Sterile animals

invert_nexus said:
I've heard that scottie dogs need a little help to breed. Their front legs are too short or something. Sounds odd to me, I mean just cuz their legs are too short doesn't mean they can't hop up.
I don't know anyone who breeds Scottish terriers so I can't comment, but it doesn't ring true. I know that Yorkshire terriers often need to be delivered by c-section because their heads are too big. I call that a case of overbreeding.

As for a dog's legs being too short, that's hard to believe. When two dogs want to do it, nothing can keep them apart. I've seen 40 pound dogs who were impregnated by 15 pound dogs. The female just squats down. They also get creative about finding cushions or stairsteps to stand on. The same animal who can't figure out how to right an overturned food dish can be amazingly cunning when it comes to sex.

About twenty years ago there was a well documented case of a Labrador retriever who got pregnant from a chihuahua. The puppies were so small that nobody knew she was pregnant until she started delivering them. If those two could get together then anything is possible.

Back