teachers...are greedy!!

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
my children are being effected by the teachers strike on thursday, and i think its a joke, teachers (fully qualified teachers) are on a lot of money, they dont work during the summer holidays, 9well, apart from the last 2 days of the holidays) they get half term, easter holidays, witsun holidays, why do they want more money "because they are greedy"

here is what i read this 10 minutes ago:

THOUSANDS of lessons will be cancelled and at least 100 schools in Wales closed on Thursday as teachers take part in their first national strike in 21 years.

The National Union of Teachers is organising the walk-out in a dispute over pay.

However, members of the union are far from united on the issue and many of the 16,500 Welsh members are considering not taking part in the industrial action and instead taking lessons as usual.

Around 200,000 ballot papers were issued but fewer than 65,000 members voted. Of those 48,217 voted in favour of strike.

In many local education authorities teachers have until today to inform their headteachers of their intention to strike. However, it already appears that at least 100 schools will be closed and dozens more will have to cancel classes.

The union is striking over a 2.45% pay offer from the Government for teachers in England and Wales this year, with further rises of 2.3% in 2009 and 2010.

Officials say it is below the rate of retail price inflation, which stands at around 4%.

Other teaching unions accepted the deal which was based on an independent recommendation.

The Association of School and College Leaders called it a “good deal for teachers in the current climate.”

Cardiff, the largest local education authority, will be the hardest hit with more than 60 schools forced to close.

In Rhondda Cynon Taf more than 40 schools are to close and more than 10 will only be partially open. In Newport a further 40 schools will be affected. In Pembrokeshire one secondary school, Ysgol Dewi Sant, will close while classes at many primary schools will be disrupted. Around 190 NUT teachers will be taking strike action in schools in Merthyr Tydfil.

Headteachers make the final decision on whether a school should close based on staffing levels and the health and safety implications. Teachers who are not members of the NUT are expected to attend work as usual.

A spokeswoman for Cardiff council said: “Staff not in the trade union taking action should continue to carry out their normal duties and responsibilities. Such staff must report for work as usual on the strike day. If those staff do not report for work, they are deemed to be taking (unofficial) strike action and appropriate pay deductions will be made. In circumstances where headteachers have decided a school is closed then it will be closed to pupils and other staff will be expected to report for work as normal.”

But one NUT Cymru member from a Newport secondary school, who did not want to be named, was opposed to strike action. “I don’t believe this is the right thing to do. I have really thought about it. I did not vote for the strike and I don’t think I will be taking part. Many of my colleagues feel the same.”

However Christine Blower, acting general secretary of the NUT, is confident that the strike has widespread support and will have an impact in schools across England and Wales adding: “We don’t expect any schools to be unaffected.”

Other teaching unions are reporting a rise in applications for membership since the result of the ballot was published.

The Association of Teachers and Lecturers said membership applications has trebled since the strike was confirmed. And NASUWT Cymru said it had also experienced a rise in applications.

Senior Wales official Rex Phillips said: “We have definitely experienced a rise in applications for membership since the results of the ballot were published.”

Children’s Secretary Ed Balls said: “I’m disappointed at what the NUT is doing, although my disappointment will be shared and multiplied by parents, teachers and headteachers across the country. Teachers are professionals, they have come into teaching because they want the best for children.

“The independent review body made its recommendation, I accepted their recommendation in full.

“Only one in four voted for this strike action; I think the large majority of teachers will think this is the wrong thing to do.”

Among those parents concerned about the strike is Leanne Hancock, a 36-year-old mother of two from Barry.

She fears she will have no choice but to ask relatives to act as carers for her nine-year-old son Kallum and 11-year-old daughter Aimee.

“My work hours are tailored around getting my kids to and from school, so without my mum to help out I’d have to use up some of my annual leave and stay home she said.”

The proposed teachers’ strike will be the first since 1987, when thousands of children across Wales were sent home from schools.

That industrial action, which took place on the morning of March 17, was in protest at Education Secretary Kenneth Baker’s decision to impose a national pay agreement, and the abolition of the Burnham Committee – the body set up to handle teachers’ negotiations.

Some schools closed entirely, with unions claiming that between 80 and 90% of classes would be cancelled.

Many schools likely to be affected

There are around 16,500 members of the National Union of Teachers in schools in Wales.

