Story by Langston Hughes

Re: Jan Ardeena

Originally posted by Adam
This thread will give you an idea what atheism and all that means to me.

It was this thread that prompted me to post.

As for your drive-by shooting question... I wouldn't give a damn either way what such people believed. I would not care about their religion, their politics, their sex lives, their favourite foods, or their favourite music. I'd just lock the bastards up for ever.

I understand and agree with your sentiment.
So when it boils down to it, how we act is who we are, would you agree?

Love

Jan Ardena.

If I could boil down the meaning of it all into something easy like that I'd probably be a billionaire. *shrug*

Originally posted by Adam
If I could boil down the meaning of it all into something easy like that I'd probably be a billionaire. *shrug*

If you could, why would you want to be a billionaire, or do you just want to be a billionaire anywayz? :D

But seriously though, what else could it possibly be?

Love

Jan Ardena.

"Salvation" is a chapter in The Big Sea, one of Langston Hughes' autobiographies. The ironic title foreshadows Hughes' loss of faith: " . . . now I didn't believe there was a Jesus any more, since he didn't come to help me." Hughes' experience demonstrates how adults confuse children when they don't explain the religious metaphors.

Auntie Reed is primarily responsible for Langston's loss of faith. Instead of explaining to the young Langston that Jesus' words as they appear in The Sermon on the Mount serve a useful guide for living one's life, she told him that "when you were saved you saw a light, and something happened to your insides!" This figurative description had no meaning for the boy, because he took these metaphors literally. He expected literally to see a light and literally to feel something happen to his insides. He believed his aunt's descriptions of salvation, because he had heard "a great many old people say the same thing."

During the last meeting of the revival when the children were to be saved, Langston gave up believing in Jesus, because he saw no light and did not feel Jesus had done something to his insides. As he sat on the mourners' bench with another young sinner named Westley, he felt guilty as the adults encouraged him to come and be saved. His confusion magnified when Westley finally got up and was "saved." Langston knew Westley had not experienced Jesus. So when Langston finally stood up to be saved, he lost his faith, because he knew the act was a lie. He had not seen a light and had not felt something happen. Westley had lied too and even said, "God damn" and didn't seem to be suffering for sins.

That night when Langston cries because he lied and deceived everybody, he shows that he is a good person. He didn't want to disappoint the adults. He knows he lied because he pretended to accept that metaphor when he did not even understand it. He suffered because he lied, which demonstrates that he was a good Christian who accepts the commandment against lying. But as a child the young Langston does not understand his own goodness. Auntie Reed is lost in the metaphor and completely misreads Langston's feelings. When she hears him crying, she explains to her husband that Langston experienced the Holy Ghost and saw Jesus.

Adult ignorance of a child's literal mind causes children to suffer loss of self- esteem. Adults become entangled in their metaphors and do not realize that those metaphors need to be interpreted for children. If Auntie Reed had explained that loving others and being loved by them is like a light in your life, twelve-year-old Langston would have accepted that as "seeing a light." If she had explained that seeing people respond to good deeds is seeing Jesus, he would have understood also. The unexplained metaphors of "light" and "seeing Jesus" resulted in confusion to the child, who then suffered a loss of faith in the existence of Christ and a loss of trust in his own good nature.

Back