you know anything about tesla you know he was a genius.

I dont agree with some of the stuff in the book either but at least I can read it with an open mind and not regurgitate predispositioned judgments. To say this is wrong ABSOLUTELY is to say you know what is right ABSOLUTELY. And no one can make that claim my friend besides God himself if he exists.

Last edited:
No not really. To me understanding HOW it works is much more important to understanding THE REALITY OF NATURE then merely describing its effects.
This is the reason I hate dark matter. Instead of were stupid with an incomplete theory, its 90% of mass is missing. =/

And your right, there are no equations in the book because like the title suggests, its occult (hidden).

Obviously modern physics has some huge gaps to fill when it comes to our understanding of physics- no serious physicist I have ever come across denies this. The thing to consider, however, is that the number of things modern physics as we know it successfully explains is nothing short of astounding. And when we say that modern physics explains something, we mean that modern physics uses a small set of basic principles in order to derive the behaviour of that something and to accurately describe it bang on, to within a very high degree of experimental precision.

So if, say, you had a theory in which rubbing blades of grass together was the fundamental cause of gravity, then you had better be able to predict how much force is produced by a specific amount of rubbing, and how various objects will move when exposed to that force. If your model describes things more accurately than Newton, and accurately describes the planetary orbits and everything else associated with gravity, only then can you say you came up with an explanation for gravity.

To say "oh there's this ether, and when you move through it you get these magnetic forces" doesn't explain anything whatsoever. We need quantities here; Ampere's law (which reduces to the Biot-Savart law for static currents) is the way magnetic fields behave on macroscopic scales, so if some supposed "explanation" for magnetism failed to describe precisely this sort of behaviour on macroscopic scales, then it's not describing magnetism, end of story.

Im a little shocked how quickly people started knocking this. This books ideas do not reflect the views of the author, but rather Tesla himself. And if you know anything about tesla you know he was a genius.

Tesla was a genius and did many great things; he was also a madman whose best friends in his final years were the pidgeons in his attic. Besides, Einstein was a genius too, and Einstein would have ripped the author of the OP article a new bumhole. We don't believe or disbelieve in something because the person who invented it was or wasn't a "genius", we go by experiment. Tesla made AC power practical, we can easily see this demonstrated on a daily basis, and we respect it. Flying spacecraft capable of sending people to Mars on 1930's technology? That has in no way been demonstrated, so there's no reason for the scientific community to buy into it, no matter where the claim originally came from.

I dont agree with some of the stuff in the book either but at least I can read it with an open mind and not regurgitate predispositioned judgments. To say this is wrong ABSOLUTELY is to say you know what is right ABSOLUTELY. And no one can make that claim my friend besides God himself if he exists.

Well, the problem is that the article doesn't really say anything at all. If the author feels science as we know it is a big conspiracy, then let them show us how they can mathematically derive all the known, experimentally verified laws and phenomena from simpler principles than what we've been working with. I would think that's hard to do, given that the ether as the author envisions it was already disproven almost a century ago, and continues to be disproven in repeats of the original experiments. Show me how the Michelson-Morley experiment fails to do this if you disagree, since you didn't back up this assertion last time.

Show me how the Michelson-Morley experiment fails to do this if you disagree, since you didn't back up this assertion last time.

My point is no experiment is perfect. Experiments are wrongly executed and return faulty results on a regular basis. Furthermore the reason the experiment failed was probably due to incomplete theory of the ether, ie he didnt know what to look for. It may behave in ways beyond our understanding for all we know.

And he explains permanent magnetism as the "ether" within the object being polarized so to speak which extends its field into the surrounding ether.
So a magnetic field is transmitted by the ether itself, not some exotic particle yet to be found. (And I doubt CERN will find it either)

And sorry, but calling Tesla crazy just shows how little you actually know about his life. He was eccentric yes, but not crazy. That is just part of the disinformation campaign to hide his world changing discoveries. Im aware this book offers no concrete PROOF, but merely serves to open up your worldview of a universe that is VERY different that what ANYONE thinks it is.

And please dont talk to me like Im stupid, Im in my senior year studying astrophysics. But it seems I rely a bit more on intuition that you do, which isnt a bad thing but definitely gives me an advantage on being open minded.

And sorry, but calling Tesla crazy just shows how little you actually know about his life. He was eccentric yes, but not crazy. That is just part of the disinformation campaign to hide his world changing discoveries.

Ha! You had best do a little more studying up on Tesla! Yes, he was brilliant during the first part of his life - but that intelligence was limited to a very narrow field. In his later years, as he attempted to apply what he thought he knew about electricity to other areas, he became a certified nut that no one wanted to be around.

"Disinformation campaign"???!!!??? You MUST be one of those paranoid delusionals also - the ones that think all of the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of professional scientists in the world are conspiring together to keep the REAL scientific information hidden from the rest of us. The "truth" that Tesla and others "discovered."

WOW - what a woo-woo!!!!!!:bugeye:

And yet it is not me resorting to the child like antics.

Do some research on Westinghouse and youll find he was basically extorted for his inventions.

Man I feel like an atheist posting in a religious forum here, lol.

Back