St.Paul: the saint or the lier?

§outh§tar said:
Atheists are not known for scholarship. They are mainly reactionaries. For various personal or emotional reasons, they have rejected faith in God. Their disbelief is not the result of careful research and objective evaluation of factual data. But, being unwilling to simply wither away in their own intellectual stagnation, some of them lash out at believers – usually in the most irrational way.

It's actually quite alright to quit reading here. The author is wrong on so many levels in the opening paragraph, it is safe to conclude that the content of the article is almost definitely not reliable. Many atheists 'reject' God (don't believe in God is a better wording) not for emotional reasons, but for logical reasons. To suggest otherwise is folly; I can guarentee you there are many atheists out there who would be overwhelmed with joy to find out that there really is a God. Also, to pretend that atheists don't do their research is also complete nonsense. Of course, some of them don't--fair enough--but it's not really their responsibility to disprove shaky evidence. It's the Christian scholar's burden of proof. Also, no, many do not lash out at believers in the most irrational way. Most lashing-out on the non-believer side comes from frustration due to the believer's faulty arguments or inability to listen to reason.

Our skeptical friends would do well to explore the darkness of their souls to determine what sort of psychical abnormality therein exists that so frantically drives them to distort truth.

You have got to be kidding me.

The divided Christian Kingdom. There more than a dozen families of protestant denominations, and thousands of individual christian faith groups -- over 1,000 in North America alone. Some of these groups believe that they are the only true Christian Church. How would one find the true Christian church There appears to be no clear, obvious choice. But the ones that have already chosen a church believe that their own denominations is the True Christian Church.
I'm stating what I've observed. Christians who are protestants see a *collective* church which includes denominations that teach essential christian doctrines, while Catholics believe a nonmember could be found to be a member.

As for your third century quote, it's false. The word "catholic," meaning universal, was used by Ignatius and Iranaeus well before the third century.

Building cathedras is not a bad thing provided the workmen who build them are paid. If gold is used to glorify God, then it's used for good purposes. Besides, gold was created by God, correct?

I don't think there is 'one true church'. In my opinion, a true church isn't a denomination, but belief in the Bible and every word as being true.

Enigma'07 said:
I don't think there is 'one true church'. In my opinion, a true church isn't a denomination, but belief in the Bible and every word as being true.

but belief in the Bible and every word as being true.
[/QUOTE]

Do you believe that Jesus(pbuh) said these things?

(a) "Why callest me good? There is none good but one, that is God" Matt. 19:17);
(b) "for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28);
(c) "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me" (John 7:16);
(d) "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matt. 27:46);
(e) "Who has gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God" (1 Peter 3:22); (See also: Mark 13:32, 1 cor. 11:3, John 5:19, 20:17, Matt. 26:39 and many others).

Dont they disprove the trinity doctrine? Just wondering what you think....peace

Enigma'07 said:
Paul teaches the same as Jesus did.

Jesus--"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven...." (Matt. 5:17-19) and "it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fall" (Luke 16:17) and "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: all therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do" (Matt. 23:2-3) and (John 7:19, Mark 1:44) versus Paul--"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ" (Rom. 7:4) and "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law" (Gal. 3:13) and "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" (Rom. 6:14) and "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter" (Rom. 7:6) and (Rom. 10:4, 3:28, Gal. 3:23-25, 5:2-4, 18, 2:19, 21, 16, 4:10, Eph. 2:15, Col. 2:14, 16, Heb. 7:19, 1 Cor. 8:8 and many others). Jesus said the law would stand till heaven and earth passed, while Paul said it need no longer be followed.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that after Jesus died, a person didn't need to follow the law to be saved, they needed to believe in Him. Paul was speaking to Jews, people who were taught to follow the law to be saved. Since now Jesus died, the law wasn't how people got saved, they got saved by believeing in Jesus. Now, the laws still are important because one way we show others we are Christians are by our actions. Does this make any sense or did I confuse you? I try to clarify if need be.

Enigma'07 said:
I think the confusion arises from the fact that after Jesus died, a person didn't need to follow the law to be saved, they needed to believe in Him. Paul was speaking to Jews, people who were taught to follow the law to be saved. Since now Jesus died, the law wasn't how people got saved, they got saved by believeing in Jesus. Now, the laws still are important because one way we show others we are Christians are by our actions. Does this make any sense or did I confuse you? I try to clarify if need be.

I understand what you are saying but dont you understand that Jesus(pbuh) said the exact opposite!! let me say it again:

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments and SHALL TEACH MEN SO, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven...." (Matt. 5:17-19)

That is a direct prediction of Paul/Saul....and:

"it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fall" (Luke 16:17)

Jesus(pbuh) "death" wasnt the heaven and earth passing dude armegedon(sp?) is....peace

Back