It is not yet known how many of the members of the union will be involved in Thursday’s strike. However, nursery, infant, primary, secondary, special schools and Welsh-medium schools will all be affected.

While there are members of the NUT in independent schools, the union does not expect any independent schools in Wales to be affected by the strike.

Headteachers are writing to parents to inform them of the school closures while many local education authorities are hoping to post a list of schools affected on their websites.

---------------------------------

my children are being effected by the teachers strike on thursday, and i think its a joke, teachers (fully qualified teachers) are on a lot of money, they dont work during the summer holidays, 9well, apart from the last 2 days of the holidays) they get half term, easter holidays, witsun holidays, why do they want more money "because they are greedy"
Imagine having to care for and educate a roomful of children just like your kids on a daily basis.. all day.. for 5 days a week.

You shouldn't complain about how much they are asking for. They are the ones who are in charge of your children's education. How much do you think the person educating your children should be paid? And would you rather they be happy in what they do? Or unhappy and unsatisfied? How do you think the latter would affect your children's education?

LA your wrong actually. My mother is a teacher and works late into the night and early morning and straight through EVERY school holiday and doesnt get paid for ANY of that work. She earns around $45 000 a year compared to my father who works as a DBA and who earns at least 100 000 plus a year AND gets holidays where he doesnt have to work AND gets paid extra for his overtime. Actually he says that mum earns his tax bill every year. So no teachers arnt greedy, i would much rather see doctors, teachers, nurses, police and emergency services earning ALOT more than some company executive getting paid over one million a year thats for sure

Imagine having to care for and educate a roomful of children just like your kids on a daily basis.. all day.. for 5 days a week. You shouldn't complain about how much they are asking for. They are the ones who are in charge of your children's education. How much do you think the person educating your children should be paid? And would you rather they be happy in what they do? Or unhappy and unsatisfied? How do you think the latter would affect your children's education?

they chose to do the job, teacher are always moaning and grumbling about somthing, if its not money, its hours, if its not hours or money it the children,

a newly qualified teacher can earn:

Hays Education Birmingham offer NQT's immediate temporary and permanent relocation packages for qualified teachers looking for guaranteed wages, either supply teaching or in school placements. Birmingham is the UK's second largest city and has the LARGEST education authority in the country. As a market leading agency, Hays are able to guarantee supply work or a placement every day. If we can't find a school for you we will pay you anyway! Hays Education is the leading education recruitment company in the Midlands and boasts the largest pool of NQT’s, many of who are currently completing their induction in our large network primary schools in Birmingham. We organise city centre apartments (often in the popular and characterful Jewellery Quarter) for relocating teachers from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland every term of each academic year. Our teachers use the excellent West Midlands bus service to commute to local schools, between 5 and 15 minutes from home. There is no catch with this offer! Please call for further information or respond to this advert with your CV and we will get in touch with you. Remember: City centre apartments organised for Hays teachers. Pay guaranteed between £105 and £145 per day (new scale). Professional development available through Hays. Positions are permanent or temporary, as preferred. NQT induction available on F.T placements.

-----------------------------------

and besides why should they get more money when the standard of teaching is dropping fast?

they chose to do the job, teacher are always moaning and grumbling about somthing, if its not money, its hours, if its not hours or money it the children,

Yes they choose to become teachers. And?

Are you saying that they should not be paid appropriately for the work that they do? You seem to think that teachers do not do any work outside of work hours. Yet each time they give children tests, homework, assignments, they end up having to grade and mark those papers at home, in their own time. Half their holidays are usually spent drawing up lesson plans for the next term (or year).

Let me put it to you this way. Teachers are constantly abused, verbally and sometimes physically, by the students and even by some parents. My husband's best friend is a school teacher and one student even tried to stab him in the stomach with a pen once. And this kid was only 8. To be honest, he considers his pay to be 'ok', but after hearing some of the horror stories he tells of what his students and their parents are like, I personally think his and every other teacher's pay should be double what it currently is.

And considering what they have to put up with on a daily basis, I'm surprised they aren't complaining any more than they are at the moment. You're right, they did choose to do the work. And for one day, they are choosing not to do it. I guess you'll just have your kids home for one day. When that day is over, just think of the poor souls who get to look after and educate not just your kids, but a roomful of them every day. So next time you complain about their demands for a pay rise, remind yourself of what they have to put up with on a daily basis and what would happen if they all decided to stop and if others started choosing to go into another profession.

