Strange Bug Identity

Water:

Ha! I love that.

Roman:

They are even smaller here in NY. Hardly over an inch and a half at largest, sometimes as small as a quarter of one.

I've recently found another one. This one I caught in a jam jar. Got some very detailed up-close pictures with my dig video cam.

Indeed, it is a house centipede with 15 pairs of legs. This one is going to be luckier than the other, as I'm going to throw him out in the bush wilderness behind my backyard. Hopefully he'll get the message and not come back.

-Lamoni

water said:
[metaobservation]

This thread, these pictures ... uh.
I think I now understand why people start believing in UFO's. No offense, but it took me an extraterrestrial amount of patience and effort to see a bug in those pictures. And even then it looked like something out of Mulder's pocket.

[/metaobservation]

You can have a better view if you enchance the images with some graphics software by adding contrast and brightness.

So I'm sitting in my dorm, drunk and naked, and I see a blotch on my wall. First thought is, I dont rember that there, maybe it'sa bug.

Looks sort of like a moth. As I get closer to it, curious as to its identity, I hope it's not one of those house centipedes.

Then I get closer sitl, and I see all its ugly legs played and crawling. I don't even know wha to do know. I'm all creeped out. creeped out from my groin everywhere.

What a horrid beastie. think I'm gonna smasch it to hell.

oh dear lord those creatures are unbleiveably disgusting. it moves and I hate it,

fear and loathing fear and loathing.

Lamoni-Tristian said:
The bug was about an inch long, with 12 uniform legs on both sides. The legs were coloured orange with black stripes, much like a spider. They went up to a joint, and back down to the ground. It had two, maybe three feelers at it's backside, which raised up when it was alerted. The front side had at least two feelers, maybe more. The didn't seem as big as the back ones. The body of the bug was orange-coloured, about an inch long, and didn't seem to have sections, though I didn't get a good look. It resembled a silverfish, but obviously wasn't, due to the uniform legs, while a silverfish has three accentuated legs. The bug also ran -very- quickly, about as fast as a small silver-coloured silverfish.-Lamoni-Tristian

Well, only you can know for sure. Why don't you start by going to a nearby library or bookstore (Nobles Books) and paging through their field guides about insects, arthropods, and spiders. First try to find one similar, then jot down te scientific name and use that as a basis for an internet search. That might help. 12 uniform legs. hmmm. I've never heard of a twelve legged centipede, but just perhaps somehow part of the remiaing legs were bitten off by a predator. I've also heard of frogs with 5,6,7 or more legs from mutations?

For SciFi, here's a possibility:
"The behir is a twelve-legged reptilian creature, with the head of a crocodile, the body of a great serpent and covered with metallic blue scales, used by the drow as a fighting beast. It has a voracious appetite for flesh, especially humanoid, and is often only kept by races who keep slaves (the old and infirm of which are often fed to them). They are 2 to 4 hex-long figures (depending on ST - i.e. 10 ST per hex in length). They attack by biting for 1+2 damage in regular or (preferred) HTH combat. In HTH combat, the behir can also strike with 1d6 limbs for 1-1 damage each (roll 1d6 each round to see how many limbs free the behir has to fight with.).
A behir can also breath a bolt of lightning for 1 die damage per fST expended, but can only store up enough charge for 4 dice per hour.
They naturally occur in deep caverns near water, where they hunt and kill large quantities of cavefish by electrifying the water. Drow are the only race known to cultivate them extensively."
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~casliber/tft/intellimonsters.html

The house centipede hatches with four legs and works its way up to 15 pairs.

from wikipedia

House centipedes have as few as four pairs of legs when they are hatched. With each molting, they gain a new pair.

Last edited:
Pete said:
Wash your mouth out!

Fantasy ≠ SciFi
Cool off Pete. You read what I posted BEFORE the scifi. I just added that short article in as a joke. Kind,ve kilarious that there's also a 12 legged monster out there too, isn't. ha ha Just a joke. lighten up.

K i really need some help im a countryboy(woodsman) all my life i've found a bug i've never seen before. Really will blow your mind looks like a lobster crossed with ant body. Only have my phone to text pics not up to date on how to use new technology but

could possibly email. Its still alive help please. Email at bday5513@gmail.com if u can be some help.

K i really need some help im a countryboy(woodsman) all my life i've found a bug i've never seen before. Really will blow your mind looks like a lobster crossed with ant body. Only have my phone to text pics not up to date on how to use new technology but

could possibly email. Its still alive help please. Email at bday5513@gmail.com if u can be some help.

If it looks something like this:
ipm1020molecricket.jpg

It's a mole-cricket
Lots of different species; do an image search.
It's a burrower, so you may just have not seen it on the surface before.
The ones I've seen around here are gray and fuzzy.

The bug was about an inch long, with 12 uniform legs on both sides. The legs were coloured orange with black stripes, much like a spider. They went up to a joint, and back down to the ground. It had two, maybe three feelers at it's backside, which raised up when it was alerted. The front side had at least two feelers, maybe more. The didn't seem as big as the back ones. The body of the bug was orange-coloured, about an inch long, and didn't seem to have sections, though I didn't get a good look. It resembled a silverfish, but obviously wasn't, due to the uniform legs, while a silverfish has three accentuated legs. The bug also ran -very- quickly, about as fast as a small silver-coloured silverfish.
I guess it has been identified as a centipede, which together with millipedes and a few odds and ends makes up the arthropod subphylum Myriapoda. They don't have a standard number of legs and range from fewer than ten to more than seven hundred.

Without a picture I was going to suggest that it might be an isopod, an order of crustaceans, which are also a subphylum of arthropods. All isopods have 14 legs. Most crustaceans are aquatic (and many are delicious: lobsters, shrimp, crabs, etc. ;)), but the isopods, which include woodlice and pillbugs or "roly-poly bugs," are a wildly successful clade of terrestrial crustaceans, encompassing more than ten thousand species.
If this really was a cockroach, I would strongly recommend calling an exterminator. Cockroaches are disease carrying and filthy, and if two are in the house, it is very likely there are more.
Actually, cockroaches are fastidious creatures who spend more time cleaning themselves than cats. If you have cockroaches it's because they found food lying around, so you or someone in your neighborhood is the slob!

Cockroaches are hardy, able to survive a long time without food and even capable of enduring freezing temperatures. They may be somewhat more intelligent than the average insect, but their real advantage is the use of chemicals to communicate, coordinating swarm behavior that can be quite a challenge to deal with.

Virtually all common insecticides are lethal to cockroaches, and since they are likely coming from somewhere else rather than breeding in your house, an expensive one-time extermination may not be the proper response, unless you can get everyone on your block to participate in the fumigation.

What you have to do is find the slob in your neighborhood whose housekeeping is so poor that it attracts cockroaches. Once you fumigate or exterminate him ;), then if you are just diligent about not leaving food lying around (including dishes of soft pet food, "cockroach heaven") and keeping your trash sealed, they'll go find another house with more for them to eat. Then use malathion or any common bug spray to kill off the stragglers.

If you want you can lay out boric acid trails. This kills them by dehydration rather than biochemistry, so they can't evolve an immunity to it. It's harmless to mammals and birds, it is lethal to virtually all insects and other arthropods, and it doesn't smell.

Or you can let them live, as it is their land and not yours.
They're probably talking about what a horrible human infestation they've been having lately.

Back