Strange creatures

invert_nexus said:
The platypus isn't a fish. The hallucigenia isn't a fish. Don't think a sea-horse is a fish either. Could be wrong on that one though.
Yes I know all that. I didn't mean it literally (for once :D)

Fish are weird, though. But, you bring up a good point. Perhaps everyone thinks fish because the first example was a fish. Or actually, is a stingray a fish? Aquatic anyway.

This is the point I was trying to bring up. Fish seem to include the strangest creatures on earth! I think its because of our unfamiliarity with the deep sea.

I'd agree with the above. We are all very unfamiliar with the deep ocean since we have a difficult time reaching down to the benthic zones due to high pressure.

Forget the anglers. I now nominate the deep sea tubeworm.

I see an extremely freaky creature when I stare in the mirror. Does that count???

Most people have mentioned the ones I was thinking of (Platypus and Seahorse). But I think that the centipede is also rather weird, and the sea cucumber, when it flops it's stomach onto its food.

I nominate that elusive bird, the snipe. Despite being sent on many, many hunts for this creature as a little girl by my much wiser older brothers, I have yet to find one.

(offstage whispering, papers rustling, muffled laughter)

What? You mean they...son of a - !

:p

Last edited:
Hmm, I would also stick with fishes, they are just weird, at least for us, because they live under very different circumstances and have evolved accordingly.

How about this little viper fishy:

viper.jpg

somehow reminds me of "Aliens"

Or insects, they are pretty weird:

213insects-6.jpg

now let´s play search the insect :D

That fish looks like a derivative of the Piranha ... just by looking at it's teeth, that is. Though what makes it stand out is that wierd elongated looking thing below its jaw ... whatever that is.

And yes, insects are also wierd (like what Dreamwalker posted above) ... but not as wierd as most species of marine life. :bugeye:

Back