I think teachers are great and underpaid. and I go to a PUBLIC school. Here in Aus, Public really hates private. thats why they get the shittier teachers.

Teachers usually aren't the greedy ones, sure, there are a few odd apples. But teachers aren't as a whole greedy. They're doing what any other worker's union would do.

I think teachers are great and underpaid. ...

I know they are here as well. They are asked to do more with less. And it seems every week there is a story of another teacher assaulted by a student. I know it happened to a teacher of my son's. Things go wrong at school, who always gets the blame right away. The teacher. People send monsters they can't control to school and then blame the teacher

Hell, I wonder what LA thinks of corporate executives shuffling around in Lear Jets and wearing Gucci.

Yes they choose to become teachers. And?

Are you saying that they should not be paid appropriately for the work that they do? You seem to think that teachers do not do any work outside of work hours. Yet each time they give children tests, homework, assignments, they end up having to grade and mark those papers at home, in their own time. Half their holidays are usually spent drawing up lesson plans for the next term (or year).

Let me put it to you this way. Teachers are constantly abused, verbally and sometimes physically, by the students and even by some parents. My husband's best friend is a school teacher and one student even tried to stab him in the stomach with a pen once. And this kid was only 8. To be honest, he considers his pay to be 'ok', but after hearing some of the horror stories he tells of what his students and their parents are like, I personally think his and every other teacher's pay should be double what it currently is.

And considering what they have to put up with on a daily basis, I'm surprised they aren't complaining any more than they are at the moment. You're right, they did choose to do the work. And for one day, they are choosing not to do it. I guess you'll just have your kids home for one day. When that day is over, just think of the poor souls who get to look after and educate not just your kids, but a roomful of them every day. So next time you complain about their demands for a pay rise, remind yourself of what they have to put up with on a daily basis and what would happen if they all decided to stop and if others started choosing to go into another profession.

but the teachers are failing the children, they are poor at they're jobs (in blackpool they are anyway) and why shoudl they get extra money for not doing what they are suppose to do properly?

this year at my sons school the pass rate for exams was just 45%, and they were celebrating that mark, so no they dont deserve a pay rise

they are on enough money!:

Teachers’ pay has increased by 19 per cent in real terms since 1997. An experienced teacher in England and Wales at the top of the pay scale in 1997 received £21,318. Today they would be on £34,281. But the NUT argues that with the retail price index running at 3.8 per cent, the 2.45 per cent settlement for next year represents a pay cut.

They should have TV cameras in the school rooms to tape what goes on inside them.

Teachers should be tested as well to insure they are up to date on the newest ways of teaching stuff.

Teachers shouldn't get automatic raises unless they show they deserve it with the tests as well as other things to take into consideration. Many teachers just slide through the day not doing much in the way of teaching but just talking instead. Those that really show the good qualities of a teacher should get raises and the others get less. I don't like it when I do twice as much work as the next person but they make as much as me! :)

I know they are here as well. They are asked to do more with less. And it seems every week there is a story of another teacher assaulted by a student. I know it happened to a teacher of my son's. Things go wrong at school, who always gets the blame right away. The teacher. People send monsters they can't control to school and then blame the teacher

Yeah, But teachers often turn the bad apples into good ones. I personally know people who were complete tuls in the begining, but for some reason, they turned out better..

but the teachers are failing the children, they are poor at they're jobs (in blackpool they are anyway) and why shoudl they get extra money for not doing what they are suppose to do properly?

this year at my sons school the pass rate for exams was just 45%, and they were celebrating that mark, so no they dont deserve a pay rise

So it's the teachers fault if the kids don't pass their exams? Tell me, do those kids study? If your kid fails a class, would you automatically blame the teacher?

This is what I don't understand. You attack them for not doing their job properly, but you don't even consider the role of the students and the parents in whether the children pass or not. So please tell me, what exactly are they meant to do properly? Simply let the kids slide with passing grades? Or actually grade the kids on their performance in class (through tests, exams and assignments)?

you are part of the reason that it is increasingly difficult for teachers to do their job.a while back if there was a problem between a teacher and a student, the parent would invariably take the teachers' side.whilst the student may not have always been at fault it did instill discipline into the children!a feeling that a teacher was someone with authority who should be respected.
not now,parents like you are more than willing to blame teachers for poor exam results when...well,what kind of area is your sons' school in?
would you say that parents in that area take an active interest in the educational process?
imagine getting up in the morning ready to face 5-6 classes of 30 obnoxious teenagers who have the impression that you are just an idiot in a suit?!then imagine trying to control them and make them concentrate for 50 minutes.then imagine trying to make them learn something (which they are often not interested in).
teaching is a very difficult job,constant pressure.

Teachers should be tested as well to insure they are up to date on the newest ways of teaching stuff.

Teachers shouldn't get automatic raises unless they show they deserve it with the tests as well as other things to take into consideration. Many teachers just slide through the day not doing much in the way of teaching but just talking instead. Those that really show the good qualities of a teacher should get raises and the others get less. I don't like it when I do twice as much work as the next person but they make as much as me! :)

this already happens.

you are part of the reason that it is increasingly difficult for teachers to do their job.a while back if there was a problem between a teacher and a student, the parent would invariably take the teachers' side.whilst the student may not have always been at fault it did instill discipline into the children!a feeling that a teacher was someone with authority who should be respected.
not now,parents like you are more than willing to blame teachers for poor exam results when...well,what kind of area is your sons' school in?
would you say that parents in that area take an active interest in the educational process?
imagine getting up in the morning ready to face 5-6 classes of 30 obnoxious teenagers who have the impression that you are just an idiot in a suit?!then imagine trying to control them and make them concentrate for 50 minutes.then imagine trying to make them learn something (which they are often not interested in).
teaching is a very difficult job,constant pressure.

this already happens.

oh my heart bleeds, yes it is partly because the teachers suck that kids dont pass exams, there are of course good teachers but in my expierence teachers mostly suck at they're jobs! they talk down to the kids and they dont really care!

my daughter studies all the time, and she is grade A student, someone on the other lvl like my odler son who needed extra help with his studies got nothing!

oh my heart bleeds, yes it is partly because the teachers suck that kids dont pass exams, there are of course good teachers but in my expierence teachers mostly suck at they're jobs! they talk down to the kids and they dont really care!

my daughter studies all the time, and she is grade A student, someone on the other lvl like my odler son who needed extra help with his studies got nothing!

:bugeye: so.......did you help your son with his studies?

can you give some examples of how teachers suck at THEIR jobs?
this may be completely true but then dont you think that the best way to attract good teachers is to....:eek:.....pay them more?!

:bugeye: so.......did you help your son with his studies?
can you give some examples of how teachers suck at THEIR jobs?
this may be completely true but then dont you think that the best way to attract good teachers is to....:eek:.....pay them more?!

of course we did has best as we could, but we're not teachers!

example, right one thing that happened to my son, my son has ACD/ADHD and tourretes and they will not allow him at school full time because the teachers cannot cope with him, they pass work on to him through his sister and if anything is wrong they take about 7 days to get back to him, he has no face to face contact with a teacher, (apart from the 8 hours a week he is at school), he is suffering because he iis at home all the time, they will not consider putting him into a school for children with his difficulties (like they are suppose to do) because they say that he is ok at home, but he's not he is suffering and so is his studies! he is no worries at school for some teachers just the ones who can't be assed with the extra work!

of course we did has best as we could, but we're not teachers!

example, right one thing that happened to my son, my son has ACD/ADHD and tourretes and they will not allow him at school full time because the teachers cannot cope with him, they pass work on to him through his sister and if anything is wrong they take about 7 days to get back to him, he has no face to face contact with a teacher, (apart from the 8 hours a week he is at school), he is suffering because he iis at home all the time, they will not consider putting him into a school for children with his difficulties (like they are suppose to do) because they say that he is ok at home, but he's not he is suffering and so is his studies! he is no worries at school for some teachers just the ones who can't be assed with the extra work!

ok.
how would the other 29 kids be affected if the teacher had to modify lessons to cater to your son?if the teacher had to stop lessons to deal with his tourettes.?
im sure there are many private schools you could send your son to that would cope with his needs.you could even get private tutors.

LA. Get a Tutor. Someone whose taught before. Observe their behaviour, and then observe a schoolteacher in her natural environment.

Back